Brady's suspension lifted

YoloinOhio

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what I find most puzzling. This ruling just compromised CBA's at every level, in every industry. Am I wrong?

Not quite. The NFL's CBA is different, because the disciplinary section is almost complete bull ****. This decision is just another in a series of decisions whereby the NFLPA is trying to fix the mess they didn't negotiate.

This is like the OJ case to me. Clear to pretty much everyone that he did it and the authorities botched so many things up that they let him off on a series of technicalities.

I will have to see what the actual ruling is though and what the legal minds explain.

The OJ case had jury nullification. This one didn't. Big difference.

Not quite. The NFL's CBA is different, because the disciplinary section is almost complete bull ****. This decision is just another in a series of decisions whereby the NFLPA is trying to fix the mess they didn't negotiate.

That was precisely my read on this. They let these things go during the lockout in favor of things they DID want. But that's not how negotiations work!?

(meaning you can't double back)

Edited by The Big Cat

this isnt about whether he did it - its about his legal teams interpretation of the cba and the judge seemingly agreeing with their points.

So, theres officially no punishment allowed for cheating, because the CBA is vague or there is no precedent?

Will play vs Steelers but if NFL appeals Buffalo will be first game of his suspension, correct??

No. Appeals process could take months. Any actual suspension would happen either later in the season or potentially the post season.

The OJ case had jury nullification. This one didn't. Big difference.

That doesn't enter into my analogy though. It's very clear he cheated. It's very clear the authorities overplayed their power and botched the aftermath a few if not several different ways and the end result is a guilty person getting away with something not based on guilt but on mistakes made that were unnecessary.

Anyone else so sick of all of this? It's over, move on. If the Bills really want to be legitimate, beat the Pats with Brady at QB. Cheaters gonna cheat, haters gonna hate, and players gonna play. Let's take this division the right way, by beating the tar out our division rivals. He might be able to play now because of the ruling, but hopefully our defense will make him second guess that decision when he's pulling his teeth off the turf at the Ralph! Smile now pretty boy, Karma will get ya eventually!

Cossack is one of the best legal minds around. He basically said the CBA gave Goodell leeway with punishment, Berman just said, basically, that's not fair. Regardless of the process, the bungling, and whatever else the NFL may have done, it appears all was within the CBA's language. So this ruling appears to suggest that this and many other collectively bargained agreements that allow punishment to be meted out by management, even when there is no guidelines for the punishment are unfair and the power granted isn't fair. Seems like a major win for those with CBAs in any industry. We'll see what the appeal says.

Having not read the CBA or the opinion I can't comment on the legal aspect, but I think the outcome is just for 2 reasons:

1. "More likely than not" is a bull **** standard for imposing penalties.

2. Underinflating footballs isn't that big of a deal.

That is not at all what the judge ruled on. If he did then he went way out of his jurisdiction and his ruling should be immediately overturned.

That doesn't enter into my analogy though. It's very clear he cheated. It's very clear the authorities overplayed their power and botched the aftermath a few if not several different ways and the end result is a guilty person getting away with something not based on guilt but on mistakes made that were unnecessary.

I didn't think all that many mistakes were made in the OJ case. I think it came down to a runaway jury (Christ, one of the members gave Cochran the black power salute when the ruling went down).

This is the greatest thing that could happen for us. Our team is going to feed off the crowd as we boo him louder than we ever have at the Ralph. He might have the worst performance of his life. I guarantee it

I hope they break him in half. I don't even care if they win the game...I just want Brady to leave that game wishing he'd been suspended instead.

I also hope that Rex, every time the Pats fumble or throw an interception, insists the player bring the ball to the sideline, and ostentatiously checks it with a pressure gauge. Just to !@#$ with Brady's head.

Brady and the Patriots still cheated and attempted to cover it up. I'm not surprised Brady got out of being punished because of how terrible the CBA is worded. Maybe some day the NFL will get their procedures corrected.

Here's to hoping every stadium Brady and the Patriots visit this year give them hell.

The remaining question is whether you interpret this as mostly a Goodell loss or mostly a Brady/Pats victory. My sense is that this is in all cases a loss for Goodell (and ironically a win for the NFLPA).

As far as the Pats, if you live in Boston or its media market this is a clear vindication of the Pats and Brady.

However, for the other 95+% of the rest of folks who care at all, the asterisk behind the Pats record lives. It lives primarily because of videotape gate. In addition, though Brady gets off Scott-free, Kraft and the Pats are on record having accepted a million dollar fine and loss of some draft picks due to the initial NFL ruling finding that the Pats as an institution (the Pats employers who spirited the footballs into a restroom and emerging with all the balls except for the one used for kicks being deflated to below league standards).

Brady has been vindicated, but Bellicheat and the Pats have not.

The two asterisks live.

There is still one more appeal- let's see how the fumble rate regresses back to the mean from extraordinarily better than all teams now that they are being watched.

And by the way GOOD... I want Brady to be one of the azzes the kick in a few weeks.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I thought he would get it cut to two games. I'm not upset about it. I want to beat the Pats with him playing in week 2 so we can really show our progress. Bring it

And when he tears us to shreds like he always does? Nah, no thanks, I'd rather have faced Garoppolo.

I didn't think all that many mistakes were made in the OJ case. I think it came down to a runaway jury (Christ, one of the members gave Cochran the black power salute when the ruling went down).

I agree the main reason was the mostly black jury. But they let him go when they never ever should have because of all kinds of big and small mistakes, that opened up little windows of doubt (for them).