What will get you excited for next season?

Virgil

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Boomer Esiason on the radio this morning say that Bill Belichick would be there best option for the Giants head coaching job (he didn't hear anything, he just threw it out there as an opinion). Now if that ever happened that would be the most exciting thing to happen to the Bills in a very long time.

He'd be the best coaching option for any team but I don't see Belichick having that kind of ego.

The Jills getting fair and equal pay

CBF

You must be excited already since that's exactly what they're getting now.

He'd be the best coaching option for any team but I don't see Belichick having that kind of ego.

If Brady looks shaky this post season then I could see it being enticing getting off the Patriots train just at the right time (before Brady's play starts going south quickly) and ride Eli and ODB for a few years turning around the Giants team. There really is nothing left to prove in New England.

For me, a return to a Schwartz type defense that produces results like it did last year. That is all. I don't see it happening because Ryan is coach. If he didn't see the problem with this team by the middle of this season, he never will. It's up to him to adjust, not the players.

BTW, I think it's hilarious fans and other sports pundits think Mario Williams is the problem with the defense and should be released. If people think he sabotaged the pass rush, then Darius and Hughes need to be cut as well because neither produced any pressure on QB's whatsoever.

Mario made himself the lightning rod for disaffection with his open comments to reporters. But I do think it's promising that the Bills aren't being reactive with the scissors, instead saying they're going to review film before making any decisions.

If they want to get the fans excited - just put Russ Brandon back in charge of football operations! :w00t:

This place will go nutz!

When I saw this thread I was thinking about a different angle - what smoke and mirrors will Russ conjure to get fans excited about the team next year

If Brady looks shaky this post season then I could see it being enticing getting off the Patriots train just at the right time (before Brady's play starts going south quickly) and ride Eli and ODB for a few years turning around the Giants team. There really is nothing left to prove in New England.

But that's what I mean -- I don't think he's a guy who does it to prove anything. I think he just enjoys being immersed in the details of the job and he's happy and comfortable doing so in NE. He's kind of the anti-Nick Saban; BB isn't going to get bored by winning too many Super Bowls and he's not going to be more or less interested the following year based on his record the previous year.

I could be wrong, but I'd be very surprised if he ever coached anywhere other than NE again.

Everyone who is saying bring in Pettine as DC doesn't understand either man. Rex is far too much of an egomaniac to let someone else run the defense, and Pettine is not about to become a puppet with Rex's arm up his ass far enough to make him speak.

Also, Rex keeping his mouth shut? Really? :)

I can't think of a realistic offseason move that would get me excited for next season. If Rex can manage to keep his head out of his ass, and the team manages to get and stay healthy, the team should be better overall. But then again the schedule is harder next season. At this point I expect another mediocre season, and if the stars align right the Bills could back into the playoffs. But excited, hardly.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Just getting everyone back healthy works for me.

A full recovery by Easley might be a stretch

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5843/marcus-easley

Ya, injuries cost us the playoffs.

NOT!!

Already excited about the offense with another year in the system and working together for our quadruplets -

TT

Sammy

Clay

Shady McCoy

On defense, excited for our shutdown corners and what I think will be some studs added in the draft, and again another year in the system to gel.

The offense could and hopefully will be exciting.

Not until they demonstrate the requisite knowledge of how to keep their ********* clean.

LMFAO!

Anybody who knows me knows that no matter what happens I'll be excited next September. It's called being a fan. There are a LOT of positives around this team, and I really can't believe how much folks have discounted the two straight non-losing seasons. Next year really is the time to take the jump -- not step -- forward, with a team that is familiar with the coaching staff's systems and philosophy. And there are promising signs we have a QB!

I'll leave the worrying and naysaying to others.

Until the year they get a QB capable of winning playoff games, I don't get "hyped". We've been down this road too many times.

And how do you know that Tyrod is not capable of winning playoff games? I believe he is perfectly capable if the team around him performs the way they should. The problem this year was the defense, not the offense, so how is a different QB going to help the defense perform better?

Anybody who knows me knows that no matter what happens I'll be excited next September. It's called being a fan.

I will be very excited too - and by then I might even be optimistic.... knowing me that is very likely.... I am a glass half full type.... but at this moment in time I'm pessimistic about next year. That won't stop me being excited though.

I do think 2 non-losing seasons back to back matters. We have to start getting players in here who are not just used to losing seasons. When you get used to them you start to expect them and it all becomes self-fulfilling prophecy and when things go against you the "here we go again" mentality sets in. It is human nature. It can even happen to players who have been winners in every other programme they have been part of. You lose so consistently you get stuck in a loser mentality. Getting our younger guys - the Watkins, Darby, Gilmore, Dareus, Tyrod, Karlos, Glenn of this world - away from that loser mentality by making sure that your bad seasons are 8-8 gives you a better shot at taking full advantage when things do fall your way.

I will not be excited about next year until the team starts to perform consistently. They year's team, just like every other team in the past few years was wildly inconsistent. Nothing they can do in the off season is going to get me excited or raise my expectations until I see the results on the field.

