A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to imagine anyone complaining that Karlos Williams is not someone the Bills need to get in the game and a big part of the future.

It's wasnt a decision that they made based on performance. It was a money game. Without Fred saying he wanted atleast 3 more years. At his current salary. Being the number 3 on the depth chart. I think they would have kept him. Had he said he wanted to remain a Bill 1 more year. And then retire. I dont think they would have given him the ax.

It's wasnt a decision that they made based on performance. It was a money game. Without Fred saying he wanted atleast 3 more years. At his current salary. Being the number 3 on the depth chart. I think they would have kept him. Had he said he wanted to remain a Bill 1 more year. And then retire. I dont think they would have given him the ax.

I'm not sure that had much to do with it but you may be right. I think there were ten reasons why the decision was made, and it was a tough decision that GMs and coaches have to make. I think Karlos simply beat him out as a RB in camp (and we may have seen why today). I think that Fred was clearly the best blocker and a good receiver but Karlos showed he could handle those things, too. Not as good as Fred but not weak at them.

I think they never wanted to have Fred not active on game day like they did to Brown today. It would embarrass him. Boobie was clearly a valuable ST guy. So the combination of Karlos being a good complement to Shady, Fred not being a ST guy, Fred having a 2.5m contract, Fred being the oldest RB in the league, Fred not able to be a 15-20 carry back at this age, Fred having an injury history, and Fred having only one or two years left ALL COMBINED to say maybe this is best for the team.

I was impressed by the tackling, particularly the secondary -- which suffocated their receivers after the catch.

As we seen before when Pettine was here, Robey is tailor-made to play nickel in this D.

11 penalties for 113 yard? Ouch. Better clean that up fast.

I wasn't too surprised at the outcome. I figured the offense would be better with having a quality OC, more weapons at key positions, plus having an unknown at QB which would make it hard for the Colts to game plan against. I was surprised that the Bills D held the Colts to 14 points, especially with Dareus out. Here are some of my takeaways from the game:

- McCoy had some good runs, but was bottled up for most of the game. I really like what he can do when he catches the ball as he was very effective in the passing game.

- Karlos Williams, now we know why the coaching staff was high on him. His first NFL carry goes for 29 yards and a TD. I think he will be a great compliment to McCoy.

- Taylor had a good, effective day as was mostly playing game manager with 19 pass attempts. His 51 yard bomb to Harvin was great to see. Nice heads up play to be defender and swat down a possible INT. Great 30 yard run as well!

- I liked what I saw from Charles Clay today and think he will be a great TE for the Bills.

- I was worried about the secondary going into the game, especially Darby, but he rose to the occasion and played great. Gilmore had some great pass breakups as well, too bad he doesn't have better hands as he should of had a pick.

- I loved how Rex kept Luck off-balanced today with pressure from all over the place. I like that he moves his personnel around and creates mismatches.

- I was disappointed that they didn't get Watkins involved sooner in the passing game as they seemed to target him (only twice) late in the game. I know he was double-teamed all game long. Watkins had a great block to help spring Karlos Williams open for his TD.

- My only real negative on the game was that once the Bills were up 24-0, they seemed to go into a prevent mode. I understand that the coaches wanted to run the ball and eat up the clock to keep Luck off the field, but I felt the Bills were moving the ball and scoring on the Colts and they should have kept it up. Too many times over the past 15 years have we seen the Bills blow a big lead and lose the game in the final moments. I'm glad it didn't happen this time.

Overall, great game! There's a lot to be excited about with the Bills. It's going to take some time for the offense to really get going as they have a new offensive scheme and a lot of new players, but I can see the Bills having an explosive offense by the middle of the season. Go Bills!

I can't say that they were all BS penalties or that they always go against us.

In some circs, I do have a feeling sometimes the refs are under orders "if you can with a call, keep the game interesting, let 'em back in it" For example, we were clearly holding on McCoy's TD run that got called back. That said, watch the Pats OL sometimes - they hold all day. And I wouldn't bet a plugged nickel there wasn't some holding by Indy that wasn't called.

Last but not least, I would like someone to explain the "running into the kicker" penalty on Dixon and the non-penalty on what looked like a very similar, but later with less excuse, take-down of our punter by Indy. Use small words and speak slowly when you do try to explain.

