Dion Dawkins Update

cover1

I think I speak for most of us when I say that we are pretty surprised that Dawkins hasn't beaten out Jordan Mills. I dont think it will be long, if there is one thing that this staff has made clear, competition will always be present. So if Dawkins continues to improve he will crack the lineup. But here is a breakdown of his preseason.

I think I speak for most of us when I say that we are pretty surprised that Dawkins hasn't beaten out Jordan Mills. I dont think it will be long, if there is one thing that this staff has made clear, competition will always be present. So if Dawkins continues to improve he will crack the lineup. But here is a breakdown of his preseason.

Great stuff as always, Erik. I think having to play both the left and right side hurt him in his battle for the starting RT position. But he'll be starting by midseason.

Cheers Erik. I thought his best game in pass pro was the Eagles game where he played left tackle. Does that match what you saw? I still feel as though he finds the foot movement in the vertical drops a little more "natural" at left tackle than at right. My guess throughout has been that he takes over for Mills after the bye.

Glens injury which forced Dion to take LT reps probably hurt Dion a little bit. Its hard enough for a rookie to come in and learn the NFL game but throw in being shuffled around in a couple different positions instead of getting constant reps at one position slows down the learning curve.

Cheers Erik. I thought his best game in pass pro was the Eagles game where he played left tackle. Does that match what you saw? I still feel as though he finds the foot movement in the vertical drops a little more "natural" at left tackle than at right. My guess throughout has been that he takes over for Mills after the bye.

i don't now, he looked (footwork) pretty awkward on the right side, so it may take awhile before it becomes a little more natural for him. He'd certainly improve the run game, but then they'd have to give him help in pass pro, which limits your options a bit. Hope he's working on it in his sleep...

Dude mauls the **** out of people in the run game, but has issues with footwork in pass protection. Playing guard maximizes your mauling the **** out of people and lessens the need to be a ballerina.

Yep, that's how I feel about him right now. Hopefully he can develop footwork so he doesn't appear lost on an island with the pass rusher. His body language in some of the clips by the OP(thank you for those) make him look tentative and as if he is forcing himself. The one clip where his drop foot is kicking back and touching is text book practice rep. It appears Like many players up to this point physical ability has carried them. At the NFL level he will need to improve technique. It can be done.

Glens injury which forced Dion to take LT reps probably hurt Dion a little bit. Its hard enough for a rookie to come in and learn the NFL game but throw in being shuffled around in a couple different positions instead of getting constant reps at one position slows down the learning curve.

Might've hurt him in the short term but I'm sure the coaches are pleased that he got the varied experience this offseason.

Thanks for this breakdown. OL men have an adjustment period but the talent is there, his pass pro needs a big step up this year. Hope someone sends him to offensive line school this offseason.

Might've hurt him in the short term but I'm sure the coaches are pleased that he got the varied experience this offseason.

Agree. Trial by fire in preseason is always a good thing.

Love these vids you make, I appreciate the time you put into them to share with everyone.

The kid is an absolute beast of a run blocker but he sure does look awkward with that vertical drop kick deal he does. I think you are right, it's a matter of muscle memory and the only way to work through that is repetition repetition and more repetition. I'm guessing it's only a matter of time before he becomes a starter.

Agreed. His scouting reports also said he would make a better guard than tackle. I see Dawkins as a long-term replacement for Incognito. We still need to get a RT.

People said the same thing about Glenn. One of the few things Buddy Nix got right.

Edited by Wayne Arnold

Great post

I just don't see our offense and specifically the passing game predominantly 5 and 7 step drops. There are myriad reasons for this. First the right side of the line is not good at pass blocking. Second they have at best average deep threats. Third even as a TT supporter, I don't tihnk his game should be deep crosses or deep outs. I think(hope) TT's game evolves to seeing the whole field better and they take advantage of Clay and the slot WR abilities this offense has. To me that means more three step drops, quick throws out of the shotgun or pistol, and moving the pocket.

If I am wrong and they ask TT and the OL to utilize 7 step drop backs and deep route concepts, then who is really to blame? Posters bash the run heavy 1970's offense. Well a passing game based on 7 step drops is also a relic of the past

It use to be right tackles and interior lineman were considered plug and play positions esp if they were drafted high. But O-line play in college is mostly built around the spread offense so there is a serious issue with O-linemen needing more time to develop their fundamentals. Hopefully as Dawkins develops he can help anchor that position.

It use to be right tackles and interior lineman were considered plug and play positions esp if they were drafted high. But O-line play in college is mostly built around the spread offense so there is a serious issue with O-linemen needing more time to develop their fundamentals. Hopefully as Dawkins develops he can help anchor that position.

Agreed. The bust rate for O-line in the first two rounds seems to have increased. Perhaps Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, and Joe Thomas have been the outliers and all along the bust rate has been the same. For a while though it seemed if you got a LT high in the draft you were set for years. See Mike Williams for the exception....

This is the best thread in quite awhile. Staring with Erik's coverage.

I want to tell each of you who posted that i appreciate reading each of your comments.

and quite pleased no one has mentioned Tyrod or Peterman yet ( oops 0:) )

I have enjoyed watching Dion so far. The tough part is he has covered Glenn and not replaced Mills yet. But in the long run, it is best for everyone concerned.

I really like this kid

He is an NFL lineman. The footwork is all the same. Moving from one side to the other doesn't have much of an impact

well , except it is opposite for tackles especially. But i get ya

Agreed. The bust rate for O-line in the first two rounds seems to have increased. Perhaps Walter Jones, Jonathan Ogden, Orlando Pace, and Joe Thomas have been the outliers and all along the bust rate has been the same. For a while though it seemed if you got a LT high in the draft you were set for years. See Mike Williams for the exception....

It seemed like LT was the only position along the line where the bust rate for players taken in the first two rounds was high. That's why teams still take LT's very highly not just for strategic importance but because they can be hard to find. C, G, and RT 10-15 years ago were considered very safe picks esp in the first two rounds. But now those positions seems to require more development as the skills learned in college are only applicable to spread offenses.

So back when colleges ran offenses that were much more similar to pro-style offenses you had a much clearer picture of what a O-line prospect could do and how good his technique and abilities on field were. Now a lot of these linemen are drafted more on their athletic profiles and raw ability, which paints a much more incomplete picture.

Now you are looking at players at what was thought to be a plug and play position taking 2-3 years to really develop. That's why I think you are seeing more guards and centers taken higher in the draft because the supply of good prospects are so low. But as Jonathon Cooper and Chance Warmack showed you don't get a sure thing taking guards that high.

Edited by billsfan89