How often do you drink?

NCDAWG

That's my question. If that's the daily amount that's a LOT.

My routine was Thurs (sometimes) Fri and Sat (every week) Sun (sometimes). And it would be 6-8 drinks per day usually wine or beer. That became too much so I've been dry for about a year (ok ok so I fell off the wagon that day in Sept and lost the car keys...geez).

That sounds a lot like my routine, but I don't always stop at 8, I put whiskey in the rotation, and I try not to work Thu and Sun into the same week.

Rule of thumb: Don't drink more than 2 days in a row, and if you do, take the next 2 days off. If you break those rules you're going to have a bad time.

I don't have a hard-and-fast rule. If I feel like drinking a beer or a glass of wine, I'll do it. I will rarely drink more than 2 beers in a sitting, usually just one. My liquor of choice tends to be rum... again I won't usually drink more than two. I'd say I would average about 2-3 days per week where I have a drink.

Beer festivals are where things get interesting. We go to about 3 or 4 of those per year but with the oddly sized sample glass and wide variety of ABVs, it's hard to know how much alcohol you consume at them.

My wife and I were with friends down in New Orleans this year for Mardi Gras. I got enough drinking out of that trip to last me quite some time... haven't had a drink since. When I drink too much, I will wake up in a sweat with my heart racing... it's an unpleasant enough feeling for me that I don't like to do it unless it's for a specific occasion.

Sorry KD, the opportunity was there. Thought it was funny.

No rules/restrictions here. Usually beer and/or bourbon or scotch on weekends. Wife likes wine so usually a bottle or two between us a couple nights a week with dinner. We just generally have fun no matter what, alcohol or water, we have a good time.

I see a lot of wine drinkers here. I'm pushing 40 and I can probably count the number of times I drank an entire glass of wine on 2 hands(not counting Boons farm or mad dog 20/20 in my younger days). Is that even wine? Maybe I need to step it up and get refined.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

Friday, Saturday for me. Will start with a few nice local beers then move to either straight whiskey on the rocks or vodka/soda/lime when it's hot out. I'm pretty good holding to my Friday, Saturday only rule but will stray from time to time. Last season with the Sharks in the playoffs I needed a little help to mellow me out during weekday games.

Pretty much done. Lost 40lbs . Lifting and doing push ups 400. Chin ups ,pullups Bench presses ,curls, bands. 4 times a week. Hour and a half time . Drunks are punks. 58 and feeling great. Drink a hard cola ....once in a great while.

Why can't anyone be happy for their own situation without putting others down? You sound like yet another person who couldn't control himself enough to drink socially -- i.e., anyone who drinks is a drunk. Glad you're happy and healthy but your path isn't the only one.

I dig your Embiid avatar. I am a sixers fan. I also drink alone a lot. Cheers.

Just poured myself a scotch. Everyone else is in bed. I just finished getting ready for the snow tomorrow. Now I'm relaxing to some music and I'll probably drink a beer after this and call it off. The older I get, the more drinks I can handle. And though I and others thrive when I'm alone, drinking too much when I'm alone is not something I want to do very often. Usually I drink on Fridays and Saturdays, but I know I'm not doing anything tomorrow but shoveling snow, watching a movie with my kids, and having friends over for dinner.

The Bills and the Sixers? You didn't stand a chance! :)

I actually became a Bills fan in the mid 80's (born in 79). Went to my first game in 87, so I actually had a pretty good run there in the late 80's/early 90's.

I became a 76ers fan when they drafted Charles Barkley in the mid-80's. I used to watch college basketball games with my older brother (my father hates basketball), and I loved watching Auburn and Barkley even though my favorite team was always Syracuse. We had a decent run there during the Iverson years, but not much else.

Just poured myself a scotch. Everyone else is in bed. I just finished getting ready for the snow tomorrow. Now I'm relaxing to some music and I'll probably drink a beer after this and call it off. The older I get, the more drinks I can handle. And though I and others thrive when I'm alone, drinking too much when I'm alone is not something I want to do very often. Usually I drink on Fridays and Saturdays, but I know I'm not doing anything tomorrow but shoveling snow, watching a movie with my kids, and having friends over for dinner.

I'm kinda the same way. My wife and I usually have a couple drinks together after we put the kids to bed, but she goes to bed early usually. I typically stay up until 11 or 12, and I might have a couple drinks but I rarely get drunk. I usually am watching sports, listening to music, or tinkering with something around the house. On Friday night (sat is my sleep in day) I sometimes will drink more heavily.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

Doctors say 2 a day but I drink zero from Sun - Thursday. Then several on Friday happy hour(S) and day drink Saturdays. Funny this topic came up because I just thought about taking 90 days off just for health reasons and to see if I could. This will sound sad, but my wife and I love having drinks and food so much on saturdays that I need to figure out what other people do on Saturdays.

