Why are you still watching?

This isn't a sarcastic, pessimistic question. Unless they pull a miracle this year, this team isn't gonna be good. Don't get me wrong, I would be happiest person on this board if I'm wrong, and I hope I am. But logically speaking, this isn't projected to be "Our year."

That being said, why are you still watching the games? For me, it's a few things. First, when we finally turn that corner, be it this year, next year, or 17 more years, I don't want to be called a bandwagon, fair weather fan. I want to say that I saw the transition, and watched them crawl up the ladder to finally hoist that Lombardi Trophy.

This, along with it being more than just tradition. I know this is cliche here, but The Buffalo Bills are more than just 53 guys on a field. It's the experience I have with my dad. Had with my grandpa, and uncles, who passed on. My great grandfather was a season ticket holder from day one, until the day he died. Not to mention newer friends I've made, both in real life, and on this board.

Other than the 2nd half of last season where my work schedule conflicted with The Bills, I've watched games at the same bar, with the same group of Bills fans, every week. Made some awesome friends there, that I'd never know if not for the Bills. I look forward to having beers with them, and celebrating garbage time touchdowns like we just won the super bowl just because it irks the Texans and Cowboys fans on the other side of the bar.

I'm excited for this season, and every season, no matter what. Just interested in hearing your reasons for sticking with this team are.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the last few years of "high" expectations haven't worked out. Let's see what low expectations get us.

Really though, stick with em even through the bad years, it makes the good years more fun. Ever see a pats fan that seemingly doesn't really care that they're in the super bowl? Cause they're accustomed to it. Not so much fun. When the Bills finally get there again it'll feel like the cubs last season

Because the Bills are a disease that you can't get rid of. Eff this team, eff their management and all the stupid decisions they have made recently and will continue to make.

But I'll watch every snap again this season wishing they somehow catch lightning in a bottle. Spoiler alert: they won't

Because at the end of the day it's entertainment. It's an escape from the ordinary stresses of our daily lives. I remember how fun the games were when the Bills were in those Super Bowl runs, and would love to experience that again. In reality, no matter what happens to the Bills, I have to get up in the morning, go to work, and live my life. But even after 17 years of this, I still enjoy watching football. I just don't have the same connection with any of the other teams as I do with the one in my area. And I know they will be successful again, Nothing lasts forever, even the Bills will get their chance again. Sooner would be better than later, but since i have no control of that, all I have is hope, which as it turns out, is not easily extinguished.

Because once a Bills fan, always a Bills fan = 56 years and still going.

And, as a fan, no matter how absurd it seems, there is always the optimism of a new season. The hope that this will be the year, that someday, somehow, this might be the year the football God's shine down on this team and they make a miraculous run to the playoff despite all olds.

Its week one, and we're still in first place, there is hope (which of course, as Harlen Coben writes, "it is the cruelest of virtues").

I am interested in the whole process of building a winning team. Have been a Bills fan since 1970.

I am intrigued with the off season and how the moves made will impact the future of the franchise.

Some decisions I agree with, some I don't, many I don't completely understand.

Then the games start and we all get to see if the team is moving in the right direction.

I believe we will see some real progress this year, but that might just be because I was so disgusted with the product turned out last year.

New year, new staff, a lot of new players. Tough schedule. How will it all go down? Exciting. Go Bills.

Edited by richardb1952

As a long time KC Royals fan, I will tell you that it is worth it to watch the process unfold. It was painful to watch for many years but we could see the turnaround in about 2012 and then the 2014 and 2015 World Series years were a marvelous ride for us.

It has been 17 going on probably 19 years for us Bills fans, but it makes it that much more special when we reach the top. I am discouraged going into this year like many, but will still watch due to loyalty and the interest in the process. Lets hope it works within 4-5 years or we may face another rebuild.

This isn't a sarcastic, pessimistic question. Unless they pull a miracle this year, this team isn't gonna be good. Don't get me wrong, I would be happiest person on this board if I'm wrong, and I hope I am. But logically speaking, this isn't projected to be "Our year."

That being said, why are you still watching the games? For me, it's a few things. First, when we finally turn that corner, be it this year, next year, or 17 more years, I don't want to be called a bandwagon, fair weather fan. I want to say that I saw the transition, and watched them crawl up the ladder to finally hoist that Lombardi Trophy.

