Serious question: Is this the beginning of a tank?

Heavy Kevi

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#Bills can add all the picks they want. If draft top 3 is Jets-SF-CLE, may not matter. Rights to creating Buffalo wings wouldn't be enough.

If Kizer shows promise, the Browns will go with him.

I'm not sure the connection but I've heard rumors that Cousins will be coveted by the 49ers.

We will see.

Here's some hard truths, you may need to put on the big boy pants for this -

Again, it's not a tank. They are not deliberately trying to lose. Sammy was on the way out the day the option was declined. If you were one of the posters claiming this was a "prove it" year for him, you were only kidding yourself.

The love-affair with Sammy around here is wayyy over the top, and mostly a product of the ridiculous amount of capital we invested in him via draft picks. Maybe one day he'll reach his potential, but so far he hasn't come close. You don't hand out big contracts based on potential.

And no, he wasn't going to put up a monster year with our QB situation. He was likely going to play ~13 games and put up an ~800 yard season and then unceremoniously leave. Getting a 2nd round pick for him with 1-yr left on his deal is about right.

Also, no, TT and Shady aren't getting traded. Why? Because it isn't a tank. Don't expect either of those players to be on the roster next year though.

Good post.

Sammy and Chad Kelly - BBMB & 2BD All Pros :D

I wish him the best in LA.

Of course this is a tank for 2017. It seems they are racing the Jets and a few others to position for top QB next year.

Trading young talent, still with very high upside is a big risk. But, I believe they look at Tyrod as a good but not great QB. That at best (with pre-trade roster) can reach 9-7 / 10 - 6 to grab a wild card. Needed to get out of purgatory. Having first year coach and GM allows them to take the risk.

You can debate the value of the trades. However Bills fans who are honest, realize that this roster was not going to be challenging for a championship in the next couple years.

It doesn't matter if the teams drafting ahead of you all need QBs. Assuming the plan is to trade up for one

You can assume it's for a QB or not, it doesn't change the fact that the Bills have a ton of draft capital right now that is very likely going to improve the team's chances over the next 5 years. Saying adding all the picks they want won't matter isn't true.

I don't think so. I think for the systems we will be running Gaines and Matthews are a better fit. Then add in the draft picks. 2 picks now in rounds 1-3 next year. If TT plays well, that is a lot of talent to be adding to a core of a team. If TT fails, lots of ammo to get the QB you want.

Here's some hard truths, you may need to put on the big boy pants for this -

Again, it's not a tank. They are not deliberately trying to lose. Sammy was on the way out the day the option was declined. If you were one of the posters claiming this was a "prove it" year for him, you were only kidding yourself.

The love-affair with Sammy around here is wayyy over the top, and mostly a product of the ridiculous amount of capital we invested in him via draft picks. Maybe one day he'll reach his potential, but so far he hasn't come close. You don't hand out big contracts based on potential.

And no, he wasn't going to put up a monster year with our QB situation. He was likely going to play ~13 games and put up an ~800 yard season and then unceremoniously leave. Getting a 2nd round pick for him with 1-yr left on his deal is about right.

Also, no, TT and Shady aren't getting traded. Why? Because it isn't a tank. Don't expect either of those players to be on the roster next year though.

He did reach his potential in 2015, where for an 8 game stretch he was arguably the best WR in the league. The injury he suffered isn't career ending, and he just turned 24 years old.

Why go after Anquan Boldin in the first place if the tank is on? Would he have been willing to come here had he known? Watkins I can almost understand getting rid of, but Darby? So many questions...

Gains is a better fit in the defensive scheme apparently. Gaines is a zone CB; Darby more man CB.

yes

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2017/08/11/sammy-watkins-traded-rams-ronald-darby-eagles-jordan-matthews/559698001 "Rather than stay at No. 9, the Bills switched places with the Browns, plus sent their 2015 first-round choice to Cleveland, so they could move up five spots to get Watkins. It was a reckless trade by former general manager Doug Whaley, and now it has proven to be a terrible one, too.

Watkins endured non-stop nagging injuries, and he wound up missing 11 of the possible 48 games he could have played, but also was well less than 100 percent in many others.

He caught 153 passes for 2,459 yards and 17 TDs as a Bill. By comparison, the man who will probably replace him in the starting lineup – Matthews, who was the Eagles’ second-round pick in 2014 – has missed only two games in his career and has 225 catches for 2,673 yards and 19 TDs."

Edited by JM2009

Yes and I like it. Darby was trending down and Watkins is made of glass and would have walked after the season. Short term pain for long term gain. These guys have vision and guts.

I'm not sure it's even a short-term pain. But I agree these guys have vision and guts.

