1 target for Watkins

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game by our team and happy with the win. With that said as an OC you should go into a game trying to get the ball into the hands of your best players, regardless of matchup. Watkins was used as a decoy and garded by Davis the whole game, but its simply unacceptable to not even look his way.

Its very acceptable when you win.

Tribute to the great Marrone/Hackett offensive juggernaut.

Seriously though, without seeing the all 22, I assume Sammy was doubled by Davis and some safety. Percy ran wild today. It's going to happen like that sometimes with our offense. Sammy blocked like a boss today and we won by two scores. Not worried about this at all right now.

Rex said in his presses that Sammy was upbeat and just excited about the win, players are about the team. This game he didn't get the stats, but other games he will and someone else won't

Great game by our team and happy with the win. With that said as an OC you should go into a game trying to get the ball into the hands of your best players, regardless of matchup. Watkins was used as a decoy and garded by Davis the whole game, but its simply unacceptable to not even look his way.

Did you just criticize our OC for his gameplan today? What game did you watch? So he had our rookie QB not go after a top 2 CB in the league in his first start? And you complain lol

They should try to win... Oh wait they did. Hey if you want to force a throw to Watkins and have it get intercepted then go ahead.

I feel like there's, perhaps, some middle outcome between winning and targeting Sammy and getting intercepted

I love the win, but hate the "if you question anything it would've been a loss" attitude sometimes

I feel like there's, perhaps, some middle outcome between winning and targeting Sammy and getting intercepted

I love the win, but hate the "if you question anything it would've been a loss" attitude sometimes

I agree. And I wasn't thrilled with all of the clear-out patterns Sammy was running. We saw that last year. Get the guy the ball near the LOS and let him do his thing. You have a playmaker like that - use him.

Two targets from what I remember. Sammy will have a good day next week because NE has no Vontae Davis caliber CB.

I agree, but it shouldn't matter with a player like Sammy. I'm not saying that we need to force the ball to him but he can't be so invisible like he was today.

Maybe he wasn't open..

This team is most lethal when the QB is noticing the mismatches and going to one of our highly skilled players against an opponent not as highly skilled, The Colts had one great CB who shadowed Watkins. It's only a problem if the offense is not working to not go to your playmakers. Other teams don't have the luxury of that shutdown corner. I wasn't concerned at all about Sammy.

This team is most lethal when the QB is noticing the mismatches and going to one of our highly skilled players against an opponent not as highly skilled, The Colts had one great CB who shadowed Watkins. It's only a problem if the offense is not working to not go to your playmakers. Other teams don't have the luxury of that shutdown corner. I wasn't concerned at all about Sammy.

Mixed feelings. I'd be curious how many calls were designed for him as a primary read.

Even against a top corner he should get plenty of calls to him. If they fall on plays where he's blanketed, so be it, look to 2- but he should be a focus even against top competition.

I suspect he will be over the long haul though. And we knew with 4-5 guys needing touches in the passing games that week to week who gets the most targets should rotate. At least he was losing targets to Percy, and clay- not lee smith and hogan.

Edited by NoSaint

Yep. To top it off I'll take Sammy having zero receptions all year if it means 16-0!

Even against a top corner he should get plenty of calls to him. If they fall on plays where he's blanketed, so be it, look to 2- but he should be a focus even against top competition.

Vontae is one of the best corners in the league. Right up there with Sherman and Revis. I'm not too concerned that they game planned away from him and let other guys make plays. They could have kept trying to throw in his direction like Luck did vs. Gilmore only to get pass after pass batted down and two completions slipped in.

Mixed feelings. I'd be curious how many calls were designed for him as a primary read.

I suspect he will be over the long haul though. And we knew with 4-5 guys needing touches in the passing games that week to week who gets the most targets should rotate. At least he was losing targets to Percy, and clay- not lee smith and hogan.

It's way different if the offense is not working. But it was.

Yep. To top it off I'll take Sammy having zero receptions all year if it means 16-0!

Vontae is one of the best corners in the league. Right up there with Sherman and Revis. I'm not too concerned that they game planned away from him and let other guys make plays. They could have kept trying to throw in his direction like Luck did vs. Gilmore only to get pass after pass batted down and two completions slipped in.

Yes the object of the game is to win.......Sammy is gonna get his this year its coming

Amen. IMO, the best time to discuss weaknesses in the game is after a win; it's a lot less whining at that point and just good football discussion. But not around here.

Watkins was my #1 fantasy WR. :angry:

Really?? There are way too many weapons on this team for Watkins to be a WR1 in fantasy points.

I agree, but it shouldn't matter with a player like Sammy. I'm not saying that we need to force the ball to him but he can't be so invisible like he was today.

He could have easily had a TD catch today if TT hadn't overthrown him. In the over all scheme of things it doesn't matter in this convincing win. IMO of course.