Serious question: Is this the beginning of a tank?

Heavy Kevi

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gilmore and Darby were something solid to build on. Since drafting Dareus, up to last year, the Bills have let go - either not re-signing, or trading - every player they've picked first in the draft.

Our hand was likely forced with Gilmore due to poor cap management

We had 2 quality corners to build around. We now have 1. EJ Gaines is a nobody.

Trading players for draft picks makes sense when they're 32 and expensive, not 23 and contended for defensive rookie of the year in 2015.

I like this concept of "it's not a full tank." This is the Bills. When we're at full strength we're just below average, at best. Man I hate getting to the end of a long offseason to finally see some football then realize we can tack on another 12 months. In all seriousness, I'm praying we connect on our QB pick next year. God do we need this.

If the Bills had any class they'd cut Kyle Williams and let him latch on with a playoff team.

These trades, and our clear intent to rebuild through the draft make it pretty clear this team isn't going to compete for another few years while they search for and groom a young QB.

Agree might as well trade KWill Shady and Tyrod too. Were gonna gut the offense? well !@#$. get all the picks you can now.

very very poor return for Sammy Watkins

Sammy was a bad deal from the start, that very poor draft trade is making ppl biased.

Sammy could not stay healthy, which means he's a bust IMO. At least they got something for him, it's obvious either he had no intention to resign or the Bills were unwilling to pay him.

That'll happen when you have no consistency in the front office. We're the farm team for the rest of the league, and have been for a while.

Right. Farm team for the Pats*

This season was dead before this anyway. Sammy was never going to re-sign so trade McCoy and call it what it really is. I just feel bad for my son and my father, I can handle it.

There goes a watchable season. We are now in the basement with the Jets

This season was dead before this anyway. Sammy was never going to re-sign so trade McCoy and call it what it really is. I just feel bad for my son and my father, I can handle it.

Yeah it's going to suck to tell my nephew, he loves his Watkins jersey and has a wrap that goes around his wall with Watkins and his name on it. Kinda harsh lesson for a 7 year old when your dad and uncle turned you into a Bills fan in Boston and then your favorite player goes to LA.

Blah

Yeah it's going to suck to tell my nephew, he loves his Watkins jersey and has a wrap that goes around his wall with Watkins and his name on it. Kinda harsh lesson for a 7 year old when your dad and uncle turned you into a Bills fan in Boston and then your favorite player goes to LA.

Blah

Sam Cowart's career in town ended week 1 after I bought a jersey....

No, we are finally competent. I absolutely love it. I was iffy on Beane and McD, now I'm officially sold.

Not sure if you are serious but if you are I pretty much am of the same opinion and I dont see a big drop-off in talent if any at all, especially if Tre Davis plays like I believe he will. Tyrod still will have plenty of weapons offensively and an elite running attack.

And, we'll like next years draft for sure. Just in time for the Patriots fall from the mountain.

Edited by jaybee

If they are going down this road (which many have advocated), McCoy should be next.

The next moves are trading McCoy and cutting Kyle Williams (as a sign of respect).

Then accept our 4-12 fate and hire more scouts to utilize all our draft picks.

maybe they felt they could get similar production from matthews, not have to pay the money, (i have no idea what his contract looks like) and grab a pick? they certainly tried to fill the holes they created.

I will wait to see if we get any additional moves but I think that this is it.

They thought we could be as good of a team this year by making these moves while acquiring additional assets. Now if they move McCoy, Tyrod or Dareus then the tank is on.

Not sure if you are serious but if you are I pretty much am of the same opinion and I dont see a big drop-off in talent if any at all, especially if Tre Davis plays like I believe he will. Tyrod still will have plenty of weapons offensively and an elite running attack.

And, we'll like next years draft for sure. Just in time for the Patriots fall from the mountain.

I think that this is a shrewd and calculated move. This front office has no ties to the previous one...the last two drafts did not produce talent that was a match for the current regime. No one expected the Bills to light it up this year...but now they are STACKED with draft picks for next year.

For some reason, the Bills were desperate to move-on from Sammy Watkins.

There is no other explanation for getting so little in return. (A 2nd-Round Pick and below average starter...)

I think the Eagles trade was a domino-effect from moving Watkins. The Bills could not enter the season with nothing at receiver.

It just happens that the Darby/Matthews trade was actually a decent swap. The Bills make out pretty good on that one.

Anyone that thinks this was just about money... Don't forget that Matthews is also a free agent next year.

I don't hate the moves or love them, but in either case I don't see how there's any argument against it being a tank move. At this point you should just commit to it further.

If Darby was a cap problem and they didn't pick up Watkins' option, how can this be considered a tank move? As I mentioned before, Sammy missed half the season last year and probably wasn't 100% for all 8 games he played in during '16. He was gonna leave after this year anyway so why not get some value. The Bills have two firsts and two seconds next year IIRC.....that's great to have in trying build a team.

