A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My thoughts:

1. Hell yeah!

2. We need leadership on the team. Too many mental errors that almost let the Colts back in the game. We clearly have talent, but we need some players or coaches to keep everyone in the game mentally. The amount of mental mistakes today would lose us a game against a better coached team (Patriots).

3. McCoy wasn't all that impressive as a runner behind this line, but I really liked what I saw from him in the passing game. I don't care if that's how he gets his yards, if it works. Get him in space.

4. Karlos seems to fit this line quite nicely... one cut and hits the hole... even if its not there.

5. Tyrod played damned well. Ran at the right times, threw at the right times, was pretty accurate. That being said, the fumble, and the poor clock management are things that need to be looked at. I'm sure the mental mistakes will be worked out with experience.

6. Darby makes me nervous, but it's clear he has skill. Gilmore is a stud. But again, we let the Colts back into the game with mental errors in our defensive backfield. Seems like assignments were missed quite often.

7. Missed Dareus in the middle... it seemed we didn't have much rush up through the middle, or at all really. We blitzed a lot, but had little to show for it for much of the game. But when we did get the right pressure, we caused a lot of bad throws.

8. Good job 12th man. The fans really pumped the players up and made life hell for the Colts.

9. Hell yeah!

Chaps give this up it is going nowhere. For 3 years they were bad for 3 other years less bad. Nobody is winning an argument based on such inconclusive evidence.

Except which is likely more accurate, the previous three? Or ignoring the previous three completely and just using 4-6? It's a laughable argument. But you're right it's not worth it.

The last four years they averaged in the lowest third percentile overall. Five and six years ago they were poor. Why is this even being discussed?

Except which is likely more accurate, the previous three? Or ignoring the previous three completely and just using 4-6? It's a laughable argument. But you're right it's not worth it.

The last four years they averaged in the lowest third percentile overall. Five and six years ago they were poor. Why is this even being discussed?

Does it matter what happened in the past at all? Today's showing in regards to penalties is something that needs to be addressed. Period.

Does it matter what happened in the past at all? Today's showing in regards to penalties is something that needs to be addressed. Period.

To me it's not so much the number of penalties but the nature of them. Rex is going to be scrutinized for his "build a bully" comment and today we saw a stupid late hit by Preston Brown and a stupid punch to the face by Ron (Stupid) Brooks - I don't mind a little nastiness but it they have to pick their spots and they can't be drive killers/extenders.

Is there anybody besides me that feels we were getting hosed by BS Ref penalties in second half?? I am tired of these BS calls that always go against us.

The flag on the Clay "chop block"...

The no call on roughing the kicker when they actually contacted our kicker and Boobie went clean under theirs...

The phantom facemask penalty on the fumble that gave them a first down inside our ten...

The no call on the face guarding on the pass to McCoy...

Yeah the refs seemed to have a ****ty game

I like karlos straight ahead power style for this offense more than McCoys shake n bake. McCoy leaves yards on the table too often trying to show flash when I'd like to see him power ahead and pickup those extra 3-5 yards the defender is giving.

Loved the darby draft pick when they drafted him. Said then he'll be a top DRoY candidate. Today reinforced that belief, especially adding pick stats that voters look for.

Need Dareus back. Too much room up the middle. If colts weren't such a pass happy team they'd have made us pay more for it.

We have guards that can pull .... Hallelujah

Why is boobie on this team and Fred not?

Not going to get down on Watkins for 1 reception game. Even in low production efforts he's still occupying opposing D's #1 DB and opening opportunities for others. As long as continue to do that he's valuable.

When clay gets his hands on it he's a defenses secondary's worst nightmare: a full back who can run

Some complain about refs being against us; not what I saw. They hurt colts too with holding calls, one that killed their opening possession and another that brought back a luck first down scramble. Overall I thought the officials were flag happy, like trying to prove a point that didn't need to be made. But I don't think it was one-sided.

