Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't comment on actual football stuff often (because I am ignorant compared to so many of you here), but the four QBs you named are terrible and don't have the number of receiver options that T-rod has. I want Sammy to get the ball, and his time is coming, but I don't want Taylor focusing on any given receiver. Spreading the ball around is a better approach IMO, and it has worked fairly well thusfar.

I'll now bow out of football analysis, after I say this: love you bro, but shut up and play Sammy.

Giving your star receiver 0 targets when he is open is not "spreading the ball around," is it?

So is it the bad quarterbacking? The bad game planning? Or is it Sammy? Let's look at what Sammy can control: yards after a catch (YAC). Last year: 5.4 YAC per reception. Meh. OBJ was 5.7. Demaryius Thomas 6.1. Golden Tate 7.3. DeSean Jackson 8.6 if you need a "played with bad QBs" comps.

OK, so you say that's not fair. Apples to oranges, etc. EJ and Orton couldn't hit Sammy in stride like Eli hits OBJ in stride, or RG3 hit DeSean in stride (huh?). So let's look at YAC for Bills WRs only. That's fair, right? I mean, all our WRs had the same crappy EJ and Orton throws coming at them and the same Nate Hackett plays called. YAC per catch, 2014:

Sammy 5.4

Hogan 4.8

Chandler 4.2

Woods 3.3

So Sammy was just a tick more slippery than ... Chris Hogan. Well there's a ringing endorsement of his "just get me the damn ball" theory ....

Seems like an odd stat to get hyperfocused on.

Well, I don't comment on actual football stuff often (because I am ignorant compared to so many of you here), but the four QBs you named are terrible and don't have the number of receiver options that T-rod has. I want Sammy to get the ball, and his time is coming, but I don't want Taylor focusing on any given receiver. Spreading the ball around is a better approach IMO, and it has worked fairly well thusfar.

I'll now bow out of football analysis, after I say this: love you bro, but shut up and play Sammy.

that is certainly valid (TT has more options than those other QBs). But the whole point is Sammy is still the Best option. And I meant that it isn't an excuse to just blame the QB situation and throw up your hands that there is no one to throw him the ball. Those other guys aren't great either and they manage to keep targeting the best option more than the others.

I just thought it interesting that a reporter is retweeting shots at Sammy after Sammy took shots at another reporter.

Okay.

Watkins says he is open 90% of the time. I tend to believe him. To me, that's on the QB (usually).

But it's always been unclear to

Me why the coaches don't use him more in the screen game. In that college Bcs game against OSU, he must have had 200 yds receiving on screens.

so.

we all know Marone was a weirdo.

Now we have a group trying to find their footing. Sammy has been out and injured and is now getting a bit overwound.

Run him till pukes.

If I was Roman i would give him every trick play in my bag sunday. and then run him up the gut.

shut up Sammy. We ALL know you should be getting the ball.

Be like Robert and just do your job, before someone cleans your clock

McCoy has got up in his head methinks

Oh wow - Sammy not happy with mr. Dunne

@sammywatkins: @TyDunne Wish you could have added the part we have so many playmakers and me not caring about numbers I care about winning.. Grow up.. Sir.

Wow! So Sammy trusted a reporter, opened up and didn't watch his words with great care, and got "spun". Has Dunne responded?

It's not subjective when they watch the film.

because lotsa guys are open!!!

Thats not the issue. goes back to QB progression, hot reads and trust for TT. he loves Clay and that check to Lesean.

Its the QB play not the playcalling.

But he is right in his arrogant way. Get that ball out to the playmakers!

Edited by 3rdand12

so.

we all know Marone was a weirdo.

Now we have a group trying to find their footing. Sammy has been out and injured and is now getting a bit overwound.

Run him till pukes.

If I was Roman i would give him every trick play in my bag sunday. and then run him up the gut.

shut up Sammy. We ALL know you should be getting the ball.

Be like Robert and just do your job, before someone cleans your clock

McCoy has got up in his head methinks

Oh boy. Now McCoy is involved.

Next thing you know, Sammy is throwing a sexy party.

Wow! So Sammy trusted a reporter, opened up and didn't watch his words with great care, and got "spun". Has Dunne responded?

yes. He said he included a few lines about his comments being team-centric.