We traded 1k wr for another 1k wr and traded a db and got s db. Plus we got High picks. I think this season didn't change too much but long term could be amazing Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With SW's injury problems and inability to stay on the field, I am fine with this swap of WRs and draft picks. Darby for Gaines is a big downgrade though. I think you have to look at the two trades as a package deal from the Bills standpoint and with all factors considered, it is a smart deal. Matthews is like 6'3" and 215 - good hands and speed, willing to block. Gaines needs to improve, but is a starting CB.

For some reason, the Bills were desperate to move-on from Sammy Watkins.

There is no other explanation for getting so little in return. (A 2nd-Round Pick and below average starter...)

I think the Eagles trade was a domino-effect from moving Watkins. The Bills could not enter the season with nothing at receiver.

It just happens that the Darby/Matthews trade was actually a decent swap. The Bills make out pretty good on that one.

Anyone that thinks this was just about money... Don't forget that Matthews is also a free agent next year.

The risk of holding on to Sammy would have been directly tied to whether he could stay healthy. If he got injured this year and missed 3, 4 or even 8 games like last year, they wouldn't have been able to get anything for him.

um... yes. hey, you all wanted Rexy poo gone, blow it all up you said. well, they are blowing it all up. doesn't end with the coaching staff, roster gets blown up too. Rags will be cut soon as well. told you it was a rebuild. tank for Darnold. works for me. should work for you too. go bills

The cynic in me thinks it was very smart of them to wait until literally the day after season ticket packages are no longer sold or renewed.

People want to put Pegulas on some sort of pedestal. They just want your money, same as any other business owners.

If Darby was a cap problem and they didn't pick up Watkins' option, how can this be considered a tank move? As I mentioned before, Sammy missed half the season last year and probably wasn't 100% for all 8 games he played in during '16. He was gonna leave after this year anyway so why not get some value. The Bills have two firsts and two seconds next year IIRC.....that's great to have in trying build a team.

Downgraded with a net of draft picks. Definitely leaning more towards tanky than competitive. No big deal they should just own it and take it further.

It's not a tank. They weren't going to be better than 7-9 this year before today. Now maybe they'll be 5-11 but with way more draft capital to install a better foundation next year.

It's vision and a clear plan, as opposed to the desperate scrambling we'd been accustomed to seeing.

I will wait to see if we get any additional moves but I think that this is it.

They thought we could be as good of a team this year by making these moves while acquiring additional assets. Now if they move McCoy, Tyrod or Dareus then the tank is on.

no doubt. if you really put the emotions aside, this may not effect this year much at all. i'm in no way saying matthews is watkis, but sammy just hasn't shown the extraordinary production we all thought he would/could.

Here's some hard truths, you may need to put on the big boy pants for this -

Again, it's not a tank. They are not deliberately trying to lose. Sammy was on the way out the day the option was declined. If you were one of the posters claiming this was a "prove it" year for him, you were only kidding yourself.

The love-affair with Sammy around here is wayyy over the top, and mostly a product of the ridiculous amount of capital we invested in him via draft picks. Maybe one day he'll reach his potential, but so far he hasn't come close. You don't hand out big contracts based on potential.

And no, he wasn't going to put up a monster year with our QB situation. He was likely going to play ~13 games and put up an ~800 yard season and then unceremoniously leave. Getting a 2nd round pick for him with 1-yr left on his deal is about right.

Also, no, TT and Shady aren't getting traded. Why? Because it isn't a tank. Don't expect either of those players to be on the roster next year though.

Here's some hard truths, you may need to put on the big boy pants for this -

Again, it's not a tank. They are not deliberately trying to lose. Sammy was on the way out the day the option was declined. If you were one of the posters claiming this was a "prove it" year for him, you were only kidding yourself.

The love-affair with Sammy around here is wayyy over the top, and mostly a product of the ridiculous amount of capital we invested in him via draft picks. Maybe one day he'll reach his potential, but so far he hasn't come close. You don't hand out big contracts based on potential.

And no, he wasn't going to put up a monster year with our QB situation. He was likely going to play ~13 games and put up an ~800 yard season and then unceremoniously leave. Getting a 2nd round pick for him with 1-yr left on his deal is about right.

Also, no, TT and Shady aren't getting traded. Why? Because it isn't a tank. Don't expect either of those players to be on the roster next year though.

This is exactly what has been going through my mind.

Although I agree TT won't be hear next year, I think Shady still will....especially if he doesn't show any signs of slowing down.

Why?

Five reasons: (1) He's old, (2) he has a fat contract, (3) injury concerns; (4) he's a running back, (5) he's not the type of big, North-South runner that most teams are looking for these days. Doesn't mean he's not a good player, of course.