Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

Marrone is probably going to poach either Henderson or Pepper Johnson to run his defense I will assume. I hope it's not Henderson. We don't have to let them go unless they get a promotion, which would be to DC. One of the good things Marrone did last year, a very good thing but a no brainer, was to not let Henderson interview with the Browns so we got to keep him. He's very, very good.

I thought that all position coaches and coordinators were considered to be the same level by nfl rules, so the only way it would be a promotion would be if they were offered assistant HC.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prediction time:

Polian named President and Football Czar.

Whaley remains as GM and responsible for the roster with help from Polian.

Overdorf gone and Whaley is responsible for cap; he and Polian hire a capologist.

Brandon is given a promotion and new job to run the business side of Bills/Sabres/HarborCenter/New Bills Stadium.

Schwartz named HC. Henderson named DC, Pepper Johnson leaves to become Marrone's DC.

Schwartz gets some highly regarded OC that Pegula pays a boatload to, who may be in line if Schwartz falters.

I think you nailed it...

I wonder if we try to get Reich as an OC with an Assistant HC title.

Well...

I was more or less ambivalent about Marrone, so I'm more or less ambivalent about him leaving. Borderline pleased, if it means Hackett and Morris are gone.

But what galls me is...great, again? Yet another head coach? Since Levy left, we haven't had a coach last longer than three season. I'm starting to hear calliope music. Is this insanity ever going to end?

I can see the giving Reich the title of Associate Head Coach and OC so it is a promotion, and then he is the guy who is in line for the job. He does not deserve a HC job in any way right now. He's never really ran an offense.

And yeah you came up with that too.... :thumbsup:

Well...

I was more or less ambivalent about Marrone, so I'm more or less ambivalent about him leaving. Borderline pleased, if it means Hackett and Morris are gone.

But what galls me is...great, again? Yet another head coach? Since Levy left, we haven't had a coach last longer than three season. I'm starting to hear calliope music. Is this insanity ever going to end?

think 49ers pre-Harbaugh. This could yet work out in our favor.

Bills won 9 games in spite of Marrone, not because of him. They were never going to do any better if he had stayed. Never. If Polian is in fact the new President, everyone below him will be gone. We will see some familiar faces and some new ones. I know this, I'd bet we will win more than we lose. We will get a QB. We will have a 1st round draft pick in 2015 and spending MONEY is no longer an issue whether it's on coaches or players, it will be spent.

as is being mentioned, could the JETS have had an inkling about this? they already did their "rooney rule" interviews.. tampering???

An they thought their offense was a mess the last few seasons; wait till they get Saint Dug and the their favorite Hack of an OC's son...

I thought that all position coaches and coordinators were considered to be the same level by nfl rules, so the only way it would be a promotion would be if they were offered assistant HC.

Technically you are right. Teams usually will not prevent a guy from getting a promotion though. They will prevent lateral moves.

But he's a big dummy. Actually just a good agent. With relocation a possibility if a new owner came along, it was probably a provision any coach would ask for.

I could understand it if a new owner fired him...but he "opted out" on his own accord.

Prediction time:

Polian named President and Football Czar.

Whaley remains as GM and responsible for the roster with help from Polian.

Overdorf gone and Whaley is responsible for cap; he and Polian hire a capologist.

Brandon is given a promotion and new job to run the business side of Bills/Sabres/HarborCenter/New Bills Stadium.

Schwartz named HC. Henderson named DC, Pepper Johnson leaves to become Marrone's DC.

Schwartz gets some highly regarded OC that Pegula pays a boatload to, who may be in line if Schwartz falters.

That's a very good synopsis of the most likely.

Not real thrilled with that. Not a fan of Schwartz personality as a HC. He ran a sloppy ship in Detroit.

Or Frank Reich either. Unless Reich could bring Joe D with him as his non-play calling "offensive coordinator" or assistant HC and Schwartz and the all-important Donnie Henderson are retained. I want no part of Pepper Johnson as DC. Belichick assistants are puppets and BB never even saw fit to promote Pepper so I just can't see it. If Charlie Weiss and Romeo Crennel were good enough and Pepper wasn't.....no thanks.

Cowher/Gailey/LeBeau I'd be glad to get though. :D

it's all about the money....

ESPN's Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen reported that Marrone walks away with his 2015 salary of $4 million "without it counting as an offset against any future salary." The out clause in his contract activated if the Bills changed ownership, which happened when Terry Pegula bought the team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/doug-marrone-opts-out-of-contract--done-as-buffalo-bills--coach-231705211.html

The only thing Im having a hard time understanding is how so many fans are behind this move, and the Pegulas, as if they just did something great.

To me, it looks like a "Ralph is Cheap. Same Ol Bills" move where we couldnt figure out a way to keep the first coach to get us to a winning record in over a decade. I guess it takes two to tango, but we couldnt sway him with an offer like: "Replace OC and OL coach, and everyone on staff gets a new 3 year contract"?

I hope Pegula has a plan that isnt just taking an easy road of bringing in retreads like Polian/Reich (read:LaFontaine/Nolan, Levy/Jauron).

I dunno. If Marrone is *obviously* such a quitter than Im glad he is gone, but I dont like the way this is playing out so far.

I cant think of anything that would be an *obvious* upgrade to Marrone outside of prying Gruden out of ESPN. And even that is shaky at best.

