Cardale traded to chargers!!

With the current CBA practice time and OTA rules you simply don't have the ability to completely break down and rework your #3 QB anymore. Particularly if he's not super invested in working hard on his own and/or resistant to change. Even in camp there are probably half the snaps there used to be. Teaching a guy to have field vision and accuracy is nearly impossible by the time they've gotten to the NFL, hence you don't really see a lot of truly developmental QBs work out. More often you see QBs who were drafted low because of measurables such as arm strength or size work out than guys with cannons but no vision or accuracy. There is a window to learn those skills and those guys missed it.

It was a bad pick when they made it. Getting a 7th is a win because he was going to be cut in about 3 weeks.

I don't disagree that time is limited but a lot of teams keep 2 guys. I don't see the value in giving reps to Yates. If he plays all year you win like 3 games. Are you saying to yourself, "great this guy can get us in position to be awful." I'd much rather use that time to try to develop a guy.

It's not just a Bills issue either. The Rams last year were a decent example. It was a little different in that he was a starter but why bother starting Case Keenum? What was the objective? Your team was going to suck with him you might as well suck with the young guy and get him experience. There's no value IMO to investing in bums. I understand keeping those guys through camp but if Tyrod goes down you pick up the phone and call Yates. He leaves the HS football team that he is an assistant coach for and gets put on the roster. Peterman can finish the game in the short term.

If you have a good backup (like Fitz) it's a little different. Those guys will end up on a roster. If not, try to develop young guys.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I knew he was on the move when Bills were looking at some unknown QB called McDade.

My goodness, Whaley pissed away so many draft picks. What a terrible GM.

Completely unfair. Why don't you come up with some logical rational proof instead of some stupid comment befitting grade 4 education?

He has been more than good. Bills weren't the best but he sure as fak did more than a decent job. This was a SHYT team before he came on dude. Total BUFFALO DUNG talent. Only living on the legacy of Kelly years. TOTAL BUFFALO DUNG in terms of talent.

Accuracy is a physical asset. He did not have it at OSU and didn't have it last year and won't have it this year either.

:lol: Last season Rivers threw the league-high in INT's... And not for the first time either.... Cardale is in a good place. -He might just find chemistry with a receiver or two... If that happens, it will smooth-out the accuracy issues, IMO.

Edited by #34fan

My goodness, Whaley pissed away so many draft picks. What a terrible GM.

I'd say he was pretty terrible at drafting,but, was pretty good at finding players off the streets and having success. Mediocre GM, not terrible. John Idzik on the other hand...

...sure as hell is....an egotistical move IMO.....if that is the new regime's premise, we're in for a longer, asinine haul than once thought.......there IS some pre-new regime talent on this club period....

They traded him before they cut him. He will be a perennial 3rd QB on rosters at best. Buffalo never should have drafted him in the first place. Thank God Whaley is gone

Completely unfair. Why don't you come up with some logical rational proof instead of some stupid comment befitting grade 4 education?

He has been more than good. Bills weren't the best but he sure as fak did more than a decent job. This was a SHYT team before he came on dude. Total BUFFALO DUNG talent. Only living on the legacy of Kelly years. TOTAL BUFFALO DUNG in terms of talent.

hi-res-9bcbc0f9e0e18bdafb976c2274010432_

"Damn straight!"

Agreed. I didn't have the highest hopes for him but we gave a raw guy with all the physical tools one year to be a NFL qb. Next to the Browns, we are the biggest joke franchise in the NFL at developing qb. At least we still have TJ Yates!

But good for Cardale. He gets to go to LA, play for his former coach, and learn from a damn good qb.

The only way cardale has a chance to succeed is with some semblance of consistency and guys that believe in him at the helm.

Staying here would've been scrapping all his reads, verbiage, footwork, etc..... you can't be shocked he's gone, only happy we got a resource back. The minute we got rid of the offensive staff his days were severely numbered. Frankly, given our coach, gm, and coordinator (roman) were all such short leashes it was a tough pick to take such a project. Whaley may not have known he and Rex were that short but picking a huge project and firing his OC in September is the type of decision making I hope not to see moving forward.

:lol: Last season Rivers threw the league-high in INT's... And not for the first time either.... Cardale is in a good place. -He might just find chemistry with a receiver or two... If that happens, it will smooth-out the accuracy issues, IMO.

Interceptions aren't often the result of an inaccurate pass it's the result of an improper read or a forced throw. Rivers forces throws into coverage all the time. His career completion percentage is 64.4% though. Peyton Manning led the league in INTs too. I don't think anyone would call him inaccurate.

And that 7th will be cut in about a year from now.

I don't care either way for the move, but applauding a 7th round pick for a guy we spent a 4th rounder doesn't make sense.

I dont know about applaud....but I do think some credit needs to be given for turning what was going to be nothing into at least something

Sill....buying high and selling low sucks

I'd like to congratulate the persistence of the fans that continued to believe this guy was an actual, NFL quality QB.

Good riddance to Whaley & Jones. Bad GM & bad player.

He was a 4th round pick made after Whaley's new bosses forced Rex (and Tyrod Taylor) down his throat. A 4th round pick for a team with no QB. And you criticize?

Whaley made some mistakes and he deserved to be shown the door. But criticizing this pick is just plain silly.

I'd like to congratulate the persistence of the fans that continued to believe this guy was an actual, NFL quality QB.

It's incredible what some will extrapolate from a short college highlight reel.

Just to remind people what was said about Cardale last preseason. Now all of sudden he wasn't worth development.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/187763-cardale-body-language-pocket-presence-very-jim-kelly/page-5?hl=jones&do=findComment&comment=4008662

Get over it, talent doesn't mean the guy can play. To many players get drafted on potential instead of production.

Maybe a 7th if he makes the final 53?

Looks like we're getting nothing.

I love this. For the better part of two decades, we would have just cut him. But now we have gained an asset that can be used in the future. That's how you build a team.

Smart move by the FO.

It was a 7th or nothing

I'll take the 7th maybe we trade it for a 2019 6th but atleast we have another chip to deal

It was a 7th or nothing

I'll take the 7th maybe we trade it for a 2019 6th but atleast we have another chip to deal

That's my point. Tradeable assets are always great, especially when you get one for a guy you were going to cut in a month anyhow.

It was a 7th or nothing

I wonder if any NFL team has ever thought about trying to start with a 7th round pick and see how far up they can push the pick over time...ie maybe eventually get it to a 2nd round pick over 6 years...

Imagine how good you could make a team if you were able to consistently do this over a period of years and stay disciplined enough to continue it year in and year out.

I wonder if any NFL team has ever thought about trying to start with a 7th round pick and see how far up they can push the pick over time...ie maybe eventually get it to a 2nd round pick over 6 years...

Imagine how good you could make a team if you were able to consistently do this over a period of years and stay disciplined enough to continue it year in and year out.

I like the concept and it makes sense in a weird way it's getting it from a 7th to a 5th once you get there you have ammo