Good Night / Bad Night - Pre Season Game 4

GunnerBill

Morning guys.... my final one of these of the year. Pre-season is over.... we won a game and now it is full steam ahead for week 1. Hope you have enjoyed these threads through pre-season and appreciate the comments / thoughts and feedback.

Good Night for......

Nate Peterman - My view on him coming out is pretty well known, I was not a particularly big fan. I think though that you have to say he has improved with every game this pre-season. He does look tailor made to play in this scheme and I love how quickly he is getting the ball out (granted it was against Detroit's backups). Make no mistake Tyrod remains the starter but I'm not sure the season does sink or swim on his availability in quite the way I feared at one point.

Gerald Hodges - Had a really nice game. Made some tackles in the run game and showed really nice range in coverage on a couple of occasions as well. Whether his role is purely the #2 MLB or whether he ends up rotating in with the 1s in some packages during the season remains to be seen but I like where he is at.

Brandon Reilly - Injury allowing... this walk on at Nebraska turned UDFA just made an NFL football team. His career might have been on the line last night and he went out and played like it was even making a hit on special teams. He should be very proud of the camp and pre-season he has put together.

John Miller - Competition? What competition? This cannot be serious. John Miller is a decent NFL starting guard. He has outplayed Vlad Ducasse conclusively and he had a really nice night with some big blocks in the run game driving his guy back.

Run game - Over 200 yards rushing and this was the best our run game has clicked all off-season. It looked to me like it was just a tad less vanilla as well with some pulling and a couple of counter runs but I'll need to go back and watch the all-22 (these games kick off midnight UK time I'm often watching through the desperation to sleep). Miller I have already mentioned by Dion Dawkins had a monster run block for the Jonathan Williams touchdown too and JWill has alleviated a lot of concerns with a strong pre-season. Banyard vs Taiwan Jones promises to be one of the more interesting decisions over the next 48 hours - both had good nights.

Bad Night for......

Andre Holmes - I'm not sure if he was out there and maybe if he didn't play at all that suggests the Bills are happy that he has made the roster. But he has a pretty pedestrian pre-season stat line and while he was silent or standing watching last night Brandon Reilly and Daikiel Shorts made their cases again. With the comp pick angle at play I can see Holmes being a surprise cut.

Bradley Sylve - The battle for a possible 6th cornerback berth remains alive and while Sylve's rivals in that competition Sayles and particularly Mabin made plays Bradley Sylve over pursued and whiffed on a tackle for the long catch and run touchdown. That might consign him to the cut bin.

Michael Ola - Ola was just about still in with a shot of a place in the 53 if the Bills keep a 9th lineman until the 1st Quarter injury. That could spell the end of his time in Western New York.

Rory Anderson - The big tight end was never making this team but he had a chance at an NFL pre-season touchdown to take away as a memory and put something on tape as teams look to shape practice squads and just couldn't bring it in. I know that ball wasn't perfectly thrown.... but it is a play a professional has to make.

Brandon Beane and staff - Not so much a bad night as a long one. Beane and co now have to cut this roster to 53. There are about 42 names that pick themselves.... the final 10 or 11 spots are going to be essential to crafting a football team that can compete this year and develop looking towards the future. I wish him and the personnel guys luck. We need them to nail it.

An that's it. The end.

I watched John Miller every lay he was in and he played his ass off. I see no competition at that position. Ducasse whiffed a couple of times on blocks.

Also zeroed in on Dion Dawkins, that kid gets a nice push in the run game. Also liked Reilly kid though I was sure the QB was going to get him killed.

Really hmmm he says otherwise

"I think it's bigger than that," coach Sean McDermott said of Peterman making his case as a potential opening-day starter if needed. "It's developing a young player, regardless of what position. We wanted to get him out there and give him a good look in a couple of series, and I thought he did a good job."

"Make no mistake Tyrod remains the starter​"

Don't be too sure. McD likes who he likes, and I think he likes Peterman.

Up to this point in the preseason Peterman has looked "OK". Not great. Nowhere near how someone like Dak looked last year.

Naming a starter based off how well they show in a meaningless 4th preseason game is about as bad of a decision as naming your starter for the playoffs off how a QB looks in a meaningless week 17 game. And no NFL franchise would do something THAT silly....right?

I few thoughts & strictly my humble opinion.

Some of the easier cuts should be: Vlad Ducasse, Taiwan Jones, Rory Anderson.

Solid surprise keeper: Brandon Reilly

Now let's see who our starting QB will be week 1. My prediction is - If (and that's a big IF) Tyrod starts the game, he won't finish it.

Let's Go Buffalo!!!!!

