A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

Really happy with a quality win over a quality opponent. That being said Jerry Hughes as good as he is is gonna cost us games with his boneheaded penalties. There was no reason for his personal foul on the QB. That could have gone really bad.

This is a trademark of Ryan's teams, undisciplined stupid penalties. He should make it a point of emphasis with this staff this week. No way we get away with it next week against the Cheatriots**

C

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at the game. Percy's rd was awesome. I don't think I'll go to another game this year unless it's playoffs though. Relaxing at home w beer and pizza/wings is more my speed. That said, it was a blast. I just wish I remembered more of the game, lol.

Hah. It's funny, I did exactly what you wanted - sat at home drinking beer and eating wings - and all I want to do it get to a game! Trying to figure out which one to make the trip for.

Last but not least, I would like someone to explain the "running into the kicker" penalty on Dixon and the non-penalty on what looked like a very similar, but later with less excuse, take-down of our punter by Indy. Use small words and speak slowly when you do try to explain.

When the Bills' punter got hit, the Colt was blocked into him. When the Colts' punter got hit, the Bill was not blocked into him.

Totally agree that this was Gilmore's best game.

Another sign of Taylor's maturity is that he didn't extend himself for extra yardage and risk injury on running plays and slid as necessary.

Karlos looked faster than I expected and showed a few moves.

Loved all the blitzes. Luck gets the ball away quickly like Brady does. There will likely be some similar blitz schemes for Tom and hopefully a few new wrinkles.

Facing the Bills this year you'll have to be continually confused by all the mind boggling defensive sets and shifts.

Last but not least, I would like someone to explain the "running into the kicker" penalty on Dixon and the non-penalty on what looked like a very similar, but later with less excuse, take-down of our punter by Indy. Use small words and speak slowly when you do try to explain.

When the Bills' punter got hit, the Colt was blocked into him. When the Colts' punter got hit, the Bill was not blocked into him.

It was very curious officiating indeed.

Really happy with a quality win over a quality opponent. That being said Jerry Hughes as good as he is is gonna cost us games with his boneheaded penalties. There was no reason for his personal foul on the QB. That could have gone really bad.

This is a trademark of Ryan's teams, undisciplined stupid penalties. He should make it a point of emphasis with this staff this week. No way we get away with it next week against the Cheatriots**

C

Wasn't that Preston Brown?

Agreed. That was a 40 yard call that simply can't happen in a game this important.

Did anyone actually see the facemask on the Colts' fumble play?

On the replay it looked like a severe facemask on the ball carrier (head twisted back) just before the hit that caused the fumble. Correct call in my opinion. The no call on running into Schmidt was ok because the player was blocked into him The chop block and running into the kicker on the Bills seemed to be BS.

1) Big time props to Preston Brown. Did you see that pass defense with 1 minute left in the 3rd quarter? This from a player who is thought of as primarily a run defender. The Colts had to waste a timeout after the play. This matters, and count me in as a huge fan of this kid.

2) Big time shout out to our kickers and special teams. They made a difference in a huge way. Carpenter came through despite the concerns. Dontcha love it?!

3) I dedicate this post and this game to the Bills Fan who took his own life at RWS last night. I wish he could have seen this, and pray that he did.

4) Gilmore played the best game of his career imo. He was all over his man and was able to get his hand in numerous times. It was just freaking great to see.

5) The OL needs to improve. Glenn had 2 holds and I wanted to see bigger holes on running plays.

6) Let's focus on Tyrod for a moment. This kid, in his first NFL start, took over the game, and he did so against ANDREW LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!! He was poised, smart, and accurate. Call me insane, but I think that my favorite play was the one where he was calm enough to bat down the deflected pass. A mistake could have cost us a touchdown and yes, the game. Wait until he REALLY takes off and runs! His potential has few limits.

7) Goddamn, well I declare,

Have you seen the like?

Their walls are built of cannonballs,

their motto is Don't Tread on Me!!!!!!

Come... hear, Uncle John's Band,

by the riverside.

Got some things to talk about,

here, beside the rising tide.

8) Neither Corbin Bryant nor Kyle Williams showed up that much in the stats today. That said, they both did their jobs!!!!! Kyle provided pressure and looked fresh. Bryant moved well and was in on quite a few tackles. When Marcel comes back, this is going to be fun to watch!

9) Nickell Robey is a winner. Period.

10) Percy Harvin is a mismatch with two legs. If he can keep his head on straight, he can win us football games.

11) Sack totals notwithstanding, I am 100% thrilled that Rex blitzed all day. It took pressure off the secondary and enabled them to make plays.

12) Are we still worried about Darby? This was probably one of the best games ever played by a rookie corner in his first game in the post rule change era.

