RB Fred Jackson released

FireChan

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People forget so easily. Thurman Thomas was released when he was 34...why should Fred be insulated from the same fate? Emmitt Smith played in Arizona for two years.

Yes, that part is frustrating...I do think that the logical side of you sees the difference at some level.

Though I certainly reserve the right not to be happy about it.

Good call on Thurman.

As Herb Brooks stated " we're not after the best players, we're after the right ones." That is why Mulligan is here.

i think they really like Karlos

If the choice was Karlos vs Freddie, then you must take Karlos, but there are still 6 rbs on the roster... So this must be a "see if you can get a larger role elsewhere" move?

Also now maybe that drive vs Pittsburgh with 3 consecutive touches for the TD was his intentional swan song.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

Not knowing anything, I have to think that the injury he suffered played a part in this. His legs have been pretty banged up the past couple of years - that stuff takes its toll, especially with regard to speed. He's not going to get any faster, but he may well get slower.

No question. It just sucks. I understand it I just don't like it. A major part of that is an emotional response more than rational. But I also believe that emotional leaders are glue on great teams. That's why I think if they keep four. Fred should have been one of the four. If it's three, like most teams, then I am on board with it.

OK, I love Fred Jackson as much as anyone else does. He earned that, playing so hard for mediocre coaches and mediocre teams. I wanted to see him play in a playoff game. Well really I wanted to see him play in a home playoff game the Bills won. But Moses didn't get there either.

I figure the coaches have been looking at Fred and the other RBs and all the other players for months, and they've seen enough that Fred is just not the same guy he used to be. Fred from 5 years ago makes this team, I'm quite sure. Today's Fred (and next year's Fred) aren't as good. So they're getting the roster in shape both for the last preseason game, and for the regular season, and they made a tough call.

This says to me that McCoy and the other injured RBs are actually close to healed, if not actually ready now.

If the choice was Karlos vs Freddie, then you must take Karlos, but there are still 6 rbs on the roster... So this must be a "see if you can get a larger role elsewhere" move?

yes, they want to give him time to latch on elsewhere. Vets like him always released as early as possible.

That was a great run but the field was wide open...many RBs would have recognized the hole. It was huge!!

Tell that to spiller.

Freddie was never the feature back bc what he has was intangible. He was the best player this team has had this millennium and he should still be on the team

Exactly. They're giving Freddie a chance to land somewhere else. If he's one of the last RBs cut, he'll have a slimmer chance of cashing in elsewhere.

All the best Fred, you'll always be a legend here.

Thanks for everything #22! What a classy guy and always seemed to gain positive yards even behind horrible offensive lines. I'm so disappointed he never tasted the playoffs with us. :(

That being said, this can be seen as a good sign, this team actually has enough RB depth to cut a guy like Fred Jackson. Personally, I was hoping he would be our Jerome Bettis-type guy to get the tough yards, 3rd-down outlet and blitz pickup. However, he did look slow on his run on Saturday and there is just so much talent at RB on this team this year.

Also now maybe that drive vs Pittsburgh with 3 consecutive touches for the TD was his intentional swan song.

thats part of the timing factor. a guy like fred, if you feel like you know the move 100%, you do it a little early.

as to the pitt game -- i dont think it was any more than fred got a big gainer, and we wanted to pound it in. i doubt they gameplanned it to happen that way as a tribute type of moment.

If he ends up on the Pats, how will people react? Will they root for him? (Side note: I doubt he ends up on the Pats even though he's had so many great games against them over the years.)

It will be like when TT went to the Dolphins. I will wish him all the best with them and I hope we stuff his ass when we play them.

Look for Freddy to be brought back after his playing days are over.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll bet!

great 3rd down back, best blocking RB, and fast enough to outrun most of that steelers secondary for 41 yards.Locker room leader, team leader

Its stuff like this that I just don't get because it sure didn't look like the guy hit the wall to me.

Agree with everything you said except the part about being a great 3rd down back. Freddie was good at a lot of things, but short yardage 3rd down situations and goal line situations were not among them. His running style was not suited to those situations and he repeatedly got stuffed. Love Freddie as a player and I believe he still has something left in the tank for whoever picks him up. I don't expect it to take too long for him to find a new team.