This, along with it being more than just tradition. I know this is cliche here, but The Buffalo Bills are more than just 53 guys on a field. It's the experience I have with my dad. Had with my grandpa, and uncles, who passed on. My great grandfather was a season ticket holder from day one, until the day he died. Not to mention newer friends I've made, both in real life, and on this board.

Other than the 2nd half of last season where my work schedule conflicted with The Bills, I've watched games at the same bar, with the same group of Bills fans, every week. Made some awesome friends there, that I'd never know if not for the Bills. I look forward to having beers with them, and celebrating garbage time touchdowns like we just won the super bowl just because it irks the Texans and Cowboys fans on the other side of the bar.

I'm excited for this season, and every season, no matter what. Just interested in hearing your reasons for sticking with this team are.

Because I've been watching them every year since the team's inception. Why would I stop now? They're my team, always will be. Good or bad, win or lose, I'm a Bills fan. It's part of who I am. Go Bills.

I will follow but probably not watch, as Bills will be on the short end 3 out of 4 times this season, I don't get any of the games anyway, am surrounded by Redskins/College FB fans and I am a bit tired of being a slave to the NFL every Sunday. Time to do some other things on Sunday and watch MNF, TNF, etc. which is a better fit with my golf affliction anyway :)

Edited by jmcraig44

Well, first off, I'm going to still follow for a lot of the similar reasons to what you said. The Bills are a connection to friends and family and a cathartic experience that shakes off the good and bad of the day-to-day. Also, as much as we joke about "the process" with this particular leadership crew, I'm also more interested in the process, the development, the stories. If you tie it all to a championship-or-die mentality, then sheer mathematics say most fans are going to be miserable most decades.

That said, I reject the premise that has seemed to balloon in the past couple weeks that this is an especially bad team. There's certainly some chaos and some odd experiments which could easily backfire. While I can see an intriguing logic, I hate losing Sammy Watkins, Ronald Darby, and Reggie Ragland -- three players I wanted for the Bills pre-draft. However, all the tanking talk feels like a fundamental misreading of what's happening. From my vantage, they seem to be focusing on the future, while putting together a team that will not fall apart this year. I suspect they might have more faith in Tyrod Taylor than people think, and maybe instead of fawning after potentialities, most of whom are likely to never amount to all that much in the NFL despite the hype (there are more Ryan Leafs than Peyton Mannings), I'd rather root for Taylor to take another step forward so that we enter the draft as a team on the move who has a chance to build a powerhouse through the draft. If he regresses, then we cross that then. However, I really do hope that they do not do any huge trade-up to try to get a QB. Historically, that has been disastrous. Although, even if Taylor has an extraordinary year, I'd love them to pick a QB with one of their two first rounders next year, if one of the promising ones fall next year (and i NEVER want them to pick a qb high if they don't have a top two pick -- but this draft with the extra pick and many prospects).

I will follow but probably not watch, as Bills will be on the short end 3 out of 4 times this season, I don't get any of the games anyway, am surrounded by Redskins/College FB fans and I am a bit tired of being a slave to the NFL every Sunday. Time to do some other things on Sunday and watch MNF, TNF, etc. which is a better fit with my golf affliction anyway.

Not if you tee off at 8 🤷🏻‍♂️

Because I'm ordered by the courts do so. I was a hotshot lawyer that didn't play by the rules.

I got a little tipsy one night after a big win and was pulled over and arrested.

Instead of throwing me in the clink. The judge went rogue in extraordinary fashion and handed me a life sentence.

The Bills. I was ordered to watch every game for the rest of my natural life to learn about fair play, and all that other junk.

Sometimes I feel as though I would have preferred the life crippling record and jail time.

I'm taking a step back this year. I'm not watching all of the games. I've acually cancelled Sunday Ticket.

I'm quite tired of being pissed off by 4pm every Sunday.

McBeane is definitely taking this team in a new direction, for better or for worse. Maybe they end the drought in a year or 2.

Edited by Chicken Boo

At least for right now, I'm not willing to give up hope before the season starts. No matter who we traded away, we're all 0-0 and whether we're the Bills/Browns or Packers/Patriots we are all at the same spot right now.

If we do indeed start to crash and burn I'll continue to watch for the camaraderie at the Bills bar I go to and to see what Peterman does if he gets the starting nod.

I'm just as excited about this season as most.

So many changes... GM, scouts, coaches, players... This is a new Bills team. I'm curious to see what they look like.

And my expectations are about the same as usual. I emotionally hope to be surprised and see the Bills in the playoffs. I'm rationally expecting maybe .500.