New Era sign is atrocious

mrags

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

oddly, the add on above the scoreboard in that pic is photoshopped. It hasn't been put up yet. It's not there at this time. The posts it's held under by stop at the top of the billboard.

Ha! I actually thought the entire thing was shopped at first glance...

Ha! I actually thought the entire thing was shopped at first glance...

just the New Era part of it.

So technically until that part gets done the only New Era logos or name are on the small portions on the ends.

it is pretty bad though.. looks like a billboard you'd see on some interstate.. but hey they paid for it so they get to do what they want

Currently it's just a banner and not a painted logo. Someone stated earlier it could be temporary or a rotational banner. Either way, I think painting the New Era logo would be the way to go.

I'm betting that...sometime during week 3, when, either Sammy Watkins is hauling in his 2nd TD of the day, or, the defense is giving up a long run because yet another LB was out of position...

...I won't be thinking "all of this would be better if it wasn't for that that stupid sign out front". :rolleyes:

By the by, if Sammy is hauling in his 2nd TD in Wk 3, this is exactly what I'll be thinking: "Oh boy is this great?"

Edited by OCinBuffalo

They don't owe Ralph Wilson anything?

You immediately lose all credibility with all clear thinking Bills fans with that statement.

!!!!!

Well, people have said a lot in my 10k+ posts but no one has ever said that I've lost credibility.

You didn't answer my question regarding some guys that were better owners than Ralph.

Who owes Ralph what, exactly? And why?

Apparently a bronze statue and a plaza named after him are insufficient. They should do what the Giants did for Wellington Mara. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I was just a pup when the Stadium was built and found some of this interesting. it's a wiki page, anyone remember this?

An original franchise of the American Football League in 1960, the Buffalo Bills played their first thirteen seasons at War Memorial Stadium, a multi-use WPA project stadium that opened in 1938, located on Buffalo's East Side. While suitable for AFL play in the 1960s, the "Rockpile" (as the stadium came to be nicknamed), was in disrepair, in a neighborhood increasingly subject to white flight and urban decay, and, with a capacity of under 47,000, undersized for a National Football League team. The league mandate instituted after the AFL–NFL merger of 1970 dictated a minimum of 50,000 seats.

In early 1971, owner Ralph Wilson was exploring options to relocate the team, possibly to Seattle, with other cities such as Memphis and Tampa soon expressing interest as well. The potential loss of the team hastened the stadium project and Rich Stadium opened in 1973. The location and construction of the stadium in Erie County were the source of years of litigation, which ended with a financial settlement for a developer who had planned to erect a domed stadium in Lancaster. However, plans changed because it was not wanted to be close to Lancaster High School. The stadium was ultimately built by Frank Schoenle and his construction company. Stadium bonds were approved by the county legislature in September 1971.

Naming rights

Rich Products, a Buffalo-based food products company, signed a 25-year, $1.5 million deal ($60,000 per year), by which the venue would be called "Rich Stadium"; one of the earliest examples of the sale of naming rights in North American sports. (The name was somewhat of a compromise, after Bills owner and founder Ralph Wilson rejected the name Rich wanted to use, "Coffee Rich Park.") By a vote of 16 to 4, the county legislature approved the name in November 1972, despite a matching offer from Wilson to name it "Buffalo Bills Stadium."

When the Bills organization regularly referred to the stadium without the "Rich" name, Rich Products brought a $7.5 million lawsuit against the team in 1976. After the original deal expired after a quarter century in 1998, the stadium was renamed in honor of Wilson. Rich Products balked at paying a greatly increased rights fee, which would have brought the price up to par with other NFL stadiums.

They don't owe him anything!!! In fact, what they've done far exceeds what other teams have done. They built him a statue and named a plaza after him!! Why don't Wellington Mara, Lamar Hunt or George Halas have their names on stadiums?

I agree. There are plenty of ways to honor Ralph besides keeping the name of the Stadium, the ones you mentioned, plus the wall of fame comes immediately to mind. It's not like the stadium was named in memory of Ralph, that would be different. It's been named the Ralph for 17 years, it's a new regime, time for a change...

Edited by ricojes

It's Pegula's team, and he can put whatever sign he wants. Creating more profit like 25 other teams is a good business decision. I have zero problem with the name. Besides, it's somewhat fitting calling it, New Era Stadium.

the name isn't my issue.

So glad I have to keep repeating that.

Well, people have said a lot in my 10k+ posts but no one has ever said that I've lost credibility.

You didn't answer my question regarding some guys that were better owners than Ralph.