Doctors say 2 a day but I drink zero from Sun - Thursday. Then several on Friday happy hour(S) and day drink Saturdays. Funny this topic came up because I just thought about taking 90 days off just for health reasons and to see if I could. This will sound sad, but my wife and I love having drinks and food so much on saturdays that I need to figure out what other people do on Saturdays.

Game nights and swinging according to my research.

The above is pretty much where I am at. I totally understand what you said about happy mediums.

I used to drink too much beer, mostly cheap beer at that. I stopped for a year and was fine, meaning not a great struggle.

My doctors all say that 2 drinks a day are ok. I do this with my girlfriend now once every 1 or 2 weeks, and for whatever reason I can no longer stomach commercial beer. So, I do 2 IPAs or craft beers every now and then and it's cool.

That said, I have watched almost all of the Bills and Alabama games alcohol free. It doesn't bother me but to be honest its a little confusing. Once I am actually sitting there looking at the games I don't care at all, which is great.

I have not smoked a cigarette since 10/15/15 and never will smoke again. That is getting easier but urges still occur. If I can quit cigarettes anybody can, although it is tougher (for me) than alcohol by a wide margin. I'm not sure how this is for other people.

I drink beer much faster and in much higher quantities while watching the Bills and Alabama. Not sure why. I just drink without even realizing it and I look down and it's empty.

My wife and I are the same way. Our hobby is going out to eat and drink at new restaurants.

I'm surprised by the number of teetotalers on a football message board, as well as the number of folks with alcoholic relatives!

My dad's side of the family is European and that means cocktails every evening and wine with dinner. My wife and I have altered that somewhat...we just drink wine, but it's a rare day when I don't have 1-3 glasses. I rarely get "drunk" and never drive if I've been drinking at more than a 1 drink/hour pace. As far as I can tell, I've not experienced any negative repercussions (besides $$ spent) from my drinking habits.

I think a lot of people simply don't understand what casual or social drinking means -- they believe anyone who drinks gets drunk all the time.

My father, brother, and several aunts and uncles ere or were alcoholics. My brother has been sober since the later 70's and is a preacher.

I had only three beers at last year's opening day tailgate at Hammers, but I brought my brother who does not drink with me, and I figured he should have one sober person to hang out with LOL.

He had a great time because he does not judge.

I used to have WAY too many at tailgates, but why spend a MINIMUM of $100 a ticket to go to the game, and sit there drunk and miss the game?

I have a beer or glass of wine most nights. Like others, I have more during Bills games.

Sometimes how many I have depends on if I am driving. I do no drive impaired!

Just like smoking. It eventually takes a toll. Extrapolated over a lifetime, even them seemingly few drinks a day, takes a toll. Might not see it while young, but then you wake up one day looking like Kramer on Seinfeld after binging on cigars. Alcohol, same thing.

I am such a kill joy... But your liver approves! ;-)

I actually became a Bills fan in the mid 80's (born in 79). Went to my first game in 87, so I actually had a pretty good run there in the late 80's/early 90's.

I became a 76ers fan when they drafted Charles Barkley in the mid-80's. I used to watch college basketball games with my older brother (my father hates basketball), and I loved watching Auburn and Barkley even though my favorite team was always Syracuse. We had a decent run there during the Iverson years, but not much else.

I'm kinda the same way. My wife and I usually have a couple drinks together after we put the kids to bed, but she goes to bed early usually. I typically stay up until 11 or 12, and I might have a couple drinks but I rarely get drunk. I usually am watching sports, listening to music, or tinkering with something around the house. On Friday night (sat is my sleep in day) I sometimes will drink more heavily.

That all sounds a lot like me, but I'm a couple decades ahead of you. HOWEVER, I'm in Orlando for the NCAA tourney, and I'm heading to Church Street Station now for pre-game looking forward to the 6:50 Xavier game. Wish me luck! (I may need it.)

I drink beer much faster and in much higher quantities while watching the Bills and Alabama. Not sure why. I just drink without even realizing it and I look down and it's empty.

Yeah, beers can go down fast during games.

With the Bills, I think 1t has much to do with anxiety. Many Bills Fans watch games waiting for the bottom to fall out, and then it happens. Next thing you know you have finished 6 or 8 beers.

As for the Crimson Tide, I think it is different. This season they would start games rather slow on offense, but the defense would keep it close. You could see that they just needed the opponent to make one mistake and they would put the game away. You are sitting there watching this well oiled machine and there go the same 6 or 8 beers. :)

There are a few Bills/Crimson Tide Fans on this board. I think most will agree that it truly is mixing pleasure and pain. Imagine going from Rex to Coach Saban!

I guess it's easier for me to have none than my allotted 2.