You can assume it's for a QB or not, it doesn't change the fact that the Bills have a ton of draft capital right now that is very likely going to improve the team's chances over the next 5 years. Saying adding all the picks they want won't matter isn't true.

It doesn't matter what players you add if you still have one of the worst passing attacks in the NFL. You're just setting yourself up for mediocrity for a long time. If that's cool with you then fine but I hope we make a move for a QB next year. If not then we're spinning our wheels in the mud

Hey I'm with you on the passing attack, but realistically...if you're not sold on Taylor (which I'm not at all and it sounds like you aren't either) then you really don't hate Watkins leaving all that much. I, like you, very much hope we are using our picks to get a QB, but in the event we aren't then keeping Watkins on the roster while retaining Taylor doesn't make sense, and we're probably better off having made the trade for more picks anyway.

Edited by GoBills808

If the Bills had any class they'd cut Kyle Williams and let him latch on with a playoff team.

These trades, and our clear intent to rebuild through the draft make it pretty clear this team isn't going to compete for another few years while they search for and groom a young QB.

How long will that take do you think? A decade? Two decades? Three? There is absolutely no evidence during the Pegulas' ownership that the incompetence that has been the hallmark of the Bills' FO since Polian left 20+ years ago has been addressed.

Serious question: Is this the beginning of a tank?

No.

I'm sure the convo has gone way beyond this here, but as much as I don't like these moves on first glance (i'm a huge fan of watkins and his was my first jersey after adamantly not getting one for roughly 40 years of my life), it actually feels more Belicheck-ian than tanking.

If you start seeing Dareus, Shady, and others on the block, they're tanking.

If they were tanking, they wouldn't then acquire a guy who is at the same point in his career with more yards in said person's NFL career.

I'm not sure it's even a short-term pain. But I agree these guys have vision and guts.

Arguably, Matthews, Bolden and Zay still looks better than last year's group especially if Holmes or Streater can contribute. Just need someone to get them the ball.

Matthews has been a highly productive player since being selected 42nd overall in 2014. He ranks first in receptions (225) and third in receiving yards (2,673) among all-time Eagles in their first three years, and is one of only five players in NFL history with 65-plus receptions and 800-plus receiving yards in each of their first three seasons. The other four? Randy Moss, Odell Beckham Jr., Mike Evans and A.J. Green.

No Sammy sighting on the list.

Edited by Bills Fan of Maryland

Yes and I like it. Darby was trending down and Watkins is made of glass and would have walked after the season. Short term pain for long term gain. These guys have vision and guts.

That's the hardass answer, lot of truth in it. If the coaching staff is like this, I will be very happy.

I can't believe people use this language at the beginning of the season. These are moves that the GM and HC feel put them in a better position now and in the future. That's all. I think you are reading way too much into it by using the language "tank". I'm not sure about you but you have to cringe seeing the pressure easily get to Taylor on those few plays last night. The lack of quality depth is a big concern. I wouldn't be surprised if more moves are made.

TANK CITY. Anyone who denies this has smoked some serious stuff. 23 preseason games left until the 1st real game.

lol McCoy would be gone if it were a tank and they wouldn't have got Boldin or Matthews. just a snap of the fingers-Jets, SF,Cleveland will be drafting top three. Bilsl will have to use these picks to move up, and hopefully get a QB long term-never a certain with that either.

With a very bad knee

Hardly appears as a "very bad knee"
Jordan Matthews has missed the past week of OTAs due to knee tendinitis.
The Eagles are calling Matthews' absence "precautionary," but it's notable because Matthews battled this same exact issue last October. It didn't cost Matthews any game action -- his missed time last year was an ankle problem -- but Matthews has battled nagging injuries for the past couple years. He'll likely be fine for minicamp in a couple weeks. Once rumored to be on the trade block, Matthews has the quarterback in his corner, as he and Carson Wentz are known to be "boys." Matthews' targets should take a decent hit in 2017 with the additions of Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith and further emergence of Zach Ertz.

Looks more like he was expendable based on the receiver options and they had a big need at CB.

um... yes. hey, you all wanted Rexy poo gone, blow it all up you said. well, they are blowing it all up. doesn't end with the coaching staff, roster gets blown up too. Rags will be cut soon as well. told you it was a rebuild. tank for Darnold. works for me. should work for you too. go bills

This is why I'm getting very excited. A real rebuild with a plain to draft a top QB. It's about time. Now trade Tyrod for a bag of peanuts and start Peterman.

Go Bills

Seriously how can you not say this is a tank job. Do you really think the Bills can win more than 6 games with the talent that left, Gilmore, Darby, Watkins and others. Do you really think that the purge is finished? More trades to come. This is a good thing, do you want 8-8 forever or a team that can beat New England on THEIR best day and WIN a Superbowl.