One big, dirty, stat.

#34fan

Here we go again. Let's pretend all the playoff teams with worse defenses didn't exist.

The dead horse is alive !!

Who cares? The Bills main problem was the defense. Not the offense. That is what needed the immediate attention. As I stated above, the formula was a strong running game,a QB to manage the game with few turnovers, and a strong defense. The defense was the main problem with this formula through 15 games.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares? The Bills main problem was the defense. Not the offense. That is what needed the immediate attention. As I stated above, the formula was a strong running game,a QB to manage the game with few turnovers, and a strong defense. The defense was the main problem with this formula through 15 games.

You can't be trusted on this matter. Everyone knows where you stand.

The passing game was just as bad as the defense, maybe worse.

See ya after the jets game bud. I'm not interested in the "if" game.

Edited by Maury Ballstein

no, it wasn't the main problem. you can blame injuries, but the good teams over come them with depth who should be able to step up. you can blame coaching and everyone knows those two goons had no business coaching this team and keeping them from contention. you can blame the owner who was a big part of bringing in the two goons. you can blame the defense which was combined again with coaching, injuries and suspensions. don't forget the kicking game and the reason carp is no longer a bill. also, you can blame the offense. play calling and a QB that struggled to convert pass plays as well as not being able to put the team on his shoulders and put the nail in the coffin at the end of games.

so you see, it was a team failure from top to bottom. no single reason yet many reasons contributed to keeping the drought alive and kicking.

does all that matter, no, it's the past.

2017, new staff, new players and vets looking to do as fans should do, put the past behind and concentrate on the challenge ahead and personally I see a light at the end of the tunnel.

one thing is certain around this joint that is really no different than any other board during the off season.

pushing agendas and beating the horse to death...giddy up!

58a.jpg

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

So you hold Drew Brees and the Saints offense responsible for all their losses? I mean you understand every offense gets chances to score right? It's usually accepted that offenses can't always score and eventually the defense needs to make some critical stops. Maybe you have a different way of seeing things.

I said I was done for a while, but out of courtesy to you I'll reply.

* In total yards the Bills 19th D compared to the Saints 27th is a big enough difference IMO.

We all know the Run D was a bad as bad could get. All I can say is that we've had teams with 200 yards rushing against the Bills and with a good QB the Bills had won more than lost.

* Passing - (in a passing league) Bills 6th against the Saints 32nd in passing - a big enough difference. Bills 32nd against the Saints 14th in rushing.

Drew led the league in passing yards w/55208, I guess I'm pointing at a similarity - a team too reliant on one aspect of the game.

I never said I wanted TT to = DB, I just want to see an effective passing game.

Counter to what the trolling indicates I have never disagreed with the statement that TT's the best we've got. What I and others have stated we need better than what we have seen in the last 2 seasons.

Any mention of an agenda is pure BS and a lame excuse to bolster his argument.

FWIW Playoff teams with a lesser D - Miami, Atlanta, Oakland, KC, and GB. Whats the difference?

FWIW pt 2, Buffalo 133 R ypg, Miami 140.4 R ypg

I am pretty certain our run game will take a smallish step back in 2017. I think we will still be top 10 but I don't expect it to be dominant as it has been. That will throw more focus on the passing game.

I agree,

Everything takes practice and actual play time to perfect and more reps in the passing game is needed to gel properly. Becoming a better passing team allows Buffalo the ability to attack more weak points of the opposition both run and pass. Flexability will also help manage the clock more effectively at crunch time.

More balanced O keeps all the playmakers involved and stretches the opposition thin.

The Bills had the fewest pass attempts in the NFL. Maybe that changes this season. Where I stand-pulling for the best QB we have had in awhile so we make the playoffs finally. That's where I stand. Where do you stand? And that formula is what Ryan and Co wanted. They failed with the defense overall. That is why they were fired.

I agree,

Everything takes practice and actual play time to perfect and more reps in the passing game is needed to gel properly. Becoming a better passing team allows Buffalo the ability to attack more weak points of the opposition both run and pass. Flexability will also help manage the clock more effectively at crunch time.

More balanced O keeps all the playmakers involved and stretches the opposition thin.

With MG loss and new coaching, I expect more of a passing attack too. Hopefully the WR corp can stay healthy this season.

I said I was done for a while, but out of courtesy to you I'll reply.

* In total yards the Bills 19th D compared to the Saints 27th is a big enough difference IMO.

We all know the Run D was a bad as bad could get. All I can say is that we've had teams with 200 yards rushing against the Bills and with a good QB the Bills had won more than lost.

