Interview with Robert Kraft

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/patriots-owner-robert-kraft-broke-134337520.html

This part of the article is what stood out to me the most:

Kraft believes all of these things have created a culture free of "corporate B.S." Where other teams might have internal division, the Patriots try to get people to "check their ego at the door."

"The kind of business we're in is a business of egos and a business [of] who gets the credit," Kraft said. "In any business, division from within can become the biggest enemy … You have personnel people, you have coaches. Very often the coach will say, 'Well, the personnel people didn't get me the right people.' And the personnel people will say 'Well, the coach didn't play the proper people at the proper time and they don't have the right system.'

"It's excuses, always. And so the real trick is how you get people on the same page and force egos who sometimes have problems working with one another … If you can get people to check their ego at the door and put team first, whatever the team may be, and then once you have it going, having continuity."

In a league where roster and personnel turnover is rampant, Kraft added, "I never make a change unless I know I have something better to put in its place. I never make change for change's sake."

This has maybe been one of the biggest things holding the BILLS back( besides no franchise QB) for the longest time.

Hopefully with the MCD hire this will be changed in the BILLS organization.

Edited by Protocal69

i guess it's the ole front office vs back office friction. typically the solution to that is cross training so everyone there's a general understanding of all of the duties, but i have no idea how that applies to an nfl scenario.

i guess it's the ole front office vs back office friction. typically the solution to that is cross training so everyone there's a general understanding of all of the duties, but i have no idea how that applies to an nfl scenario.

I think it involves Bagels and lots of coffee.

Its just has always in my opinion a lot of backstabbing, job saving tactics going on at One Bills Drive. Whaley in Pegula ear telling him that Rex is wasting talent on the team. Whaley butting heads with Marrone or vise versa. Russ Brandon and Jim Overdolf kissing the owners ass. Half the organization wanting to do one thing and the other half something else. Its just make from what it sounds like a terrible work environment

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/patriots-owner-robert-kraft-broke-134337520.html

This part of the article is what stood out to me the most:

Kraft believes all of these things have created a culture free of "corporate B.S." Where other teams might have internal division, the Patriots try to get people to "check their ego at the door."

"The kind of business we're in is a business of egos and a business [of] who gets the credit," Kraft said. "In any business, division from within can become the biggest enemy … You have personnel people, you have coaches. Very often the coach will say, 'Well, the personnel people didn't get me the right people.' And the personnel people will say 'Well, the coach didn't play the proper people at the proper time and they don't have the right system.'

"It's excuses, always. And so the real trick is how you get people on the same page and force egos who sometimes have problems working with one another … If you can get people to check their ego at the door and put team first, whatever the team may be, and then once you have it going, having continuity."

In a league where roster and personnel turnover is rampant, Kraft added, "I never make a change unless I know I have something better to put in its place. I never make change for change's sake."

This has maybe been one of the biggest things holding the BILLS back( besides no franchise QB) for the longest time.

Hopefully with the MCD hire this will be changed in the BILLS organization.

Kraft was a viewed and a control freak and bumbling idiot until had the good fortune to hire Belichick and get lucky with a sixth round pick in 2000.

Its just has always in my opinion a lot of backstabbing, job saving tactics going on at One Bills Drive. Whaley in Pegula ear telling him that Rex is wasting talent on the team. Whaley butting heads with Marrone or vise versa. Russ Brandon and Jim Overdolf kissing the owners ass. Half the organization wanting to do one thing and the other half something else. Its just make from what it sounds like a terrible work environment

Well Whaley wasn't wrong about Rex.

Kraft was a viewed and a control freak and bumbling idiot until had the good fortune to hire Belichick and get lucky with a sixth round pick in 2000.

That's not really accurate....he took a perennial losing franchise and turned it around before the lucky break with Brady ....NE became respectable when Kraft hired Parcells....they got Bledsoe and went to the SB in 1996....I think Foxboro has been sold out every game since 1993....

He also traded a draft pick to get Belichick....he obviously saw something he liked there.....

That's not really accurate....he took a perennial losing franchise and turned it around before the lucky break with Brady ....NE became respectable when Kraft hired Parcells....they got Bledsoe and went to the SB in 1996....I think Foxboro has been sold out every game since 1993....

He also traded a draft pick to get Belichick....he obviously saw something he liked there.....

True but please don't kid yourself. It sure helps for the last 15 years to have the best QB of all time be under center & still playing at an extremely high level for this engine to be running smoothly.

This is such garbage. How convenient to act like you have it figured out with the greatest QB of the era.

They have gone through and have made a plethora of changes. They have two constants that are so good, the other changes are irrelevant. That's how good hoodie and Brady are.

The content of what he's saying has some truth to it, but it's elementary not some enlightened thought. The better example of this, IMO, is the Bengals. They believe they have a good coach and they stay steadfast on that belief and make adjustments to their roster. They are also an example that if you don't have the best QB of the era, continuity doesn't always translate into winning.

I would have much more respect for Kraft if he would just say he's been fortunate. Instead he bloviates about how he's figured out how to bring ego's together and all that other crap.