Apparently a bronze statue and a plaza named after him are insufficient. They should do what the Giants did for Wellington Mara.

To say that they, and so 'we', don't owe Ralph Wilson a thing is nonsensical and disrespectful.

Yes, other stadiums are not generally named after their founder, but this one was. The smart and respectful thing to do would be to include his name as a significant part of the Buffalo Bills' stadium's name.

It is not all about the bottom line. Many owners took the money and ran in the last few decades, deserting their cities and their loyal fans. Ralph Wilson never did so despite many opportunities to cash in.

There are many things more important than squeezing every cent out of a business, such as loyalty, history.. And integrity.

To say that they, and so 'we', don't owe Ralph Wilson a thing is nonsensical and disrespectful.

Yes, other stadiums are not generally named after their founder, but this one was. The smart and respectful thing to do would be to include his name as a significant part of the Buffalo Bills' stadium's name.

It is not all about the bottom line. Many owners took the money and ran in the last few decades, deserting their cities and their loyal fans. Ralph Wilson never did so despite many opportunities to cash in.

There are many things more important than squeezing every cent out of a business, such as loyalty, history.. And integrity.

The stadium was not named in memory of Ralph Wilson.

Ralph Wilson ok'ed the idea to sell the naming rights in 2012.

Would you be offended if Pegula named it Pegula Field? Why? Pegula is making his own contribution to the Buffalo Bills, and the city of Buffalo in his own right.

Lastly, Pegula can do what he wants with what he paid $1.4 billion dollars for, and us fans "judging" from the sidelines can shove it about integrity and all that.

Edited by What a Tuel

I've heard "The Cap" tossed around.

thats what New Era and the Bills want you to call it, based on the lame advertisement billboard.

Personally I think "The Cap" is just as bad as the stupid billboard. I'll just call it "The Ralph" instead.

I get it, you just paid millions for the naming rights. But you are really going to stand there and replace the front door of the stadium with the former deceased owners name with a stupid advertisement for hats? You couldn't come up with some sort of decent logo, signage. Instead it looks like a stupid billboard off the 190.

Ralph is probably rolling over in his grave right now.

Pegula should be ashamed of himself as well. For someone who is such a pansy when he talks about his teams and his town, sure sells out like a B word.

I am fairly certain that sign is just temporary. They had said that, since the agreement came so close to the start of the season, permanent signage would not be completed until next year. I'm sure this sign will not be there once they have time to get permanent signage in place.

I don't mind the name. I love that it is a partnership with a successful local company. I am still expecting them to honor Ralph Wilson in some significant way.

I am fairly certain that sign is just temporary. They had said that, since the agreement came so close to the start of the season, permanent signage would not be completed until next year. I'm sure this sign will not be there once they have time to get permanent signage in place.

I don't mind the name. I love that it is a partnership with a successful local company. I am still expecting them to honor Ralph Wilson in some significant way.

this makes sense. I hope your right

100% agree with that which is why they built a freakin' statue of the guy!!! He displayed those traits but has been more than fairly praised. He doesn't need the stadium named after him.

The Bills had a chance to get an extra $40M!!!! New Era paid $40M and can name the stadium (or field) whatever they want. Sports are a business (now more than ever). I know that people hate to hear it. The Bills (and every team) employ more people to run their business than they do players, coaches, and personnel people combined. That's the reality. Pegula paid $1.4B to buy the Bills and keep them in Buffalo. There should be no ill will towards him for recouping $40M of that and partnering with a local company.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

I get it, you just paid millions for the naming rights. But you are really going to stand there and replace the front door of the stadium with the former deceased owners name with a stupid advertisement for hats? You couldn't come up with some sort of decent logo, signage. Instead it looks like a stupid billboard off the 190.

Pegula should be ashamed of himself as well. For someone who is such a pansy when he talks about his teams and his town, sure sells out like a B word.

Those are some dope hats though.

100% agree with that which is why they built a freakin' statue of the guy!!! He displayed those traits but has been more than fairly praised. He doesn't need the stadium named after him.

The Bills had a chance to get an extra $40M!!!! New Era paid $40M and can name the stadium (or field) whatever they want to call it. Sports are a business (now more than ever). I know that people hate to hear it. The Bills (and every team) employee more people to run their business than they do players, coaches, and personnel people combined). That's the reality. Pegula paid $1.4B to buy the Bills and keep them in Buffalo. There should be no ill will towards him for recouping $40M of that and partnering with a local company.

Agreed 100%, He payed 1.4 B for the team, and kept them in Buffalo, he can do what he wants with the naming rights. Fact of the matter is, Ralph should have sold the naming rights years ago.

