Bills Trade Cassel to Cowboys

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial reaction is we didn't get enough in return for this trade. Cassel had more value to us as a backup QB this year than whoever the 2017 6th or 7th rounder will be; a pick that usually (not always) doesn't even end up making the team.

I would've preferred a player-for-player here and receive depth OL (La'el Collins???). Considering the Cowboys are desperate, I would've thought we had more leverage here. Obviously I am just speculating, I'm sure you'll tell me why this was impossible.

Edited by LA Grant

My initial reaction is we didn't get enough in return for this trade. Cassel had more value to us as a backup QB this year than whoever the 2017 6th or 7th rounder will be; a pick that usually (not always) doesn't even end up making the team.

I would've preferred a player-for-player here and receive depth OL (La'el Collins???). Considering the Cowboys are desperate, I would've thought we had more leverage here. Obviously I am just speculating.

Meh was much more valuable to us in the off-season. Now that we know TT can play and EJ seems to have turned a corner, Meh was completely dispensable. I think DW is looking at this as a chance to hedge the loss of what he gave up originally for Meh (which, at the time, was a good trade-- because we had nothing at QB).

Additionally, my guess is that Meh is maybe a slight upgrade as a backup to the other guys the Cowboys were looking at (e.g., Ponder). So the Cowboys probably aren't desperaate for him.

That is why I posted. It did not make sense when some seem to have been suggesting swapping 7ths or something like that.

Right - when draft order is set, it makes sense (last cassel trade)

Unless the condition is based on standings and us moving up to the pick before ours (whether that ends up 6 or 7) swapping 7s today does not make sense.

Edited by NoSaint

Meh was much more valuable to us in the off-season. Now that we know TT can play and EJ seems to have turned a corner, Meh was completely dispensable. I think DW is looking at this as a chance to hedge the loss of what he gave up originally for Meh (which, at the time, was a good trade-- because we had nothing at QB).

Additionally, my guess is that Meh is maybe a slight upgrade as a backup to the other guys the Cowboys were looking at (e.g., Ponder). So the Cowboys probably aren't desperaate for him.

I think you're right, I think that was their logic.

yes, they gave us a 6th.. We swapped 7ths.

a quote from the article

The Bills announced Wednesday they've agreed to a trade with the Vikings to acquire Matt Cassel. FOX Sports reports the Bills will also receive a sixth-round pick in 2015 in exchange for a fifth-round pick in 2015 and a seventh-round pick in 2016.