Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

Actually, what is pathetic is your insistence on criticizing others who want to express a valid opinion. Of course the proof is in the pudding as you say. However, hard to see today's announcement as anything but a positive development. While the towns folk with pitchforks were certainly hoping Nix would be fired as well, this would make absolutely no sense at this point in terms of attracting a top flight coach. Having control of the decision making resting in Buffalo with a committed executive team rather than an absentee owner who is clearly not on top of his game is what many have been screaming for. I have yet to see on this board any rational alternatives suggested. If you have some suggest them, but spare us the "hard bitten realist" act while condemning those who might look for the positive aspects of today's news.

I said "Talk is Cheap" and was attacked by PTR for it. So what are you talking about? Get your facts right!!! Now I am definitely attacking your inaccuracy!!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the callers today are mental midgets. Like they can't comprehend the magnitude of what happened today. Basically there is not one bit of news Bills fans would look at as positive. The negativity is in our DNA.

PTR

It's the SAME PEOPLE making the decisions going forward that have bungled their way through the last three seasons. No, I don't look at that as positive.

"The football analytics department will fall under Jim Overdorf's organization and will have more to do with the non-sexy parts of football administration."

That is probably where it should fall, as it is statistical analysis--- although this may be an area where fresh young minds from outside of the organization should be brought in.

This discussion is living proof why anybody would want to be a coach of the Bills. Where else would you find fans who have not given up on a team after 13 straight seasons without being in the playoffs? It's New Years Day, there's a lot of football on tv, and here we have 30 plus pages of passion about our team.

One sentence in the WGR story that hit me was that they've heard from 20 people interested in coaching. That's good news.

If Ralph authorized 100 million on Mario, they'll spend what it takes to get a great coach. They should just invite all the fans to fill the stadium when the coach comes to town. We'll get somebody good.

Nix is being given the courtesy of a graceful exit. They will allow him to stay and provide input into the draft. That doesn't mean they'll do what he says....but the possibility exists that he might have something positive to add to the discussion. This is the guy who traded up to get TJ last year.

Great job opportunity in WNY. Coaching in front of the most passionate fans in sports. We just don't give up.

Great take, and a total sea change from where the organization was viewed the last time. It seems like candidates are lining up.

It's the SAME PEOPLE making the decisions going forward that have bungled their way through the last three seasons. No, I don't look at that as positive.

^ at least one poster gets it. Succinctly put and well-said. :)

Okay. Give me you best fantasy press conference today. Make up anything you want, as long as it's something that everyone here would be ecstatic over. Show me you can do more than piss on everything.

PTR

"wilson announces the sale of the buffalo bills to someone with true aspirations of winning a super bowl in the next 3 years". Edited by birdog1960

I quote from Russ Brandon:

"Buddy Nix's talent evaluation skills are unmatched."

"Buddy Nix is still our GM. There is no reduction in his power within the organization."

"The football analytics department will fall under Jim Overdorf's organization and will have more to do with the non-sexy parts of football administration."

"Most of the front office personnel here have been here for longer than I have because they do a great job."

Maintaining Buddy Nix as the lead personnel guy is a dubious decision no matter how Russ spins it.

Your words were that it was perfect as is, and if that were the case they would not be fortifying the operation in the ways you mentioned. I don't claim to know the specifics but for all we know Ralph placed limited priority on scouting and didn't give them everything they needed. This tells me the team can potentially enter a new era if Brandon is truly able to put RW's money where his mouth is.

^ at least one poster gets it. Succinctly put and well-said. :)

The group-think transpiring reminds me of 12/31/2009 when Nix was hired. It's wasn't fair to be negative back then. Three weeks later when Gailey was hired several people denounced those who weren't happy with the hire.

Most companies do qualitative analysis as a means of continuous improvement. The Bills doing it isn't revolutionary, but I find it hard to mesh this concept with a GM who does not follow established trends throughout the NFL, like taking a QB. Nevertheless, he's sticking around and his first HC pays the price.

That sound you heard was the sound of that PC going right over your head.

I said "Talk is Cheap" and was attacked by PTR for it. So what are you talking about? Get your facts right!!! Now I am definitely attacking your inaccuracy!!

I do have my facts right. You called PTR "pathetic" which was the point of the bolded line. Still waiting for your suggestions or specific rationale for why today's announcement was not positive. I have read all your bitches in this thread.

Ralph won't be making decisions; he just retired.

Gailey won't be making decisions; he was just fired.

Buddy won't be making decisions in a vacuum; he'll have a team assisting him with a state-of-the-art analytics department.

If you call that the same people making decisions, that's your prerogative. I disagree. I also believe Buddy Nix has made some very good decisions upgrading the talent on this roster in three years.

did yall miss the part about selling?

Thats a nice wish, and one that most Bills fans share (myself included). But it's not going to happen. Too much money involved in the double-tax hit that Ralph's family would take. So given that, here is our next best option. Get Ralph out of having any input whatsoever and get some youth in there (Brandon and Whaley).

The group-think transpiring reminds me of 12/31/2009 when Nix was hired. It's wasn't fair to be negative back then. Three weeks later when Gailey was hired several people denounced those who weren't happy with the hire.

Most companies do qualitative analysis as a means of continuous improvement. The Bills doing it isn't revolutionary, but I find it hard to mesh this concept with a GM who does not follow established trends throughout the NFL, like taking a QB. Nevertheless, he's sticking around and his first HC pays the price.

Totally. You are one of the few posters on this board that is capable of seeing through the rhetoric spewed at One Bills Drive. The groupthink on this board is nothing short of comical.

That said, it's hard to blame die-hard fans from having hope, especially when they are spending thousands of dollars of their hard-earned money on season tickets. Nevertheless, fans deserve better than what they are getting and it is my sincere hope that Ralph Wilson's estate sells the team to an entirely new ownership group committed to winning upon his inevitable (and unfortunate) death.

YES!!!! PT Brandon has no limitations or restrictions, and we still have a 70 year old GM, who Brandon described as a great talent evaluator, but not once did he mention if Nix even has a clue how to build a NFL team.

I was wrong earlier, and I apologize....things are looking up, and 13 years of sucking has immediately been erased from my memory!!!! It is amazing what one press conference from a public relations whiz kid can do.

GO BILLS!

That sound you heard was the sound of that PC going right over your head.

With all due respect, Scott, you're wrong. The personnel department remains the same and will continue to remain the same, as stated by Russ Brandon.

Some healthy skepticism is completely understood and can be respected, but the reasons for the disapproval need to be valid or at least based in the reality of what was said in the press conference and where the Bills are going with the transition to Whaley.

Edited by DrDareustein

YES!!!! PT Brandon has no limitations or restrictions, and we still have a 70 year old GM, who Brandon described as a great talent evaluator, but not once did he mention if Nix even has a clue how to build a NFL team.

I was wrong earlier, and I apologize....things are looking up, and 13 years of sucking has immediately been erased from my memory!!!! It is amazing what one press conference from a public relations whiz kid can do.

GO BILLS!

^Another objective fan who gets it. :)