This is such garbage. How convenient to act like you have it figured out with the greatest QB of the era.

They have gone through and have made a plethora of changes. They have two constants that are so good, the other changes are irrelevant. That's how good hoodie and Brady are.

The content of what he's saying has some truth to it, but it's elementary not some enlightened thought. The better example of this, IMO, is the Bengals. They believe they have a good coach and they stay steadfast on that belief and make adjustments to their roster. They are also an example that if you don't have the best QB of the era, continuity doesn't always translate into winning.

I would have much more respect for Kraft if he would just say he's been fortunate. Instead he bloviates about how he's figured out how to bring ego's together and all that other crap.

Precisely.

Any Patriots #thinkpiece about "The Patriot Way," or "model organization top to bottom" is code for "we have the greatest QB ever and you don't." Why has no one abdicated for some useless, no name, never heard of him DT to just take the guy down?

He's won 5 rings, has nothing left to prove to anyone. Furthermore, whatever punishment the Bills (preferably) would receive is so extremely disproportionate to how losing Tom Brady affects the balance of power in the AFC so greatly.

Headhunting is commonplace in the NHL. Teams do it every day without apology or guilt. As terrible as it is to say, what's the worst thing that could happen to the Bills if they just took Tom Brady out? I'm serious. What's the worst thing that could happen?

The lose a draft pick? Suspension? Fine? Who cares? You just put your team in a position to win its division for the first time since the Clinton presidency.

In Buffalo, Russ has been promoting simple "Continuity" and he filters it out threw the mouth pieces of John Murphy and Chris Brown and others. It's been that way for over a decade.

But it was then and is now a completely flawed concept. Continuity for continuity sake will not grow something bad into something good.

I can't take my auto mechanic and give him continuity as my tailor and expect him to produce good fitting suits.

Buffalo has never understood this. Hopefully Mr. Pegula can implement the right system of "continuity".

Continuity does not Breed succes

Continuity maintains existing success

When you have belichick running the entire show and anyone scared to object him you're gonna have this. We will see how he does when he looses belickick. In hope he retires before Brady.

Who am I kidding? I hope they both get hit by a train. The world will suffer not great loose.

They actually want to trademark "unequivocally the sweetest."

Man, does that organization ever need some time on the bottom so they and their fans can just become normal human beings again.

Didn't you mention something to the effect that , during last year's SB run, some of their fans were actually saying that getting to the big game was starting to be boring....can you even begin to imagine....talk about being spoiled.....

I was thinking about those kids that were born in the early to mid 90's...by the time they were old enough to understand what football was and pay attention, they've only known NE as the powerhouse they are now....they have no idea what having a bad team means...

Didn't you mention something to the effect that , during last year's SB run, some of their fans were actually saying that getting to the big game was starting to be boring....can you even begin to imagine....talk about being spoiled.....

I was thinking about those kids that were born in the early to mid 90's...by the time they were old enough to understand what football was and pay attention, they've only known NE as the powerhouse they are now....they have no idea what having a bad team means...

Yeah - I read their boards too much. Part of my unhealthy obsession.

There is such a distinction between older Pats fans and the ones you describe, just generally speaking. The older ones are truly savoring every second of this run.

The younger fans definitley talk about how boring the regular season is now, and how it's basically preseason. Maybe I'm rationalizing, but I'd rather be us. I think the feeling of winning is a lot different when you have to suffer first.

True but please don't kid yourself. It sure helps for the last 15 years to have the best QB of all time be under center & still playing at an extremely high level for this engine to be running smoothly.

Teams in the NFL with a starting franchise QB for at least 6 years recently, many still counting

Atlanta, Baltimore, Carolina, Chicago, Cincinnati, Detroit, Dallas, Green Bay, Indy (5 now), KC (4 now), Chargers, Pats, Saints, Giants...

I'll stop counting there, a great QB for a long stretch is common in the NFL...

That's why I said he was viewed as a meddler (also a cheapskate) Parcells quit and walked away from the am AFC Championship team because Kraft and his minions wouldn't let him run the team.

Bob Kraft is an investor that was in the right place at the right time. He got lucky in late rounds on the greatest QB of all time and hired a coach that just failed with the Browns and later turned into one of the greatest coaches of all time.

He doesn't know much about football, compared to any NFL GM. He is the money guy. That's it.

One of the greatest football coaches of all-time

One of the top 2 QBs of all time

Put them together and keep them together for 15+ years so they can continue to add to the system instead of starting over and pretty much nothing else matters.

Kraft may have been drinking when he employed one of the most often used set of corporate BS lines while decrying corporate BS. Check your ego at the door, no finger pointing blah blah blah. The guys was probably drunk.

Bob Kraft is an investor that was in the right place at the right time. He got lucky in late rounds on the greatest QB of all time and hired a coach that just failed with the Browns and later turned into one of the greatest coaches of all time.

He doesn't know much about football, compared to any NFL GM. He is the money guy. That's it.

yup, everyone who did better than you in life is just LUCKY... that's it... it's unfair, isn't it...