I'm more impressed with tyods poise than his flash and skills. He showed good judgment when to go down and not risk further loss, turnover or injury. Still not at all convinced EJ wouldn't perform better.

Edited by JTSP

This. Except, IMO, a lot of teams OL hold like the dickens. So if the choice is between holding, vs letting your QB get hit/maybe causing a fumble or between holding while a run breaks off vs letting the runner get stuffed, I think a lot of teams will coach the OL to take the chance.

Better fundamental technique is the ultimate answer, and that takes time.

This. Except, IMO, a lot of teams OL hold like the dickens. So if the choice is between holding, vs letting your QB get hit/maybe causing a fumble or between holding while a run breaks off vs letting the runner get stuffed, I think a lot of teams will coach the OL to take the chance.

Better fundamental technique is the ultimate answer, and that takes time.

The holds were frustrating, but I mostly agree with you on it... facemasks, personal fouls, late hits, etc are just mental errors that absolutely need to be coached out. Whether on the coach level or player leadership level.

Last but not least, I would like someone to explain the "running into the kicker" penalty on Dixon and the non-penalty on what looked like a very similar, but later with less excuse, take-down of our punter by Indy. Use small words and speak slowly when you do try to explain.

When the Bills' punter got hit, the Colt was blocked into him. When the Colts' punter got hit, the Bill was not blocked into him.

Fair enough, except, I didn't think the Colts punter got hit. He kind of fell down on top of Boobie. The announcers were saying some stuff about "allowing the kicker to land" not saying he got hit. And I thought the Colt player wasn't blocked hard and kind of dove for our kicker "whoo hoo kicking team touched me, free target!!!!". But I'll see when the all-22 comes out Tues.

Not yet. But fukk yourself.

In six seasons, counting your own "cherry picked" 4-6 years, the Jets were 20th, 12th, 27th, 21st, 9th and 6th in number of penalties. That is at the top of the league in penalties? No. That averages about 16. Middle of the pack. So start drinking, you're wrong again.

I never argued he was at the top. Like I said.

Edited by FireChan

You didn't, Watkins did. Which is why this side conversation is mildly entertaining as it doesn't even involve the original poster.

In defense of FireChan, it's often been said by smarter people than me, that the "fourth through sixth years ago" is the truest indicator of future performance, and not the latest three.

You didn't, Watkins did. Which is why this side conversation is mildly entertaining as it doesn't even involve the original poster.

Where did I say he was at the top? I said "Google 'Rex Ryan penalties' ".

Ryan's teams seem to have games where they collect a bunch of penalties. I think the Bills will continue to have games like this one, and I expect them to finish in the top ten for most yards penalized.

You can disagree all you want, and throw it in my face at the end of the season if I am wrong (I know I will when I'm right).

Edited by HoF Watkins

Robey needs more love. Guy is a flat out baller.

One of the QBs last year, I think it was Rogers, said I can not believe they sacked us with 3.5 players rushing. When someone pointed out there were only 3 rushing he said "I counted Robey as 1.5 players". That is a lot of respect and I am glad they locked him up for 2 more years.

It wasn't. The Colts player was blocked into the punter, which makes a non call the correct call. The facemask on the fumble though, I didn't see anything that looked anything like a facemask.

Hughes was holding the runner's hand with his own facemask, that was about it.

Where did I say he was at the top? I said "Google 'Rex Ryan penalties' ".

Ryan's teams seem to have games where they collect a bunch of penalties. I think the Bills will continue to have games like this one, and I expect them to finish in the top ten for most yards penalized.

You can disagree all you want, and throw it in my face at the end of the season if I am wrong (I know I will when I'm right).

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

God it was fun today. Bill, you always send us so many cool threads.

Thanks.

BTW- Are you guys watching the Angry Birds / Aints Game? Holy cow it is exciting.

How fun is it watching football again. My boys friends were over the house and were laughing at how much I was yelling at the TV. What do you want? I'm a Bills FAN!

