Bills Trade Cassel to Cowboys

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would they roll the dice with only 2 active QBs?

I'm pretty firmly on record that we may as well sign someone off the heap like sims only if required by injury. To do it today poses little advantage. Put tanney on the ps, and Simms is an option later still too.

My initial reaction is we didn't get enough in return for this trade. Cassel had more value to us as a backup QB this year than whoever the 2017 6th or 7th rounder will be; a pick that usually (not always) doesn't even end up making the team.

I would've preferred a player-for-player here and receive depth OL (La'el Collins???). Considering the Cowboys are desperate, I would've thought we had more leverage here. Obviously I am just speculating, I'm sure you'll tell me why this was impossible.

Because if the Bills asked for any player of value I'm guessing the Cowboys would have looked elswhere for a backup

not sure if you saw this, that doesn't scream 'top' to me

@ESPNStatsInfo: Cowboys acquire Matt Cassel. His 34.6 Total QBR since '12 is 4th-lowest (min. 500 action plays). Lowest QBR since '12...Brandon Weeden, 26.1

I'd love to see how those numbers compare to other backup QBs in the league. Plus- there is no statistic on experience.

I'm pretty firmly on record that we may as well sign someone off the heap like sims only if required by injury. To do it today poses little advantage. Put tanney on the ps, and Simms is an option later still too.

The advantages are they learn the offense and serve as an additional practice arm. But yeah, if you get to where you need to actually use them, you're basically screwed anyway by that point...

Except that then there is no time for them to become familiar with the system or players. Could be risky.

The advantages are they learn the offense and serve as an additional practice arm. But yeah, if you get to where you need to actually use them, you're basically screwed anyway by that point...

Yup.

Plus if sims is that guy - he knows the offense and is available PLUS you can teach a practice squad guy in the meantime. Why rush to lock sims into your 53? So you can ensure the type of screwed you are in advance?

This is much more of a vote of confidence for EJ than Tyrod. We all know a running QB can get hurt, they must be comfortable with EJ

he looked good in preseason IMO. I'd rather him in there as backup than Cassel. He also has way more chemistry and reps built up with guys Iike woods and Watkins having been here.