Brown over dixon

Still don't understand why Bryce brown got cut. It makes no sense whatsoever. Especially considering the fact that they know McCoy is going to get injured at some point during the season with how much times they plan to run a game. Going into the Giants this week I would feel way more better having karlos/brown then karlos/Dixon. Dixon is a horrendous back. This is just my personal opinion. Who would you guys rather have?

Actually, my third string RB (assuming Karlos beats him out is neither Bryce or Booby, its Fred Jax since we are talking pure fantasy here and just ranking them as players. Ol' Fred is hurt too much as an elder to think of him as a starter, but unless cap balancing he is my #2 or #3.

Still don't understand why Bryce brown got cut. It makes no sense whatsoever. Especially considering the fact that they know McCoy is going to get injured at some point during the season with how much times they plan to run a game. Going into the Giants this week I would feel way more better having karlos/brown then karlos/Dixon. Dixon is a horrendous back. This is just my personal opinion. Who would you guys rather have?

Fred

Tasker was a very good wide receiver.

When Tasker started getting regular reps at WR, that marked the beginning of the end in terms of the Bills having top-flight talent. Excellent football player and not horrible at WR by any means, but no way someone to rely on offensively.

When Tasker started getting regular reps at WR, that marked the beginning of the end in terms of the Bills having top-flight talent. Excellent football player and not horrible at WR by any means, but no way someone to rely on offensively.

Agreed, but as the WR corps was getting thin, Kelly pleaded to put Tasker out there. He was then consistently beating the corners & safeties and getting open a lot.

You should ask why Brown didn't squarely beat out Dixon last year when he had the golden opportunity. Maybe because the guy isn't really that good?

I don't think it's just Rex. Anthony Lynn went on record saying some pretty critical things:

"The position coach working with Brown every day knows this is a problem.

“He has been careless with the football his whole career,” running backs coach Anthony Lynn said. “He’s gotten away with it. But now that defenses have caught up with offenses and ball security, they practice it every day. They’re more worried about taking the ball from you, than tackling you.” “To be honest with you,” Lynn said, “I haven’t seen as much improvement as I was hoping to see. Right now, over his career, he’s putting the ball on the ground every 56 touches. Whereas, LeSean is putting it on the ground every 125 touches. So I want to see more progress and I want to see it quickly."

The problem with Brown? He carries the ball "like a baton,” Lynn said. His wrist is too often below his elbow — the way he’s run since high school.

This loose, arm-pumping motion is one reason Brown was one of the nation’s top recruits out of high school, a five-star prospect who could pick his destination. On to the NFL, he averaged 4.6 yards per carry in two seasons with Philadelphia and the Bills traded away a fourth-round pick to get him.

Lynn says Brown must buy in. “You have to make some sacrifices to your running style for ball security,” Lynn said. “That’s what we’re emphasizing. I’m still trying to get him there. We’re all trying to get him there and get him to turn the corner. Some guys can turn the corner, very few don’t. We’re hoping that he does. “It’s definitely fixable because I’ve had backs who put the ball on the ground before. It’s just an awareness issue. But they have to be willing to make those sacrifices and changes to their game. I haven’t been with Bryce that long. We got into this training camp to get it fixed and that’s my job — to get it done.”

That was the article that put the writing on the wall for me with Brown. When your position coach says "to be honest with you, I haven't seen as much improvement as I was hoping to see"...."I want to see more progress and I want to see it quickly" "Brown must buy in" that basically says to me the guy is a coaching issue, he ISN'T buying in to what he's being coached to do and trying to correct the problem, and that is very likely why he's still unemployed after two weeks despite tremendous physical talent and ability.

Contrary to what some here think, I think Whaley has no ego invested in specific players. He traded a 4th for Brown because he thought the guy's physical talent could make that a steal if they could coach him up. No one who has seen some of Brown's moves can doubt his physical talent. But once Lynn said "he isn't buying in, he isn't trying to improve as we're coaching him to do", Whaley nodded and got out the scissors.

Edited by Hopeful

This. There is a reason no one signed Brown. The guy fumbles and can't play ST. Not very good for a 3rd string RB.

I hope they bring Wood up from the PS and give him some carries if Boobie looks bad again as the backup.

I would kind of like to see them activate Wood this week. If McCoy is out we're one Williams sprained ankle away from no running game.

Dixon was not that bad last year on a team with no run blocking to speak of: 4.1 ypc. I do wonder if his calf is still bothering him.

I would kind of like to see them activate Wood this week. If McCoy is out we're one Williams sprained ankle away from no running game.

Dixon was not that bad last year on a team with no run blocking to speak of: 4.1 ypc. I do wonder if his calf is still bothering him.

I am thinking the same way. I thought Cierre Wood looked like our best option after Karlos based on what we could see in the preseason. I don't see Boobie contributing other than short yardage situations, and even there he hasn't had the same level of success as he did last year.

Special teams

I don't think it's just Rex. Anthony Lynn went on record saying some pretty critical things:

He has been careless with the football his whole career, running backs coach Anthony Lynn said. Hes gotten away with it. But now that defenses have caught up with offenses and ball security, they practice it every day. Theyre more worried about taking the ball from you, than tackling you. To be honest with you, Lynn said, I havent seen as much improvement as I was hoping to see. Right now, over his career, hes putting the ball on the ground every 56 touches. Whereas, LeSean is putting it on the ground every 125 touches. So I want to see more progress and I want to see it quickly."

The problem with Brown? He carries the ball "like a baton, Lynn said. His wrist is too often below his elbow the way hes run since high school.

