Will the Bills make the playoffs this year?

Will they get in?  

162 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No for now but if you post this after the draft, I bet 95% of us vote yes

CBF

I purposely wanted to post this before FA and the draft. The truth of the matter is that the current roster plus maybe one value free agent and one starter from the draft have to get us to the promised land. If we are lucky maybe we get two quality starters from the draft.

In either case, the playoffs are a tall order in the AFCE as winning the division outright is at the very best a long shot.

NO

schedule is much harder

7-9

So sick of this nonsense. No, it's not. I'd bet if you look at EVERY year around this time, you'll see scads of posts about how hard the schedule is. Cards and Seahawks should be very difficult, yes, but the Browns and 49ers may be absolute trainwrecks and the worst teams in football.

The problem is, when we look at the schedule, we both presume teams like the Ravens had an off year, while the Bengals or Steelers definitely won't, and the Jags, Raiders, and Rams were clearly underachievers and will be better. We're a bad 8-8 team until we prove otherwise, except with those 7-9 (and 5-11) teams, there's no question they'll be better right away).

This team is about the hardest to gauge at this point. I'm gonna say yes, because I'm a fan, and honestly think they have the talent -- it's just whether some players can come back and Rex Ryan can remember how to coach a game or get the most out of his defense. I have some hope for the former as he has been top 10 most seasons in the past.

If Aaron Williams and Kyle Williams come back strong, the line is healthy (Henderson may be better than most people think). and Ryan does with the defense, what he's done with past defenses, instead of whatever the hell was going on last season, and Tyrod is for real, Watkins continues his arc towards beyond real, this could be a breakout season a la the Panthers this year. If everything goes wrong, we could well be talking about who to take with a top pick this time next year.

The Bills lost to Jacksonville and struggled to beat Tennessee. Come on, they weren't that good, and they're going to get worse as the defense completely falls apart next year, and the offense struggles without Incognito and without the suspended Shady. And there's no AFC South or crummy NFC East, which the Bills still failed to succeed against.

4-12, and Wrecks is fired in November.

i don't believe in Rex Ryan, our offensive line may well be worse than last year's, and we don't have the luxury we had last season of going after some high priced free agents. Also, and this is rarely mentioned, we don't have a dependable kicker and that could turn out to be a continuing problem. Almost forgot that we don't have a dependable back-up quarterback, which could be deadly should TT go down.

Ingredients for a playoff spot, top ten defense, plus 10 in takeaways, top 3 rushing offense and Tyrod Taylor and Sammy Watkins play in all 16 games.

Tyrod throws for 3250 yards 24 TD's and 14 INT's, Sammy Watkins 1250 yards and 14 TD's.

It is possible, but not likely. I hope it happens.

It all hinges on Incognito. Glenn and Wood's game will suffer without reliability between them. McCoy will get bottled up. Karlos won't get as many big play TDs. Tyrod will have less time. Nothing can negatively affect our playoff chances more than losing Cog right now.

So the defense is supposed to get better by adding nobody and losing arguably our most physically talented player? Hmmmm. But hey we have 2 Ryan's and a Ed Reed!

Harder schedule, more tape on how to stop Tyrod, defense equally as bad. We will be lucky to be 7-9. I'd rather they go after Goff if they really think he's the next Aaron Rodgers rather than try and make it with a sub par QB who is going to want the big bucks after next season

Edited by kdiggz

I think people are forgetting how screwed we got on scheduling and untimely injuries:

A London game where we had to rely on EJ, our post bye opponent getting a mini-bye to mitigate the advantage, a three straight week road trip, our mini-bye coming up on the Patriots and then a short week road game in one of the loudest stadiums.

And that's not counting our starting QB, RB and WR all missing multiple games, Kyle and Aaron Williams out for much of the season, Woods playing hurt the whole season.

And then there's that we didn't know who our starting QB was going to be.

We are quite realistically looking at only 2 starters leaving in free agency, one of whom we desperately needed to upgrade anyway (Bradham). We are looking at one of the deepest defensive drafts in recent memory.

We've identified our starting QB and have continuity on our offense for the first time in years.

The Jets have a free agent starting QB. With the current market, Fitz is likely to command at least $15 M, which the Jets can't afford unless they make serious veteran cuts.

The Dolphins are a hot mess who have an even worse cap situation and severe holes to fix.

If I can't be optimistic in March, when will I ever?

There is NO reason to believe this team will be any different than all the previous sad versions. 7-9 to 9-7 is their limit. They always find ways to lose games they should win and they TURTLE huge in big games.

If I approach the season in this manner than I cannot be disappointed. Hopefully I can be pleasantly surprised.

The Jets have a free agent starting QB. With the current market, Fitz is likely to command at least $15 M, which the Jets can't afford unless they make serious veteran cuts.

The Dolphins are a hot mess who have an even worse cap situation and severe holes to fix.

If I can't be optimistic in March, when will I ever?

This post makes it sounds like 2nd is OK. This shouldn't be the goal but I guess it's OK if we make the playoffs. Nevertheless, the goal should be to win the division. And the jets are gonna get better not worse.

This team is about the hardest to gauge at this point. I'm gonna say yes, because I'm a fan, and honestly think they have the talent -- it's just whether some players can come back and Rex Ryan can remember how to coach a game or get the most out of his defense. I have some hope for the former as he has been top 10 most seasons in the past.

If Aaron Williams and Kyle Williams come back strong, the line is healthy (Henderson may be better than most people think). and Ryan does with the defense, what he's done with past defenses, instead of whatever the hell was going on last season, and Tyrod is for real, Watkins continues his arc towards beyond real, this could be a breakout season a la the Panthers this year. If everything goes wrong, we could well be talking about who to take with a top pick this time next year.

It has very little to do with the Bills players. The Bills play 3 of the hardest divisions in football (AFC East, AFC North, and NFC West). There are worse teams than the Bills that will play bad divisions and rack up easy wins to earn the wildcard slots.

The only way they make the playoffs is if they beat New England twice and take the AFC East crown.