Prediction Time! What Will Tom Brady's Punishment Be?

361 members have voted

1. 1. What will Tom Brady's penalty be for 'Deflategate'?

• No penalty. The NFL will have a meeting with him, and declare the situation resolved.
    • Small to moderate fine. (Less than $500k)
    • Larger fine. ($500k and above)
    • 1-2 game suspension
    • 3 or more game suspension
    • Lifetime ban.

The League will make the Patriots change their name... to the "CHEETAHS!"

(I think that's how you pronounce 'cheaters" with a Boston accent, isn't it?)

Ha ha, I like the idea of hilarious penalties.

How about, Brady is required to dress as Pinocchio and wear a sandwich board that says, "I like to empty balls?" He must do this the day before every road game at the opposing team's stadium.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the league has put itself in a tough position, by giving him a severe punishment, they're basically admitting the super bowl champs are flawed.

Well, they are flawed and we all know it.

Some of us, rightfully so, are skeptical that this has been going on for nearly a decade.

I predict 2 games. In my nightmare scenario, we lose to the Pats with Jimmy Garapallo as their QB and we are deabating about which loss was worse -- losing to the Steeler backups with the playoffs on the line or losing to the Patriots w/o the QB that we think is 98% of the reason that we contiunue to lose meaningful games to the Patriots? That's a thread I do not want to see.

Personally, I'd rather Brady played in game two so when we do beat them it will feel like the Bills might be poised for a legit run at the division title.

NFL season opens in New England on a Thursday night. No way are they not going to have the golden boy on the field. Just a fine which he will recoup from ownership.

I've heard this a lot. Meh. NBC is not being low-balled by advertisers.

The subset of viewers who won't watch the first real game in 7 months who otherwise would have is way smaller than you think it is, if it even exists at all.

I voted small fine, but was sorely tempted by the nothing option. Definitely blowhard Goodell will declare that he had a meeting and that everything is fine now.

Honestly, this level of cheating isn't nearly as concerning as the illegal taping or (unconfirmed) accusations of helmet radio cheating. So I haven't gotten too worked up about it. But it would be great if Goodell's ridiculous "I have to send a message via a ludicrously over-harsh punishment" mentality showed up for this. I don't expect it, because 1.) Goodell is essentially Kraft's henchman, and 2.) Brady is an overcelebrated white face of the league. Nearly all of Goodell's hammer moves serve to strengthen the league's reputation with the fox news set. This doesn't fit the bill.

I would love a lifetime ban. Or even a huge fine. But this is Brady you are talking about. The one and only. Superman with a good looking wife. If the fawning commentators on every Patriots game I ever watched are correct he will get a bump in salary, multiple endorsement offers, and, when he retires, the Catholic church will make him a saint.

Hysterical!

Good thread, Lord Dorkington.

4 games and $250,000 fine for Brady.

1 year suspension for Needlededee and Needlededum.

$250,000 fine for the Patriots for allowing it to happen but NFL acknowledging they don't think the team knew (whether that is true or not, whether the NFL believes it or not).

I think this is a pretty fair proposal. 100% agree.

For Brady, 4 game suspension to be served in the preseason and a 20k fine.

In all seriousness though I expect the punishment to end up being very minor just to try and mitigate some of the PR damage.

I'd be surprised if Goodell came down hard on the league's golden boy and/or golden franchise.

I'm saying 4. Ray Farmer got 4.

if Brady does not get 4, can Farmer appeal?

For Brady, 4 game suspension to be served in the preseason and a 20k fine.

In all seriousness though I expect the punishment to end up being very minor just to try and mitigate some of the PR damage.

I'd be surprised if Goodell came down hard on the league's golden boy and/or golden franchise.

I keep hearing how the Pats* are the NFL's "golden boys," but no one outside NE likes them. In fact, most NFL fans would love to see the Pats* get what they deserve for once. That said, I agree with your prediction and voted "fine." If there is no suspension, I hope people throw deflated balls onto the field during games like people threw sharpies (which I always thought was quite dangerous) onto the field when Bonds played.

Edited by RyanC883

I think the NFL will hand down a harsh penalty on Brady. They threw the book at Peterson and Rice. Now I know the incidents are not at all similar but with the current mood in the country they open themselves up to charges that they have different levels of punishment based on the color of your skin. My belief is that the NFL will do what they need to do to avoid that.

Also don't be surprised if Belichik gets at least fined if not suspended.

The best punishment could possibly be, that he starts playing poorly in trying to salvage his reputation and suffers a confidence crisis which spirals him into retirement. His legacy will be tarnished, his GOAT status rescinded, the patriots will falter and people will question of cheating was the only reason he was so accomplished.

If he comes back after any number of game suspension and plays at the same level, this all goes for naught.

This is a difference between what should happen and what will happen to golden cheat, Tom Brady and his Cheatriots franchise overlords.

Recent history:

Cleveland Browns - GM Ray Farmer was accused of texting, or more specifically, "using electronic communications" with the sideline in violation of NFL rules. There is evidence he had been doing this nearly all season long. The Browns and Farmer cooperated with the investigation and quietly acknowledged their guilt and accepted their penalty. 4 game suspension for Ray Farmer, Browns are fined $250K.

Atlanta Falcons - Accused of pumping in fake crowd noise over nearly two seasons to create a less effective playing atmosphere for opposing teams. The Falcons cooperated with the investigation and quietly acknowledged their guilt and accepted their penalty. The Falcons were fined $350,000 and are stripped of a 5th round draft pick in 2016.

