A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This team passes the eye test for this fan. Balanced D against a solid O, potent weapons and EJ can be good enough to win.

I look forward to taking off his leash and seeing what he can do. In order to make the playoffs we will eventually have to stretch the field vertically. But great game and fun to watch.

I don't think NFL DBs are allowed to knock recievers out any more.

Maybe not like Jack Tatum used to, but those receivers were unprotected skying for those passes.

Liked the run game gashing Chicago multiple times. They're going to need that all season.

Seriously, I hope he is well, before I even got to the he is doing fine I truly was hoping it was good news in his health that you would be here posting.

Thanks, he should be home tomorrow, and hopefully wiser. (But with five holes to heal.) Just avoid doing stupid things.

Maybe not like Jack Tatum used to, but those receivers were unprotected skying for those passes.

Liked the run game gashing Chicago multiple times. They're going to need that all season.

Agreed. We need a solid running game (with more than just that read option/draw/run up the middle play). EJ might become a good QB, but he has a long way to go and is firmly in the "game manager" stage of development. And I don't say that to be derogatory to EJ in any way; he's just a young QB learning how to paly in the NFL.

Great win, and long deserved for all the diehard fans who have never seen a win in the windy city before...ever.

Loved that Fred Jackson stiff arm, and the line gave EJ time despite the not so great play at OG. It is clear that the Bills need better play or better players at OG & TE. I have a man crush for the new RT.

So many worried when Gilmore was inactive, and gotta say Cory Graham played a heck of a game, looked very good in replacing Gilmore. Man, that vaunted Bears receiving corps didn't have the game Bears fans expected with Marshal, Jeffery, Forte, Bennett. Nor did the Bears run game. Was the Bills D that good or the Bears offense (Cutler) just not clicking?

Anyway Bill, I always look forward to reading your "few thoughts about the game" after the game. Good stuff.

Some one pays attention! Not the FSU son. It's the older son who is wreckless enough to go into bad neighborhoods to avoid traffic around the Falcons game in order to get to an appointment. He was careless and stupid and lucky to survive. Three shots hit flesh resulting in five holes (through and through). I promise you do NOT want to know the resting spot of the last slug (a urologist finally got it). I had just invited a nice young couple to join me at a shady table at the Bills bar here. I got a text and went into a stupor. They offered to pay my tab so I could rush off. Love to strangers Gavin and Amelia for being so caring. And everyone here. Life can be tough.

Sorry to hear about your son but glad to hear it sounds like he'll be ok. My best wishes to you and your family.

Good win. Maybe it was just me but it seemed like they were rotating the D-line an awful lot today. It seemed like Jarius Wynn saw the field a lot today replacing Mario. Same thing with the rest of the starters too... hughes out a lot, Kyle Williams subbed out a lot.

It had to be because of the heat and humidity.

Those WRs are completely protected...by the rule book. Anyone laying the lumber on them is going to get a personal foul and a hefty fine and they all know it. It makes a guy like Mike Williams incredibly valuable and not just in the red zone.

That is true but 15 yards doesn't really compensate for you losing one of your offensive weapons for the season does it? Still.... the FO were honest enough about the need for receivers who could go up and make tough catches on a ball that wasn't thrown in perfect position. We went after these guys to make sure that EJ doesn't need to be perfect on every throw to give us a chance to win. 1 game in and it looks a solid plan so far.

Preston Brown did not play well - they were trying to cover up for him on defense the entire game. His head is spinning out there.

Well, he had 5 solo tackles, 2 assists, and a clutch fumble recovery with a 30 yard run. The best part was the way he kept his head and was clutching the ball at the end.

Lost? Perhaps, it was his first game. But for a rookie debut, I'll take it. :)

Thurman's TD celebrations were always my favorite: trot up to the ref and hand him the ball as though to say "Here's another one."

All the same...I don't begrudge others their chosen celebrations. It's a relatively trivial thing.

But you always knew when Thurman was fired up -- usually against Miami. I recall some TDs after which he would fire the ball at the half wall.

EJ's celebration was corny, but sincere -- they guy was thrilled to get an early TD and quiet some of the naysayers.

Another thought about the playcalling, specifically the "read-option" look EJ gives on almost every handoff. This is setting up other plays for later in the season, you can bank on it.

Everyone is talking about EJ's throw to Caveman Mike in OT and it was fantastic, but his best throw of the game (IMO) was over the middle to Sammy in perfect stride in the first half.

By the way, when Sammy is fully healthy and not thinking about his ribs this WR corps looks nasty. Woods may already be my favorite player on offense -- he is much quicker in live action than you think, and he plays with an edge.

Just think -- we get Bradham, who Saint Doug said is the most improved player on the roster, and probably Gilmore back next week. If Rivers is out then Brown gained some much needed live action yesterday.

Holding this Bears offense to 8-9 pts below their season average from a year ago, on their home field in the opener, is impressive no matter how you slice it.

On to Miami week -- which will be incredible!

Just enjoy the win! First time ever in Chicago. Check out this write up from Chi-town!

https://www.google.c...LSwfDX_ni8e3B3Q

Wow. Everyone who thinks Sully is negative and hateful towards the Bills should read this guy.

From this perspective the Bears just lost to the worst team in the league and are looking at a 1-15 year now.

I'm not going to complain after a win. That will generally be true. Even more so today. My son was shot multiple times in a carjacking attempt about ten minutes before kickoff. Sorry if that sours the mood. He's going to be fine, but it sucked some of the fun out of my day. Duh. Remember the Bills are a nice fascination or even obsession, but your family is your family. Know what's important to you.

