2017 will be a success if we (fill in the blank)

major

Get a good QB or be in position to get a potentially great one next year. It always starts and ends with the position.

McDermott shows us that the team is disciplined and can get this franchises culture back on track.

Finally.... is to get a good Lb that can compliment Ragland. This system requires solid backers and there's a chance all of our LBs suck. We currently have 2. One that's never played a down in the NFL and is coming off knee surgery. The other, had promise before Rex Ryan got here, but played poorly the last 2 years. I'd really like to get a LB that can do it all. If that happens to be zach brown, I'm ok with that, but I think he may be expensive for our situation.

Edited by NewEra

Top 10 steps to the AFC Championship game

1. Fire Rex - Done

2. Switch to the 4-3 - Done

3. Franchise Gilmore - Soon

4. Keep TT

5. Trade down at least twice in the draft - select WR, S, TE, OLB, WR, DB, MLB, RB Mixon, Oklahoma in the 7th if still there

6. A. Williams returns

7. Ragland is healthy and is at least serviceable at MLB

8. Sign five solid but not star FA's - RT, safety, WR, OLB, DB

9. Bring back Groy and Gillislee on RFA deals

10. Restructure Dareus to help pay for 8 and 9

This assumes Z. Brown is gone.

... understand that we're not going to win many games, and use the year to develop for the future.

- trade back and acquire extra draft picks

- start making free agent decisions with acquiring comp picks in mind

- give up on Tyrod and save the money

- let most of our expensive FAs go. I usually hate this, but our terrible cap status dictates getting back in good cap shape as one of our one or two highest priorities

- draft an RT somewhat high

- draft for character and talent both

Edited by Thurman#1

... understand that we're not going to win many games, and use the year to develop for the future.

- trade back and acquire extra draft picks - agree

- start making free agent decisions with acquiring comp picks in mind - agree in concept. Franchise/extend Gilmore and you can let Woods walk, Z. Brown is gone

- give up on Tyrod and save the money - as has been pointed out his contract number is not that high

- let most of our expensive FAs go. I usually hate this, but our terrible cap status dictates getting back in good cap shape as one of our one or two highest priorities - our cap space is not terrible. Make smart choices and they will be fine. A. Williams may come off the books if he retires. KW only has a season left. Can restructure Dareus. If they sign Gilmore to a new deal his cap hit will be less than the tag. Lots of options.

- draft an RT somewhat high - there are no RTs worth drafting in the first two rounds

- draft for character and talent both - define character? If you mean a guy that dumps his pregnant girlfriend for a super model count me in. Draft for intelligence and talent. Character is a component but a distant third

Free agency: A fun player addition for each AFC team

Buffalo Bills: Tony Jefferson, safety

New Bills coach Sean McDermott has a terrific track record with safeties who can do a little bit of everything. (He tutored relative unknown Eagles safety Quintin Mikell to make second-team All-Pro and helped castoff Kurt Coleman earn big coin in Carolina.) Jefferson can be deployed in a variety of ways, making big plays near the line of scrimmage or in coverage.

Edited by ALF

I'm down with two scenarios:

1) The 'win now' scenario: Keep the offense in tact, but let Robert Woods walk, and draft a play making WR within the first couple of rounds. Shore up defensive depth with the rest of the draft. And hope for a solid RT somewhere in either the draft or FA. Idea is, maintaining offensive output, and improving defensive output with increased depth and improved coaching. This scenario hopefully gets us to the playoffs, but unless our defense is REALLY good, probably not the Superbowl

2) The 'future/tank' scenario: Start trading assets for draft picks. Let the expensive players leave, including Tyrod. Draft a couple QBs, and let them and Cardale battle it out. Likely have a horrible record, but hopefully with good draft position for the following year, and loading up on picks, we 'reset' our team, and grab some good young talent, and finally find a long term top 10 QB. High risk in this scenario, but possible high reward.

1. If Watson isnt there at 10, take Mike Williams or trade back and stock up picks.
2. Grab a WR and S with the top 3 picks

3. Franchise Gilmore

4. Keep Tyrod

5. Grab some signature DW over-performing FA's at WR (DJax, Garcon, etc..) S, RT, CB (especially if no Gilmore), and LB.

6. Keep Ragland healthy.
7. Get Dareus a life coach.

8. Use a late round pick on a 2nd hidden gem WR.

9. Grab Chad Kelly as an UDFA and give him an opportunity.

10. Re-Sign Gillislee, Groy, and ZBrown. Trade Eric Wood for a draft pick or a solid RT.

1. Put almost everyone on the trade block.

Trade for only picks.

• Trade: Tyrod Taylor (2 Rd Pick), LeSaun McCoy (4 Rd Pick), Sammy Watkins (2 Rd Pick), Cordy Glenn (1 Rd Pick), Richie Incognito (4 Rd Pick), Charles Clay (5 Rd Pick), Eric Wood (5 Rd Pick), Jerry Hughes (4 Rd Pick), Marcel Dareus (1 Rd Pick), Preston Brown (4 Rd Pick), Nickel Robey (5 Rd Pick), and tag and trade Stephon Gilmore (1 Rd Pick)

Do not trade: John Miller, Shaq Lawson, Reggie Ragland, Adolphus Washington, or Ronald Darby.

Cut high priced players with no trade value

• Kyle Williams, Corey Graham, Aaron Williams, and Dan Carpenter

Trade down a few spots at a time during the draft.

• Someone will drop a 2018 1 Rd pick to jump up to pick 10, and will swap 2017 1 Rd picks. Trade down a spot at a time accumulating later Rd picks. Completely trade out of round 1 and attempt to acquire top three picks in second round and trade for future 1 Rd picks.

