What's with the bell after first downs?

Finally had a chance to sit down and watch the tape of the Bills/Steelers game. When did they start ringing a boxing/wrestling bell after every Bills conversion to a first down?

I didn't hear it while at the stadium and I don't remember it from the Panthers game. It sort of grated on me and I found it quite annoying. Maybe I'll quickly develop a Pavlovian reaction to it, just wondering if you noticed and do you give it an "aye" or "nay."

I'll have to re-watch that and listen for it. It was the Buffalo local feed - correct? Maybe they're trying to spice things up like the orange 50 yd marker and the 1st & 10 technology. What's next - blue halo-highlighted footballs so we can see it in the air a-la what the NHL did with hockey pucks?

Was it my imagination or were they also doing the train noise indiscriminately (constantly) - I thought that was previously reserved for 3rd down?

One more loud obnoxious sensory bomb inside that stadium. When I did a stadium experience survey sometime this summer, I basically slammed the audio/video experience. The constant wall of sounds turned up to 11 is just not necessary. This is how you know it's too loud.... when you hear the same thing twice because the sounds travels entirely across the stadium and bounces back. They have everything turned up so the speakers behind the 300 levels can be heard in the opposite 300 levels. Too damn loud.

I liked both the whistle and the bell. I watched the game in my recliner so maybe it's better if you're not actually at the game listening to them in your ear.

I'd rather have the train whistle than a player on the jumbo-tron directly telling me it's third down and that I need to make noise. Stadiums with lesser (disinterested) fan bases really have to work to remind the crowd to participate. In some instances- Miami, Dallas- it's really bad.

I'd rather have the train whistle than a player on the jumbo-tron directly telling me it's third down and that I need to make noise. Stadiums with lesser (disinterested) fan bases really have to work to remind the crowd to participate. In some instances- Miami, Dallas- it's really bad.

Jags have a jaguar growl every 1st down. The only reason I know that is from Madden. Haven't seen a first down from them on tv.

Edited by The Wiz

They were blowing the locomotive horn while the Steelers were in the huddle on first and second downs. I would think that that would be an Atlanta type noise violation.

I can agree with the locomotive horn occasionally on BIG third down attempts, but all game all the time? come on man.

I went to a Arizona Cardinals game last year and was thoroughly annoyed with the artificial noise and constant crowd shots etc. No one else seemed to mind but it drove me nuts. Unfortunately I think that's the future of sporting events.

I think they should play a squidgy sound and the Janiking video after every first down.

And nothing is worth then the "ohhh ohhhh ohhhhhh ohhhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" White Stripes 7 nation army overplayed song.

Edited by Boyst62

Finally had a chance to sit down and watch the tape of the Bills/Steelers game. When did they start ringing a boxing/wrestling bell after every Bills conversion to a first down?

I didn't hear it while at the stadium and I don't remember it from the Panthers game. It sort of grated on me and I found it quite annoying. Maybe I'll quickly develop a Pavlovian reaction to it, just wondering if you noticed and do you give it an "aye" or "nay."

They've been doing the bell for years now, not sure when it started though....But they could use a change...

One more loud obnoxious sensory bomb inside that stadium. When I did a stadium experience survey sometime this summer, I basically slammed the audio/video experience. The constant wall of sounds turned up to 11 is just not necessary. This is how you know it's too loud.... when you hear the same thing twice because the sounds travels entirely across the stadium and bounces back. They have everything turned up so the speakers behind the 300 levels can be heard in the opposite 300 levels. Too damn loud.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although someone may say it's my age talking - I am 55 and like Fred a YOUNG 55!! :o) I like my music loud and enjoy a wide range of it, but the noise at the game makes it very difficult to talk to your neighbor without screaming and impossible to talk to someone two seats over! I wish they'd turn it down or turn it off. I may start bringing ear plugs.