GM Doug Whaley has been fired

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he did, but it still wasn't worth beans. i'm not trying to throw **** on him but he is a terrible public speaker.

It's not just that he's a terrible public speaker, he has absolutely no real plan or vision on how he wants to setup his organization. And when you have no clear plan, you cant speak clearly. He still has no idea what type of strucutre he's going to end up with, which means he'll end up with NO structure and doing this all over again in 2 years.

That went well for no one. The journos were terrible.

Yeah, Terry didn't sound much better than he ever has. But there was one journalist in particular who was just on the attack with EVERY question. It was kind of uncomfortable. Sounded like a young Jerry Sullivan. It wasn't Buscaglia or Fairburn - anyone know who that was?

I love the Pegulas for buying the Bills and Sabres and putting their money into it and always will, like I loved Ralph for keeping the Bills here. But he is approaching Russ Brandon territory as far as not being able to believe anything he says in public. There were quite a few whoppers in there.

Yeah, Terry didn't sound much better than he ever has. But there was one journalist in particular who was just on the attack with EVERY question. It was kind of uncomfortable. Sounded like a young Jerry Sullivan. It wasn't Buscaglia or Fairburn - anyone know who that was?

Bucky.

At least everyone knows where the fault lies if things blow up where with the previous setup the lines were blurred and there was no clear hierarchy.

It is definitely a risk to trust a rookie HC with this much power but nothing else has seemed to work so people need to have open mind regarding McDermott turning things around. However, the bullseye will be squarely on his back going forward.

It's not just that he's a terrible public speaker, he has absolutely no real plan or vision on how he wants to setup his organization. And when you have no clear plan, you cant speak clearly. He still has no idea what type of strucutre he's going to end up with, which means he'll end up with NO structure and doing this all over again in 2 years.

Flying by the seat of his pants. I never thought the Pegula shine would wear off so quickly.

My own view is that what you say above is inaccurate. I believe that Whaley wanted no part of Taylor and wanted him gone. That's what all the signs pointed to, at least as I see it. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but I suspect that I won't.

He certainly thought the Bills could do better, but it's not like he was pushing him out the door

reading the carolina panthers forum they prove to be the stupidest fans in the nfl.

paraphrasing. "they took our picks, now want our assistant gm - 'Carolina Bills"

i love that ****. who's bill polian, pete metzalaars, don beebe, AND their first starting qb in franchise history Frank Reich?

idiots.

Certainly looks like there might have been some inside ball there. We did jump them for a couple of picks. We'd all be livid if this situation was reversed. Hopefully we skate, but it doesn't not look great.

Things might get a little uncomfortable for the Bills initially if Beane, the assistant GM of the Panthers, is the new GM here. I noticed that the Bills jumped them twice for players in the draft. Hopefully nothing comes of that. But I do expect him to be the choice.

As for Whaley, he was a mixed bag here, but I thought he should've been sent packing with Rex. The bottom line with him was that he gave us non-playoff teams at SB contender salary cap prices. Overall he had more poor moves than good ones, including some bush league mistakes. I certainly don't feel the least bit bad for him as he will be collecting way more money than he was worth for his time here.

The Panthers forums are full of that conspiracy theory nonsense, we dont need it here.

The Bills jumped up for a WR we desperately needed, and wouldnt fall to the mid 2nd and we had his WR coach from college, and a OT who had slipped who we needed. There isnt much to it. We also jumped the Chargers and Jets, both who needed OT in the 3rd, and the Jets a WR in the 2nd. But hey, its all the Panthers....

Edited by Mountain Man

He said he will SUPPORT Jim Overdorf to new GM

I Feel like he meant he will support JO until the gm is hired. Dont necessarily think he's going to vouch for him when the new gm is hired. Edited by The Wiz

I love the Pegulas for buying the Bills and Sabres and putting their money into it and always will, like I loved Ralph for keeping the Bills here. But he is approaching Russ Brandon territory as far as not being able to believe anything he says in public. There were quite a few whoppers in there.

There were more than a few incoherent answers. Some answers ended mid-sentence. Nothing but ammo for those covering the PC.

I said this earlier in the week...listening to Terry is the equivalent of not being able to look away from the horrible car wreck.

Edited by LabattBlue

Well this was a fab way to start a Sunday.

What a major major dysfunctional organization. I was and am a Whaley supporter despite some moves which I clearly blame him for. Those that wanted Whaley, go their wish. But be careful what you wish for. If the past couple of years are the way the organization is going to be run, we have definite reasons for pessimism. It is not as much as Whaley being fired but it is about how he was given the short end of the stick. He was continually saddled with decisions he had no say over but was axed for the results. And then there is the timing. What changed between January and now ? If he was to be gone, he should have been fired along with Ryan. It would still be the wrong decision, but at least the new GM would come in with the new coaching staff. This reeks of terrible terrible mis management.

Finally, as BADOL immediately pointed out, if we replace Whaley with a Panthers staffer, be assured of an investigation into tampering. One we will lose, along with a pick or more.

I absolutely HATE this move and the way it went down. Just besides myself with anger right now.

I do owe apologies to (1) The BillsVets of the world who I constantly disagreed with regarding the dysfunction of the organization (2) Those who have been saying that Whaley will be let go after the draft, cos I said it made zero sense

Did I say I am friggin pi$$ed ? If I get a warning over this, it will be well worth it.

Certainly looks like there might have been some inside ball there. We did jump them for a couple of picks. We'd all be livid if this situation was reversed. Hopefully we skate, but it doesn't not look great.

No it doesnt. There is entirely logical reasons to both our picks. It didnt take a genius to think the Panthers wanted a WR or OT, you can get that off about a million draft preview sites showing team needs. And we got the best WR and OT prospects left.

Pegs didn't do himself or the Bills any favors in that presser. Now we know why Whaley was sent out on his own, 'cause Pegs ain't much better. The CEO of a billion-dollar company should be a much better public speaker.

Why should he be a better public speaker? I have never understood this grading of freakin press conferences.

I'll feel better about this if it comes out at some point that McD ran this draft.

No doubt McDermott ran it all as multiple sources have been saying for months. Even if you don't believe the sources, the proof is in the pudding. White, Jones, Dawkins, and Vallejo were all on Carolina'a official visits list pre-draft. None of them were on our visits list. We didn't draft any players from FSU or our other favorite schools. That alone tells you Whaley wasn't running things.

Yeah, Terry didn't sound well as usual, but who cares? The guy gets asked some stupid questions that people know he won't/can't answer...what do you expect him to do.

That being said, make no bones about it but Coach McD will have HUGE influence in who the new GM is. Pegs isn't going to stand up there and show his whole hand, never does as he'd rather not be roasted by the press.

The question about if he is embarrassed about the "dead money" from coaches and management was ridiculous. We as fans need to be happy they eprealized they were not moving in the right direction in either organization. I'd much rather them fire who's not working, then be concerned whether the next hire works out. At least they took action with the Bills and Sabres.

@AllbrightNFL: Rumor the #Bills looking at Scot McCloughan for a major role after firing their GM and scouts today.

I would love the move if true.

I believe the word you are looking for is sober. I'd love it if he's sober. Id not be a fan if he's doing another run at moderation.