SI: Don Banks Says Rex & Whaley Not Sweating a Bad Week

@SInow

Rex Ryan talks Bills injuries and tells @DonBanks Sammy Watkins "isn't a china doll" http://on.si.com/20gMrcM

Ci7jF_0WYAEF3dw.jpg

On the concern that Sammy Watkins is becoming injury prone:

On whether the Bills’ pass rush will suffer without Lawson in the lineup:

On why Archer did not report to the team this week, prompting Buffalo to put him on the reserve/did not report list:

Whaley on losing Shaq Lawson for the season’s first half:

On whether expectations for Lawson have now been lowered:

@sn_nfl

Rex Ryan wanted to trade for Odell Beckham Jr. as a rookie http://dlvr.it/LMNvk5

Ci7r54YWgAA6dd0.jpg

Don Banks: Tyrod Taylor "an intriguing talent" (14:36)

SI.com Senior NFL Writer Don Banks sat down on The John Murphy Show to share his thoughts on the Bills defense moving forward, the offense under Tyrod Taylor, the offensive line's continued success in 2016, and where Buffalo fits in the AFC East.
Edited by 26CornerBlitz

and how did Porcelain Watkins injure himself this time?

Why won't these reporters ask the questions everyone is wondering about?

Transparency is so last year.

The fans deserve the truth.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

“We look at it like we have two first-round picks this year, Shaq Lawson and Reggie Ragland. Because we were going to pick Reggie Ragland at No. 19 if Shaq wasn’t there, and then we got them both. So for us, we’re playing with house money.”

Imo

Probaby did something stupid that he shouldn't have been doing on his own time huh?

Sammy had surgery a month ago and has another 12 weeks to go before training camp and 16 before the start of the season. Shouldn't be an issue.

As for Shaq, it sucks losing him for any amount of time, but he hasn't played in the NFL yet so the Bills can't miss what they never had. In his place the other Lawson will play.

But I guess they should instead be telling everyone how they're doomed, right?

just win, baby.

“We look at it like we have two first-round picks this year, Shaq Lawson and Reggie Ragland. Because we were going to pick Reggie Ragland at No. 19 if Shaq wasn’t there, and then we got them both. So for us, we’re playing with house money.”

house money is trending at 8-8.

Imo

How did he hurt himself this time? Playing football as reports of his having played through it last season would indicate. And playing at a very high level as his second half of the season suggests.

He's had some tough luck with injuries, including the cheap shot that broke his ribs. But I'd hardly call him porcelain. He's as tough as they come at the position.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Without Sammy at 100% our passing attack was weak as hell last year. We don't need a "knicked up" Watkins out there "not missing starts." He's all the downfield explosion we have and Tyrod was in sync with him at the end of last year.

It's only a bad week to the chicken little media and fans. smh.

Yeah, I don't get the level of upset some have. They don't have a game next week. Watkins has missed 3 out of 32 games. He plays with injuries like every other player. Shaq might miss some games, but I believe he was drafted to play for the next 5 to 10 years. He is expected to play this season as well.

Without Sammy at 100% our passing attack was weak as hell last year. We don't need a "knicked up" Watkins out there "not missing starts." He's all the downfield explosion we have and Tyrod was in sync with him at the end of last year.

He played nicked up last season. And the year before that too. And when the QB's looked for him he made plays in each season. Which is why people shouldn't be so upset.

Imo

Why don't you already know?

Probaby did something stupid that he shouldn't have been doing on his own time huh?

No, as another poster stated, he hurt it last season. This is conjecture, but he probably tried to let it heal on its own, waited as long as he could, thus the surgery now. Edited by chris heff

Why don't you already know?

