What five teams do you think took a step backwards?

frogger

SF for sure

Iggles - dumping top talent 2 seasons straight

Denver - Peyton can't last much longer

Cheaters are Tarnished and the refs have to be leery of then I hope

Was Cleveland good enough to actually take a step back?

i think Hoyer for McCown is a step back. We shall see. And I don't love Hoyer, but I think he's a better QB than McCown. Especially now that their OL will be back at full strength and presumably their running game.

They also let Buster Skrine, a starting CB, and pass rusher Jabaal Sheard, as well as Jordan Cameron, leave in FA. I am not sure they will be adequately replaced. Josh Gordon will be going from playing in 5 games last year to 0 this year. Tashaun Gipson is squawking about signing his RFA tender, who knows if he will pull a Byrd and sit out with a boo boo

Edited by YoloinOhio

SF for sure

Iggles - dumping top talent 2 seasons straight

Denver - Peyton can't last much longer

Cheaters are Tarnished and the refs have to be leery of then I hope

Was Cleveland good enough to actually take a step back?

I think Cleveland has a real shot at getting next year's number one pick. Edited by frogger

1. SF - and it's not even close

Others that have had notable net losses (in no particular order):

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

New Orleans

Denver (thanks to losing their LT)

Detroit

Cleveland (if Josh Gordon's suspension is included)

Here is a link for some team by team info:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2474992-recapping-every-teams-key-additions-and-losses

Edited by BarleyNY

1. SF for sure, they went from one of the NFC favorites to a team that probably won't make the playoffs.

2. I think NO has been moving in the wrong direction the last couple of years as well. Some people picked them to win the Super Bowl before last year and we saw how that turned out.

3. Philly either took a big step back or a big leap forward, nobody understands what the heck Chip is doing but maybe that's because he is a genius and we just haven't seen the results yet.

4. I think Peyton is playing his last season in Denver. They just don't have the talent to win for him so they will need to start over after this.

5. And lastly, the team with the least amount of talent in the AFC East, the Super Bowl Champion* Patriots****. Their defense looks terrible this year, especially their secondary

Edited by kdiggz

SF is the clear #1

New England

Philly

Cleveland

Detroit

Last one was tough to choose. Detroit lost Suh and Fairley, which I think is hugh. Ngata can't replace both and is older. Their run defense will suffer. Stafford needs a reliable defense.

Philly had some lateral moves or upgrades in some areas, but it comes down to Bradford mostly. If he works in Chip's system, they will be the same.

Edited by Big C

I see a lot of New Orleans on here. I actually think that they are going in the other direction. Their defense was historically bad and they added a few pieces (plus Dennis Allen). They will improve.

The offense improved as well IMO. The line added a Pro Bowler (Unger) & a 1st (Peat). They will be a great unit (at least should be). They will be able to pound it with Ingram and then get the ball to Spiller and Cooks in space. If Cooks stays healthy he catches 100+ balls this year. They have some other young guys that are talented.

Remember this team had a losing record a year ago. I do not see the record worse than last year (if healthy). All that they lost was Graham and to be honest he did not have a very good year by his standards.

1 .Patriots - loss of Brady, lack of drive due to Superbowl win and weak secondary.

2. San Francisco - lost to many people including the coach.

3. Dallas- Weak Defense and loss of Demarco Murray.

4. Denver - Peyton on last leg and loss of LT will be felt, by Manning. LOL

5. Cinny- Loss to Buffalo costs them last playoff spot.

They got the Legend. Legend of Kiko that is.

Well, and Murray, though time will tell if that really gets them more than they had with Shady.

To me they have a net drain of talent since Chip arrived. If it were the Bills people would be calling us a dumpster fire.

1. SF - and it's not even close

Others that have had notable net losses (in no particular order):

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

New Orleans

Denver (thanks to losing their LT)

Detroit

Cleveland (if Josh Gordon's suspension is included)

Here is a link for some team by team info:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2474992-recapping-every-teams-key-additions-and-losses

I think Piitsburg and Baltimore too, but, they always seem to replenish well. That is until they don't. Maybe Baltimore has lost too much over the years. I also don't think Tomlin is as good as Cowher was so we may continue to see them not replenish with ease.

I think Piitsburg and Baltimore too, but, they always seem to replenish well. That is until they don't. Maybe Baltimore has lost too much over the years. I also don't think Tomlin is as good as Cowher was so we may continue to see them not replenish with ease.

Eh, I still think they both have solid rosters. Pittsburgh's secondary is suspect, but losing Polamalu isn't such a big deal - the guy was long past his peak. As long as Big Ben, Brown and Bell do their thing, they will be in it.

