Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

Hate the Cheatriots and Belichek but would Sammy ever be able to say something like that to a reporter in New England and get away with it in that clubhouse? Football is a team game and winners don't go to the media with stuff like this.

With the Patriots, Sammy would be cruising with 1400 yards, so he wouldn't have need to comment.

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well put. I see nothing wrong with what he said. But regardless of whether it was his fault or not, part of his problem has been him being hurt. One of the reasons they didn't throw as many bubble screens to him last year (more targets) was because of his rib injury in the first half of the season. I don't have a problem with what he said at all but he probably shouldn't have said it right now when he hasn't been on the field for two weeks.

Right. So what caused it now? Simply, the right question from the media? His agent is pushing him to say something? They're going through the game plan this week and he's actually not a big part of it?

The issue isn't that he wants the ball, per se. He should, so good on him. He's working with sub-par QBs, that's clearly an issue.

The angle and approach is all wrong because he a) wasn't man enough to keep it between him and the coaches like a pro, he went with his agent to "pull some strings" which speaks to a lack of maturity and entitlement and b) it's clearly angling for money, period. Nowhere in that rant did he talk about how those receptions, in his mind, equate to winning or the success of the football team. The agent approach is like having your mommy call your boss on your behalf. Pathetic actually. If I were the GM or coach, I'd hang up on the agent. How is it his place to attempt to dictate how the team uses its players?

He's not wrong.

I say it's 25% young qb, 75% scheme. Roman doesn't utilize WR's the right way. Sammy has proven he can be that guy if you put it near him. Roman needs to utilize this kid. He's special.

Usually I don't like stuff like this, but he's right saying what needs to be said.

Well put. I see nothing wrong with what he said. But regardless of whether it was his fault or not, part of his problem has been him being hurt. One of the reasons they didn't throw as many bubble screens to him last year (more targets) was because of his rib injury in the first half of the season. I don't have a problem with what he said at all but he probably shouldn't have said it right now when he hasn't been on the field for two weeks.

That's my issue, the timing. Get on the field and then you can complain about targets. Fair or not, this dude has been nicked up from day 1.

Hes right. 100% trade up lose a 1st rd pick. For a decoy? We call this man ineffective, we call this man barely cutting it. He is basically demanding what we all want. GET THIS MAN THE BALL. With his skill set he should be ATLEAST a 1300 yd double digit wr. If he gets broken who cares... throw him on the scrap heap and get another one. You dont draft a skill player that high to EVER get zipped in a game. Thats ridiculous

The issue isn't that he wants the ball, per se. He should, so good on him. He's working with sub-par QBs, that's clearly an issue.

The angle and approach is all wrong because he a) wasn't man enough to keep it between him and the coaches like a pro, he went with his agent to "pull some strings" which speaks to a lack of maturity and entitlement and b) it's clearly angling for money, period. Nowhere in that rant did he talk about how those receptions, in his mind, equate to winning or the success of the football team. The agent approach is like having your mommy call your boss on your behalf. Pathetic actually. If I were the GM or coach, I'd hang up on the agent. How is it his place to attempt to dictate how the team uses its players?

That point was made, actually. He had no problem seeing 3 targets in the win against the Colts. He said as much.

He took issue with the 0 targets in the loss to the Pats. For Sammy, targeting him will contribute to wins. He said so this week, didn't he? I'm sure he's concerned about money, too, but he's also concerned with winning, going to playoffs, and being a champion.

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/15/sammy-watkins-speaks-up-when-i-get-one-on-one-just-target-me/

Quote:

“Everybody looks at you getting zero catches, zero yards but when you look on film 90 percent of the time you’re open,” Watkins said. “I understand that these guys are young and they need some time to trust me. Once we get that trust, it’ll be different. But for me, I need the ball at least 10 times — I need 10 targets — and I’ll be fine with however many yards I get. And that’s what I addressed in talking with my agent. We reached out to a couple people and tried to pull some strings like, ‘Hey, I need my targets. You came up to draft me and I’m not getting targets — that’s a problem. You’re making me look bad and you’re making yourself look bad. Why not make both of us look good?’”

“You really just put it on film," Watkins said, "and go to the coach like, ‘Hey, I’m getting open. What’s the deal here?’ Don’t be an (expletive) about it, just go talk to him about the situation. I see the bigger picture. I enjoy spreading the ball around. It makes my job easier. But at the same time, for a guy you go up in the draft to take as your No. 1 receiver, you would love those 15 targets that Julio gets, those 20 targets that Odell gets. Of course I’d have 100 yards every game and a TD, if I’m getting 20 targets."

Not a good look.

Maybe if he could stay on the field he would get some targets. Every time someone breathes on him he gets injured. Play a few games without getting hurt before you start complaining about targets.

Where's the Like button?

RIGHT?

The truth hurts sometimes. I have mixed feelings about him putting this out there like this, but he is ultimately right. We need to do more to get him going in the offense. He needs to get healthy and play though, too.