Edited by DirtDart

The sign looks incredibly unprofessional and cheesy imo. I guess that's fitting for the Rex Ryan era. Very hokey compared to signage at every other corporate sponsored NFL stadium. The main entrance of every corporate named NFL stadium I have seen has signage that features the company logo. I find the giant pictures of the hats to be better suited for other places in the stadium that aren't the main entrance. Especially considering the fact I find the hat on the far left to be hideous looking on that "billboard". I would never guess that's the main entrance if is didn't know.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

The sign looks incredibly unprofessional and cheesy imo. I guess that's fitting for the Rex Ryan era. Very hokey compared to signage at every other corporate sponsored NFL stadium. The main entrance of every corporate named NFL stadium I have seen has signage that features the company logo. I find the giant pictures of the hats to be better suited for other places in the stadium that aren't the main entrance. Especially considering the fact I find the hat on the far left to be hideous looking on that "billboard". I would never guess that's the main entrance if is dint know.

Most stadiums have "Bank of America Stadium" and "EverBank Field" and "Metlife Stadium" plastered all over them with little reference to the team. If you are taking issue with the architecture of the entrance...well that's a different argument.

The sign looks incredibly unprofessional and cheesy imo. I guess that's fitting for the Rex Ryan era. Very hokey compared to signage at every other corporate sponsored NFL stadium. The main entrance of every corporate named NFL stadium I have seen has signage that features the company logo. I find the giant pictures of the hats to be better suited for other places in the stadium that aren't the main entrance. Especially considering the fact I find the hat on the far left to be hideous looking on that "billboard". I would never guess that's the main entrance if is dint know.

these were exactly my thoughts as well.

Most stadiums have "Bank of America Stadium" and "EverBank Field" and "Metlife Stadium" plastered all over them with little reference to the team. If you are taking issue with the architecture of the entrance...well that's a different argument.

the point is, you know what stadium it is. Without the photoshopped New Era banner across the top, there is little reference to the name New Era and you would never know its New Era Field.

Again, you would just think it's some cheesy billboard advertising hats.

Fwiw, I don't care how successful the New Era company is, if your stadiums entrance is going to be 3 hats wallpapered on a billboard, you look 2nd rate.

Now, that doesn't mean that the billboard won't change. That there won't be some kind of permanent New Era Logo on the stadium at some point in big, tall, 10ft letters. But right now it's looks like awful.

If you don't agree, that's fine. But no other stadiums in the league have their sponsor named wrapped in wallpaper, barely showing the sponsors name.

post-11267-0-34541400-1471624299_thumb.jpg

post-11267-0-89462000-1471624322_thumb.jpg

Edited by mrags

these were exactly my thoughts as well.

the point is, you know what stadium it is. Without the photoshopped New Era banner across the top, there is little reference to the name New Era and you would never know its New Era Field.

Again, you would just think it's some cheesy billboard advertising hats.

Fwiw, I don't care how successful the New Era company is, if your stadiums entrance is going to be 3 hats wallpapered on a billboard, you look 2nd rate.

Now, that doesn't mean that the billboard won't change. That there won't be some kind of permanent New Era Logo on the stadium at some point in big, tall, 10ft letters. But right now it's looks like awful.

If you don't agree, that's fine. But no other stadiums in the league have their sponsor named wrapped in wallpaper, barely showing the sponsors name.

With the design of our entrance I would prefer this billboard to letters saying New Era Field and thats it. Call it less classy, but the way our stadium looks, that type of formatting would be mundane. It only worked for Ralph Wilson Stadium because the name had significance, and even then it was a little boring.

With the design of our entrance I would prefer this billboard to letters saying New Era Field and thats it. Call it less classy, but the way our stadium looks, that type of formatting would be mundane. It only worked for Ralph Wilson Stadium because the name had significance, and even then it was a little boring.

Do you really not see the difference between the badge style stadium logo at Mile High and the hat advertisement at our stadium?

You don't need to have a simple typeface in order to have a good design (although that would probably work in our case). At least you agree our new billboard isn't classy.

Not to pick a fight here....but you pointed out something without realizing it.

It is not commonly done......so it is a matter of opinion of what would be right or wrong here.

ROTFLMAO... we all begged Ralph to sell rights decades ago so we'd have money to sign more top players.. Not selling stadium rights was a typical dimwitted Ralph Wilson decision IMO

We do not owe him a damn thing.. He still owes us about 25 competitive teams..

Edited by ddaryl