No, as another poster stated, he hurt it last season. This is conjecture, but he probably tried to let it heal on its own, waited as long as he could, thus the surgery now.

yes. He played with stress fracture in his foot, commonly developed in outside WRs, and it is something that you can play with but it can be lingering, so they decided to take care off it in the offseason. This should be a good thing for Sammy in terms of when he comes back. The screw is put in to stabilize it and make it heal easier. It's a 6 week recovery if it occurs in season and they just want to get the player back out on the field (i.e. Dez, Edelman last year) but the expert they interviewed (Stephania Bell) indicated they will probably wait 8 weeks at least with Sammy, because they can. Reportedly it was on the 5th metatarsal. AJ green, Julio Jones and Davante Parker have had similar issues in their careers. The key is not rushing back. Sammy had the surgery 3 weeks ago, so he will have plenty of time. Dez and Edelman both rushed back too soon because it was in season and had to have 2nd surgeries this offseason. Edited by YoloinOhio

It's only a bad week to the chicken little media and fans. smh.

How can anyone say it wasn't a bad week or rip anyone who says it was? By any objective measure it was a very bad week. It wasn't catastrophic. It wasn't season ruining. It wasn't the worst possible week the Bills could have had. But, Good Lord, it was bad.

How can anyone say it wasn't a bad week or rip anyone who says it was? By any objective measure it was a very bad week. It wasn't catastrophic. It wasn't season ruining. It wasn't the worst possible week the Bills could have had. But, Good Lord, it was bad.

Yes, not having any surgeries is better, but two players having surgery in the offseason with both expected back 100% this season did not deserve the freak out it received. Classic offseason-itis. Sorry if it hurts your feelings to have that pointed out but someone has to be the grown-up.

All I know is when he’s healthy, you can’t cover him, it’s as simple as that. No cornerback in the league can cover him, and you can quote me on that, and I’ve got video proof of it. The best of the best can’t cover him.

Love it.

Yes, not having any surgeries is better, but two players having surgery in the offseason with both expected back 100% this season did not deserve the freak out it received. Classic offseason-itis. Sorry if it hurts your feelings to have that pointed out but someone has to be the grown-up.

Sorry to work you up there, Kool Aid. I usually think of "good" things as ones that I want to happen and "bad" things as those I don't want to happen. Now, sure, some bad things are inevitable and some are within expected norms, but even those expected "bad" things are still bad. Whether or not we disagree on whether or not this week was within expected norms or how much of it the Bills brought upon themselves the Bills still had a very bad week. If you want to scream "ALL IS WELL!!!" you certainly can, but don't be surprised if people call you out on it or refuse to take you seriously.

Sorry to work you up there, Kool Aid. I usually think of "good" things as ones that I want to happen and "bad" things as those I don't want to happen. Now, sure, some bad things are inevitable and some are within expected norms, but even those expected "bad" things are still bad. Whether or not we disagree on whether or not this week was within expected norms or how much of it the Bills brought upon themselves the Bills still had a very bad week. If you want to scream "ALL IS WELL!!!" you certainly can, but don't be surprised if people call you out on it or refuse to take you seriously.

All is well? Or don't lose your schitt over this?

Perspective. Look it up. Use it.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Imo

Nothing is more off base when it comes to professional sports than this idea of team transparency. The belief that somehow a private for profit corporation owes fans a peek behind the curtain or that the media has a right to access locker rooms, players, coaches, front office personal, or owners is misguided at the least and self-righteous at the worst.
The reason is simple with regard to fans. Being a fan is not compulsory nor is being a season ticket holder or buying merchandise. The transaction between you and the team/league is simply one of customer-service provider. It's not different than buying a coffee at Tim Hortons, where you have no rights to their business operations and corporate decision making information. Simply, if you don't like the service you're buying, find another one or stop altogether. And because you continue to chose to buy (i.e., brand loyalty) doesn't change the manner of the relationship and thereby require the team to reward your loyalty with information it frankly deems non of your business. Just because you own and love the iPhone and have bought ever one doesn't give you any rights to their proprietary information that indicates how the designed it (i.e, like building a team).
And I'll take it step further since someone will argue "well we pay for the stadium." True, but that only gives us the right to the information on the transaction and agreement between the government (us) and the renter. It does not extend to the renter's business and, by proxy, requiring the nature of their business decisions being open for our prying eyes. We own the SolarCity plant and all its equipment, does that mean we have a right to their decision-making information? Nope.
As for the media, they have no right to anything in professional sports. The league sees them and treats them as free PR, an unpaid arm of the league. Somehow, this idea that they are required to have access is from some unknown origin. Where exactly is this right codified? The relationship between leagues and the media is based on mutual benefit, not some need to be open and transparent.
The only requirement for transparency is for the government since taxes and laws are compulsory, therefore we have the right to open, transparent governance that provides us the ability to see how out government functions. It is here that the media has rights and should have access and act as the "medium" by which open government is truly open. FOIL was enacted to ensure government transparency. Last I checked, you can't FOIL the Bills' draft board.
Transparency simply does not extend to the NFL.
If you feel like you are "owed" transparency, all I can say is "Wow, you take this way too seriously."