Well, we know who our GM, HC, and QB is. The hype of the Rex Show has worn off. This season was a disappointment. Now, on to the next season! What would you need to see to feel optimistic and hyped for the season opener?

• Hire a legit defensive coordinator and let him do the job. I'm not saying Pettine, but that would be fantastic. Either way, someone that Rex can work with, but let him do his job on gameday. Let Rex be the HC. If Pettine is an option, then throw the money his way and make it happen. I would immediately be excited about our defense if this happened.
  • Offer Mario a re-structure. If he walks, at least say we tried. Mario has been a productive part of this team and the defensive turnaround started when he signed. He had a bad year during a time when many weren't buying in and everyone on the Defense took a step back. To single him out makes no sense to me. Yes, he was vocal but I'm okay with that. He's a force in the right system and we need to admit this year sucked. Get past it and try to make it work. Again, if he's not in, then let him go.
  • Re-sign Incognito and Glenn.
  • Additions, either through the Draft or FA - 2nd WR, ILB, RT. If we can solidify those positions, while finding some depth at G, S, and whatever spots Rex needs for the D.
  • Rex staying humble this offseason. I feel like NYC was a circus. When he lost there, it was easy to blow off the criticism. I honestly feel like Rex got taken down a peg here these past few weeks. This city embraced him in ways I think surprised him. Yes, we are crazy and irrational as well, but we are also one huge family. Losing here and seeing the reaction from the city had a different affect on him. Way moreso than I ever saw in NYC. I'm really hope this put him in his place and he can focus more on his job than the hype machine.
That's pretty much it

1) Agreed and I AM saying Pettine.

2) Not sure I would do that but it's probably a moot point. Whaley already spent that money.

3) Incog and Glenn? It would be nice but I still believe that Glenn will cost 12 mil. per season.

4) The positions you list (2 WR, ILB, and RT) are traditionally not that hard to find. This is hardly the case with the Bills, especially at RT (and guard for that matter). Imo, we could fill these spots with a good draft and yes, I agree these are huge needs. And if you think that ILB is the biggest need, do watch some you tube clips of Reggie Ragland.

5) Until he proves otherwise, Rex is just another clown. He needs to get rid of this dumb defense, learn how to manage the clock, and stop making it all about him. It would seem to be a daunting task but who knows?

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, we know who our GM, HC, and QB is. The hype of the Rex Show has worn off. This season was a disappointment. Now, on to the next season! What would you need to see to feel optimistic and hyped for the season opener?

1. Hire a legit defensive coordinator and let him do the job. I'm not saying Pettine, but that would be fantastic. Either way, someone that Rex can work with, but let him do his job on gameday. Let Rex be the HC. If Pettine is an option, then throw the money his way and make it happen. I would immediately be excited about our defense if this happened.
  2. Offer Mario a re-structure. If he walks, at least say we tried. Mario has been a productive part of this team and the defensive turnaround started when he signed. He had a bad year during a time when many weren't buying in and everyone on the Defense took a step back. To single him out makes no sense to me. Yes, he was vocal but I'm okay with that. He's a force in the right system and we need to admit this year sucked. Get past it and try to make it work. Again, if he's not in, then let him go.
  3. Re-sign Incognito and Glenn.
  4. Additions, either through the Draft or FA - 2nd WR, ILB, RT. If we can solidify those positions, while finding some depth at G, S, and whatever spots Rex needs for the D.
  5. Rex staying humble this offseason. I feel like NYC was a circus. When he lost there, it was easy to blow off the criticism. I honestly feel like Rex got taken down a peg here these past few weeks. This city embraced him in ways I think surprised him. Yes, we are crazy and irrational as well, but we are also one huge family. Losing here and seeing the reaction from the city had a different affect on him. Way moreso than I ever saw in NYC. I'm really hope this put him in his place and he can focus more on his job than the hype machine.

That's pretty much i

The only issues I have with your five items are:

#2 I think its time for Mario to go. He doesn't like to play in the style of defense and he has regularly showed how lazy he his at times.

#3 Glenn is going to be a big hit to the cap, I wouldn't be to upset if they judged his contract as too much money to commit to on of 5 positions on the OL.

#5 My disappointment with Ryan has less to do with his bravado than his toughness. Allowing Jerry Hughes to make an ass out of himself each week and hurt the team and not holding players accountable will continue to be a problem if he doesn't kick a little ass once in a while. He wants to be liked by everyone. He needs to channel a little more Bill Parcells or even his father. Toughen up Rex its okay if the players don't always like you.

Get the Jills back. For 16 dreadful years they have been the only thing on the field worth looking at.

On a more positive note there are fewer questions heading into next season as compared to many of those 16 years. TT and Sammy are figuring each other out. Run game is strong. Rex will fix the D.