* Passing - (in a passing league) Bills 6th against the Saints 32nd in passing - a big enough difference. Bills 32nd against the Saints 14th in rushing.

Drew led the league in passing yards w/55208, I guess I'm pointing at a similarity - a team too reliant on one aspect of the game.

I never said I wanted TT to = DB, I just want to see an effective passing game.

Counter to what the trolling indicates I have never disagreed with the statement that TT's the best we've got. What I and others have stated we need better than what we have seen in the last 2 seasons.

Any mention of an agenda is pure BS and a lame excuse to bolster his argument.

FWIW Playoff teams with a lesser D - Miami, Atlanta, Oakland, KC, and GB. Whats the difference?

FWIW pt 2, Buffalo 133 R ypg, Miami 140.4 R ypg

Miami does not have an elite or HOF QB, which is what you stated kept the Bills from the playoffs. Neither does KC. TT had more total TDs than Smith, by the way.

"It's a good thing for team unity that the offensive players aren't the type to point fingers in the locker room. Because the Bills' defense has been wasting some pretty good performances by their offensive mates lately."

"Well, I'll point a finger at us for them," said Kyle Williams, the veteran defensive tackle. "We need to play better. We need to do better. Point blank."..

http://buffalonews.com/2016/11/16/one-way-another-defense-still-problem/

I stand on the no more backup retreads as Bills starters, draft a qb high platform.

It's a passing league and we can't pass. Jmo of course but I knew we were toast after the Bengals game, then the Raiders and Steelers games cemented it.

I see 5-11 this year and I hope it's not the end of Sammy and Shady in Buffalo.

the difference - Competent QB's that can rely on the pass when needed.

quote from jm2009

Miami does not have an elite or HOF QB, which is what you stated kept the Bills from the playoffs. Neither does KC. TT had more total TDs than Smith, by the way.

When have you ever heard me say Tannehill or Alex Smith were Elite QB's?

wrong again as usual jm2009 with your assumptions but hey nice try

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

= Competent QB's that can rely on the pass when needed.

wrong again as usual in your assumptions but hey nice try

So are you. TT had more total TDs than Smith in 2016. TT is 2-1 against Tannehill. Neither Smith or Tannehill fit your elite, HOF QB type that is needed to make the playoffs.

Edited by JM2009

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-hc-mcdermott-impressed-with-tyrod-taylors-leadership/

• Taylor’s passer rating in 2016 when under pressure of 80.1 was seventh best among qualifying quarterbacks, while his 10 touchdowns thrown in those circumstances was tied for third.

​And anyone wondering who the 2 QBs ahead of him are, it's Aaron Rodgers with 12 TDs and Andrew Luck with 11. Russell Wilson also threw 10 TDs under pressure.

If you aren't interested in the "if" game, why are you here? That's literally all there is to discuss in the offseason, whether it's past or future "ifs."

And if you're so tired of seeing a dead horse beaten, do yourself a favor and just ignore the conversations :flirt:

you are saying that the 2015 and 2016 Playoff QB Alex Smith wins with less :thumbsup:

Whats that say about him? He's efficient.

maybe you should quit before you dig a deeper hole

How much less can you get than the WR status for most of the 2016 Bills? And KC defense was better than Buffalos.

his problem is that he goes too far in defending TT and will not blame the pisspoor passing game.

TT is not elite or a HOF. What more should one expect but to miss the playoffs?

Looks like your claiming that an elite or HOF QB is needed for the playoffs, nothing less. Which you said you never claimed.

I stand on the no more backup retreads as Bills starters, draft a qb high platform.

It's a passing league and we can't pass. Jmo of course but I knew we were toast after the Bengals game, then the Raiders and Steelers games cemented it.

I see 5-11 this year and I hope it's not the end of Sammy and Shady in Buffalo.

Wanna make a fun wager? I say the Bills get to at least 8 wins.

You're all butt-hurt because you and Scott couldn't prove your "offense was good enough" bulls#!*-pipe dream... Bu hey, I never asked you to.... I just pointed out that the offense was only good enough when it came to

outscoring turrble teams...

Offense vs playoff teams: 23.7 ppg

Offense vs non-playoff teams: 27.9 ppg

Defense vs playoff teams: 28.4 ppg

Defense vs non-playoff teams: 18.6 ppg

Sorry, I couldn't hear you. Which part of the team only did well against terrible teams?

