Watkins: "I need 10 targets... You're making me look bad."

johnwalter

That's the whole point. We had a clear consensus that it was a bad pass, but still catchable. So Sammy can't have it both ways. Either call for the ball and make all the tough catches. Or don't make the very tough catch, but then STFU about making the tough catches.

he has made plenty of tough catches and if you are instead judging him on that one at the end of the NE game ...I don't know what to tell you. It can be your opinion that it was catchable but obviously it is too borderline to say he can't make tough catches because he didn't catch THAT one. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh, if only i had time to read all 22 pages of this.

i think it's great that Sammy popped off. i want whoever is playing qb to feel pressure to get him the ball.

I want the coaches feeling pressure to get him the ball.

it is complete insanity and that teams can put 8 in the box and slow this offense to a crawl.

my only concern is can Sammy stay healthy enough to shoulder that kind of burden? that's far from proven...and that's putting it nicely.

he shouldn't make a habit of popping off, but i don't blame him for being frustrated. and in this case, it is warranted.

he has made plenty of tough catches and if you are instead judging him on that one at the end of the NE game ...I don't know what to tell you. It can be your opinion that it was catchable but obviously it is too borderline to say he can't make tough catches because he didn't catch THAT one.

I'm bringing up that specific play because it contradicts Sammy's rant. If he wants to stake the claim as one of the elite WRs, then he had to make that catch.

It's similar to the flak that Bruce caught when he declared that he was the best defensive player in the league. But then all Bruce did was go out on the field and proved it.

As others have said, it's the timing. You haven't played in a few weeks and you involved your agent? That screams immature. In his one big game in the NFL he got caught from behind celebrating too early. Later in that same game he celebrated again too early although he didn't get caught. Sammy needs to learn that he is a "professional " football player and keep things in house.

As others have said, it's the timing. You haven't played in a few weeks and you involved your agent? That screams immature. In his one big game in the NFL he got caught from behind celebrating too early. Later in that same game he celebrated again too early although he didn't get caught. Sammy needs to learn that he is a "professional " football player and keep things in house.

Um, his one big game in the NFL? So his major, difference-making performances against Miami, Detroit, and Minnesota, plus his 7-catch effort against Denver's excellent pass defense don't count as big games?

Also, he didn't celebrate too early on his long TD against the Jets...he slowed down because there was nobody within 25 yards of him.

I quite often wonder what people are watching....

Great trade by Whalley. This kid really pisses me off. How about you make a play for your QB instead of getting alligator arms. How about you don't throw you hands up and disrespect your QB when you're a rookie. How about try to play through your boo-boo and help your team.

How about you acknowledge that last year he played through broken ribs and torn hip cartilage (labrum) - is that enough of a "boo-boo" for you ?

i bet he's been keeping it "in house" for a long time already!

let me ask you, which mode of expression do you think is likely to be more effective?

I find the following that was omitted from the OP's post to provide a balance to the quotes that were posted. I wonder how many people actually read the article instead of just reacting to Sammy's posted quotes.

Wide receiver is the one position in sports a player has virtually no control — he only impacts a game if the ball is thrown his way. Thus, it often breeds egos, greed, Terrell Owens doing sit-ups in a parking lot. The difference here is that Watkins vows his call for the ball is team-centric.

He makes one very clear distinction. Ten targets a game, to him, directly boosts the offense as a whole. Defenses would stop loading the box with seven or eight defenders and maybe Percy Harvin gets free deep in single coverage. With all due respect to Indianapolis Colts cornerback Vontae Davis, Watkins says he was open throughout the game.

"I see the bigger picture. I enjoy spreading the ball around. It makes my job easier. But at the same time, for a guy you go up in the draft to take as your No. 1 receiver, you would love those 15 targets that Julio gets, those 20 targets that Odell gets. Of course I’d have 100 yards every game and a TD, if I’m getting 20 targets."

This thread is either popcorn worthy ...or a case study of who watches the Bills games and all-22, and other NFL games and ...who reads the enter article and who does not.

:lol: you beat me to it!

Very very difficult to catch a ball when your in the hot tub because of injury Sammy. Stay healthy, be quiet and, if your that good, you'll get your shot. This is a team game. Throw me the ball even if my teammate is open- Are you kidding me. I will chalk this one up to being young, but it's worth keeping an eye on his discontent.

I find the following that was omitted from the OP's post to provide a balance to the quotes that were posted. I wonder how many people actually read the article instead of just reacting to Sammy's posted quotes.

Wide receiver is the one position in sports a player has virtually no control he only impacts a game if the ball is thrown his way. Thus, it often breeds egos, greed, Terrell Owens doing sit-ups in a parking lot. The difference here is that Watkins vows his call for the ball is team-centric.

He makes one very clear distinction. Ten targets a game, to him, directly boosts the offense as a whole. Defenses would stop loading the box with seven or eight defenders and maybe Percy Harvin gets free deep in single coverage. With all due respect to Indianapolis Colts cornerback Vontae Davis, Watkins says he was open throughout the game.

"I see the bigger picture. I enjoy spreading the ball around. It makes my job easier. But at the same time, for a guy you go up in the draft to take as your No. 1 receiver, you would love those 15 targets that Julio gets, those 20 targets that Odell gets. Of course Id have 100 yards every game and a TD, if Im getting 20 targets."

i keep pointing to this but many seem to not want to bother reading the article because they have preconceived bias.

i keep pointing to this but many seem to not want to bother reading the article because they have preconceived bias.

To be realistic, it doesn't matter what he actually said, it matters what the media runs with, and what sort of distraction that has in house. Sammy is getting raked over the coals in the media right now, because he said something kinda dumb. Yes, it makes sense, yes he does need the ball more, but that's something you talk to the coaches about privately, not make complaints about in public, even if backed up with some nuance... because the media is going to run with the drama. He should know better.

To be realistic, it doesn't matter what he actually said, it matters what the media runs with, and what sort of distraction that has in house. Sammy is getting raked over the coals in the media right now, because he said something kinda dumb. Yes, it makes sense, yes he does need the ball more, but that's something you talk to the coaches about privately, not make complaints about in public, even if backed up with some nuance... because the media is going to run with the drama. He should know better.

do you think he cares what the media says though or if he's raked over the coals? I don't. That lasts 24 hours at most until the next fake outrage emerges from Twitter. This is about getting the offense to perform better and letting him do the job he's here to do.

and unless its causing those issues in house, might i ask again -- WHO CARES WHAT THE MEDIA SAYS?

do you think he cares what the media says though or if he's raked over the coals? I don't. That lasts 24 hours at most until the next fake outrage emerges from Twitter. This is about getting the offense to perform better and letting him do the job he's here to do.

yea - it seems that there are a lot of people convinced that the media wringing their hands is a big deal, and its impossible that it could actually even help the team.

Maybe, maybe not, but it adds to the whole of the team. If the team is having to spend time talking about it, or if it rubs other players the wrong way, etc, it's detrimental. He should be smarter than that. But this is a Rex team, so talking is to be expected, I guess.

And that's the key right there. Ain't nobody got time for nuance!