A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

1) I liked what I saw of Watkins. This means something people. He is a freaking baby, but his skillset did shine through this week. Even a doubter like me can be happy.

2) You see, more than one player can win one single game for a football team. You tend to not want it to be either kicker, right? But Carpenter and Gay really were major contributors to this victory. This is beyond dispute.

3) Did you see the TD run by EJ? I cannot tell you how happy I was. The kid needs to RUN!!! He is NOT a pocket QB. If used and coached properly, maybe he can win us football games. How cool is that???!!!

4) Spiller drives me nuts. Seriously. His TD in the 2nd qtr. was perfectly executed. A fantastic play no doubt. Then, with 47 seconds left before the half he went out of bounds. It didn't cost the Bills anything, but I had a near heart attack. You just CANNOT do chit like that again and again.

5) Who can stop what must arrive now?

Something new is waiting, to be born.

Dark as the night,

You're still by my side,

Shining side.

Gone are the days, we stopped to decide,

Where we should go,

We just ride.

Gone are the broken eyes we saw through in dreams,

Gone both,

dream and lie......

6) How great was that run by Fred Jackson? It was almost like story book stuff, ya know? He deserved that play as much as we did. Just so freaking cool!!!

7) Mike Williams made as good a catch as one would ever hope to see. Seriously, if he can keep himself together, he will be literally great.

8) Sorry, I was unimpressed by the Guard play on either side. How about you? Did you like what you saw from Chris Williams in particular? I did not. Not at all.

9) How many of you missed Gilmore? I am curious. Corey Graham looked pretty damned good from where I sat.

10) I am serious, I think that Mario hit Cutler SOOOO hard on that sack that it changed the game. For those of you who are unsure, Mario Williams is the best player on our football team.

11) My friends, we have a shot!!! We do. I know as well as any Bills Fan that these moments are fleeting, but we look good right now. And we look like we can improve.

12) McKelvin had a rough outing. I hope he improves.

13) The thing about Woods that stuck out was how hungry he looked. This kid can really play football.

14) I am just SO happy for us as fans. Right this second, hope does prevail. It feels good and my best wishes go out to my fellow Bills Fans. Nobody is as loyal as us. NOBODY!

15) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think McKelvin(like the rest of the team) took one drive to get into things. After that first drive, I thought McKelvin had a fairly solid game.

What a magical way to start the season. This is a young team. The future suddenly looks quite bright.

Good post Bill. I think McKelvin deserves some credit too though. Forced the big fumble and was tagged on a horrible PI call. He was not bad. This Bears offense is lethal. But Graham was fantastic, and our QB was calm and poised!

Good post Bill. I think McKelvin deserves some credit too though. Forced the big fumble and was tagged on a horrible PI call. He was not bad. This Bears offense is lethal. But Graham was fantastic, and our QB was calm and poised!

You know who played well after an initial screw up Preston Brown.

We need players such as him to step up. E-man, I am one happy mf right now!

You gotta feel good for EJ. He has a relatively veteran team and he really needed to show that he could lead them to a tough road win. Hopefully he builds off of this.

The punting game was exceptional, I agree.

Although we lost Kiko and Jarius, the defense gained two solid vets from winning programs in Spikes and Graham. I'd say it might be a net positive.

The Refs were in preseason form (or regular season form against the Patriots).

I did not like Hackett's playcalling in the 3rd Q - they went into the Jauron Prevent Offense. Also didn't love using Freddy instead of CJ on screen passes, or the use of Summers (throw it into the teeth of those bad safeties; no reason to go power formation). Otherwise I liked the game that Hackett called.

Let's see how these guards play at home, and after a couple of games together, before passing judgment. It wasn't great, but it was better than last year.

Mckelvin did not have a rough outing. Did you see the strip fumble of marshal? The secondary played well including robey and williams, with graham the best. Bears could have best pair of wideouts in the league, with huge physical mismatch advatanges. Add a pass happy QB and these guys will get their shots in against anyone. to hold them to 20 points on the road in iver 4 quarters without much help from offense is saying something

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

You know who played well after an initial screw up Preston Brown.

We need players such as him to step up. E-man, I am one happy mf right now!

Preston Brown did not play well - they were trying to cover up for him on defense the entire game. His head is spinning out there.

Mckelvin did not have a rough outing. Did you see the strip fumble of marshal? The secondary played well including robey and williams, with graham the best. Bears could have best pair of wideouts in the league, with huge physical mismatch advatanges. to hold them to 20 points on the road in iver 4 quarters without much help from offense is saying something

Agreed. McKelvin was solid. Love the player that he has become.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

10) I was hoping you included him. That play ended the drive and was in the midst of the stretch where the Bills grew a lead. IMPACT PLAY!!!

