Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just because what he said is accurate, doesn't make it wise to share it with the media.

It's like one of the players saying, "Well, Tyrod really sucked for the majority of the game, but he did get us back in it with his legs. Thank God we didn't need to rely on accurate passing," after last week's game. I'm sure many thought it; but it's not right to say it into a microphone.

Now there's a straw man argument if I ever heard one. How is what he said even in the same universe as the example you gave?

Wrong. While Sammy may have missed a catch here or there, he has generally been nothing short of first round quality. He saved our butts in multiple games last year. It's not fair to him if he's not getting targets because we're handing the ball off to Boobie Dixon 10 times.

Look it up, statistically, he is currently the 6th best WR from last year's draft class.

He needs to produce before running his mouth.

Idk if targeting him more would be a net-positive for the team. But OTOH I have no problem with him saying he wants it more

I think it would.

Kaep had plenty of success with Boldin as Greg Roman called the plays in SF.

I don't get why Sammy and the QBs don't have that same connection. Although, I haven't looked at how long it took for the Kaep/Boldin combo to start producing.

Just give him the damn ball.

But, now that he's said it to the media, it'll look bad on the coaches. They don't like that.

Mutiny!

#rogueSammy

I don't think there's any question that Sammy Watkins Jr would far surpass OBJ if he got the ball as many times as OBJ. The Bills simply don't game plan for Sammy. When Sammy has a game with no catches, we complain, the haterz say "Do you want to force the ball to a covered receiver", and then the all 22 comes out and he was open like a MOFO all game! We need to get Sammy the rock early and often, like a Chicago election.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

I think it would.

Kaep had plenty of success with Boldin as Greg Roman called the plays in SF.

I don't get why Sammy and the QBs don't have that same connection. Although, I haven't looked at how long it took for the Kaep/Boldin combo to start producing.

But, now that he's said it to the media, it'll look bad on the coaches. They don't like that.

Mutiny!

#rogueSammy

It looks just as bad for TT honestly.

It looks just as bad for TT honestly.

I guess so.

Watkins is taking issue with the game plan, though.

Who are they?

Beckham ...yes

Evans ... Worth considering

Benjamin...pre-acl yes, post probably not

Who are the other 3?

Jordan Matthews?

Jarvis Landry?

just guessing

The same thing applies to Robert Woods. These guys are painfully underutilized as has been Bills receivers for years.

If you don't have a qb to deliver NFL worthy throws consistently, you're screwed, and will continue to squander the above average talent you've accumulated.

This is why the trade up for Watkins and the McCoy trade were stupid. With a good qb the skill guys are mostly interchangeable.

I know we'll hear the same barking from the 'you need elite skill guys', but surrounding unproven or mediocre talent at qb with top notch skill guys does not increase your odds of contending success.

You're better off sinking all your cash into lineman who can actually block to give anonymous rbs 4 yards a carry, and mediocre or unproven qbs the extra time they need to process the field to their limited ability.

I advocate trading Sammy for maximum return now, rather than let him waste away.

Those who love that Watkins is primarily a decoy who pulls coverage away from others are like douches who buy Lamborghini's to tool around 35mph zones.

This is what I've been wanting to hear from a while now. If he doesn't speak up, nothing is going to get done. I've been wondering if he's pissed off that OBJ is a superstar and he's considered a borderline bust.

He has every right to talk. He should ignore anybody who doesn't like it. Sometimes you got to be pushy to get things done.

Can't you just see the next Sully article, about Rex losing control of his team? Or maybe piling on Whaley for picking a kid with such obvious attitude problems? If I had to bet, it would Rex losing control but one or the other is highly likely.

Hilarious. The knuckleheads on this board complaining about Sammy's production vs say Odell Beckham , (who gets 10-12 targets per game ) will now blast Sammy for wanting the ball. Or they will criticize him for saying it publicly when they couldn't wait for Rex to crucify his team in front of the media for getting penalties . What a joke show! I don't think Sammy said anything wrong. Target this guy because he's your best receiver by a mile and he wants the ball. I'm sure he hears the nonsense about his supposed disappointing performance. He can only catch them if they are thrown his way.

Look it up, statistically, he is currently the 6th best WR from last year's draft class.

He needs to produce before running his mouth.

what more can Watkins do? the guy is wide open 95% of the time. Watkins has done everything he can do besides throw the ball to himself. he has consistently beaten the best CBs in the game but for whatever reason the qb wont throw him the ball.

I guess so.

Watkins is taking issue with the game plan, though.

Can't say you're wrong there. I don't watch the All-22 or have the film reviews that they do so it could be either way. One thing that has been pretty obvious is that TT prefers Harvin when passing over Sammy. Again, that could be due to the defensive schemes.

Edited by The Wiz