Baltimore's success will come down to whether or not Forsett can remain productive and if their new draftees Perriman and Williams can get involved right away.

These franchises have just been too consistent to count against. Tomlin might not be as good as Cowher, but he also has never endured a losing season at the helm. Thank Big Ben for that too, sure.

I agree on the coaches. I wonder if the HGH testing is making it harder for some of these teams to replenish their rosters. For example there are a lot of rumors - and facts - out of Pittsburgh, including former team doctor Rydze, Worlids, etc.

Eh, I still think they both have solid rosters. Pittsburgh's secondary is suspect, but losing Polamalu isn't such a big deal - the guy was long past his peak. As long as Big Ben, Brown and Bell do their thing, they will be in it.

Baltimore's success will come down to whether or not Forsett can remain productive and if their new draftees Perriman and Williams can get involved right away.

These franchises have just been too consistent to count against. Tomlin might not be as good as Cowher, but he also has never endured a losing season at the helm. Thank Big Ben for that too, sure.

I took the question as which teams took the biggest step back this offseason. Big Ben has covered a lot of issues on that team along with Brown. But they lost a lot on defense this offseason: Polamalu, Worlids, Kiesel and both starting CBs (even if they weren't great). The offense only lost Lance Moore so that will keep them competitive and they'll still do ok as a team because of it, but that defense just took a big hit. I did not care much for their draft so I don't see much help there.

1. Patriots. To be fair, any SB winning team is almost assuredly going to take a step back. The other teams go after their UFAs, and the players are looking to cash in on their rings.

However, the Pats secondary is, in every way, a self-induced dumpster fire. Not only did they lose their #1 and 2 DBs, by not even trying to keep them, they released their #3. They got: a 2nd round reach S who is 3rd string on their depth chart, and a 7th round CB who is 2nd string, in the draft. They had JAGs and practice squad promotions. Now, UDFAs, and street free agents comprise their options. Unless they want to get ripped off in a trade, or find another team's miscreant/trouble maker == get lucky? They have no choice but to play zone most of the year, and do very little blitzing.

This is why drafting a true cover CB is never a bad thing. IF the Pats* win at all, they will beat the O/U every time. Scores of 42-35, etc. Brady will have to average 3 TDs per game when he comes back. I am just as sure Brady can do it, as I am sure Garappolo cannot, which is why the Pats could easily be looking at 1-3(Steelers home, Bills away, Jags home, Cowboys away) when Brady gets back. Imagine if they lose to the Jags. :sick:

This era's Pats team, after winning a SB, probably starting a season at 1-3 if the Brady suspension holds. :blink: How is that not the biggest step back?

2. Eagles. Philly is black and white. Either Kelly is right, or he has destroyed a talented team due to sheer ego. This could easily be #1...or not belong on this list at all. We'll see.

3. Cleveland. Due to the resources blown on things like Manziel, and others, after a brief stint at getting better, they are back to self-inflicting the "Factory of Sadness". :lol: That's the thing: this is psychological as much as anything. Pettine may be able to overcome it. But, no other coach has in 20 years.

4. SF. They lost a lot. However, like Pittsburgh and Baltimore, can you ever expect a 2-14 season from them? It's hard to put them above Cleveland(see: Factory of Sadness)

5. You can put a lot of people here, and others have already listed them.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

I agree on the coaches. I wonder if the HGH testing is making it harder for some of these teams to replenish their rosters. For example there are a lot of rumors - and facts - out of Pittsburgh, including former team doctor Rydze, Worlids, etc.

I took the question as which teams took the biggest step back this offseason. Big Ben has covered a lot of issues on that team along with Brown. But they lost a lot on defense this offseason: Polamalu, Worlids, Kiesel and both starting CBs (even if they weren't great). The offense only lost Lance Moore so that will keep them competitive and they'll still do ok as a team because of it, but that defense just took a big hit. I did not care much for their draft so I don't see much help there.

The Pittsburgh secondary is certainly suspect, but they have been drafting defense lately and we'll see how it pans out. Shazier look strong early last year but ended up getting hurt. Jarvis Jones has certainly underachieved, though. Pittsburgh's strategy while their defense is rebuilding seems to be to win in a shootout. Their offense has real firepower right now. Their schedule last year benefitted them because they got to play teams that struggled to put up points consistently (Atlanta, KC, Tennessee, Jacksonville) and even those games were close. Meanwhile, they blow out Indy, Baltimore and Cincy. It was hard to get a good read on them last year.

I see a lot of New Orleans on here. I actually think that they are going in the other direction. Their defense was historically bad and they added a few pieces (plus Dennis Allen). They will improve.

