Land of Misfit Coaching Candiates - Names No Longer Discussed

dpberr

Seeing so many coaches offered up as potential candidates got me to thinking about coaches we used to talk about that are in theory, just as available as a Bill Cowher or Mike Shanahan.

Guys like:

Brian Billick

Jim Fassel

Butch Davis

Steve Spagnuolo

Jeff Jagodzinski

Kirk Ferentz

Mike Tice

Charlie Strong

Rob Chudzinski

I'm sure there are others.

Why do these guys disappear off radar screens but the Cowhers and Shanahans are permanent fixtures?

I was thinking yesterday, and nearly mentioned in the Rooney rule thread.... the last time the Bills were hiring Ray Horton, fresh from doing a good job as defensive coordinator in Arizona with a kind of "no name" defense was a hot name and was interviewed right across the league. Yes it may have been a bit of a Rooney rule box tick, but someone who gets that many interviews was clearly considered worthy. Since then a year that started well and then went south quickly as DC in Cleveland and then a nightmare year with the Titans back with his former boss in Arizona Ken Whisenthunt and he is completely off the radar.

Billick interviewed when Chan was hired, seemed really interested then. I wouldn't be opposed to him.

Billick is a worse fraud than marrone. He was an "offensive genius" in minn, went to

Baltimore, ran that offense into the ground, and took credit for Marvin Lewis basically winning them a super bowl with that D.

Pretty much all covered. Weis, Green, Marty Ball, Fassel, Shanna....oops, Romeo Crennel, Holmgren comes up as an advisor now. Once you have been out for awhile, that's pretty much it, everyone moves on to the next up and coming coaches, mostly younger guys. Look at how long the broadcast guys have been out of coaching. Mariucci last year as coach was 2005, Cowher 2006, Billick 2007, Dungy & Gruden 2008. Less stressful, fewer hours, good money.

Son of Bum P.

Who is the last ex nfl coach to leave the broadcast booth to go back into coaching? It seems like once they get a tv gig they get fat and happy.

Or that NFL teams don't want these bums anymore

Denny Green. (I was about to post this, then thought I better google him to see if he's still alive. He is.)

"They were who we thought they were! If you want to crown them, then crown their asses!" Almost as good as another HC candidate, "Playoffs, playoffs, are you talking playoffs, we can't win a game and you're talking playoffs. Playoffs?"

Classic.

What about Lovie Smith? I remember people wanted him over Marrone. Now Tampa has the #1 overall draft pick. Hahaha

Well, who made out better? Neither team made the playoffs and it looks like Chicago is going to end up with a real QB candidate and jettison Cutler (maybe to the Bills). :)

Edited by vincec