Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

Things Brown didn't say:

you're making me look bad

you're making you look bad

that's a problem

He did say this "He has to take some shots, man," Brown said. "I told him, trust me a little bit, let me make some plays and lets get a victory." Which could be interpreted as saying if you're not trying to get me the ball you're not serious about winning. Basically they both delivered the same message: trust me and get me the ball. No two people will use the exact same wording, which in both cases is inconsequential to the overall message Edited by JTSP

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised we're not blaming Rex, yet.

This candidness is obviously a product of the Rex Effect.

Oh, you beat me to it!

I wouldn't be surprised if Rex is ok with him nudging the qbs to get him the ball. It's not like he's some bum- he's a game changer. It's very possible Rex is liking the fire.

He did say this "He has to take some shots, man," Brown said. "I told him, trust me a little bit, let me make some plays and lets get a victory." Which could be interpreted as saying if you're not trying to get me the ball you're not serious about winning. Basically they both delivered the same message: trust me and get me the ball. No two people will use the exact same wording, which in both cases is inconsequential to the overall message

That's if you're stretching it and inverting it.

Brown's comments are much more positive. He uses words with positive connotations. He makes it about the end team goal of winning, not about comparing himself to OBJ and Julio and individual stats. Antonio has a much better underlying message as, "trust in me to make plays and the tea will win more." Sammy's are about getting the ball more so he can get "100 yards and 2 TD's," and "getting those 15 targets like Julio and 20 like OBJ."

Edited by FireChan

Good for him. He said nothing wrong.

Agreed. I've criticized him for missing games and not being all-world when he plays (fair or not). I'm thrilled to see he feels the same. Working this out through his agent is a little questionable, but none of this bothers me. Sammy could turn into a malcontent for all I care...he would be justified. I say give this guy 15 touches, 10 isn't even enough! lol

I'm surprised how many people think it's ok to go to the media and throw your QB and coaching staff under the bus to make yourself look better.

His numbers don't stack up well against other receivers drafted in his class and he is blaming the QB for not targeting him (because he's "young"- lol, like Sammy's a proven vet or something) and the coaching staff for apparently not doing a better job game planning. It's not his fault that he looks bad, it's his team mates and coaches. That's awesome.

Again John, honesty doesn't make it okay.

There's a right way and a wrong way to express this sentiment. Compare Brown's quotes to Sammy's. Also note that Brown is an actual productive veteran, not an up and comer.

We as fans can complain about this all we want......Shady voiced his opinion earlier and nobody was happy about it....but that is the way the team is being handled now.

I'm surprised how many people think it's ok to go to the media and throw your QB and coaching staff under the bus to make yourself look better.

His numbers don't stack up well against other receivers drafted in his class and he is blaming the QB for not targeting him (because he's "young"- lol, like Sammy's a proven vet or something) and the coaching staff for apparently not doing a better job game planning. It's not his fault that he looks bad, it's his team mates and coaches. That's awesome.

Great players want the ball. And if he's looking at tape seeing himself open ... this is professional football. Everyone wants to get him the ball...he doesn't have to say this to make other people look bad the situation makes them look bad.

Brown's comments are much more positive. He uses words with positive connotations. He makes it about the end team goal of winning, not about comparing himself to OBJ and Julio.

Imo you're twisting what Watkins is saying, which is essentially the same thing as brown. Again the exact wording is inconsequential

I wouldn't be surprised if Rex is ok with him nudging the qbs to get him the ball. It's not like he's some bum- he's a game changer. It's very possible Rex is liking the fire.

@TyDunne: Rex Ryan is in Watkins' corner: "If Im choosing and everythings equal Im throwing it to Sammy.

Imo you're twisting what Watkins is saying, which is essentially the same thing as brown. Again the exact wording is inconsequential

It's not when you know the media is looking for headlines. And when teammates are reading it.

Watkins' comments are inherently more negative. I don't see how anyone can argue the contrary.

Edited by FireChan

Brown's comments are much more positive. He uses words with positive connotations. He makes it about the end team goal of winning, not about comparing himself to OBJ and Julio.

That's hypocritical. We all compare him to OBJ and Julio.

Plus, Brown gets the targets. He's talking to his backup QB.

It's really not the same situation when you look at it like that. If Sammy saw 15 targets a game from Tyrod and then got none from EJ, would we care if he said something to EJ?

A better decoy than Lee Evans and a better run blocker than Josh Reed. :rolleyes:

There is no doubt he is a better player

but that is not the point

Evans was a late round ONE 1st round draft pick

Reed was a 2nd rounder?

We gave up (and I am not sorry we did it....I OPENLY applaud our GM's guts in making this trade) 1 first round pick to draft him which cost us another 1st and 3rd round picks......we were trading for Top 5 in the NFL wide receiver type talent.

Yes Sammy has had some injuries.....but we HAVE been using him to draw double coverage off other receivers. Sammy is our number 1 and we should be using him like our number 1.

It's not when you know the media is looking for headlines. And when teammates are reading it.

Watkins' comments are inherently more negative. I don't see how anyone can argue the contrary.

Who cares about the media, say what you gotta say. Messages are the same: get me the ball, get the results

Is he or isnt he being targeted with the ball in games.....this is a simple yes or no

@TyDunne: Rex Ryan is in Watkins' corner: "If Im choosing and everythings equal Im throwing it to Sammy.

Not shocking. He's a special talent. Guys like clay and woods and even karlos are really good, hogan can be productive...

Sammy has the tools to be ELITE. McCoy and harvin do too. The ball needs to be in their hands A LOT. Even though the defense is trying to take them away you feed them

Sure it's good to take the easy conversions the defense gives you but we finally have some guys that can dictate to the opposition no matter who we are facing.

That's hypocritical. We all compare him to OBJ and Julio.

Plus, Brown gets the targets. He's talking to his backup QB.

It's really not the same situation when you look at it like that. If Sammy saw 15 targets a game from Tyrod and then got none from EJ, would we care if he said something to EJ?

I realize the situations aren't exactly the same. I just think, when you're a big-time athlete, how you come across and choosing your words carefully is very important. Especially with media-types. References to your agent, using words with negative connotations, providing sound bytes of "it's making me look bad," are all things that can and will be percieved negatively. That's a fact of life.

I also don't care if Sammy catches another ball and OBJ wins every WR award ever if we win a SuperBowl. He made his argument too much about himself.

Who cares about the media, say what you gotta say. Messages are the same: get me the ball, get the results

Yeah, no. Everyone cares about the media.