I didn't include the last game for obvious reasons. I did include the first Patriots game, even though no statistician or rational football fan would, just because I knew you'd cry if I didn't. By the way, without that game, the numbers look like this:

Offense vs playoff teams: 25.0 ppg

Defense vs playoff teams: 33.1 ppg

Yikes! Well, that certainly doesn't look good for you. I'll be awaiting your concession.

Sorry, I couldn't hear you. Which part of the team only did well against terrible teams?

I didn't include the last game for obvious reasons. I did include the first Patriots game, even though no statistician or rational football fan would, just because I knew you'd cry if I didn't. By the way, without that game, the numbers look like this:

Yikes! Well, that certainly doesn't look good for you. I'll be awaiting your concession.

Good stats.

If you aren't interested in the "if" game, why are you here? That's literally all there is to discuss in the offseason, whether it's past or future "ifs."

And if you're so tired of seeing a dead horse beaten, do yourself a favor and just ignore the conversations :flirt:

Do me a favor and never ever ever ever offer me any advice again.

I don't care about your love affair with all things Taylor. it's a passing league. We need a qb, sorry this offends you.

The horse is all yours, I'm out. Fanboys gonna Fanboy.

I don't care about your love affair with all things Taylor. it's a passing league. We need a qb, sorry this offends you.

post 226 is very interesting. Too bad you skipped it.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-hc-mcdermott-impressed-with-tyrod-taylors-leadership/

• Taylors passer rating in 2016 when under pressure of 80.1 was seventh best among qualifying quarterbacks, while his 10 touchdowns thrown in those circumstances was tied for third.

​And anyone wondering who the 2 QBs ahead of him are, it's Aaron Rodgers with 12 TDs and Andrew Luck with 11. Russell Wilson also threw 10 TDs under pressure.

New thread incoming:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/quarterbacks-and-pressure-2016

Lots to digest here in conjunction with the sack study from yesterday. Putting it together now.

post 226 is very interesting. Too bad you skipped it.

I didn't skip anything, i watched him poop his pants vs the Ravens, Steelers, Raiders, Bengals, Patriots and Dolphins.

Guess my memory is better than yours. We don't have to agree, you obviously want to give him more chances while I don't ever want to see another Steelers/Raiders/Pats w Brady game again. (My man can't even pass for 200 yards while getting blown out? Gross!)

Don't quote me. I'm out of this subject. You can't convert me lol.

The funny thing is none of us have a love affair with him....we have a love affair of wanting our defense to be top five like under Schwartz again. You mistakingly interpret that for some reason. You ignore how bad the defense was last year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The funny thing is none of us have a love affair with him....we have a love affair of wanting our defense to be top five like under Schwartz again. You mistakingly interpret that for some reason. You ignore how bad the defense was last year

I see you haven't met Transplant and Jm yet.

They love Taylor more than I love Scarjo and Hathaway.

TT is the best QB the Bills have had this century. He is never going to be elite or HOF status, but he was not expected to be. He is far from terrible, which posters like you try to make him by being deliberate in what you chose to ignore. He is good enough till a better option comes along. Once again, 15-14, 47 TDs and 15 turnovers with over 1000 yards rushing is not terrible.

Saying he wasn't the reason we missed the playoffs does not mean a love affair. Troll

I also took a look at scoring in wins vs. losses over the past 2 years (while looking into some KC stuff). I actually did find an interesting trend that I don't like while looking, FWIW.

First off, in our 15 Wins over the past 2 years:

Bills PPG: 27.1

Opponents PPG: 14.5 :wub:

In our losses over the past 2 years:

Bills PPG: 21.9 (including 3 games with EJ/Cardale for a quarter)

Opponents PPG: 30.5 :sick:

So there is about a 5 point swing in our Offense's production between wins and losses, but a 16 point swing in what our D gives up between our wins and losses. Seems crazy!

Also, over the past 2 years our Defense has allowed 24+ points 14 times. We are 0-14 in those games. We are 15-3 in games where our opponents were held to 23 or fewer points. We suck at shootouts, clearly. And to my point with KC, their Defense has allowed 24+ points 8 times over the past 2 years. We allowed 8 such games last season alone.

TT is the best QB the Bills have had this century. He is never going to be elite or HOF status, but he was not expected to be. He is far from terrible, which posters like you try to make him by being deliberate in what you chose to ignore. He is good enough till a better option comes along. Once again, 15-14, 47 TDs and 15 turnovers with over 1000 yards rushing is not terrible.

"Far from terrible"? "Good enough"? And using actual facts too? What a fanboy!

Saying he wasn't the reason we missed the playoffs does not mean a love affair. Troll

I'm a troll because I'd rather draft a qb then watch a guy who put up a 1-6 record vs .500 teams ?

