Whoa: A. Hernandez most severe case of CTE ever

Alphadawg7

The game is a contact sport. It comes with the grounds of playing the game.

Will I see football changing? Yes!

It will always evolve. But, it's not the NFL's fault. The only way to solve this is create a safer game, advance equipment and create an health insurance program for current NFL players and NFL veterans. It's a 4 billion industry and the care of the players should be a staple going forward.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, boxing is most certainly a fringe sport, even if 3 or 4 guys in the world, at any point in time, make enormous money.

That's just a function of the economics of the sport, not it's overall popularity or widespread appeal.

Fair enough. Maybe it's because I grew up around it

Wonder how many times he got his head beat during street fights? Also, what's with the definitive link of CTE to murderous behavior? Why aren't people with other brain disorders such as Alzheimer's/Dementia going around committing mass crime? This doesn't add up. Every time a criminal NFL player commits a crime, it's now CTE.

I am a transplant living in CT and a friend here grew up in the same town (Bristol, CT) as A. Hernandez and his father knows/knew the Hernandez family. He (father) said that Hernandez was a good kid until his father, who was a strong influence and role model, passed away. He got in with the wrong crowd after that and it went downhill from there.

BREAKING NEWS: Scientists discover a correlation between losing a father and CTE. Fatherless sons everywhere sue NFL...

Wasn't he into gangs before he ever entered the NFL? CTE isn't an excuse for him being a murdering scumbag.

Yes, he was. I agree, this diagnosis should not be construed as an excuse for his commission of murder. While it may have affected his emotional state, the crimes he committed, at least as far as what I can tell, look like they were a premeditated part of the illicit activities he was involved in. The murders and the CTE are separate issues as far as I'm concerned.

Why don't we ever hear about CTE in boxing or hockey? Is there a sport that produces more trauma to the head than boxing ? I know the hitting may be less frequent in hockey but you add skates to a professional athlete in top physical shape so now instead of running at 20mph they are skating at 30mph and you aren't getting hit in an open field , you are getting checked into a board. Your head isn't hitting the turf, it is hitting ice. I do think that it would be naïve to believe that sports that produce so much impact and force wouldnt cause some type of long-term effect, however acts of violence and murder I believe are more of a genetic predisposition then something caused by CTE

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn

Guest NeckBeard

Why don't we ever hear about CTE in boxing or hockey? Is there a sport that produces more trauma to the head than boxing ? I know the hitting may be less frequent in hockey but you add skates to a professional athlete in top physical shape so now instead of running at 20mph they are skating at 30mph and you aren't getting hit in an open field , you are getting checked into a board. Your head isn't hitting the turf, it is hitting ice

We do hear about it in hockey. Absolutely. Google it. Very interesting reads.