Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And all this time I thought Eugene Parker was done embarrassing Buffalo.

Then again trading up for WRs without a QB doesn't keep the former satisfied when the latter offerings can't read the whole field and go through all their progressions.

And where are the veterans on offense to tell Sammy to keep it in house? FJax would be that guy....

When you are a young player that a team used three draft picks on to obtain you should expect to be the highlight of the offense.

Last years OC stated they would use Sammy as a decoy, and I can understand that given their limited knowledge of running an NFL offense. But this year Sammy should be the highest priority target in the passing offense every game, and not used as a decoy. I don't blame the guy for voicing his opinion as he will never be great or get into the HoF as a decoy, and every player wants greatness.

Right now Sammy is a victim of no franchise QB just yet, and things could still change in the near future.

Still, Mr Watkins needs to get healthy, and start playing in games before he starts complaining about not getting the ball. I dunno, idle hands...

He may have already done it behind closed doors. He talked to the local media (Dunne) not the national media - Rodak ran his own story using the quotes he plucked from Dunne - but I guess it doesn't matter anyway since there isn't a difference anymore. The agent got involved too (very common with things like this as well as playing time). Like I said, confrontation often leads to change.

But change is scary

and we aren't used to players that deserve to be cornerstones.

Completely support Sammy saying what was said.

Was any of it incorrect? They traded up to get him, he was rated the top out of a loaded WR class but is used the least amount between OBJ, Evans, Benjamin and Cooks. He does have to stay healthy and on the field, but even when dinged up he makes plays when he gets the ball so why isn't he getting more looks? He is open pretty much every single time he runs a route, it's puzzling why he isn't fed more..

For those saying he has a bad attitude, he has been extremely quiet through 2 years of bad football. The guy is a great blocker and obviously has a drive to be the best.

Easy for you to say he should be quiet when you aren't the one losing MILLIONS on his next NFL contract because the team isn't using you right.

@sammywatkins: @TyDunne Wish you could have added the part we have so many playmakers and me not caring about numbers I care about winning.. Grow up.. Sir.

Love the Sammy tweet.

Where are you Wawrow? This is exactly how I felt about "The writing is on the wall".

I know it's not an easy job, neither is mine, but this type of reporting is discouraging.

I hate it.

That part was in the article. Sammy was wrong.

I (still) love Sammy.

I (still) hate the fact that we gave up a lot to move up to draft him (especially compared to what the Dolphins gave up the year before to move up more spots).

I (still) do not like Eugene Parker.

Edited by Peter

I have zero problems with any of his comments. None. First of all he was asked. And.....how awful....he was honest and 100 percent correct. The man got zero targets if I'm not mistaken in week 1...maybe 1 or 2....he didn't complain and he hasn't. I don't believe he was criticizing TT or the OC as much as it was venting.

It's weighing on the fans. It's weighing on the organization (it has to be especially Whaley), and most of all its gotta be weighing on Sammy. This was only a matter of time. He needs to be the focal point of whatever we do. What he said today is the truth. Stop with the "this can't be a good look" stuff.

He's got the pressure thanks to a hyper aggressive controversial trade to make him the #4 pick and first WR off the board in a draft that was loaded with WRs. He's on social media. He's not an idiot. He knows he's going to be compared to all those guys. Allen freaking Hurns is out producing him.

He should be getting 10 targets minimum a game. Evans got 18 a few weeks ago. OBJ is fed constantly.

I'm not even going to say he needs to be better. He's played 2 games plus 1 quarter. And in that 3rd game he was probably on his way to a monster afternoon.

Feed the man.

Edited by Big Blitz

Sammy needs to realize he's playing with the big boys in the NFL. Sammy isnt even the best WR from Clemson playing the league right now. The great one's flat out ball. Dinged, nicked, sprained they still rise to the occasion. Think Thomas, and Dez, Julio, Megatron, OBJ, Cobb, dont take a lot of shots on all those catches? I like the attitude by Sammy, now hes just got go out and do it. He needs that switch to come on like it did with Moulds. Until he puts up a great season,his potential will remain ahead of his production.

