Whoa: A. Hernandez most severe case of CTE ever

Alphadawg7

title should clarify that it is the worst ever in a 27 yr old

Worst ever known in a 27 yr old gang hood - how many gang hoods get tested for CTE?

Just a minor correction but he had Stage 3 CTE, Stage 4 is the most severe.

Not sure why she would sue just the NFL, he played college and high school football, surely they are just as responsible. Nice money grab.

She should be tested for CTE before she can sue.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget CTE. His victims should sue the University of Miami. Nice kid goes off to college and two years later he's a hoodlum.

For admitting hoodlums to University of Miami? I thought it was a requirement these days.

If the violence of the game comes down then interest in it will too, which reduces revenue and in turn reduces player salaries.

Which reduces the funds for insurance, retirement, etc. Some day the NFL will declare bankruptcy to get out of these liens.

Future NFL Waiver of Liability form: "I (insert name of draftee) hereby agree that, although my genetics may be predisposed to brain tissue deterioration (including alzheimers, dementia, stroke, aneurysm, CTE and other forms of brain tissue injury or degenerative processes) I will accept a rookie contract worth several million dollars and will then be entitled to endorsement money and a second "big" contract (see holdout language, Aaron Donald rule above) and, in consideration for the above, I agree to smoke weed without being caught and demand that I should be the highest paid player in the league and, in the event I make it through six years in the league, I will then be entitled to appear on certain network sports shows wearing bright ties and wide stripe suits (even if I don't have a large diamond ring on my hand but reserving the right to wear a large diamond stud in my ear) to instruct other young players who may otherwise wish to walk the exact path as myself. Nothing herein shall limit my ability to sell tshirts and coasters on Facebook with my name and number during my NFL career".

Future NFL Waiver of Liability form: "I (insert name of draftee) hereby agree that, although my genetics may be predisposed to brain tissue deterioration (including alzheimers, dementia, stroke, aneurysm, CTE and other forms of brain tissue injury or degenerative processes) I will accept a rookie contract worth several million dollars and will then be entitled to endorsement money and a second "big" contract (see holdout language, Aaron Donald rule above) and, in consideration for the above, I agree to smoke weed without being caught and demand that I should be the highest paid player in the league and, in the event I make it through six years in the league, I will then be entitled to appear on certain network sports shows wearing bright ties and wide stripe suits (even if I don't have a large diamond ring on my hand but reserving the right to wear a large diamond stud in my ear) to instruct other young players who may otherwise wish to walk the exact path as myself. Nothing herein shall limit my ability to sell tshirts and coasters on Facebook with my name and number during my NFL career".

win

control data on this science, please.

Unsure about murder, but the relationship between CTE and depression has been pretty conclusively established IMO. That CTE and suicide are related hasn't yet been proven, but depression and suicide are linked.

Edited by GoBills808

CTE is a copout.

This guy murdered at least one person, possibly a few more, with extremely concerning behavior dating back to his late teens.

Stop giving this guy press like he's a victim in all this.

Being a boxing fan, I've seen this numerous times before where the fighter will kill his spouse, a family member or friend.

Hernandez is a special case because he was believed to be a lunatic prior, but these findings cannot be ignored.

Is it a fringe sport?

Floyd Mayweather is richer than any football player

it is no longer as big as Monday Night football though.

No longer what it once was at all.

the money? not sure that is defining the genre.

Use to be Headline news back in the Day

the case should be filed for sure.

How valid this specific story is to CTE and other injuries to the brain may be hard to prove out.

But i am in the camp that .. it happens. The severity, the consequences are each individual stories.

But the volume of these seeming relationships is not to be discounted and better appreciated i hope.

Aaron went off the deep end. Wish he had help before.

But his suicide shows us Society is not really trying to help these people.

Just corral them.

The lunatics are on the grass !

sad story for AH and everyone who finds themselves in such a horrid state of being. Including all the people who watched this Transpire.

I don't want to hear any BS about CTE causing this thug to kill people.

Most people don't

All this cte stuff might end up finishing off the nfl financially before all is said and done.

Actually they could make a lot of money.

Mandatory retirement after 3 year rookie contract. 5 year option handed out on a limited basis.

They could also do things like suspensions for any hit involving the head, or blow the whistle when they are in the grasp, stop taking people to the ground. NFL's already a shell of itself.

the case should be filed for sure.

How valid this specific story is to CTE and other injuries to the brain may be hard to prove out.

But i am in the camp that .. it happens. The severity, the consequences are each individual stories.

But the volume of these seeming relationships is not to be discounted and better appreciated i hope.

Aaron went off the deep end. Wish he had help before.

But his suicide shows us Society is not really trying to help these people.

Just corral them.

The lunatics are on the grass !

sad story for AH and everyone who finds themselves in such a horrid state of being. Including all the people who watched this Transpire.

Most people don't

Please tell us how society should have "helped" him? Corral him? So how many murders does he get before society should go from help to corral?

Being a boxing fan, I've seen this numerous times before where the fighter will kill his spouse, a family member or friend.

Hernandez is a special case because he was believed to be a lunatic prior, but these findings cannot be ignored.

I think it can be ignored. They're being paid handsomely and many players were impoverished and this was the easiest way to richville.

They know the risks before they strap on the pads.

It's a gamble but it's their gamble to make. If I could have played professionally I would have.

A few broken eggs... meh...

Joining the military can be bad for your health and you don't get paid like pro athletes. I don't see anyone trying to discourage people from joining the military.

Edited by likei've

Wasn't he into gangs before he ever entered the NFL? CTE isn't an excuse for him being a murdering scumbag.

