One big, dirty, stat.

#34fan

Scanning available stats, I found many areas where the Bills did well... Rushing stats were phenomenal... Believe it or not, Many of our stats ranged from good to middle of the pack

Except one.

Perhaps the one that kept us out of the playoff's for the seventeenth time in a row.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/pass-attempts-per-game

Yes, the D was miserable... But in order to be competitive this one stat MUST change... Note to our QB's -SPRAY IT, DON'T SAY IT!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can win by running the ball effectively and the opposing team can't stop you, then the correct number of passes you should throw is around zero. A balanced offense is achieved by mixing the proper ratio of successful running plays with successful passing plays. Unsuccessful passing plays hurt you in three ways...1. no yards gained 2. little time taken off the clock 3. a tired defense put right back out on the field.

Scanning available stats, I found many areas where the Bills did well... Rushing stats were phenomenal... Believe it or not, Many of our stats ranged from good to middle of the pack

Except one.

Perhaps the one that kept us out of the playoff's for the seventeenth time in a row.

Yes, the D was miserable... But in order to be competitive this one stat MUST change... Note to our QB's -SPRAY IT, DON'T SAY IT!

+ 1

these stats were last year.

"17" may be the season they end the streak?

I guess if one wanted to cling on to last seasons stats to rag on the QB, this may be useful

but with a new staff and an OC that likely will still rely on the run and may open up the pass game more?

maybe they change that stat, maybe not?

lets see what happens in 2017.

Except one.

Last time I wathced a game there were very few qbs allowed to call their own plays. Offensive coordinators call the plays. Your advice should say note to our OC tell the qb to spray it.

It really baffles me how fans dont understand very simplistic concepts regarding football.

Except one.

The low pass attempt discussions have been going on for awhile now.

On the other hand Buffalo averaged over 5 yards a run attempt despite the oppositions knowledge of the Bills intentions.

Do you consider the best run game in the NFL a negative?

On the other hand Buffalo averaged over 5 yards a run attempt despite the oppositions knowledge of the Bills intentions.

:blink: Praising our run game was part of the original post... Perhaps you should read it ..

The problem with the run when you have a LOUSY D, is that you can't keep pace with your opponents scoring... even if you have a middle of the pack defense, the run game shouldn't be your mainstay.

Get the TE's involved so you can move the chains and score in different ways... I don't see this offense making any strides if the starter doesn't at least TRY to chuck the ball downfield.

Except one.

That's dirty.

:blink: Praising our run game was part of the original post... Perhaps you should read it ..

The problem with the run when you have a LOUSY D, is that you can't keep pace with your opponents scoring... even if you have a middle of the pack defense, the run game shouldn't be your mainstay.

Get the TE's involved so you can move the chains and score in different ways... I don't see this offense making any strides if the starter doesn't at least TRY to chuck the ball downfield.

Where do you think less pass attempts went?

I suppose you could say Rex is one big, dirty...

With all due respect OP my point is the G Roman low pass attempts was by design and its something our HC wanted out of the O.

Edited by Figster

Where do you think less pass attempts went?

Alot of them went into Taylor Savings & Loan... Well, mostly SAVINGS... That's where Tightwad keeps all the wide open guys he didn't hit, and all the plays he left on the field because he was scared to throw.

Yah... guys were hurt... The WR corp. was weak.... Still, there were many opportunities TT let sail by...

This year's schedule offers little in the way of forgiveness for such mistakes.

Bottom line? -Ball's gotta fly in '17. or we CRY in '17... -AGAIN!

Except one.

so, you're saying we should have run the ball less? Because you cant have it both ways.

It shouldn't be considered a negative. But there's a reason that we were only 16th in total yards.

And that helps to explain the sad facts that while our offense received the 11th best average drive start position in the NFL, they handed back to the defense the 23rd best average drive start position. Field position matters and our offense didn't deliver.

If we can win (a Super Bowl) with this amount of runs, I'd be perfectly happy. But to do so you pretty much need the best defense in the league and a good passing QB.

I'm not worried about this year. We're almost certainly going to be fairly bad. I'm worried about developing in the right direction in the long term.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, their may be only 2 or 3 defenses that can stop the passing game in today's NFL and those defenses get torched against the top 10 passers. It's all about the QB's and we still don't have a top 15 passer.

Being equally as good in the run and pass allows an OC to gameplan what works best aginst every opponent in my humble opinion. It also allows for more adjustment in bad weather conditions.

Do you run the ball less against an opponent that struggles stopping the run? no, of course you don't

It shouldn't be considered a negative. But there's a reason that we were only 16th in total yards.