Edited by billsfan714

Sammy needs to realize he's playing with the big boys in the NFL. Sammy isnt even the best WR from Clemson playing the league right now. The great one's flat out ball. Dinged, nicked, sprained they still rise to the occasion. Think Thomas, and Dez, Julio, Megatron, OBJ, Cobb, dont take a lot of shots on all those catches? I like the attitude by Sammy, now hes just got go out and do it. He needs that switch to come on like it did with Moulds. Until he puts up a great season,his potential will remain ahead of his production.

Obj missed several games last year, Dez is out right now, Julio missed a season..... They all get dinged

Sammy missed 2 games....

So what would you recommend he do besides get open when he is on the field ?

This strikes me as a situation where he was unhappy, wasn't seeing improvement, and went to his agent to ask what to do. Agent recommends meeting with Bills brass and talking to the media. Same thing worked for Dareus and his contract.

Sounds like Watkins took his agent's advice and fell into the media trap. Now all of a sudden lots of people around the country think negatively about him. He should've been better prepped and had a better script. Sammy can't trust the media. This is his first lesson.

No problem for Sammy to be vocal about being a bigger part of the offense. Big time WRs always want the ball.

But of course then he needs to pull in a tough high ball from his QB when the team positively absolutely needs it.

Put up or shut up.

This strikes me as a situation where he was unhappy, wasn't seeing improvement, and went to his agent to ask what to do. Agent recommends meeting with Bills brass and talking to the media. Same thing worked for Dareus and his contract.

Sounds like Watkins took his agent's advice and fell into the media trap. Now all of a sudden lots of people around the country think negatively about him. He should've been better prepped and had a better script. Sammy can't trust the media. This is his first lesson.

Link ?

No problem for Sammy to be vocal about being a bigger part of the offense. Big time WRs always want the ball.

But of course then he needs to pull in a tough high ball from his QB when the team positively absolutely needs it.

Put up or shut up.

even if it is thrown past his high point and just barely hits his fingertips at full stretch ?

Obj missed several games last year, Dez is out right now, Julio missed a season..... They all get dinged

Sammy missed 2 games....

I hear ya......the difference with those guys is they have put up monster seasons.....Where Sammy has been a few flashes, disappears in games and ..hurt. If I'm the WR coach Im talking about DeAndre Hopkins daily to motivate Watkins. If there's any synergy with the organization, then Roman better find ways to utilize him regularly starting this Sunday.

Edited by billsfan714

Didn't have time to read 19 pages so apologize if my comments are redundant.

Here's the situation IMO:

- Sammy has a "calf" injury. Wasn't there in preseason nor for most of 3 of 5 games. So just that is STFU.

- He's a dep threat. Roman only does like 3 or 4 deep shots a game.

- Unless Tyrod is an idiot, not likely, they don't allow him to check to deep balls even with 8 or 9 in the box.

- Roman doesn't throw screens to slow down the rush when obvious

- Roman doesn't throw slants to slow down the rush when obvious

- Roman doesn't roll TT out to slow down the rush when obvious

The last three are shvt that even High School OC's know. I'm hoping that Roman is still building and adjusting his O to be a Super Bowl O because up till now the playcalling - especially in the first half - has been stubbornly predicatable. TT has made a couple bad throws and - if one assumes he has latitude - a few bad reads.

I still put it mostly on Roman for being conservative and saving the playbook for the second half and beyond.

The second one says they haven't seen TT's ability to make every throw, lead, run, compete to win, is the second people are thinking short term - not long.

All said, resting TT to get EJ some quality reps and confidence is smart. The Bills QB situation is still a strength not a weakness. But TT won the job for a reason and when we win the Super Bowl, he will be the man.

I know I am going to be judging him a lot differently when he doesn't even put his arm up in an attempt catch. I saw him do it on a couple go routes last year. Pulled up early too a couple times... Thing is almost everything he said is right on point but even in private (where he should have been talking) he shouldn't put it like that. Nobody wants to here that from a teammate