@TyDunne: @sammywatkins Believe that was written. From the story: The difference here is that Watkins vows his call for the ball is team-centric.

The theory is that Sammy either only saw the quotes tweeted out by Dunne to tease the story OR only read Rodak's version which completely left out anything team/winning focused.

It is also possible that Dunne did indeed leave out other quotes, but we don't know.

Edited by YoloinOhio

So is it the bad quarterbacking? The bad game planning? Or is it Sammy? Let's look at what Sammy can control: yards after a catch (YAC). Last year: 5.4 YAC per reception. Meh. OBJ was 5.7. Demaryius Thomas 6.1. Golden Tate 7.3. DeSean Jackson 8.6 if you need a "played with bad QBs" comps.

OK, so you say that's not fair. Apples to oranges, etc. EJ and Orton couldn't hit Sammy in stride like Eli hits OBJ in stride, or RG3 hit DeSean in stride (huh?). So let's look at YAC for Bills WRs only. That's fair, right? I mean, all our WRs had the same crappy EJ and Orton throws coming at them and the same Nate Hackett plays called. YAC per catch, 2014:

Sammy 5.4

Hogan 4.8

Chandler 4.2

Woods 3.3

So Sammy was just a tick more slippery than ... Chris Hogan. Well there's a ringing endorsement of his "just get me the damn ball" theory ....

As last season wore on I turned on the trade that brought him here, and he has a fair amount of proving to do to justify it. But seriously saying he's only a marginally better talent than Hogan is absurd. If that's what your interpretation of some stats tell you, get more stats and/or a better way to analyze them Edited by JTSP

Giving your star receiver 0 targets when he is open is not "spreading the ball around," is it?

Not arguing, just curious, for the year, what is the average number of targets per game of our top four receivers?

Not counting games when the receiver is not in the game, obviously.

Edited by SAMMY HANDWICH

yes. He said he included a few lines about his comments being team-centric.

The theory is that Sammy either only saw the quotes tweeted out by Dunne to tease the story OR only read Rodak's version which completely left out anything team/winning focused.

It is also possible that Dunne did indeed leave out other quotes, but we don't know.

Or maybe he pulled a Goodell and tried to do something after the response was iffy. It would seem he either wasn't happy with the final cut or he wasn't happy with the way the highlights were spun. Either way I bet he thinks twice before going to reporters for this stuff, especially Dunne specifically.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/15/sammy-watkins-speaks-up-when-i-get-one-on-one-just-target-me/

Quote:

“Everybody looks at you getting zero catches, zero yards but when you look on film 90 percent of the time you’re open,” Watkins said. “I understand that these guys are young and they need some time to trust me. Once we get that trust, it’ll be different. But for me, I need the ball at least 10 times — I need 10 targets — and I’ll be fine with however many yards I get. And that’s what I addressed in talking with my agent. We reached out to a couple people and tried to pull some strings like, ‘Hey, I need my targets. You came up to draft me and I’m not getting targets — that’s a problem. You’re making me look bad and you’re making yourself look bad. Why not make both of us look good?’”

“You really just put it on film," Watkins said, "and go to the coach like, ‘Hey, I’m getting open. What’s the deal here?’ Don’t be an (expletive) about it, just go talk to him about the situation. I see the bigger picture. I enjoy spreading the ball around. It makes my job easier. But at the same time, for a guy you go up in the draft to take as your No. 1 receiver, you would love those 15 targets that Julio gets, those 20 targets that Odell gets. Of course I’d have 100 yards every game and a TD, if I’m getting 20 targets."

UPDATE: Sammy responds...

@sammywatkins: @TyDunne Wish you could have added the part we have so many playmakers and me not caring about numbers I care about winning.. Grow up.. Sir.

Sammy Watkins, our Sammy: this is why you need to keep some of these frustrations and inner workings "in the family". Because once you let your words loose outside the building, anyone who hears them can bend fold snip and rearrange and omit any way they want.

A few thoughts about this. He's right. He needs to shut up.

Why is this coming out of his mouth now when he hasnt been able to get on the field for a couple of weeks?

He needs to shut up. He's right.