Good night: Helped their cause

Here is who stood out to me (in no particular order)

Nathan Peterman

Joe Banyard

Brandon Reilly

Trae Elston

EJ Gaines

Gerald Hodges

Greg Maybin

Matt Milano

Nick O'Leary

Logan Thomas

Ian Seau

Eddie Yarbrough

Jonathan Williams

Up to this point in the preseason Peterman has looked "OK". Not great. Nowhere near how someone like Dak looked last year.

Naming a starter based off how well they show in a meaningless 4th preseason game is about as bad of a decision as naming your starter for the playoffs off how a QB looks in a meaningless week 17 game. And no NFL franchise would do something THAT silly....right?

:lol: :lol: nice.

If Peterman had Dak's OL and WRs...

Thanks for the write-up; can't see the game until the NFL replay Sunday morning...

I really hope Peterman gets the chance to play this season, at least now and again.

Could be from benching Tyrod, injury to Tyrod, or the Bills running up the score and getting to garbage time.

The first scenario seems possible, the second probable, and the third impossible.

:w00t:

Morning guys.... my final one of these of the year. Pre-season is over.... we won a game and now it is full steam ahead for week 1. Hope you have enjoyed these threads through pre-season and appreciate the comments / thoughts and feedback.

Good Night for...... thanks for all your work. Are you going to do the regular season?

Nate Peterman - My view on him coming out is pretty well known, I was not a particularly big fan. I think though that you have to say he has improved with every game this pre-season. He does look tailor made to play in this scheme and I love how quickly he is getting the ball out (granted it was against Detroit's backups). Make no mistake Tyrod remains the starter but I'm not sure the season does sink or swim on his availability in quite the way I feared at one point.

Gerald Hodges - Had a really nice game. Made some tackles in the run game and showed really nice range in coverage on a couple of occasions as well. Whether his role is purely the #2 MLB or whether he ends up rotating in with the 1s in some packages during the season remains to be seen but I like where he is at.

Brandon Reilly - Injury allowing... this walk on at Nebraska turned UDFA just made an NFL football team. His career might have been on the line last night and he went out and played like it was even making a hit on special teams. He should be very proud of the camp and pre-season he has put together.

John Miller - Competition? What competition? This cannot be serious. John Miller is a decent NFL starting guard. He has outplayed Vlad Ducasse conclusively and he had a really nice night with some big blocks in the run game driving his guy back.

Run game - Over 200 yards rushing and this was the best our run game has clicked all off-season. It looked to me like it was just a tad less vanilla as well with some pulling and a couple of counter runs but I'll need to go back and watch the all-22 (these games kick off midnight UK time I'm often watching through the desperation to sleep). Miller I have already mentioned by Dion Dawkins had a monster run block for the Jonathan Williams touchdown too and JWill has alleviated a lot of concerns with a strong pre-season. Banyard vs Taiwan Jones promises to be one of the more interesting decisions over the next 48 hours - both had good nights.

Bad Night for......

Andre Holmes - I'm not sure if he was out there and maybe if he didn't play at all that suggests the Bills are happy that he has made the roster. But he has a pretty pedestrian pre-season stat line and while he was silent or standing watching last night Brandon Reilly and Daikiel Shorts made their cases again. With the comp pick angle at play I can see Holmes being a surprise cut.

Bradley Sylve - The battle for a possible 6th cornerback berth remains alive and while Sylve's rivals in that competition Sayles and particularly Mabin made plays Bradley Sylve over pursued and whiffed on a tackle for the long catch and run touchdown. That might consign him to the cut bin.

Michael Ola - Ola was just about still in with a shot of a place in the 53 if the Bills keep a 9th lineman until the 1st Quarter injury. That could spell the end of his time in Western New York.

Rory Anderson - The big tight end was never making this team but he had a chance at an NFL pre-season touchdown to take away as a memory and put something on tape as teams look to shape practice squads and just couldn't bring it in. I know that ball wasn't perfectly thrown.... but it is a play a professional has to make.

Brandon Beane and staff - Not so much a bad night as a long one. Beane and co now have to cut this roster to 53. There are about 42 names that pick themselves.... the final 10 or 11 spots are going to be essential to crafting a football team that can compete this year and develop looking towards the future. I wish him and the personnel guys luck. We need them to nail it.

An that's it. The end.

thanks for all your work. Are you going to do the regular season? Edited by yungmack

thanks for all your work. Are you going to do the regular season?

I am not sure this format works for regular season games in quite the same way. Also nobody can ever fully replace Bill from NYC's terrific postgame thoughts posts that have, rightly, almost legendary status on this board. A few guys tried to replace them last year and I am grateful for their efforts but Bill's were still better.

I will contibute to multiple post game threads in season but these posts have always been about people making the roster or moving up and down the depth chart etc.

I'd love to see them cut who they have to to pick up the comp picks. A lot of young guys on this team, what looks to be a good/great defense, !@#$ it, roll the dice. Already building for the future anyways.