I don't disagree with you at all on this, he was inherently a scum bag in this regard from everything I have seen on him. Just wondering how much this CTE starts to impact overall public perception. More interesting though is going to be the liability teams can face moving forward based on the potential impact of this case. If the team ultimately loses a case like this, its going to prevent any teams in the future taking chances on prospects with any off field concerns I would think.

title should clarify that it is the worst ever in a 27 yr old

Was too long, which is why people should read more than just a title before replying as it directly references the age in the OP. Not singling you out, its just a common thing around here where people respond to a thread title and don't actually read the OP,

The lawyer representing the Hernandez family is Jose Baez. It starts losing credibility once you remember that's the "person" who defended Casey Anthony.

Ha wow...agreed lol

How many 27 year olds have been tested? Is this like the tallest guy to ever be the first to walk on the moon?

Regardless, he'd been playing football and doing his little "gang thing" for a long, long time. Way to sue the deep pockets for your personal choices. Shocking...

Give a bunch of steroid-addled 27 year olds Alzheimer's and there would absolutely be violent crimes committed.

Also, after asking my wife, who is a health care provider, elderly Alz patients do commit violent acts on a frequent basis. It's just that they're old, and less likely to do as much damage.

I work in health care as well., I have worked with various groups with degenerative brain diseases. There is a big difference between aggression, and being a murderer. I won't buy for a minute that a brain disorder is creating murderers. It's a convenient excuse for a violent scumbag. Do we take accountability for any of our actions in today's society?

Is there any chance that violent sports might attract some people who already have violent tendencies? Also what percentage of football players and boxers are murderers? It's probably no higher than that of the general public. Therefore the CTE copout isn't necessarily reality. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I don't disagree with you at all on this, he was inherently a scum bag in this regard from everything I have seen on him. Just wondering how much this CTE starts to impact overall public perception. More interesting though is going to be the liability teams can face moving forward based on the potential impact of this case. If the team ultimately loses a case like this, its going to prevent any teams in the future taking chances on prospects with any off field concerns I would think.

Was too long, which is why people should read more than just a title before replying as it directly references the age in the OP. Not singling you out, its just a common thing around here where people respond to a thread title and don't actually read the OP,

Ha wow...agreed lol

One might consider dropping things like "whoa" from the title if forced to choose which info to include... one might.

How many 27 year olds have been tested? Is this like the tallest guy to ever be the first to walk on the moon?

Regardless, he'd been playing football and doing his little "gang thing" for a long, long time. Way to sue the deep pockets for your personal choices. Shocking...

I have to believe that very few 27 year olds have been tested.

Please tell us how society should have "helped" him? Corral him? So how many murders does he get before society should go from help to corral?

Murders?

He was off the rails well before the crimes that were legally punished

Edited by 3rdand12

Do the chest beating PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY types really not understand mitigating circumstances?

Nobody wants to wipe Hernandez's slate clean because he had CTE. It just might help explain how a bad guy was made worse. The brain is the most complex object on the planet, and we all have one, but understand so little about it. I'm glad smart people are trying to figure it out and how we might limit such damage in the future.

Do the chest beating PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY types really not understand mitigating circumstances?

Nobody wants to wipe Hernandez's slate clean because he had CTE. It just might help explain how a bad guy was made worse. The brain is the most complex object on the planet, and we all have one, but understand so little about it. I'm glad smart people are trying to figure it out and how we might limit such damage in the future.

No, because excuses can rarely be made for murder. There have always been murderers, and there always will be. Nothing will stop it. Sometimes there is simply evil in the world. Study CTE all you want, but Hernandez is a unique case. The guy already had a track that spoke for itself.

There is no need to explain what "made a bad guy worse". It reminds me of the 60 minute specials where they profile a murderer. They always point to something that scarred the person during their childhood. We all have these issues in our life, while some may be much worse than others, they are still no excuse. There has to be evil within someone to do such a thing imo. Much of this just comes down to personal beliefs imo.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Generally, the primary feature of mental disorders are poor impulse control (affective disorders) or disorganized thought (psychotic disorders). Alzheimer's - and, by extension, CTE - share properties of both. Neither is conducive to the sort of willful and premeditated murders that Hernandez committed.

In other words: he was an !@#$, and CTE almost certainly had very little contribution to it.

I can't stand when families try to go after money because of stuff like this. Everyone should know the dangers of playing football. It is a violent game and nothing is promised for the present and future. And they almost act like it an excuse to gun down 3 people, or however he actually murdered. I get there is legal stuff involved, but it should be common sense that football is not good for the head trauma

Nope to much money involved. People put aside the risks for millions.

Exactly. If someone told me right now the risks of football, but offered me a 40 million dollar contract, I would 100 percent play

I can't stand when families try to go after money because of stuff like this. Everyone should know the dangers of playing football. It is a violent game and nothing is promised for the present and future. And they almost act like it an excuse to gun down 3 people, or however he actually murdered. I get there is legal stuff involved, but it should be common sense that football is not good for the head trauma

Exactly. If someone told me right now the risks of football, but offered me a 40 million dollar contract, I would 100 percent play

Thank God he had marijuana to calm those CTE-influenced violent outbursts. Otherwise someone might've died.

http://nypost.com/2017/02/23/aaron-hernandez-might-use-weed-as-defense-in-double-murder-trial/

Hernandez’s affinity for marijuana was integral in his first murder trial, in which he was convicted of killing Odin Lloyd, a semi-pro football player, in June 2013. According to testimony from the trial, Hernandez ran up a $243 bar tab and smoked pot in the hours before Lloyd — the boyfriend of his fiancee’s sister — was shot to death.

McGovern notes that Lloyd – who was called the “blunt master” by one of Hernandez’s former attorneys – was Hernandez’s source for marijuana, which he would at times smoke up to an ounce per day.

Edited by The Frankish Reich