1. Hire a legit defensive coordinator and let him do the job. I'm not saying Pettine, but that would be fantastic. Either way, someone that Rex can work with, but let him do his job on gameday. Let Rex be the HC. If Pettine is an option, then throw the money his way and make it happen. I would immediately be excited about our defense if this happened.
  2. Offer Mario a re-structure. If he walks, at least say we tried. Mario has been a productive part of this team and the defensive turnaround started when he signed. He had a bad year during a time when many weren't buying in and everyone on the Defense took a step back. To single him out makes no sense to me. Yes, he was vocal but I'm okay with that. He's a force in the right system and we need to admit this year sucked. Get past it and try to make it work. Again, if he's not in, then let him go.
  3. Re-sign Incognito and Glenn.
  4. Additions, either through the Draft or FA - 2nd WR, ILB, RT. If we can solidify those positions, while finding some depth at G, S, and whatever spots Rex needs for the D.
  5. Rex staying humble this offseason. I feel like NYC was a circus. When he lost there, it was easy to blow off the criticism. I honestly feel like Rex got taken down a peg here these past few weeks. This city embraced him in ways I think surprised him. Yes, we are crazy and irrational as well, but we are also one huge family. Losing here and seeing the reaction from the city had a different affect on him. Way moreso than I ever saw in NYC. I'm really hope this put him in his place and he can focus more on his job than the hype machine.

That's pretty much it

I am already excited for next year. We have a very very competitive team now. If we were healthy, I wish we had 3 or 4 more games this season. They are all on the same page now....We would win them all. Forget Mario, we need the cash for your # 3.

Rex is going to be Rex for the most part. Suck it up fans, he may change a bit, but the Ryans are loose cannons as a group. After years of Jauron and cry baby Mularky and pirate Williams and down home Chan, we got us a star.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

Nothing will get me excited for next year. I'm so burnt out on next year...

The only thing that can excite me is dominate football played all the way from Sept thru January.. and I'll let you know if I';m excited mid January

The draft. This team will fill its core holes in the draft.

I agree that the team will fill most holes through the draft, but I still get excited at free agency. Seeing what the Bills and every other team does gets the wheels turning.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

I'm already excited for a few reasons:

1) We won't have a "QB rotation" in mini-camps and training camps this year, which will allow Tyrod all the reps with the "1s" and help him develop better chemistry with those players to start the year. Not to mention he probably will b working in the offseason with some of the guys as well. Along with him improving, developing, and learning from his first 14 games as a starter, I would imagine he takes a pretty good size step forward in terms of what he can do, and the offense along with it, which bodes well considering we finished respectable this season on offense.

2) There is almost no way possible we have as many key injuries throughout the season as we did this year. I am not sure if we even had the entire starting lineup on the field for one game this entire year. The injuries were constant and just almost to the point of being unbelievable. This after we had virtually no injuries the year before. Expect regression to the mean here.

3) The defense almost assuredly will get better. Ryan has never fielded a defense outside the top 11 until this year. We have way too much talent on that side of the ball for us to be 19th again. Look for us to be in 8-12 range next year. With the improvement in offense, we should be a fairly formidable team to play. Again regression to the mean at play with Ryan having an entire offseason to figure things out and potentially get rid of a few guys who don't want to "buy in"(aka Mario). Will his loss hurt? Obviously he is a supremely talented player, but one that seems to be more interested in his individual performances than in the teams success. So in some ways it might, but in other ways it might actally help as silly as that may sound and will push the negativity away from the team which may have been a factor in more guys having a similar attitude(ie, "why should I buy in when the highest paid guy on the team doesn't"?)

Edited by matter2003

I am already excited for next year. We have a very very competitive team now. If we were healthy, I wish we had 3 or 4 more games this season. They are all on the same page now....We would win them all. Forget Mario, we need the cash for your # 3.

Rex is going to be Rex for the most part. Suck it up fans, he may change a bit, but the Ryans are loose cannons as a group. After years of Jauron and cry baby Mularky and pirate Williams and down home Chan, we got us a star.

JMJ pray for us.

The only issues I have with your five items are:

#2 I think its time for Mario to go. He doesn't like to play in the style of defense and he has regularly showed how lazy he his at times.

#3 Glenn is going to be a big hit to the cap, I wouldn't be to upset if they judged his contract as too much money to commit to on of 5 positions on the OL.

#5 My disappointment with Ryan has less to do with his bravado than his toughness. Allowing Jerry Hughes to make an ass out of himself each week and hurt the team and not holding players accountable will continue to be a problem if he doesn't kick a little ass once in a while. He wants to be liked by everyone. He needs to channel a little more Bill Parcells or even his father. Toughen up Rex its okay if the players don't always like you.

Rex being better is a combination of #1 and #5. If he has a DC that can run that show and allow him to be just the HC, that's a big difference to me. Then, with #5, being a coach that doesn't motivate his opposing teams, I hope him to be better.

I'm not saying Rex is the answer. His past 5 years would lead me to believe that he's not. But we are stuck with him this year so I'm asking what would be the best of a bad situation.