Think the main difference between the two, was the Bills player cleared his block and dove to try and block the punt, so was his own act the put him in the punters way. While the Colts player was blocked into his position, so isn't a penalty as was result of being blocked into the punters feet.

Why is boobie on this team and Fred not?

Fred doesn't play special teams, so wasn't directly competing with Boobie. If was on team he would have been the one not dressing as wouldn't be able to cover the special teams role.

We have to field 6 different special teams units. No matter what you think, we need enough competent special teams player to field all of those positions. Not all of them show up on stats sheets so its tough for people watching on TV or looking at stats to know whos doing their jobs well or whos just out there.

I like Preston Brown, but his personal foul penalty when he put his helmet into Luck after Luck had already gone down was inexcusably stupid, the kind of play that can lose a tight game for you.

I think it was unfortunate. Luck made a move to keep going and then slid down. Brown as already coming full steam and you just can't stop midstream and back off.

BTW ...AFCE 4 & 0 week 1. Potentially best division in football? New England effect

It is going to be a good division but Washington and Cleveland are bad... which helped the Jets and Dolphins no end. I actually thought the Jets were a little better than I expected... the Dolphins a little worse. The Dolphins offense still can't test anyone deep.

I wonder if the blitzing will be less frequent with Dareus in.

I suspect no - Ryan uses blitzing as part of his "controlled chaos" to disguise the pass rush. But it's a possibility.

I think it could, but I bet it is more dependent on who is playing QB than anything.

Does Rex typically bring the heat like that against tom* brady*?

Now I've got to go back and watch some Jets vs Pats games.

I was impressed by the tackling, particularly the secondary -- which suffocated their receivers after the catch.

As we seen before when Pettine was here, Robey is tailor-made to play nickel in this D.

11 penalties for 113 yard? Ouch. Better clean that up fast.

the guys in the booth kept saying that throughout the game. The Bills are tackling and allowing no yards after possession both rushing and receiving.

what a difference real coaching does for a team.

After one game people are comparing TT to RW?

slow down fellas. One game at a time. Lets beat the :censored: out of the Cheatriots before we put him a notch higher on the ladder to success.

do you mean the non flag on a punt play that was exactly like the flag of "running" into the kicker for Indy?

The colts' player was blocked into Schmidt, which is by definition not a penalty. It was embarrassing moment for the announcers, who did not know the rule. It was the right call all the way.

Thanks for posting that picture, saw it on the tv broadcast and was looking for a screen grab during the game. couldn't find one.

Great game, and very fun to watch!

The penalties for the Bills are a concern! 11 for 113 yards

Andrew Luck went 26 of 49 for 240 yards passing along with only 17 rushes all game. (Luck looked a lot like EJ did against the Texans last year!) Meanwhile the Bills rushed 36 times for 147 yards.

Buddy Ryan was at the game to watch his son Rex coach the Bills. Great stuff to see Buddy in Bills gear.

Buddy-Rex-Ryan-Bills-09-13-15.jpg

The colts' player was blocked into Schmidt, which is by definition not a penalty. It was embarrassing moment for the announcers, who did not know the rule. It was the right call all the way.

yup, that was explained and now understood. Spero Dedes & Solomon Wilcots should have explained that better.

I was at the game yesterday and just a couple quick things:

-no matter what happens this year it will be a great year to be a Bills fan! Last time I felt that way was the end of the 80's. So much talent and colorful personalities on this team.

-I felt like Darby was asked to play tight man coverage all preseason but yesterday he was coached to allow a wide cushion and keep everything in front of him. I think he's going to be really good, probably shut-down type. Even in preseason I didn't feel like he got faked out and toasted by any receivers, just poor sense of how and when to make a play for the ball. He really started to make plays on the ball late first half and after he went out I was relieved it wasn't because of injury.

-Karlos Williams needs more touches. He is the perfect complement to Shady, really quick up to the line, quick cut and go. Bruiser. I think he would have been more effective with the inside runs then Shady yesterday. Shady's a hell of a talent though, glad we have him.

-Great job TT, I just want to see you dial it in and come through with the game on the line before I stop thinking about Manuel. This season will show us.

-It's really pathetic when 2 offensive linemen successfully hustle to set up the screen blocking and then stand there and watch the DB shoot by them for the tackle. O-line needs to do better and glad RR mentioned it specifically today.