Transparency simply does not extend to the NFL.
If you feel like you are "owed" transparency, all I can say is "Wow, you take this way too seriously."

It was my impression that he is a self-proclaimed "insider," so presumably he doesn't need transparency.

Must just be looking out for the rest of us :rolleyes:

All is well? Or don't lose your schitt over this?

Perspective. Look it up. Use it.

That's what it really comes down to isn't it? We say "all is not lost", they think it means "all is well".

Flip it around and can they say the same? They say "all is lost", and we think it means...."all is lost". I mean what else can you take from the "incompetence", "fire whaley", "fire the medical staff" comments? (not specifically you Barley)

Edited by What a Tuel

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/19/doug-whaley-bills-draft-picks-shaq-lawson

Here's an article by Bedard about Whaley, he says something along the lines of he had never heard a GM talk the way he does about 1st round picks never mind 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders.

wow. Well, I need a drink.

I think the article was purposely one-sided, but scathing nonetheless.

Edited by YoloinOhio

http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/05/19/doug-whaley-bills-draft-picks-shaq-lawson

Here's an article by Bedard about Whaley, he says something along the lines of he had never heard a GM talk the way he does about 1st round picks never mind 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders.

DW may be alright as a scout evaluating players for the defense, but I don't think there's any doubt he is in WAY over his head as a GM.

DW may be alright as a scout evaluating players for the defense, but I don't think there's any doubt he is in WAY over his head as a GM.

In your mind maybe, don't speak for everyone else or anything.

wow. Well, I need a drink.

I think the article was purposely one-sided, but scathing nonetheless.

Usual crap article, they always go to BILL BELiCHICK wouldn't do that.

I can't believe the freakin' freakout by people this week about this stuff. It seems like the crowd on one-side is flipping out that the season is doomed, and the negative crowd on the other, is using the news to attack Whaley and the organization per usual. Get a grip everybody, don't go to the lowest common denominator. There is no reason to believe Watkins is a problem. And, Lawson was going to be a rookie anyway. He'll get fixed, that's what football players do, and give us a lift in the second half perhaps. Is that what should do panic or attack when things happen.

Edited by The Thurmanator

In your mind maybe, don't speak for everyone else or anything.

Usual crap article, they always go to BILL BELiCHICK wouldn't do that.

I can't believe the freakin' freakout by people this week about this stuff. It seems like the crowd on one-side is flipping out that the season is doomed, and the negative crowd on the other, is using the news to attack Whaley and the organization per usual. Get a grip everybody, don't go to the lowest common denominator. There is no reason to believe Watkins is a problem. And, Lawson was going to be a rookie anyway. He'll get fixed, that's what football players do, and give us a lift in the second half perhaps. Is that what should do panic or attack when things happen.

Maybe. Me, I'm not too worried about Sammy's foot YET, and I'm not too judgmental on Shaq either, I'll wait to see how he looks when he's ready. I do think the amateur hour feel that OBD presents is a big problem, but as always, winning cures all, now make it happen already.

Maybe. Me, I'm not too worried about Sammy's foot YET, and I'm not too judgmental on Shaq either, I'll wait to see how he looks when he's ready. I do think the amateur hour feel that OBD presents is a big problem, but as always, winning cures all, now make it happen already.

I agree. All fair save the amateur hour.

Edited by The Thurmanator