Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

Brandon (paraphrased):

"With regards to Buddy Nix, there is no loss of power, I know that might be the perception but Buddy will lose no power."

Understand, EssJay, that at Buddy's age, lots of men lose at least some power, so Brandon must know something about Nix's power that we don't - like maybe Buddy's taking FloMax, or some generic equivalent. :beer:

Regarding the GM sitch, just my own 2 groszy here : Buddy Nix has been heavily involved with and has intimate knowledge of the Bills scouting, player evaluations, and strategies for for 2013 draft, and therefore will be employed by the team until at least the end of April. (Kinda like the timing when we finally got rid of Modrak.) After May, I would expect a graceful transition to Doug Whaley - or, preferably, some other young new GM that had nothing to do with the old regime.

(I'd be more in favor of David Caldwell as GM, and fellow John Carrol alum Greg Roman as HC - a total 'youth movement' in FO and on-the-field leadership.)

JMO.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simple Yes or No question: do you like the roster today on a whole more than in 2009?

NO!!!

NO.

The roster is not significantly better, despite what Buddy Nix claims. Even if the roster were "slightly" better than it was in 2009, does that justify Buddy Nix's 3-year tenure? It sure doesn't.

(I'd be more in favor of David Caldwell as GM, and fellow John Carrol alum Greg Roman as HC - a total 'youth movement' in FO and on-the-field leadership.)

^ Correct. This is exactly what this franchise needs, but continually resists.

Now this is good news, and it just might get me to start thinking things will change for the better.

However, I remain highly skeptical of this franchise because the only thing that has really changed is that the owner stepped away...for now. Wilson did this before with Tom Donahoe, how did that turn out?

With the team's only winning season in the past decade, sabotaged by poor qb play. Also with the coach departing because the meddlesome owner was bugging Donahoe daily and Mularkey as well.

Rus Brandon was already in charge of football operations back in 2008-2010 as de facto GM after Marv stepped down, how did that turn out?

It was clearly different because Ralph was calling the shots, Brandon was only a trusted advisor with limited autonomy. And he was shackled to Dick Jauron, a low cost, low energy hire.

So not being excited that the same guys are still making the decisions for the team going forward means you should stop following the team? They sold status quo as change and want people to pat them on the back. If they hire a good coach, great! I would love it, but right now it's the same cast of guys saying that they are tired of losing, but the group of guys who have been here for the losing are the best they can get. Ok. So what's new?

^ Another objective fan who gets it. :)

Read the last few pages. Its already been discussed and explained. First by Brandon, and then by a few different posters.

I have. So Russ Brandon doesn't have to get permission from Ralph Wilson. Nobody really knows how involved Ralph was in hiring Gailey or in drafting a QB or any of that in the first place. They talked a big game today about leaving no stone unturned and hiring the best guy available. In 2010 they said they could spend $10 million a year on a coach. Obviously they didn't do that.

If the roster was that much better, The Bills would fare better against playoff caliber teams. Instead they put up Ws against teams like KC, CLE, AZ and other mediocre or bad teams.

It's really that simple? Nothing to do with the horrible game plans put out by our former coaches?

Wish he would have demoted nix to O-line scout, that said I think Nix has done slightly better each draft with 2010 being a disaster, 2011 has potential and this years first two pick looking great but already cutting 4 picks from that draft is not a good sign with the lack of talent on this roster.

I actually Brandon may have had the best draft this decade in 09 when Marv stepped down and he drafted Wood, Levitre and Byrd. Of course Drafting Maybin was beyond retarded when we could have Mathews, Cushing or Orakpo but There was talk that Jauron influenced the Maybin pick.

Nix better find a QB or none of this will Matter.

I have. So Russ Brandon doesn't have to get permission from Ralph Wilson. Nobody really knows how involved Ralph was in hiring Gailey or in drafting a QB or any of that in the first place. They talked a big game today about leaving no stone unturned and hiring the best guy available. In 2010 they said they could spend $10 million a year on a coach. Obviously they didn't do that.

They have a coach who has playoff and Super bowl appearances calling them on day one. Tells me the roster and state of the franchise is not as far gone as the negative nancies think.

If the roster was that much better, The Bills would fare better against playoff caliber teams. Instead they put up Ws against teams like KC, CLE, AZ and other mediocre or bad teams.

And my friend; that is the reason Gailey and the rest were canned....

They have a coach who has playoff and Super bowl appearances calling them on day one. Tells me the roster and state of the franchise is not as far gone as the negative nancies think.

Brian Billick and Marty Shottenheimer supposedly wanted to interview in 2010.

Exactly. The Bills didn't hold a press conference to tell everyone they made a change in a powerpoint chart.

Actually they pretty much did. With Mr. Wilsons age and failing health it is not a big stretch to assume that Brandon has been making decisions for some time, with a rubber stamp approval from Mr. Wilson. All that has been removed, in my opinion, is the rubber stamp. Probably more efficient and seems to be having a positive impact on many of the Bills faithful. But at the end of the day more yawn than mind blowing.

So if someone hates everything about this move, they're "objective", but if not, they're unrealistic?

Obviously, you are only perceived as "objective" as long as you agree with his opinions. Otherwise, you are stupid and a kool-aid drinker.

It's really that simple? Nothing to do with the horrible game plans put out by our former coaches?

That is definitely a factor. The Russ-Buddy-Whaley-Overdorf team has the opportunity to hire the right staff to develop the talent, put together game plans, and ultimately turn this once proud Franchise around.

This is just a great, great point.

Also remember that Nix loved Cam Newton. He doesn't hate QBs or have no clue about them. If Andrew Luck did what 99% of college athletes would have done IMO and left college when he was going to be the number 1 overall pick but instead stayed in college, the Bills would have drafted Newton. There simply wasn't a great choice for QB last year in round one.

Russell Wilson was a complete freak and there was and likely will be no one like him as far as potential draft picks would go. I would have loved him in round three last year but everyone in the league had questions about his height that didn't turn out to be a factor.

Agreed. It strikes me that nix thinks top qbs come from top picks. Not a bad philosophy, problem is when we had the top 3 pick it was gabbert and locker (newton out of play) and when we had 10 it was impossible to get up to either of the ultra rare quality of qbs - could have traded for tannehill or taken wheeden (meh on both fronts) and when we took spiller it was clausen vs tebow.

I don't doubt if we were at 3 and luck went Carolina wed grab cam.

Edited by NoSaint

So not being excited that the same guys are still making the decisions for the team going forward means you should stop following the team? They sold status quo as change and want people to pat them on the back. If they hire a good coach, great! I would love it, but right now it's the same cast of guys saying that they are tired of losing, but the group of guys who have been here for the losing are the best they can get. Ok. So what's new?

Really? A press conference, an article on the main page, and a 30+ page thread, and you still can't identify that the difference is that Ralph Wilson will no longer be approving any decisions related to the organization?

Honestly guys, what is so hard to understand?