The New England Patriots [AFC Championship Game]

The game footballs are hijacked into a bathroom and 11 of 12 are obviously deflated to make them more amenable to Brady's preferences. This follows an email from the GM of the Colts alerting the league office to a consistent and well known practice of deflating footballs. A separate 2004 incident involving the same equipment manager was eerily identical to this one. Brady, Belichek, and Kraft all deny culpability in the matter on national television and are incensed that their integrity might be questioned even after the Spygate scandal that they still contend was no big deal. As a result, the league initiates a comprehensive investigation bringing in attorney Ted Wells and his law firm to lead the inquiry. The Patriots insist they are cooperating in every possible way with the league investigators. Nothing could be further from the truth. Brady refuses to turn over his electronic communications or documents related to the case and McNally who is believed to have deflated the footballs and refers to himself in texts as "the deflator," appears once before the investigators, but when Wells and his team want to ask him follow up questions, the Patriots say he can't appear because he's busy with his regular job. McNally wasn't even informed of the request by counsel for the Patriots, a violation itself under league rules. A clear cover-up is easily visible to even the most supportive Patriots defender within the league offices.

Unable to speak to McNally or receive a complete picture from Brady, Wells concludes in his report that it is "more probable than not" that Brady was "generally aware" of the deflation of footballs. The investigation concludes with a 243 page report compiled by Ted Wells' law firm. The NFL is billed $15 million for travel related expenses and legal fees. The Patriots organization, beginning with owner Robert Kraft down through Brady's agent and his dad, scream bloody murder that there is no direct evidence linking the deflation to Brady or members and staff of the Patriots organization. Brady's agent refers to it as a sting - which of course it was, durrrr.

It's not difficult to see where it's in the league's interest to "burn the tapes" again as it did in the Spygate scandal. The easiest way to do that is to fine the organization, issue a one or two game suspension and/or a fine to Brady, and see that the equipment managers are fired and black balled from the league. Then Goodell addresses the media giving answers that don't answer the questions asked and ride out the storm until the season restarts. The league gets to keep its golden boy largely untouched by scandal and retains the integrity of the recent Super Bowl win by the Patriots. I wouldn't be surprised to see Goodell using the same stupid defense used by the Patriots that the inflation of the balls had no material affect on the outcome of the Colts and Seahawks games to maintain the illusion of a pristine Super Bowl outcome.

Never mind the hammer that fell like an anvil during the Bountygate Scandal in New Orleans. Anything less than the same treatment in New England is going to make the Saints fans and the team livid as well they should be. The league is "generally" more than capable of getting it wrong and has proven that it is "more probable than not" that it will this time as well.

Don't forget Troy Vincent is the one handing down the punishment. Goodell walks away. Troy played for NE for how many years? Bill's also. He will be blamed for too much or too little punishment. He is a straight up guy. I feel bad for him. Money talks and Brady walks. 1 or two at the most.

$250K and 2 games suspension for TB

The Patriots get the lost of 1st round draft pick and a $14 Million dollar salary cap hit for 2016 and 2017. Real money fines don't mean anything to a billionaire who will write it off in his taxes. But reducing the salary cap by 10%.... oohh that hurts.

1) Don't forget Troy Vincent is the one handing down the punishment. Goodell walks away.

2) Troy played for NE for how many years? Bill's also. He will be blamed for too much or too little punishment. He is a straight up guy. I feel bad for him. Money talks and Brady walks. 1 or two at the most.

1) Goodell will have final say on the punishment one way or another. Either by review, or through an appeal from the Pats*

2) Troy did not play for the Pats*

I keep hearing how the Pats* are the NFL's "golden boys," but no one outside NE likes them. In fact, most NFL fans would love to see the Pats* get what they deserve for once. That said, I agree with your prediction and voted "fine." If there is no suspension, I hope people throw deflated balls onto the field during games like people threw sharpies (which I always thought was quite dangerous) onto the field when Bonds played.

That's a really good point. I'm not sure where that perspective comes from but it isn't just confined to this board.

My guess would be that it is more a reflection of how everyone views Goodell and Kraft's relationship.

There won't be any punishment in my opinion because if you look at the language in the report, it is all "likely he would have been involved", or "unlikely that he would not have known". Nothing definitive outside of the fall-guys, particularly when it comes to Brady. This was the loophole put into the report so that the NFL has an out and does not have to punish either Brady or the Pats. Maybe they will throw fines their way, maybe. But suspensions or loss of significant draft picks, not a chance in hell in my opinion.

Edited by CodeMonkey

There won't be any punishment in my opinion because if you look at the language in the report, it is all "likely he would have been involved", or "unlikely that he would not have known". Nothing definitive outside of the fall-guys, particularly when it comes to Brady. This was the loophole put into the report so that the NFL has an out and does not have to punish either Brady or the Pats. Maybe they will throw fines their way, maybe. But suspensions or loss of significant draft picks, not a chance in hell in my opinion.

Knowledgeable media have discussed this on TV this morning - that seemingly weak language is actually the very threshold they need to achieve for punishment to be administered.

That's a really good point. I'm not sure where that perspective comes from but it isn't just confined to this board.

My guess would be that it is more a reflection of how everyone views Goodell and Kraft's relationship.

I think it comes from the spygate situation, tuck rule, brady isn't allowed to be touched rules/penalties, and of course that he is a good quarterback. Oh and that isn't mentioning that the media actually calls Brady "the golden boy".

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/01/manning-vs-brady-whos-the-real-golden-boy/

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/01/tom-brady-hair-media-day-super-bowl

And plenty more, but deflategate is breaking an effective google search.

Edited by What a Tuel

If the NFL does nothing to the Pats* they will prove that cheating is worth doing because you will never be punished.

Actually, all it will prove is what we already know: The Patriots get to play by a different set of rules than everyone else.