13) I have a feeling that we will be seeing a lot of Karlos Williams. We need someone to compliment McCoy with that downhill style.

14) I'm proud to be a member of this community. We truly do deserve days like this.

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice synopsis, Bill. And i agree Williams Karlos Williams deserved a shout out. Good correction.

I agree with every single point, except potentially the blitzing. There were situations that I thought a 4 man rush was in order, but it was mostly effective.

Preston Brown is an animal. Dude lays the wood like a champ. Love this team, love this defense, proud to be a Bills fan, and always have been.

On the replay it looked like a severe facemask on the ball carrier (head twisted back) just before the hit that caused the fumble. Correct call in my opinion. The no call on running into Schmidt was ok because the player was blocked into him The chop block and running into the kicker on the Bills seemed to be BS.

I'll have to go back and watch it but I saw the shoulder pad get grabbed on the replay. Then again, I was (and am) a little drunk.

Google "Rex Ryan penalties".

This isn't going to change any time soon.

Last year the Jets were the 20th worst in the league.

The year before they had the 12 most.

In 2012 they had the fourth least.

Accusation: Fail.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/index.php?view=total&year=2012

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I agree with every single point, except potentially the blitzing. There were situations that I thought a 4 man rush was in order, but it was mostly effective.

I worried about that a bit too. Our defensive backs were outstanding today though so the the front end and the backend were in sequence. If the backend had struggled more they would have had to dial back some of the blitzes I think.

Is there anybody besides me that feels we were getting hosed by BS Ref penalties in second half?? I am tired of these BS calls that always go against us.

Completely agree. It actually started in the first half on that bogus chop block call. But the second half was ridiculous. It was like they had been told by someone to get the Colts back into the game.

The 2 WRs crossing, in a natural pick type pattern, that the Colts scored the first TD on left the WR wide open in the end zone. The next team we face uses that formation more than anyone. I sure hope Rex figures out how to stop that route.

Edited by Dan

I wonder if the blitzing will be less frequent with Dareus in.

I suspect no - Ryan uses blitzing as part of his "controlled chaos" to disguise the pass rush. But it's a possibility.

I think it'll change game to game, but Dareus allows them to get pressure up the gut without blitzing. Then again, the only way to beat Br*dy (besides playing by the rules) is to pressure him in his face. It wouldn't shock me to see a bunch of Preston blitzing up the gut.

But for three straight years they haven't been bad, and two of them they were one of the better teams. You said "google Rex Ryan penalties" and I did and it was the opposite.

Talk about cherry picking.

9th in 2009

6th in 2010

21st in 2011

Edited by FireChan

I worried about that a bit too. Our defensive backs were outstanding today though so the the front end and the backend were in sequence. If the backend had struggled more they would have had to dial back some of the blitzes I think.

I think that the secondary caught some breaks because Luck had to get the ball away earlier than he would have liked to, especially on the play where nobody blocked Mario.

Luck is a great qb. He will dominate this season. And we beat him!!!!!!!!! :):) :)

The 2 WRs crossing, in a natural pick type pattern, that the Colts scored the first TD on left the WR wide open in the end zone. The next team we face uses that formation more than anyone. I sure hope Rex figures out how to stop that route.

I was reading that AW and Nigel reamed Rambo because he didn't know his role in the play.

I wonder if the blitzing will be less frequent with Dareus in.

I suspect no - Ryan uses blitzing as part of his "controlled chaos" to disguise the pass rush. But it's a possibility.

That was my thought. I hope with Dareus we can scale back the blitzing significantly. Fortunately, the DB's didn't miss many tackles today since they were often out there alone on the stop. One freak play changes the complexion of things sometimes.

PS - Thanks Bill, a few decades have gone by where I apparently had some words wrong in the lyrics in my head. Ooops!

Edited by Augie

Talk about cherry picking.

9th in 2009

6th in 2010

21st in 2011

Cherry picking? I looked at the last year. Then the next. Then before that. You ignore the last three years and accuse me of cherry picking? You're just an idiot. DC was right. ;)

Unless you think that 4-6 years ago is a better indicator than 1-3.

Cherry picking? I looked at the last year. Then the next. Then before that. You ignore the last three years and accuse me of cherry picking? You're just an idiot. DC was right. ;)

Unless you think that 4-6 years ago is a better indicator than 1-3.

I didn't ignore them. You posted them upthread. I filled in the gaps, two of which were terrible years.

I was reading that AW and Nigel reamed Rambo because he didn't know his role in the play.

Maybe it was Rambo, but AW and Nigel both ended up standing there holding hands while dude scored easily. Either way, I really hope, they figure out how to cover that because it's coming plenty.