[closed]Bills interested in TE Charles Clay--update: F5 and stuff

YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see him as a chain mover and red zone target who probably hasn't reached his full potential yet. If his injuries from 2014 aren't lingering he would be an athletic offensive weapon that would help us, likely wouldn't be as pricey as a Cameron or Thomas. If they can get a guy like this in FA it allows greater draft flexibility as well.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I see him as a chain mover and red zone target who probably hasn't reached his full potential yet. If his injuries from 2014 aren't lingering he would be an athletic offensive weapon that would help us, likely wouldn't be as pricey as a Cameron or Thomas. If they can get a guy like this in FA it allows greater draft flexibility as well.

Agreed. If they get a proven TE in FA it would not surprise me to see the Bills draft BPA namely DL with the 50th pick. Draft an RB in third round. The Bills need depth at DT behind Williams, who's 32, and Dareus. Also they could use a DE. I think the Bills will sign OG/OT and a QB in FA.

Clay and chandler would be a nice combo. Big upgrade from a lee smith.

I like Clay but don't think he is a true TE which is what the Bills need. He is also injured a lot which concerns me as well.

He would be in the Delanie Walker role. I've always liked Clay. Very underrated in my opinion.

I really like Maxx Williams and Nick O'Leary but a TE combo of Clay/ Chandler could be very good.

I think we will definitely pick up one of the top TE's and G's in free agency. Then I see us using our top two picks on a big WR and a RB.

Clay and Lupati plus Jaelen Strong and David Johnson?

Along the lines of what I am thinking too. Funchess makes some sense as well and there are a bunch of good backs.

Along the lines of what I am thinking too. Funchess makes some sense as well and there are a bunch of good backs.

Funchess (hybrid WR/TE) and Clay (hybrid TE/Hback) would be awesome. We could be a two TE power team or a wide open spread team with the same personnel if we got those two.

But if we sign Hughes, doesn't that mean we we have to ignore the offense?

Why would it? Bills are around 30 mil under the cap and can always create more space so I don't get why you think resigning Hughes would mean they would hv to ignore the offense.

Funchess (hybrid WR/TE) and Clay (hybrid TE/Hback) would be awesome. We could be a two TE power team or a wide open spread team with the same personnel if we got those two.

Funchess is that big target and Clay can do damage as an H-back type. They'd compliment each other nicely and round out our pass catchers. Draft one of those backs in the 3rd (maybe David Johnson) and sign an OL and a Lokcer type in FA. This would greatly improve the offense IMO. They will be much more well-rounded. Edited by Kirby Jackson

im a big fan of clay. and thought the bills should make a move at him if he reaches free agency

AMEN! He's the TE I've been wanting the Bills to go after. He's got very good athleticism, plays tough/physical with the ball in his hands, and creates mismatches. He would add the dimension we've wanted from Chris Gragg. It would also put a dent in the Dolphins roster. Win-win for us.

Two questions. How much will he truly cost? and how susceptible is he to injury.

We have had problems with keeping TEs healthy. Don't know if its a Bills thing or what ; )
I like the idea very much of drafting and adding complimentary FA for Roman's offense , now that you folks have thought of it !!

Some one get on the phone to Whaley

Two questions. How much will he truly cost? and how susceptible is he to injury.

We have had problems with keeping TEs healthy. Don't know if its a Bills thing or what ; )

I like the idea very much of drafting and adding complimentary FA for Roman's offense , now that you folks have thought of it !!

Some one get on the phone to Whaley

We've never had a TE to keep healthy :). I'd guess that Clay is $7M a year average.

Why would it? Bills are around 30 mil under the cap and can always create more space so I don't get why you think resigning Hughes would mean they would hv to ignore the offense.

See the Hughes thread. Yes, sarcasm.

I'm fine with Clay as a player; just concerned he's going to want upward of $6M per, which is too much for a guy in his class IMO. Give me Gresham at $4M per instead.

That would put him on the Jared Cook, Kyle Rudolph range. It's probaly somewhere between $7-$8M with maybe 1/2 guaranteed? Something like 4 years $30m with $15m guaranteed. Just a guess

Isn't Gronk getting $8M per? No way I'm paying Clay like Gronk.

I'm fine with Clay as a player; just concerned he's going to want upward of $6M per, which is too much for a guy in his class IMO. Give me Gresham at $4M per instead.

He is at $9m. I think that this should give some perspective: http://overthecap.com/position/tight-end/. I feel like with the rising cap he will fall in that 2nd tier financially. He will command less than Julius for sure and probably Cameron. Edited by Kirby Jackson

Bear in mind that, nowadays, we wont be paying our Rookies anything.

Especially without a first round rookie.

And, its not our money, Its Pegula's. If he wants to spend for a championship, and if his Generals tell him that this is a good place to spend money that must be spent, then i'm all for it. I trust the Generals.

Bills need a TE who can block and be a receiver. Two functions.......Clay is a hybrid H back type.....already got Grey......and Gragg.....don't need another. Need another starter like who leaves the D guessing if its a run or pass. Clay is more a receiver than blocker.......a 245 he is little compared to what we need....that guy from Detroit would be good IMHO.

If Gronk was on the market he would be the highest paid TE in history. That's not a good way to look at it, IMO.

Clay is one of my top guys I wanted. Roman loves these kinds of players in his offense. I think we could be very effective with Clay, Chandler and Gray.

Bills need a TE who can block and be a receiver. Two functions.......Clay is a hybrid H back type.....already got Grey......and Gragg.....don't need another. Need another starter like who leaves the D guessing if its a run or pass. Clay is more a receiver than blocker.......a 245 he is little compared to what we need....that guy from Detroit would be good IMHO.

The fact you listed two players which one decent player could suffice says enough.

If Gronk was on the market he would be the highest paid TE in history. That's not a good way to look at it, IMO.

Clay is one of my top guys I wanted. Roman loves these kinds of players in his offense. I think we could be very effective with Clay, Chandler and Gray.

True but he did sign that 6 year extension not so long ago. I mean it is only a matter of time before he wants to restructure a new one and God help the Cheats when he does. That man, if he doesn't have any serious injury in that time frame, will command some serious bank.