Rex has the defense he wants.

Rex ran the historic Ravens defense. I believe this team may have more talent.

While he had a HOF MLB and safety, I don't think he had as many very good corners, defensive ends and tackles as good as he has now. And while likely not canton bound, the MLB and safety play is definitely solid.

That's gotta be fun.

Is there anybody besides me that feels we were getting hosed by BS Ref penalties in second half?? I am tired of these BS calls that always go against us.

yup. +1

Agreed. That was a 40 yard call that simply can't happen in a game this important.

Did anyone actually see the facemask on the Colts' fumble play?

I clearly saw a hand with a yard of his face.

Rex ran the historic Ravens defense. I believe this team may have more talent.

While he had a HOF MLB and safety, I don't think he had as many very good corners, defensive ends and tackles as good as he has now. And while likely not canton bound, the MLB and safety play is definitely solid.

That's gotta be fun.

Rex had studs all over that Baltimore defense. Suggs, Scott, Ngata, Reed, Rolle, McAllister, Landry, etc...

Except which is likely more accurate, the previous three? Or ignoring the previous three completely and just using 4-6? It's a laughable argument. But you're right it's not worth it.

The last four years they averaged in the lowest third percentile overall. Five and six years ago they were poor. Why is this even being discussed?

Sumbitch. The only getting older than me around here is this sub-thread argument.

I like the shirt not the jacket.

He should see if they make it in Buffalo blue.

I see we are still weighing in on the fashion report.

Well, for the record, I like both the shirt and the jacket---just not together.

And I LOVE the hat he wore/wears in press conferences. Mad style.

I like karlos straight ahead power style for this offense more than McCoys shake n bake. McCoy leaves yards on the table too often trying to show flash when I'd like to see him power ahead and pickup those extra 3-5 yards the defender is giving.

Loved the darby draft pick when they drafted him. Said then he'll be a top DRoY candidate. Today reinforced that belief, especially adding pick stats that voters look for.

Need Dareus back. Too much room up the middle. If colts weren't such a pass happy team they'd have made us pay more for it.

We have guards that can pull .... Hallelujah

Why is boobie on this team and Fred not?

Not going to get down on Watkins for 1 reception game. Even in low production efforts he's still occupying opposing D's #1 DB and opening opportunities for others. As long as continue to do that he's valuable.

When clay gets his hands on it he's a defenses secondary's worst nightmare: a full back who can run

Some complain about refs being against us; not what I saw. They hurt colts too with holding calls, one that killed their opening possession and another that brought back a luck first down scramble. Overall I thought the officials were flag happy, like trying to prove a point that didn't need to be made. But I don't think it was one-sided.

I'm more impressed with tyods poise than his flash and skills. He showed good judgment when to go down and not risk further loss, turnover or injury. Still not at all convinced EJ wouldn't perform better.

Tyrod's 88.2 QBR was the 5th highest total a Bills QB has had in the last 10 years (in his 1st career start). You firmly believe that EJ would have played one of the 5 best games a QB has played in the last 10 years?

Tyrod's 88.2 QBR was the 5th highest total a Bills QB has had in the last 10 years (in his 1st career start). You firmly believe that EJ would have played one of the 5 best games a QB has played in the last 10 years?

I hate to agree with JTSP and stir up QB (non)controversy, but yeah.

That being said, I fully back Taylor.

I hate to agree with JTSP and stir up QB (non)controversy, but yeah.

That being said, I fully back Taylor.

It's just a bold statement to make. I think that they would have won yesterday regardless of the starter but it is really a stretch to say that they would have played one of the best 5 games of the last 10 years. My answer would be if it is so easy why have only 2.5% of the starts over the last decade been better? It is bold (and convenient) to say that someone else would have played better than 97.5% of the Bills starts over the last 10 years.

It's just a bold statement to make. I think that they would have won yesterday regardless of the starter but it is really a stretch to say that they would have played one of the best 5 games of the last 10 years. My answer would be if it is so easy why have only 2.5% of the starts over the last decade been better? It is bold (and convenient) to say that someone else would have played better than 97.5% of the Bills starts over the last 10 years.

I think predicting the Bills would go up 24-0 against the Colts wouldve been an even bolder statement. But it happened. And a lot of that is due to the new coaching staff, and the added talent on Offense around whoever ended up playing QB.