And that helps to explain the sad facts that while our offense received the 11th best average drive start position in the NFL, they handed back to the defense the 23rd best average drive start position. Field position matters and our offense didn't deliver.

If we can win (a Super Bowl) with this amount of runs, I'd be perfectly happy. But to do so you pretty much need the best defense in the league and a good passing QB.

I'm not worried about this year. We're almost certainly going to be fairly bad. I'm worried about developing in the right direction in the long term.

I agree, middle of the pack in total yardage doesn't get the job done.

I do however feel the Bills D contributed...

Edited by Figster

Ridiculousness. Is this supposed to sum things up? Atlanta, who had the SB all but won is 27th and threw the ball a total of 3.8 times more per game. Or less than one pass per quarter. Do we want to be Baltimore or Jax or NO or Philly or Wash?

Lets try not summing things up with a simple statistic.

Let's win the offseason first. ☺️

Edited by Cville Bills

Except one.

Nice find and reminder how diff this modern NFL is today. To think a team that avg 30 passes a game is 2nd from last is mind boggling. I never would have guessed.

Edited by cba fan

I agree, middle of the pack in total yardage doesn't get the job done.

I do however feel the Bills D contributed...

You mean that the Bills D was bad? You get no argument from me there.

But some people want to put all the blame on the defense and none on our below average pass game.

Wow.

We were 3rd in ppg at Home with just over 30.1st in the AFC!

Only 19 ppg on the road! That's a huge inexcusable difference and I'm hoping it had to do with Rex being so undisciplined towards the players

Woh, nice pickup. I looked at that page and totally missed that.

Holy cow, that's a huge difference.

Edited by Thurman#1

Last time I wathced a game there were very few qbs allowed to call their own plays. Offensive coordinators call the plays. Your advice should say note to our OC tell the qb to spray it.

It really baffles me how fans dont understand very simplistic concepts regarding football.

So baffling. Maybe you can break it down for us ?

The Bills are 1-10 when Taylor attempts 30 or more passes. Which would make sense as a team losing has to throw more. Well 8 of the games were decided by 8 points or less. I'd say the best game Taylor played he threw the ball 12 times in 2015.

The QB play hasn't been good enough because the Bills haven't valued the QB position. Hopefully it changes but it's easier for a GM to miss on the Greg Robinsons of the world than Jared Goffs. Also the drought weighs heavily. The justification we use is that Taylor is the best option for 2017; and he is. For the long-term future of the team he's at best a guy that the Chiefs just decided wasn't good enough to win a Super Bowl.

Except one.

Looks like the same stat kept New Orleans and Baltimore out too

Bills call a pass play. TT holds the ball, scrambles around,(as he is capable of doing) and either takes a sack or gains some positive rush yards, maybe a first down or even more. Neither of these outcomes count as a "pass attempt." I would guess that TT, as a % of pass plays called, would have amongst the highest rates of "no throws." This is may not be a bad thing if it's because of his running talent and being "ball secure." So, as to the OP, I am unconvinced as to the point.

They need to be able to score during a two minute drill to win the game. When Tyrod had to pass the ball to win the game is when he typically fell flat on his face. This is where I think they need to improve.

They need to be able to score during a two minute drill to win the game. When Tyrod had to pass the ball to win the game is when he typically fell flat on his face. This is where I think they need to improve.

This is true but an exaggerated truth. I think TT's two best games were against Seattle and the home Miami game. We all know the other issues involved in those losses. He played great in those games and the losses tend to obscure that fact. The coaching and defense have to hold up their performance to give a QB a chance to make a difference. Being great in a loss does nothing to help to define a QB as a difference maker. TT did not let the team down in those losses.

Except one.

That is not correct at all. Here are the facts:

Offensive rankings:

- 10th overall in ppg

- 16th overall in ypg

- 1st in rushing ypg

- 30th in passing ypg

Defensive rankings:

- 16th overall in ppg

- 19th overall in ypg

- 29th in rushing against ypg

- 6th in passing against ypg

The team couldn't pass or stop the run. BOTH were huge issues. The worst was that late in games we couldn't pass to score or stop the run and get the ball back. And don't give me the "we're a run first offense" crap. If we could've been effective passing the ball, then we'd have done it a lot more.

Looks like a bash Tyrod thread more then anything else.

Where did the Bills rank in offensive TDs when Tyrod started last year?

Lol. That's one, big, dirty stat that should lock the thread.

Which is why I really don't care to comment on threads about stats because they can be used in any way to derive a narrative you want but felt that one was justified.