Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing about Russ Brandon that shows he actually does know something about the football side of the franchise, is that it's pretty well known he fired himself from the GM job, knowing he was not the right man for it because he didn't know the football side.

Some people are viewing some of my comments as being critical of Russ Brandon. It is the opposite. In a very short period time he has quickly changed the structure of the organization from the old guard to a younger and more innovative staff. As you have previously noted Whaley has essentially supplanted Nix as a GM and Gailey was ousted as the HC.

There will now be a greater usage of analytics in scouting and player decisions. Using statistics as a "tool" to help make decisions can be very advantageous. Buddy is a "gut" person. That in itself is not bad but maybe if he were better versed in statistics he would have been more willing to draft Russell Wilson regardless of his height. In this particular case productivity was more revealing than body type.

The HC search process under Brandon was very professionally done. A wide range of good candidates were interviewed and a reasoned decision was made. Those involved in the process knew what they were looking for and they didn't hesitate to make a decision.

For a very long time the fundamental problem of this franchise was with the caliber of the organization. With a focus on building a quality staff it should result in better decisions and a better roster.

Edited by JohnC

We hate how the Bills have been run so it's natural to blame everyone in the organization. But it's not a fair way to assess people. Russ worked for Ralph. He did what Ralph wanted, even if he didn't think Ralph was doing the right thing. Ever tell a boss they are wrong? Russ did what any rising executive does, be a loyal employee, do your job well, and earn the trust of the boss. Now it's his show. Judge him from this point on.

PTR

We hate how the Bills have been run so it's natural to blame everyone in the organization. But it's not a fair way to assess people. Russ worked for Ralph. He did what Ralph wanted, even if he didn't think Ralph was doing the right thing. Ever tell a boss they are wrong? Russ did what any rising executive does, be a loyal employee, do your job well, and earn the trust of the boss. Now it's his show. Judge him from this point on.

PTR

I have told bosses they were wrong when I was absolutely sure they were.

Personally as a boss I have no use for sniveling yes-men. I need people who can think for themselves and don't have their noses up my butt.

I have told bosses they were wrong when I was absolutely sure they were.

Personally as a boss I have no use for sniveling yes-men. I need people who can think for themselves and don't have their noses up my butt.

For all we know, Brandon told Ralph when he thought he was wrong as well. I've done the same with my boss, and my staff will tell me when they disagree. But at the end of the day, if there is disagreement on a course of action, it's not going to be the employee who makes the decision.

I like the new direction of the front office so far, not sure what Buddy is actually doing.

Question: How is it that Buddy has gotten a pass with three years of losing, a disaster of coaching choices, and NO NFL starter

at the most important position on the field?

It's not even that the Bills don't have a starting QB, he hasn't even drafted a QB in three (3) years above round 6 or 7?

How is this possible?

:blink:

I dont live in Fl and dont really follow the Buffalo media too closely. From what I hear there isnt much backlash towards Russ Brandon? Is everyone aware in 1997 he came from the Florida Marlins. He is not a football guy, and didnt earn his way to the top through scouting. My thought is hes been in charge for years, and the brilliant PR guy that he is he made it seem as though there is change by Ralph giving him power. What is everyone elses thoughts?

wow, look at our roster prior to Nix coming in- we weren't exactly overflowing with quality. We are still missing the franchise QB although if we go get a number 2 wide reciever and a tight end and IF the defense doesnt give up 40 a game you can win with a Fitzpatrick or Matt Moore type. Who did we pass on who is ripping it up ?

It seems to me that Nix takes the coach into account when drafting. (makes sense to me) remember when Chan said he wanted a water bug scat back? Well nix got him the best water bug scat back he could find. People seem to think that buddy picks players in a vacuum. I believe that Chan wanted to ride with Fitz, and he died by Fitz.

Doug will tell Nix what he wants in a QB, and nix will find the best guy to fill the spot.

In my mind that is how it works.

Edited by JaxBills

It seems to me that Nix takes the coach into account when drafting. (makes sense to me) remember when Chan said he wanted a water bug scat back? Well nix got him the best water bug scat back he could find. People seem to think that buddy picks players in a vacuum. I believe that Chan wanted to ride with Fitz, and he died by Fitz.

Doug will tell Nix that he wants in a QB, and nix will find the best guy to fill the spot.

In my mind that is how it works.

I think this is correct. The odd thing is how Chan under-utilized Spiller.

I like the new direction of the front office so far, not sure what Buddy is actually doing.

Question: How is it that Buddy has gotten a pass with three years of losing, a disaster of coaching choices, and NO NFL starter

at the most important position on the field?

It's not even that the Bills don't have a starting QB, he hasn't even drafted a QB in three (3) years above round 6 or 7?

How is this possible?

:blink:

good question, all I can say is each draft has gotten slightly better but overall the talent level still isnt high enough with QB, WR, TE and LB needding big upgrades.

In all fairness to Nix, he "swung and missed" with Fitzpatrick. He is hardly the first, or only GM to have little success with finding a legit starting QB.

I didn't see buddy swing or miss with Fitz. He was on the roster when Nix arrived. Chan even started trentative Edwards before giving him a go. Also, until he signed that contract last year, he looked like he was going to be alright. He is the only bills QB to beat the patriots in how many years? But... One 7th round QB in three years is bad. I'm still starting to think that Chan had more to do with not drafting a QB. Edited by JaxBills

In all fairness to Nix, he "swung and missed" with Fitzpatrick. He is hardly the first, or only GM to have little success with finding a legit starting QB.

