Serious question: Is this the beginning of a tank?

Heavy Kevi

darby is more confusing to me than watkins. i at least understand the logic behind trading watkins.

Tre & Darby as your up and coming corners is something solid to build on.

Inconsistent in the past two years, but the talent is there and only 23.

Who the hell is EJ Gaines?

Edited by TheElectricCompany

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how the vets feel about these moves? A guy like Kyle who was talked into coming back this season. Or a guy like Boldin, after all the talk about him being brought in to mentor Sammy.

If the Bills had any class they'd cut Kyle Williams and let him latch on with a playoff team.

These trades, and our clear intent to rebuild through the draft make it pretty clear this team isn't going to compete for another few years while they search for and groom a young QB.

If Shady gets traded then I'll believe we are tanking.

If the Bills were smart they'd trade McCoy and get some compensation and get out from that contract.

This team is no longer built to compete this year, so we might as well cash in on McCoy.

I really look at this/these trades as an even make out based on last year, but we gained picks. Im warming up to the idea although I really liked Sammy, Darby not so much

Perhaps, but Sammy has the potential to be a BIG TIME player in this league. He may never pan out, but his ceiling is much higher than Mathews.

We picked up a #1 caliber CB and a #1 caliber WR, we also picked up an extra 2nd and extra 3rd round draft pick. I think this is smart IMO. Chances are we are not going to have a legendary championship season, so hanging it all on Watkins and Darby is stupid. As McDermott has been saying -- build for short term and long term -- I honestly think this does not have a huge impact on us short term and it has tremendous upside long term.

We drafted CB in the 1st this year, and got a 3rd for a guy in Darby whose play fell off last year. I think it makes sense.

i still think darby can be fantastic. your logic is certainly right, and i'm sure that was the reasoning. i guess it's all about picks at this point.

Edited by teef

Perhaps, but Sammy has the potential to be a BIG TIME player in this league. He may never pan out, but his ceiling is much higher than Mathews.

I agree, but at this point with his injury history and the offense we run I don't think it impacts us all that much this year. That's why I said I am bummed about Sammy but I get it

It is a half-assed tank so far. Full tank will be to gut the team further.

Downgraded at WR (not one returning WR of note from last year is on the roster).

Downgraded at CB (nobody in the defensive secondary from last year).

The "upside" is getting unproven draft picks for next year -- probably to package and draft a "franchise" QB in 2018. They probably think they can stop here and get their QB and fool people into thinking that they're trying to win games.

i still think darby can be fantastic. your logic is certainly right, and i'm sure that was the reasoning. i guess it's all about picks at this point.

I also remember reading McD likes the tall and lanky CBs, Darby does not fit what he is looking for in that regard for this defense so could be why they thought he was expendable

We picked up a #1 caliber CB and a #1 caliber WR, we also picked up an extra 2nd and extra 3rd round draft pick. I think this is smart IMO. Chances are we are not going to have a legendary championship season, so hanging it all on Watkins and Darby is stupid. As McDermott has been saying -- build for short term and long term -- I honestly think this does not have a huge impact on us short term and it has tremendous upside long term.

this is why i'm not melting down about this. it could easily be a lateral move in terms of production. it's just tough to think we lost young talent. it all comes down to what they do with those picks.

Why would you sign a 32-year-old kicker to a big $$ deal if you're tanking?!?!?! And why would you redo Taylor's contract instead of just cutting him before the extension kicked in?

I don't know if this team is bad at tanking, or so bad at trying to win that it just looks like they're tanking.

Having said that, I do think they got good value in the Darby trade. Mathews doesn't suck, and neither does a 3rd round pick.

I agree, but at this point with his injury history and the offense we run I don't think it impacts us all that much this year. That's why I said I am bummed about Sammy but I get it

this is where i'm at with it.

Heck, Darby was my favorite player his rookie year. I think he WILL be fantastic in the right place, or at least a very good NFL player. But IMO the FO looked at him in the context of this team's immediate and near-term future and decided a 3rd was equivalent if not better value for him, in light of his play last year especially, and decided to pull the trigger. I'm bummed but I also see where it's going I think.

Why is this such a shock considering they didn't pick up Watkins option? Watkins played in 8 games last year (and probably wasn't 100% in all 8 games) and already had a scare this year. No matter how great a player can be, if he's not on the field, he can't make plays.

Tre & Darby as your up and coming corners is something solid to build on.

Inconsistent in the past two years, but the talent is there and only 23.

Who the hell is EJ Gaines?

Gilmore and Darby were something solid to build on. Since drafting Dareus, up to last year, the Bills have let go - either not re-signing, or trading - every player they've picked first in the draft.

Gilmore and Darby were something solid to build on. Since drafting Dareus, up to last year, the Bills have let go - either not re-signing, or trading - every player they've picked first in the draft.

One step forward, two steps back,

the idiot dance...

Heck, Darby was my favorite player his rookie year. I think he WILL be fantastic in the right place, or at least a very good NFL player. But IMO the FO looked at him in the context of this team's immediate and near-term future and decided a 3rd was equivalent if not better value for him, in light of his play last year especially, and decided to pull the trigger. I'm bummed but I also see where it's going I think.

i'm with ya.

They can't out-tank the Jets, so we're hoping to have enough ammo to get to #2 via trade. Can't wait to take the next Bortles.

when they play the Jets, both teams D and Special Teams will just fall down and not try to tackle the other team?