I'm so sorry this crime happened to your son. I'm glad to hear that he is doing fine. Your son faced a major traumatic event so if he needs counseling or a professional to talk to encourage him to do so. If I may ask what city did this occur in?

A long time ago an individual dressed as a policeman (police type windbreaker) stopped me in my car at a construction site and cooly and calmly told me that the vehicle I was in fit the description of a stolen vehicle. He politely but firmly told me that I had to get out of the vehicle. After a second or two it clicked in what was happening. I yelled I'm the police and I went into my jacket to pull out my nonexistent gun. The individual ran off. I then noticed another person who was hiding in the bushes also ran off. I consider myself very fortunate because it was very late at night and it happened in crime infested area.

Again, I'm very glad that your son was not seriously hurt.

The Astrobot preseason write ups --> Bill from NYC post-game write ups are the greatest/smoothest transition on the board. We're lucky to have both.

Thanks, Bill!

I was disappointed in Chandler, overall. I'm a Chandler fan, but he needs to do better and be more disciplined.

We have awesome receivers.

McKelvin didn't play that poorly all season last year; I hope this was just a bad game and he can shake it off.

Being the first game, on the road, I was overall impressed with Manuel's poise and confidence.

I liked the vast majority of Hackett's play-calling.

Those WRs are completely protected...by the rule book. Anyone laying the lumber on them is going to get a personal foul and a hefty fine and they all know it. It makes a guy like Mike Williams incredibly valuable and not just in the red zone.

A fine and the rule book aren't going to compensate the Bills if the player gets hit hard extending for one of those errant throws.

Just huge to have guys like Woods, Williams, and Watkins who can make plays.

1) I liked what I saw of Watkins. This means something people. He is a freaking baby, but his skillset did shine through this week. Even a doubter like me can be happy.

2) You see, more than one player can win one single game for a football team. You tend to not want it to be either kicker, right? But Carpenter and Gay really were major contributors to this victory. This is beyond dispute.

3) Did you see the TD run by EJ? I cannot tell you how happy I was. The kid needs to RUN!!! He is NOT a pocket QB. If used and coached properly, maybe he can win us football games. How cool is that???!!!

4) Spiller drives me nuts. Seriously. His TD in the 2nd qtr. was perfectly executed. A fantastic play no doubt. Then, with 47 seconds left before the half he went out of bounds. It didn't cost the Bills anything, but I had a near heart attack. You just CANNOT do chit like that again and again.

5) Who can stop what must arrive now?

Something new is waiting, to be born.

Dark as the night,

You're still by my side,

Shining side.

Gone are the days, we stopped to decide,

Where we should go,

We just ride.

Gone are the broken eyes we saw through in dreams,

Gone both,

dream and lie......

6) How great was that run by Fred Jackson? It was almost like story book stuff, ya know? He deserved that play as much as we did. Just so freaking cool!!!

7) Mike Williams made as good a catch as one would ever hope to see. Seriously, if he can keep himself together, he will be literally great.

8) Sorry, I was unimpressed by the Guard play on either side. How about you? Did you like what you saw from Chris Williams in particular? I did not. Not at all.

9) How many of you missed Gilmore? I am curious. Corey Graham looked pretty damned good from where I sat.

10) I am serious, I think that Mario hit Cutler SOOOO hard on that sack that it changed the game. For those of you who are unsure, Mario Williams is the best player on our football team.

11) My friends, we have a shot!!! We do. I know as well as any Bills Fan that these moments are fleeting, but we look good right now. And we look like we can improve.

12) McKelvin had a rough outing. I hope he improves.

13) The thing about Woods that stuck out was how hungry he looked. This kid can really play football.

14) I am just SO happy for us as fans. Right this second, hope does prevail. It feels good and my best wishes go out to my fellow Bills Fans. Nobody is as loyal as us. NOBODY!

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really do love your post game thoughts. They are pretty much dead on. Chandler was worth noting as well as he struggled. I would still have my eyes open on people's practice squads for a TE.

I loved what I saw from Graham. There's something to be said for having winners on your team.

The kicking game was great yesterday. I know there was talk of letting go of the KOS for Bradham next week. I hope they consider other options. If he is consistently like that he will help this team. It's tough to go 80 yards against the Bills.

I'll add this about Chandler: I don't think EJ targeted him a single time after that drop. Yes it was a bad pass, but come on Scott. Make a play.

The sad thing is that right after the play my initial reaction was, "at least he didn't tip it up in the air and get it picked off."

A fine and the rule book aren't going to compensate the Bills if the player gets hit hard extending for one of those errant throws.

True, and in year one or two of the rule change those WRs were still getting hit hard. You just don't see it much anymore though you're right, it can still happen.

I really do love your post game thoughts. They are pretty much dead on. Chandler was worth noting as well as he struggled. I would still have my eyes open on people's practice squads for a TE.

At the same time, he had a great block on the TD.

So unprofessional.

You wouldn't find a guy like Aaron Rodgers flashing a championship belt or Colin Kaepernick kissing his bicep after a TD run would you?

Act like you've been there before.

:D

So unprofessional.

You wouldn't find a guy like Aaron Rodgers flashing a championship belt or Colin Kaepernick kissing his bicep after a TD run would you?

Act like you've been there before.

It was obviously an attempt at a layup, but due to his accuracy issues you could tell he totally missed.