I agree but he missed on the coach, D coordinator, as well as he hasnt drafted well at all. Add all that up he needs to go

I didn't see buddy swing or miss with Fitz. He was on the roster when Nix arrived. Chan even started trentative Edwards before giving him a go. Also, until he signed that contract last year, he looked like he was going to be alright. He is the only bills QB to beat the patriots in how many years? But... One 7th round QB in three years is bad. I'm still starting to think that Chan had more to do with not drafting a QB.

Wow. I almost forgot about that.

I can see "missing" on a QB, or two, but Buddy has all but ignored the position via the draft, like it doesn't even exist.

Because outside of taking a big risk on not much of an upgrade in Dalton, or a HUGE risk in catching lightning in a bottle with Russel Wilson, the Bills havent been in a position to acquire a QB that would be any sort of upgrade to Fitz.

Yes, what a HUGE risk it would have been to use our 3d round pick on an unbelievably successful college QB from a major program. We would have missed the chance to pick TJ GRAHAM!! Imagine where would be without him.

Edited by mannc

do you mean get a pass from us the fans or a pass from the bills organizition? because i wouldnt necessarily say they give him a pass from the bills organzition. he didnt get fired but russ brandon is pretty much the man in charge now

Edited by billsfan11

I dont live in Fl and dont really follow the Buffalo media too closely. From what I hear there isnt much backlash towards Russ Brandon? Is everyone aware in 1997 he came from the Florida Marlins. He is not a football guy, and didnt earn his way to the top through scouting. My thought is hes been in charge for years, and the brilliant PR guy that he is he made it seem as though there is change by Ralph giving him power. What is everyone elses thoughts?

Which CEOs of teams came from the scouting department? Or are football guys? It's an organizational and structural position more than a football one. It could help him when selecting a GM, but its FAR from a job requirement. His role is essentially owner, not GM.

Edited by NoSaint

I guess its a good thing that he isn't the GM then, isn't it? Did Bob Kraft start at the bottom and rise through the scouting ranks to become president of the Patriots?

Yes, what a HUGE risk it would have been to use our 3d round pick on an unbelievably successful college QB from a major program. We would have missed the chance to pick TJ GRAHAM!! Imagine where would be without him.

Risk wasnt the right word, I apologize. More like "leap of faith" that an undersized 3rd rounder would turn out. It's not just the pick value that is risked, but then you risk QB controversy in the locker room and/or from the fans. And does it delay/prevent us from taking a real franchise QB this year (or for the next 3 years) if we have this mediocre prospect on the bench? And yes, he would be on the bench for the Bills. And no, he would not necessarily have the same success in Buffalo as he did in Seattle.

So if the main argument is, Nix ignored the QB position when he had a chance to take a questionable 3rd rounder, then yeah, he gets a pass from me for now. The fact is there was never a clear Franchise QB at any of our picks (Newton, Luck, RG3). The team had/has plenty of other holes.

Now, I will say that this year is Nix's year to prove it and get a franchise QB. But I dont fault him for not pulling the trigger on any of the middle-tier guys over the last 3 drafts.

Because outside of taking a big risk on not much of an upgrade in Dalton, or a HUGE risk in catching lightning in a bottle with Russel Wilson, the Bills havent been in a position to acquire a QB that would be any sort of upgrade to Fitz.

If so, name them.

Yeah, What would the Bills do if they missed out on TJ Graham?

Leaving Wilson out of it, would you feel better about your team if the had Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins on the roster? I would.

Yeah, What would the Bills do if they missed out on TJ Graham?

Leaving Wilson out of it, would you feel better about your team if the had Nick Foles or Kirk Cousins on the roster? I would.

Yes, I like both of those guys. But I cant say that either of them are better than Fitz right now.

I guess it's just that I understand where Nix is coming from. He doesnt want to take a QB just to take a QB. He wants to replace Fitz with a clear upgrade and Franchise QB.

Neither Foles or Cousins are starting. They are backing up real Franchise QBs (arguable with Vick, I know, but still).

If you want to replace Fitz, the guy who is known around here as "the guy who should be a career backup", with another career backup, I just dont see how that is improving. Just different. Kinda like the FO changes that you dont believe in and hate so much. More of the same, right?

Edited by DrDareustein

What exactly is a football guy? Brandon played football in college. Todd Haley was a golfer in college. Is Todd Haley not a football guy?

Brandon paid his dues and climbed the corporate ladder. He's a local guy so why not just respect the hustle?

I dont understand the hate for this guy. DJ was making all the personal decisions, not Russ when he was "GM". Russ went out and hired a lifelong scout to rebuild the football team and helped to hire an up and coming FO guy in Whaley. He's made overtures to Shannahan, Chip Kelley, Jon Gruden to be our coach. Its not like he hasn't tried to make this team better.

I firmly believe a person doesnt get into this business unless they want to produce a champion. This isn't about purely money. I can't imagine a man working in that capacity that doesn't want to win. It just doesn't make sense

Yes, I like both of those guys. But I cant say that either of them are better than Fitz right now.

But you know what Fitz is. You knew where his ceiling is and it's not high enough.

I disagree BTW. I'm not a billiever in Fitz. Foles and Cousins each have much better arms than Fitz.

OP: We outsiders don't know for sure that he's been given a pass, only that he's not fired yet.

What we do know is that Russ was unequivocal in his insistence that the overall roster has improved under Buddy.

It could be another Modrak situation, Nix may be forced to retire after the draft.

Edited by BRAWNDO