The offense improved as well IMO. The line added a Pro Bowler (Unger) & a 1st (Peat). They will be a great unit (at least should be). They will be able to pound it with Ingram and then get the ball to Spiller and Cooks in space. If Cooks stays healthy he catches 100+ balls this year. They have some other young guys that are talented.

Remember this team had a losing record a year ago. I do not see the record worse than last year (if healthy). All that they lost was Graham and to be honest he did not have a very good year by his standards.

Agreed. They also lost an ungodly number of games in the final two minutes last year. I don't think they are super bowl favorites but I think they are moving back the right way.

I'll give a twist since we are starting to get the usual and obvious options pretty well covered: are there any teams that are hot picks to take the next step that you think crumble (see bears, 2014 or maybe Atlanta after that year they won like 8 games in last second plays)-- kind of the most overrated squad instead of the obvious falls.

SF obviously lost a ton- but throwing some names out like Dallas, our own team, maybe Carolina with their franchise qb, does Indy stumble after beating up a soft schedule.... Arizona? Any playoff contenders you see picking in the top ten?

I'll give a twist since we are starting to get the usual and obvious options pretty well covered: are there any teams that are hot picks to take the next step that you think crumble (see bears, 2014 or maybe Atlanta after that year they won like 8 games in last second plays)-- kind of the most overrated squad instead of the obvious falls.

SF obviously lost a ton- but throwing some names out like Dallas, our own team, maybe Carolina with their franchise qb, does Indy stumble after beating up a soft schedule.... Arizona? Any playoff contenders you see picking in the top ten?

I'll make a bold prediction that Houston wins the division and the Colts will be battling for a wild card next year. I have been a Colts naysayer for a while now and I don't necessarily think that adding Gore and Johnson will help them. Their OL is horrible and I think Gore benefited greatly from Roman and their OL in SF. Johnson is shades of his former self. They have 2 good players on that defense and they play so soft.

Arizona might take a step back after Bowles left. Their defensive roster is a little spotty, but if Palmer plays the whole year they can compete again.

5 down

SF

Denver

New Orleans

New England

Philadelphia

5 up

Baltimore for the sleeper

Buffalo

San Diego

Arizona

Oakland

5 with something to prove

Miami

Atlanta

Detroit

Dallas

Carolina

5 that don't matter

Washington

Houston

Cleveland

St Louis

Minnesota

1. San Francisco 49ers - they are coached by a man who inspires zero confidence with a roster that has been hit by a huge number of big retirements and FA departures. I don't know who is going to play on the line, I don't rate the Quarterback particularly and their defense is a series of ??? They will finish last in a downgraded NFC West.

2. Dallas Cowboys - I didn't buy the hype.... they ran to the play-offs on the back of Demarcus Murray which had the effect of not only taking pressure off Romo (allowing him to have an excellent year) but it kept what I still think is a poor defense off the field. Romo is a year older, Murray is gone Dez is sulking. Back to 8-8 chaps.

3. Arizona Cardinals - they were my sleeper pick for last year because I felt that Bowles aggressive defense would get Palmer the ball in position to win them gams. Palmer after yet another serious injury will take a step back and the defense won't be as good. I am telling you the NFL West is not going to be what I was.

4. New England Patriots - They had the best defense they have had for years in 2014 and it got Brady and Belichick their 4th ring. But they now have a no-name secondary, no names at running back and have suffered losses on the D-Line and potentially have no Tom Brady for the first four games and whilst I wouldn't put any money on it.... 0-4 is quite possible. One brady is back there will be a recovery but missing the play-offs is possible.

5. Cincinnati Bengals - At least they won't have all the "Can Dalton win a play-off game?" drama this year - they won't get there. Dalton will continue to be mediocre and their starting defense is getting older. They won't fall off a cliff but 7-9, 8-8 could finally spell the end for Marvin Lewis.

A few explanations on why I haven't gone with some of the more popular nominations:

New Orleans - were not good last year so I don't see them "stepping back" as such. Another 7-9, 8-8 type season would not surprise me though and I expect them to be more of a run first and play good defense team.

Denver - a bit the same as above. The one thing we know with Kubiak is he can coordinate a running game. They are going to try and win without asking Peyton to throw a whole bunch. The might win a game or so fewer but I still see them in the play-offs.

Philadelphia - they will be the same - they will beat up on poor teams where he out schemes them but they will be found wanting by all the decent teams on their schedule, including Buffalo. They might win 9 games and even get to the play-offs with Dallas dropping back.

The teams I think will do a lot better than some think - Oakland to get to 8-8 and St Louis to have a winning record.