12) True, but he was up against Marshall all day, and i think if he didn't slip he's have had a pick. Tough interference call, too.

13) Loved his game.

Credit needs to go to Marrone for calling the refs out after two completely bogus PI calls. Those calls were swinging the difference to the Bears. Down the stretch out corners got away with physical play and I 100% believe it's because Marrone had the balls to stand up for his guys and call it out. Gailey would never do that. Jauron wouldn't have been aware enough to even notice it.

You gotta feel good for EJ. He has a relatively veteran team and he really needed to show that he could lead them to a tough road win. Hopefully he builds off of this.

The punting game was exceptional, I agree.

Although we lost Kiko and Jarius, the defense gained two solid vets from winning programs in Spikes and Graham. I'd say it might be a net positive.

The Refs were in preseason form (or regular season form against the Patriots).

I did not like Hackett's playcalling in the 3rd Q - they went into the Jauron Prevent Offense. Also didn't love using Freddy instead of CJ on screen passes, or the use of Summers (throw it into the teeth of those bad safeties; no reason to go power formation). Otherwise I liked the game that Hackett called.

Let's see how these guards play at home, and after a couple of games together, before passing judgment. It wasn't great, but it was better than last year.

Kyle Williams has more INTs than Jarius Byrd. Kyle F'n Williams! :w00t:

Credit needs to go to Marrone for calling the refs out after two completely bogus PI calls. Those calls were swinging the difference to the Bears. Down the stretch out corners got away with physical play and I 100% believe it's because Marrone had the balls to stand up for his guys and call it out. Gailey would never do that. Jauron wouldn't have been aware enough to even notice it.

I wondered about that too. He put those %#-$wads on notice after they over turned their own holding flag. And they may have given us one back on the non-call on Graham

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

completely agree. The refs were thinking they might not make it out of the stadium alive and kept the laundry in their pockets in OT, to our benefit. Thanks St Doug!

That catch by Williams was a game change. For years I have seen receivers to that for Brady. It was nice, for once, to see someone in a Bills uniform do that.

Why is when the Bills run a screen, with one defender in the area, he isn't blocked??? The Bears seem to be able to get the defenders blocked!

I haven't had this feeling after a Bills win in a long time. The entire week should be brighter.

Good win. Maybe it was just me but it seemed like they were rotating the D-line an awful lot today. It seemed like Jarius Wynn saw the field a lot today replacing Mario. Same thing with the rest of the starters too... hughes out a lot, Kyle Williams subbed out a lot.

That catch by Williams was a game change. For years I have seen receivers to that for Brady. It was nice, for once, to see someone in a Bills uniform do that.

Why is when the Bills run a screen, with one defender in the area, he isn't blocked??? The Bears seem to be able to get the defenders blocked!

I haven't had this feeling after a Bills win in a long time. The entire week should be brighter.

after this preseason/TC... We deserve it!

Mckelvin did not have a rough outing. Did you see the strip fumble of marshal? The secondary played well including robey and williams, with graham the best. Bears could have best pair of wideouts in the league, with huge physical mismatch advatanges. Add a pass happy QB and these guys will get their shots in against anyone. to hold them to 20 points on the road in iver 4 quarters without much help from offense is saying something

There were times I thought Schwartz's defense was too passive - too little pressure, too few blitzes, too many open check-down options - but overall I have to agree. Giving up 20 points against a potent Chicago offense is a solid outing.

Williams, Woods & Watkins were very good! I'd say exceptional, given the off the mark passes they caught. Chandler isn't as good, though he 'shouldof' caught a drive killing drop that was expectedly off the mark.

The team has true NFL talent just about everywhere, and should be competitive game in and out. Manuel's lifelong lack of Touchdown experience reared its ugly head in the childish way he celebrated his bootleg score and behind the LOS toss CJ took wide open to pay dirt. Act like ya been there -even if you haven't!

Special Teams was outstanding, kick coverage, punts, FG's and KO's.

The DB's shown, IMO. Yes, Chicago has fantastic receivers. Most teams -including us, do. The strip fumble speaks to their blanket coverage abilities, sans a blown assignment on the Bears opening drive.

LB play seemed unheralded, but overall effective, both in run and coverage.

TE & QB. Either, or both, will hurt us -unless well hidden.

Great post Bill. Agree on the guard play, where it was obviously bad was the screen plays. Both Pears and C. Williams got out in front of a screen play, with a defender to block and wiffed. Hopefully, they pick it up and gel as the season goes along.