Interesting take. Apologies for wanting more and adios thread. This is devolving into nonsense like the other locked TT thread.

Have fun with the wishing for 9-7 thing.

"Far from terrible"? "Good enough"? And using actual facts too? What a fanboy!

1-6 No 49ers on schedule this year. Pretend all is well if you must.

I love you all, but let's not forget all the times Tyrod was pantsed by real qb's

And this concludes Tyrod 2016. Part 45,663

I'm a troll because I'd rather draft a qb then watch a guy who put up a 1-6 record vs .500 teams ?

Interesting take. Apologies for wanting more and adios thread. This is devolving into nonsense like the other locked TT thread.

I love you all, but let's not forget all the times Tyrod was pantsed by real qb's

The defense was pantsed, whatever that means, by other QBs. Not TT.

The only nonsense is coming from you and your ignoring all the arguments, with actual facts, against your posting.

• Taylor’s passer rating in 2016 when under pressure of 80.1 was seventh best among qualifying quarterbacks, while his 10 touchdowns thrown in those circumstances was tied for third.

...and that is the highly manipulative nature of stats.....if you want to isolate QB stats, Rodgers and Wilson both have rings....we have 17 YEARS......BUT....I will certainly cede the point if Wrecks did NOT dismantle the defense in 2015 & 2016, TT's performance with the top 5 or so defense intact could very likely have broken the schneid...consistently winning all three phases is the point or at leat 2 out of 3 periodically...Rodgers and Wilson have been supported by good defenses....Luck has been in a weak division....for 2017, me thinks the OL continues to becomes a cohesive unit, MUST grow a greater awareness as to where the hell TT is this time which means trying to corral his scrambles as they have to hold blocks longer, etc; Dennison needs to develop an offense to exploit TT's strengths (quicker, shorter stuff, utilizing RB's more as well as TE's; he struggles with reads/progressions, so shorten the rope); otherwise you continue to expose his read weaknesses.....probably an old school crustacean in year 55 of following this club, but I still think McD should have any one of the three phases available at his fingertips when needed to get the "W"....playing from behind and racking up stats for the sake of later arguments has never done much for me....the "W" comes first.............

Wow, no problem dishing it out but just can't take it, huh?

You keep implying you're done with these conversations and then you keep coming back.

I also took a look at scoring in wins vs. losses over the past 2 years (while looking into some KC stuff). I actually did find an interesting trend that I don't like while looking, FWIW.

First off, in our 15 Wins over the past 2 years:

Bills PPG: 27.1

Opponents PPG: 14.5 :wub:

In our losses over the past 2 years:

Bills PPG: 21.9 (including 3 games with EJ/Cardale for a quarter)

Opponents PPG: 30.5 :sick:

So there is about a 5 point swing in our Offense's production between wins and losses, but a 16 point swing in what our D gives up between our wins and losses. Seems crazy!

Also, over the past 2 years our Defense has allowed 24+ points 14 times. We are 0-14 in those games. We are 15-3 in games where our opponents were held to 23 or fewer points. We suck at shootouts, clearly. And to my point with KC, their Defense has allowed 24+ points 8 times over the past 2 years. We allowed 8 such games last season alone.

Don't have time to look at more numbers vs playoff / non-playoff teams right now, but our defense in 2014 gave up an average of 18.1 pts/g and only gave up 24+ pts 3 times (37 to the Pats, 24, and 26).

With that defense and this past year's offense, a 12+ win season is very plausible. So, while I realize that the 2014 defense is beyond what we can hope to achieve this year, this offense does have what it takes to be a contender. Hopefully they only get better with the reintroduction of Sammy and the addition of Jones.

I didn't skip anything, i watched him poop his pants vs the Ravens, Steelers, Raiders, Bengals, Patriots and Dolphins.

Guess my memory is better than yours. We don't have to agree, you obviously want to give him more chances while I don't ever want to see another Steelers/Raiders/Pats w Brady game again. (My man can't even pass for 200 yards while getting blown out? Gross!)

Don't quote me. I'm out of this subject. You can't convert me lol.

and two posts later...

How many times in this thread alone are you going to say you're done with the subject only to come right back into the discussion you just said you were going to leave?

You just can't quit us, can you? :wub:

Edited by transplantbillsfan

It is a team effort

and

the QB is the most important guy on the team.

Would you apply that logic to the Colts or Saints?

Disclaimer: not saying Tyrod is better than either of those QB's. Just suggesting that maybe the other guys on the team are a little important too.

and another post :doh:

Edited by transplantbillsfan