I can't wait to be at the Ralph next week.

do you mean the non flag on a punt play that was exactly like the flag of "running" into the kicker for Indy?

He was blocked into the kicker. #58 pushed him right into the punter. It was a good no-call.

The chop block was just terrible call.

No issues with the rest. But it wouldn't be Sunday afternoon without an officiating complaint...

To me it's not so much the number of penalties but the nature of them. Rex is going to be scrutinized for his "build a bully" comment and today we saw a stupid late hit by Preston Brown and a stupid punch to the face by Ron (Stupid) Brooks - I don't mind a little nastiness but it they have to pick their spots and they can't be drive killers/extenders.

To be fair to Preston, Luck faked a feet-first slide, then kept running, then did a late feet-toward-the-sideline-first slide. I think you do things where you're not clearly giving yourself up, you need to get smacked.

1) Big time props to Preston Brown. Did you see that pass defense with 1 minute left in the 3rd quarter? This from a player who is thought of as primarily a run defender. The Colts had to waste a timeout after the play. This matters, and count me in as a huge fan of this kid.

2) Big time shout out to our kickers and special teams. They made a difference in a huge way. Carpenter came through despite the concerns. Dontcha love it?!

3) I dedicate this post and this game to the Bills Fan who took his own life at RWS last night. I wish he could have seen this, and pray that he did.

4) Gilmore played the best game of his career imo. He was all over his man and was able to get his hand in numerous times. It was just freaking great to see.

5) The OL needs to improve. Glenn had 2 holds and I wanted to see bigger holes on running plays.

6) Let's focus on Tyrod for a moment. This kid, in his first NFL start, took over the game, and he did so against ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! He was poised, smart, and accurate. Call me insane, but I think that my favorite play was the one where he was calm enough to bat down the deflected pass. A mistake could have cost us a touchdown and yes, the game. Wait until he REALLY takes off and runs! His potential has few limits.

7) Goddamn, well I declare,

Have you seen the like?

Their walls are built of cannonballs,

their motto is Don't Tread on Me!!!!!!

Come... hear, Uncle John's Band,

by the riverside.

Got some things to talk about,

here, beside the rising tide.

8) Neither Corbin Bryant nor Kyle Williams showed up that much in the stats today. That said, they both did their jobs!!!!! Kyle provided pressure and looked fresh. Bryant moved well and was in on quite a few tackles. When Marcel comes back, this is going to be fun to watch!

9) Nickell Robey is a winner. Period.

10) Percy Harvin is a mismatch with two legs. If he can keep his head on straight, he can win us football games.

11) Sack totals notwithstanding, I am 100% thrilled that Rex blitzed all day. It took pressure off the secondary and enabled them to make plays.

12) Are we still worried about Darby? This was probably one of the best games ever played by a rookie corner in his first game in the post rule change era.

13) I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of Karlos Williams. We need someone to compliment McCoy with that downhill style.

14) I'm proud to be a member of this community. We truly do deserve days like this.

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

here beside the rising tide indeed!!!!

Great game, and very fun to watch!

The penalties for the Bills are a concern! 11 for 113 yards

Andrew Luck went 26 of 49 for 240 yards passing along with only 17 rushes all game. (Luck looked a lot like EJ did against the Texans last year!) Meanwhile the Bills rushed 36 times for 147 yards.

Buddy Ryan was at the game to watch his son Rex coach the Bills. Great stuff to see Buddy in Bills gear.

Buddy-Rex-Ryan-Bills-09-13-15.jpg

One of the QBs last year, I think it was Rogers, said I can not believe they sacked us with 3.5 players rushing. When someone pointed out there were only 3 rushing he said "I counted Robey as 1.5 players". That is a lot of respect and I am glad they locked him up for 2 more years.

love that kid. why the hell they had him mismatched on A Johnson i dont know. But it worked. love that 37 and always look for his number