"They know I want the ball," Reed said Thursday, renewing his campaign for a change in the Bills' offensive system. "It's just a matter of them trying to get it to me in certain situations. We can't nickel-and-dime all the time. We have to go downfield, too. They have to get me the ball more often; that's the bottom line."

Reed blames the Bills' quarterbacks coach, Jim Shofner, for his lower numbers. He says that Shofner is "conservative" and "afraid to try too many things.

"He's a new guy," said Reed, who turned 29 today. "The guy we had for three or four years, Ted Marchibroda, he liked to take more chances because he was more confident with the offense. Jim Shofner is not as confident, because he's new. He likes to stick to things he knows.

"There are a lot of things I see on film that we can do that we don't do and I don't understand it."

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/31/sports/super-bowl-xxvii-reed-s-left-out-feeling-a-sour-note-for-buffalo.html

Drops the mic....

Edited by Reed83HOF

"They know I want the ball," Reed said Thursday, renewing his campaign for a change in the Bills' offensive system. "It's just a matter of them trying to get it to me in certain situations. We can't nickel-and-dime all the time. We have to go downfield, too. They have to get me the ball more often; that's the bottom line."

Reed blames the Bills' quarterbacks coach, Jim Shofner, for his lower numbers. He says that Shofner is "conservative" and "afraid to try too many things.

"He's a new guy," said Reed, who turned 29 today. "The guy we had for three or four years, Ted Marchibroda, he liked to take more chances because he was more confident with the offense. Jim Shofner is not as confident, because he's new. He likes to stick to things he knows.

"There are a lot of things I see on film that we can do that we don't do and I don't understand it."

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/01/31/sports/super-bowl-xxvii-reed-s-left-out-feeling-a-sour-note-for-buffalo.html

Drops the mic....

Main difference -

Andre Reed - "The most prolific pass receiver in Bills history. He earned a fifth trip to the Pro Bowl. It isn't enough. He is used to even more."

Sammy Watkins - had a good rookie year

Drops the mic....

haha I thought of Reed too. Don't forget he coached Sammy in TC. Probably gave him a little advice.

Reed says that every time he went back to the huddle he told Jim "hey - I'm open." Because he knew even if he wasn't open, he was open. The Bills didn't trade up for Sammy just to throw to him when he "looks" open.

Not arguing, just curious, for the year, what is the average number of targets per game of our top four receivers?

Not counting games when the receiver is not in the game, obviously.

Here's a link to your query

1) Clay: 32 Targets, 5 games (6.4 per Game)

2) Harvin: 30 Targets, 5 Games (6 per Game)

3) Woods: 17 Targets, 5 Games (3.4 per Game)

4) Hogan: 13 Targets, 5 Games (2.6 per Game)

5) Watkins: 13 Targets, 3 Games (4.3 per Game)

6) McCoy: 11 Targets, 3 Games (3.7 per Game)

7) Karlos: 7 Targets, 4 Games (1.75 per Game)

Interestingly, Watkins also has the lowest Catch % of any of our players with 5 or more targets per those stats, but he also has the highest yards per catch of the same group.

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

Main difference -

Andre Reed - "The most prolific pass receiver in Bills history. He earned a fifth trip to the Pro Bowl. It isn't enough. He is used to even more."

Sammy Watkins - had a good rookie year

Point is all WRs want the ball and when they aren't getting they aren't happy...Sammy is no different than any other WR; they all say I'm open throw me the ball...

On a side note when you trade up to pick#4 for a WR...You throw him the damn ball

haha I thought of Reed too. Don't forget he coached Sammy in TC. Probably gave him a little advice.

Reed says that every time he went back to the huddle he told Jim "hey - I'm open." Because he knew even if he wasn't open, he was open. The Bills didn't trade up for Sammy just to throw to him when he "looks" open.

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner! :beer:

Point is all WRs want the ball and when they aren't getting they aren't happy...Sammy is no different than any other WR; they all say I'm open throw me the ball...

On a side note when you trade up to pick#4 for a WR...You throw him the damn ball

Ding Ding Ding we have a winner! :beer:

Do they all say "you're making me look bad, I'm just as good as (insert way more productive WR's here)!"