I have always thought that Dougie wanted his buddy Tom Coughlin's job. Maybe he knows when Coughlin is retiring and wants to preserve his (meager) winning record for when that opportunity presents itself.

I am just glad this happened now before any other HC vacancies have been filled.

Bills are getting into the HC search at the perfect time.

CBF

If we are going to hire Polian, and he has commitments through the end of January, do we have to wait to find a coach? :sick:

The only thing Im having a hard time understanding is how so many fans are behind this move, and the Pegulas, as if they just did something great.

To me, it looks like a "Ralph is Cheap. Same Ol Bills" move where we couldnt figure out a way to keep the first coach to get us to a winning record in over a decade. I guess it takes two to tango, but we couldnt sway him with an offer like: "Replace OC and OL coach, and everyone on staff gets a new 3 year contract"?

I hope Pegula has a plan that isnt just taking an easy road of bringing in retreads like Polian/Reich (read:LaFontaine/Nolan, Levy/Jauron).

I dunno. If Marrone is *obviously* such a quitter than Im glad he is gone, but I dont like the way this is playing out so far.

I cant think of anything that would be an *obvious* upgrade to Marrone outside of prying Gruden out of ESPN. And even that is shaky at best.

The report is, he asked for an extension first and they told him no. He pulled a power play. He doesn't in any way deserve an extension. Then he asked for his assistants to get extensions. Schwartz is the only one that has to stay (along with Henderson) and Schwartz already has a couple years left. He wanted extensions for his offensive guys. He was told no. So he quit. You really think any of that was deserved?

Those who wanted him gone and celebrating his departure - careful what you wish for. IMHO, Marrone was not the problem with this organization. OC and OL coach both were far bigger issues and now the baby has decided to jump before the bath water was readying for being thrown out.

Schwartz should NOT be the HC.

The problem was he was the OC, he was the OL coach because he was the one who made all offensive decisions. He was never going to fire Hackett. That would be like firing himself and then hiring his own replacement. It was never in the cards. The only way that we were going to fix this offense, which dragged this team out of the playoffs, was by letting Marrone go. He was never a good coach, but just rode the success of the defense.

Edited by Saint Doug

The report is, he asked for an extension first and they told him no. He pulled a power play. He doesn't in any way deserve an extension. Then he asked for his assistants to get extensions. Schwartz is the only one that has to stay (along with Henderson) and Schwartz already has a couple years left. He wanted extensions for his offensive guys. He was told no. So he quit. You really think any of that was deserved?

Honestly, it depends on the terms of the extension he wanted.

If Pegula let Marrone walk, and goes and hires Reich or anyone equally unimpressive as HC, Ill be pissed.

But they basically have no choice but to go big now.

If Marrone wasnt worth paying, then it is time to show us who IS worth paying.

so, the same guy who mocked the rumors about returning to coaching college football by saying "you're stuck with me" was really planning to leave all along. good riddance, and take your incompetent teenage offensive coordinator with you.

Would you have given Marrone the long term security he was looking for after he went 15-17 and so many questions on offense? I certainly don't blame Marrone for asking under those circumstances, but I can certainly see why Pegula wasn't convinced to extend him before his three years were up, either.

GO BILLS!!!

A winning record is great, but does it really justify contract extensions across the board? The idea of a major commitment after a limited success just brings to mind Fitzpatrick and Jauron.

And I was on board with keeping Marrone around and evaluating him at the end of his contract, but if this what he wants to do then fine by me. I hope he does go to the Jets.

I have always thought that Dougie wanted his buddy Tom Coughlin's job. Maybe he knows when Coughlin is retiring and wants to preserve his (meager) winning record for when that opportunity presents itself.

He doesn't have a winning record, meager or otherwise.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't see Whaley surviving.

As much as I like Whaley and think he's excellent at identifying talent, he's not GM material. He should not be the face of the franchise. I think he knew St Doug was leaving during the Monday presser and all Doug's lies were bothering him.

Would you have given Marrone the long term security he was looking for after he went 15-17 and so many questions on offense? I certainly don't blame Marrone for asking under those circumstances, but I can certainly see why Pegula wasn't convinced to extend him before his three years were up, either.

GO BILLS!!!

A winning record is great, but does it really justify contract extensions across the board? The idea of a major commitment after a limited success just brings to mind Fitzpatrick and Jauron.

And I was on board with keeping Marrone around and evaluating him at the end of his contract, but if this what he wants to do then fine by me. I hope he does go to the Jets.

Not a major commitment, but Id have been willing to figure out a way to do so, as long as some of my demands were met as well. Again, I know that assumes Marrone would be willing to make those concessions. But I also would have been willing to make it worth it to him.

I dunno. Guess we gotta see what Pegula has in store. Right now, jury is out here. Is this a new direction? Or another Ralph in the making?

They better come up with something much better than what we had.

Edited by DrDareustein

I think you simply over-value the job he did.

His tenure was the equivalent of Mularkey taking over for Greggo. The foundation of the success he had was laid prior to his arrival.

Like Mularkey.....Marrone did not produce in his area of expertise, which makes him look fraudulent in that regard.

I don't blame him a bit for opting out. He was blessed with 3 miracles(Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota) and a gift(NE). It was time to cash in those chips for a chance at another 3 year re-do because he was one year from getting fired here.