This loose, arm-pumping motion is one reason Brown was one of the nations top recruits out of high school, a five-star prospect who could pick his destination. On to the NFL, he averaged 4.6 yards per carry in two seasons with Philadelphia and the Bills traded away a fourth-round pick to get him.

Lynn says Brown must buy in. You have to make some sacrifices to your running style for ball security, Lynn said. Thats what were emphasizing. Im still trying to get him there. Were all trying to get him there and get him to turn the corner. Some guys can turn the corner, very few dont. Were hoping that he does. Its definitely fixable because Ive had backs who put the ball on the ground before. Its just an awareness issue. But they have to be willing to make those sacrifices and changes to their game. I havent been with Bryce that long. We got into this training camp to get it fixed and thats my job to get it done.

That was the article that put the writing on the wall for me with Brown. When your position coach says "to be honest with you, I haven't seen as much improvement as I was hoping to see"...."I want to see more progress and I want to see it quickly" "Brown must buy in" that basically says to me the guy is a coaching issue, he ISN'T buying in to what he's being coached to do and trying to correct the problem, and that is very likely why he's still unemployed after two weeks despite tremendous physical talent and ability.

Contrary to what some here think, I think Whaley has no ego invested in specific players. He traded a 4th for Brown because he thought the guy's physical talent could make that a steal if they could coach him up. No one who has seen some of Brown's moves can doubt his physical talent. But once Lynn said "he isn't buying in, he isn't trying to improve as we're coaching him to do", Whaley nodded and got out the scissors.

Great post. Certainly clarifies why the decision was made. And a good sign that Whaley does the right thing rather than HIS (rogue) thing.

There has been a great deal of negative chatter on this forum this week regarding Dixon. I get it - he did not have a good game last week. However, I think people may have forgotten how he attained near folk hero status last year. He was absolutely our best back for a significant portion of last season, with Spiller failing and Jackson hurt. Even when Jackson returned, he was clearly not the same and Dixon was the most reliable back.

I am certainly willing to give Boobie some time to work himself out of whatever his issue is. I suspect lingering effects from the calf injury he suffered which kept him out of the pre-season. He is likely going to need some time to regain top form. Given his willingness and ability to play special teams, his running style, work ethic, and leadership I would much rather have him than Brown.

Dixon is one of the league's better special teamers. Your 3rd back has to be a special teamer. Brown wasn't.

This a million times - it's been posted, it's been written, its even been talked about by the Bills brass in interviews.

Seems Rex is quite a Boobie guy...

The question isn't why did Dixon beat out Brown for a roster spot. The question is why did the Bills enter the season with only two healthy RBs? They knew Shady had a hammy injury and wasn't ready for a full work load so why not enter the season with an extra RB on the roster to compensate for it?

I'd have kept an extra RB until Shady was healthy. This team's run game is going to take a serious dive if Williams gets banged up in the least. They have nobody else on the roster who is any kind of running threat.

Life is good when some need to find the guy to hate and it is your third RB. Dixon did get in the end zone the first week on short yardage. He is a great special team guy. There are teams out there with real needs at RB and they have not picked up Brown so I think it safe to say our coaches/GM must know what they are doing.

Rex sees him as a fumbler because he is a fumbler. Exciting runner until he flops the ball out there.

It seems many around here have forgotten that Boobie missed lots of training camp/preseason with a calf injury. Give him a little time to get up to speed and all will be forgiven.

And as others have pointed out Boobie is strong on special teams.

Tasker was a very good wide receiver.

Quite true.

“He has been careless with the football his whole career,” running backs coach Anthony Lynn said. “He’s gotten away with it. But now that defenses have caught up with offenses and ball security, they practice it every day. They’re more worried about taking the ball from you, than tackling you.” “To be honest with you,” Lynn said, “I haven’t seen as much improvement as I was hoping to see. Right now, over his career, he’s putting the ball on the ground every 56 touches. Whereas, LeSean is putting it on the ground every 125 touches. So I want to see more progress and I want to see it quickly."

The problem with Brown? He carries the ball "like a baton,” Lynn said. His wrist is too often below his elbow — the way he’s run since high school.

This loose, arm-pumping motion is one reason Brown was one of the nation’s top recruits out of high school, a five-star prospect who could pick his destination. On to the NFL, he averaged 4.6 yards per carry in two seasons with Philadelphia and the Bills traded away a fourth-round pick to get him.

Lynn says Brown must buy in. “You have to make some sacrifices to your running style for ball security,” Lynn said. “That’s what we’re emphasizing. I’m still trying to get him there. We’re all trying to get him there and get him to turn the corner. Some guys can turn the corner, very few don’t. We’re hoping that he does. “It’s definitely fixable because I’ve had backs who put the ball on the ground before. It’s just an awareness issue. But they have to be willing to make those sacrifices and changes to their game. I haven’t been with Bryce that long. We got into this training camp to get it fixed and that’s my job — to get it done.”

Thanks

I don't know why tasker was brought up lol that wasn't my question. Boobie hasn't done much for us on special teams this year either go look at the film. I'm glad we brought wood up to the roster. I hope they feed the ball to wood more then they feed the ball to the "amazing special teamer" that's hogging up a roster spot

Edited by Buffalo2525

Not only has Boobie contributed on special teams but he has also lined up at full back a handful of times already this season. I think this comes back to the point about what do you want bottom of the roster guys to do and I want them to be multi functional and Dixon is that.

Also worth noting that behind last year's terrible line Boobie had the best ypa of the Bills 4 backs averaging 4.1 yards a carry whilst the other 3 were all below 4 ypa and he had the second highest number of attempts just 35 shy of Fred for the season.

He had a really poor game carrying the ball last week but to suggest it has always been the case during his time here does him a disservice.

Edited by GunnerBill