Stock pile picks.

• Should have close to 10 1st Rd picks between 2018 and 2019

In total, we should have close to 20 picks in both 2018 and 2019

Sign veterans to two year prove it deals

• Include team option on second year as well as cap friendly 2nd year trade clause.

With the amount of picks stocked up, we can make a move for just about any QB in the league and still have enough picks left to build around him. The rookie, and veteran deals will also help with all of the dead cap space over the next few years.

- trade back and acquire extra draft picks - agree

- start making free agent decisions with acquiring comp picks in mind - agree in concept. Franchise/extend Gilmore and you can let Woods walk, Z. Brown is gone

- give up on Tyrod and save the money - as has been pointed out his contract number is not that high

- let most of our expensive FAs go. I usually hate this, but our terrible cap status dictates getting back in good cap shape as one of our one or two highest priorities - our cap space is not terrible. Make smart choices and they will be fine. A. Williams may come off the books if he retires. KW only has a season left. Can restructure Dareus. If they sign Gilmore to a new deal his cap hit will be less than the tag. Lots of options.

- draft an RT somewhat high - there are no RTs worth drafting in the first two rounds

- draft for character and talent both - define character? If you mean a guy that dumps his pregnant girlfriend for a super model count me in. Draft for intelligence and talent. Character is a component but a distant third

Marv once distinguished between 'character' and 'football character.' I don't remember exactly how he defined football character but we can all make a good guess:

* practices hard

* studies the playbook; knows his assignments

* never late for meetings or practices

* lays it all on the field during games

* doesn't let his teammates down

* no whining, complaining and other negativity when talking with teammates

I don't know Brady the man enough to judge his off-field character. But he has 'football character' as did most of the Bills during Marv's tenure.

- trade back and acquire extra draft picks

- start making free agent decisions with acquiring comp picks in mind

- give up on Tyrod and save the money

- let most of our expensive FAs go. I usually hate this, but our terrible cap status dictates getting back in good cap shape as one of our one or two highest priorities

- draft an RT somewhat high

- draft for character and talent both

agree in concept. Franchise/extend Gilmore and you can let Woods walk, Z. Brown is gone

as has been pointed out [Tyrod's] contract number is not that high

our cap space is not terrible. Make smart choices and they will be fine. A. Williams may come off the books if he retires. KW only has a season left. Can restructure Dareus. If they sign Gilmore to a new deal his cap hit will be less than the tag. Lots of options.

there are no RTs worth drafting in the first two rounds

- define character? If you mean a guy that dumps his pregnant girlfriend for a super model count me in. Draft for intelligence and talent. Character is a component but a distant third

It has indeed been pointed out that Tyrod's contract numbers are not that high. Wrongly. $40.5 mill - guaranteed - for two years on the roster .... is extremely high for Tyrod. Which is probably a lot of the reason he seems to be a bad bet to return. Disagree? Feel free to talk about it in some thread you won't be hijacking.

And yes, our cap space is terrible. Not getting that is missing the point. 25th in the league. For a 7-9 team. If we'd been competitive, this would have been somewhat understandable. As it is, it's rotten planning. And we've got only $26 mill available with only 45 players signed, about 13 of whom are purely camp bodies like Logan Thomas, Cedric O'Neal, Charles Gaines, Joe powell, Max Valles, Josh Woodrum, Gerald Christian and Colt Anderson who will need to be replaced by more expensive guys who can play at an NFL level.

We're in awful shape in terms of cap room and that's even if we don't sign guys like Gilmore, Corbin Bryant, Jordan Mills, Zach Brown, Robert Woods, Ihedigbo, Lorenzo Alexander, Douzable, Blanton, Cory White, Spikes, Gragg, Marquise Goodwin, Justin Hunter and Brandon Tate. And of course we will give offers to some of those guys, and down will go the available cap number.

Oh, and as for no RTs in the first two rounds, that's nonsense. Ryan Ramczyk says hello and he could easily end up an RT. And I didn't say the first two rounds, I said "somewhat high."

And character is what keeps you from getting a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty when your team is behind by two and driving at your opponent's 30 yard line when somebody punches you and the official doesn't see him do it. It's also what keeps you from getting long suspensions for marijuana on your blood tests, keeps you out of jail and in the lineup and gets you to meetings on time. If you want unaccountable slimeballs on your squad, fine. I don't. Nor did Bill Walsh and plenty of other great coaches.

And while I'm answering you, I'm only doing it because you answered me. This thread asks for your prescription. Go ahead and give yours, and feel free to leave mine out.

Edited by Thurman#1

Oh, and as for no RTs in the first two rounds, that's nonsense. Ryan Ramczyk says hello and he could easily end up an RT. And I didn't say the first two rounds, I said "somewhat high."

So Ramczyk projects as a RT at the NFL level for me. I would just about be fine with him in the 2nd (I have a bang mid 2nd round grade on him) but he won't last that long. It is the same with Cam Robinson. I would consider takim him if he ends up there for us in the 2nd round, but he won't be.

This is a really, really bad OT class and as a result I think teams will reach for the best of a bad bunch types in the back end of the 1st.

1. If the Bills stopped selling to everybody that they are close to contending. No, they are not.

2. Tank, Bottom Out, Rebuild Through The Draft To be dominant after Brady retires. Brick by Brick.

3. Fire Doug Whaley

4. Draft "Blue Chip" play makers.

5. Draft a Franchise Quarterback and develop him.