Seem the turf was in bad shape no? Both Brown and McKelvin and slipped on TD passes.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Can a saint swear like a sailor without it affecting his status? Of course, when he said "holy &^%#, that was a bad call", he really knows from holy &^%#.

kj

Thanks for the post Bill. Good stuff. I thought special teams looked real good especially Carpenter, Schmidt, and Easley. Defense looked pretty good - 2 sacks and 3 turnovers. I was a little bummed out that the defense couldn't stop the Bears and gave up the tying FG at the end of regulation. Graham and Preston Brown looked real good. Spikes looked decent but not happy about the penalty he got. The offense looked fairly decent. Good game by Woods, Freddy and EJ made some nice plays today. I'm losing patience with Chandler and Chris Williams did not impress me. I thought Henderson held his own for his first game. A nice road win!

Penalties, penalties. You can not give up over 100 yards to the other team. I would have liked to see a few more shots down the field today. Too many runs up the middle with CJ. And wtf was with the run on 1st and 20?

The offensive line held up better than I thought they would. Overall good win.

Go Bills

Edited by DirtDart

2) You see, more than one player can win one single game for a football team. You tend to not want it to be either kicker, right?

In regulation, yes. But when it's the second possession of OT, and you're on the one, I couldn't care less if it's a kicker.

6) How great was that run by Fred Jackson? It was almost like story book stuff, ya know? He deserved that play as much as we did. Just so freaking cool!!!

They mentioned he's the oldest RB in the league. He certainly doesn't play like it. That was a monstrous stiff-arm he gave. He's a wicked combination of power and grace, and I'm not sure he's started to lose a step yet.

12) McKelvin had a rough outing. I hope he improves.

I tuned in just in time to see him blow the coverage on that 45-yard pass. He looked like he was running in glue. That was pretty atrocious.

McKelvin has proven that he can play the game...it's just a question of whether or not he will any given weekend. He's freakin' maddening.

Did anyone ever give an explanation for the refs picking up that obvious holding flag on KW on that long gainer towards the end? If I were Whaley and Marrone, I'd make sure the League hears plenty about that this week.

Heard from a friend who's a Fin fan that Brady was crying all game for the refs to help him out, to no avail. Perhaps Kraft's check didn't clear this year, so we may have a chance against them after all!

Did anyone ever give an explanation for the refs picking up that obvious holding flag on KW on that long gainer towards the end? If I were Whaley and Marrone, I'd make sure the League hears plenty about that this week.

Heard from a friend who's a Fin fan that Brady was crying all game for the refs to help him out, to no avail. Perhaps Kraft's check didn't clear this year, so we may have a chance against them after all!

That was brutal. There were a few bad calls today against us.

So much to be happy about today.....

I truly believe, all things being equal, last seasons team loses this one in heartbreaking fashion.

We have grown! Our coaches are more experienced. Our QB is better, smarter and poised. Our WRs are ballers. Our RBs will break other teams backs all season because our D is going to keep us in a lot of games.

Our STs were a pleasure today (fred? Why?)

Goodell is over tinkering with this game....the dback/WR relationship cannot be micro managed!!!!!

Nice win Fins!

Good post game thoughts Bill, as usual.

My thoughts...

1] Whaley needs credit. We lost a game because of Justin Rogers last year. We had crappy ST. Robey was a revelation as a slot #3 CB. What does Whaley do? He over pays for Corey Graham, who was the MVP of this game with Gilmore out. We have two good RB? What does he do? He signs or trades for two more, Dixon who has a good game, and Brown who is insurance.

2] Marrone sure has not lost the locker room. This team cae to play for him, even after that first drive.

3] The late acquisitions of Schmidt and Gay really played dividends today.

4] Henderson wasn't perfect but it was a huge sign that the actual live bullets wasn't too big for him.

5] Kyle made just a ridiculous hustle play on the INT. Every player in the NFL should have to watch a 30 minute session of GIF on that, showing what he did over and over.

6] Hackett was decent if not good. We had a nice balance. I would have liked to throw more downfield but overall he did well.

7] Brown had some slips and some bad plays but looked okay as backup. Bradham will be welcomed back.

8] Spikes is still a stud.

9] There were ten times when I thought this is the Bills and they will blow it, and they only did 2-3 of those 10 times and a few of them they were brilliant.

10] Chandler is very average. Robert Woods is very good.

11] Leodis was actual very decent, although he has to make the play when it is there.

12] Nickel Robey is just a stud. That is the way to play the game. On one deep pass he made three or four textbook decisions to make the pass breakup. Even on the amazing play Cutler made to avoid a sack, Robey made a nice play. He's such a valuable player.