A team with a 15-year playoff drought can't get caught up in keeping "emotional leaders" on the roster when they're trying to build a winning football team.

How many snaps per game was Fred going to see, presuming Shady and Karlos are healthy? No special teams.

I really, truly get it that fans are upset -- Freddy is an all-time Bill. But some perspective, please.

This move has nothing to do with Bryce Brown and/or Whaley's ego.

We all liked the guy, BUT I actually like that the team understands the importance of letting the nice guy go in favor of a more damaging weapon.

It's a business and hard decisions have to be made. It's good to see they are able to make decisions independent of emotions.

I doubt this move made anyone feel good. However, keeping all the old favorites around won't get Buffalo to the Supoerbowl.

This isn't about letting old favorites go, this is about letting your leading RB of last season go who iswas clearly still the best RB on the roster after Shady.

It is very possible Roman and/or Anthony Lynn did not think he was worth keeping compared to the others and made that recommendation to Whaley, who saw the opportunity to grab some cap for his young stars he is trying to sign. Maybe Rex isn't the villain.

So that would continue Rex's MO of blaming others for his team's roster decisions. Cool.

A team with a 15-year playoff drought can't get caught up in keeping "emotional leaders" on the roster when they're trying to build a winning football team.

How many snaps per game was Fred going to see, presuming Shady and Karlos are healthy? No special teams.

I really, truly get it that fans are upset -- Freddy is an all-time Bill. But some perspective, please.

This move has nothing to do with Bryce Brown and/or Whaley's ego.

How's that going?

No question. It just sucks. I understand it I just don't like it. A major part of that is an emotional response more than rational. But I also believe that emotional leaders are glue on great teams. That's why I think if they keep four. Fred should have been one of the four. If it's three, like most teams, then I am on board with it.

i wouldnt be surprised if they keep 3.

but with 4, if karlos and boobie are gameday actives in order to get special teams reps, and spot touches/goal line, and the 4th guy is an inactive but pops up as primary back up in case of injury (brown) it seems like a better fit than fred in that role still. both on the field, and in the cap. just tossing out a possible scenario on 4 men where fred isnt the answer.

you are "hoping Karlos Williams will let a lot of fans down?" Mark your words? What kind of post is this?

Unlike you Yolo, I call them like I see them. I've been doing it for years on this board and correctly. I actually watch college football and can tell you that Karlos is an average RB. So I'm saying, mark my words, Karlos, besides beating woman also sucks on the football field and this move will be a bad one for the Bills. What are you not getting exactly?

My favorite player... I'm very sad to see this.I actually kind of teared up a little but I understand this is business and the way things work in the N.F.L.If you just bought a Fred Jackson jersey don't feel bad it's a jersey you can wear proudly for years to come.I trust this front office and coaching staff I'm sure they had good reason to make this move...Thanks Fred

Unlike you Yolo, I call them like I see them. I've been doing it for years on this board and correctly. I actually watch college football and can tell you that Karlos is an average RB. So I'm saying, mark my words, Karlos, besides beating woman also sucks on the football field and this move will be a bad one for the Bills. What are you not getting exactly?

that you flat out said that you "hope that he lets fans down" which is a pretty terrible comment. far different than "i dont think that he will succeed"

I don't think there will still be 6 RB on the roster after the cut-down to 53. I think you called it - it's a "cut early to see if you can catch on elsewhere" move. The class thing, which none of us yet know if it happened, would be to call Fred and say "Fred, we don't see a place for you on the 53. That being the case, what would you prefer? We could retire you as a Bill. We could hang onto you in case someone else is injured before the cut to 53. Or we could cut you early and give you the best chance to catch on elsewhere". So hopefully he made his choice and said "I think I can still play, give me my best shot at that".

Fred can't play anymore. Any random RB off the street can perform better than him.

I know most of you can't admit this to yourselves because you are too emotional and/or you aren't capable of evaluating football talent - but it's obvious.

Wish him the best, though.

Lousy troll attempt or sour FO poster? Fred was still the #2 RB on the team.

you are "hoping" he lets us down? That was what you posted, and that is what I do not get. Why would you hope he fails? He's on our team.

What's with the insult? "Unlike you, Yolo, I call them like I see them" Huh?

Edited by YoloinOhio