Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

With all due respect, Scott, you're wrong. The personnel department remains the same and will continue to remain the same, as stated by Russ Brandon.

So all the talk about the smooth transition to Whaley as GM didnt happen?

Ralph not meddling in player picks and signings wont change anything?

Having no restrictions for hiring a head coach isnt different?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This discussion is living proof why anybody would want to be a coach of the Bills. Where else would you find fans who have not given up on a team after 13 straight seasons without being in the playoffs? It's New Years Day, there's a lot of football on tv, and here we have 30 plus pages of passion about our team.

One sentence in the WGR story that hit me was that they've heard from 20 people interested in coaching. That's good news.

If Ralph authorized 100 million on Mario, they'll spend what it takes to get a great coach. They should just invite all the fans to fill the stadium when the coach comes to town. We'll get somebody good.

Nix is being given the courtesy of a graceful exit. They will allow him to stay and provide input into the draft. That doesn't mean they'll do what he says....but the possibility exists that he might have something positive to add to the discussion. This is the guy who traded up to get TJ last year.

Great job opportunity in WNY. Coaching in front of the most passionate fans in sports. We just don't give up.

Agree with TC.

This news gets better with age and as more details come out.

I think Brandon has the tools to be a good President as long as he has a good GM and that he lets the GM run the football side.

I think Whaley will take over at the draft. Nix always talked about this job as temporary, now he gets a graceful exit after he wraps up the scouting report and the evaluations.

Remember the evalution and scoring of players is Nix's skill, not the actual selection process. A good GM seems to know how to pick the right guy when you have a board full of equally ranked players all at different postions. Up until this job as GM of the Bills, Nix was a grader, not a ranker and not a selector. Lets all hope that Whaley has skills needed to make better picks.

Lots of coaches are interested in the Bills right now. That tells you that the buzz arround the league is a positive one for Brandon and for Whaley. Ralph turning things over is also a contributor to this.

I am starting to get happy about this. I see this as a step forward and yet it holds "continuity" too.

Next, we need Ralph to have a plan to sell the team to a Buffalo ownership group.

cheers, Bob

Edited by Bob in STL

With all due respect, Scott, you're wrong. The personnel department remains the same and will continue to remain the same, as stated by Russ Brandon.

I agree with what your saying with two exceptions. RW is not involved anymore in the decisions and the new HC will have input. I'm going to be optimistic and hope that things improve.

The group-think transpiring reminds me of 12/31/2009 when Nix was hired. It's wasn't fair to be negative back then. Three weeks later when Gailey was hired several people denounced those who weren't happy with the hire.

Most companies do qualitative analysis as a means of continuous improvement. The Bills doing it isn't revolutionary, but I find it hard to mesh this concept with a GM who does not follow established trends throughout the NFL, like taking a QB. Nevertheless, he's sticking around and his first HC pays the price.

That's a fair assessment, and Nix needs to hit on this QB choice. I think they've both underestimated the value of QBs in the draft and not been in sync with the coaching staff in some of their FA acquisitions at the position. What I do hope is that the new HC is someone who inspires confidence and a large part of that will have to do with the QBs he chooses to work with.

What people need to realize is that this is the end of RW decisions made based on gut or loyalty - firing Wade, Marv's GM stint, drafting Rodney Wright, Johnson over Flutie, etc. This is just to name a few of the missteps attributed to RW.

Russ Brandon is the Man now.

I hope and Wish Ralph good health. But it was time. And with Nix gone likely after the draft this Franchise is finally make a move and I like it.

I hope the Bills hire Lovie Smith. Then we get a QB on we can turn this thing around quick.

I do have my facts right. You called PTR "pathetic" which was the point of the bolded line. Still waiting for your suggestions or specific rationale for why today's announcement was not positive. I have read all your bitches in this thread.

Once again, I said directed at nobody, "Russ Brandon is not Cheap, but Talk is" He responded to me as if after 13 years it was unreasonable. Contrary to your characterization of any posts by me as "bitching", I like what Brandon had to say about owning the past failures and things getting better moving forward. But it means nothing given the history. Wearing rose colored glasses for the Bills is pathetic IMO. Show me the baby. Happy New Year.

^ at least one poster gets it. Succinctly put and well-said. :)

No he doesnt.

Ive been in more than one organization like the Bills....where a "meddling" old owner totally screwed up the whole works. And when he stepped aside and re-organized the operation with the SAME people, when positive direction and roles were properly assigned, EVERYTHING changed.

Huge, world class companies make re-orgs like the Bills did today regularly. Are they "stupid", too?

Remember the evalution and scoring of players is Nix's skill, not the actual selection process. A good GM seems to know how to pick the right guy when you have a board full of equally ranked players all at different postions. Up until this job as GM of the Bills, Nix was a grader, not a ranker and not a selector. Lets all hope that Whaley has skills needed to make better picks.

This is just a great, great point.

Also remember that Nix loved Cam Newton. He doesn't hate QBs or have no clue about them. If Andrew Luck did what 99% of college athletes would have done IMO and left college when he was going to be the number 1 overall pick but instead stayed in college, the Bills would have drafted Newton. There simply wasn't a great choice for QB last year in round one.

Russell Wilson was a complete freak and there was and likely will be no one like him as far as potential draft picks would go. I would have loved him in round three last year but everyone in the league had questions about his height that didn't turn out to be a factor.

There is certainly disagreement about how well Nix has done in his job of building the roster and rebuilding the personnel side of the business. The failure to have a developmental QB on the roster by now is the biggest failure in my opinion. However, I do not buy into the logic of some posters here that Nix has been a failure. The roster is much better today than 3 years ago.

The importance of today's announcement in terms of attracting a top coach cannot be overstated in my opinion. I suspect that knowledgeable football people around the league have a much different opinion of the Nix and the job he has done than many posters here. There has been valid concern that I have seen expressed about the Bills in terms of commitment, continuity, and the role of Mr. wilson in the decision making of the organization. I think this has been addressed. By addressing these negatives the Bills will be a more attractive situation. Continuity along with more streamlined decision making is the point of today and an important one in my view.

@salmaiorana

No. A reality check. I've heard enough talk. Show us all. RT @PromoTheRobot @salmaiorana You having a humbug contest with Jerry Sullivan?

:D :D :D

There it is, the trifecta has been completed.

I've seen the terms "kool-aid drinkers", "rose colored glasses" and now "realist/reality check" thrown around by the complainers.

We et the skepticism. ALL Bills fans understand where that is coming from. We've all been through this for the past 13 years and it sucks. But pissing in the cherrios doesnt do anything. If you arent enjoying this, then why bother? Find another hobby and be happy.

The failure to have a developmental QB on the roster by now is the biggest failure in my opinion. However, I do not buy into the logic of some posters here that Nix has been a failure. The roster is much better today than 3 years ago.

This assertion is flat-out incorrect. The roster is NOT much better than it was 3 years ago.

- As you pointed out, he failed to draft a developmental QB.

- The pass rush has not improved significantly in spite of the vast sums of money spent in that area.

- The Bills' defense completed one of the worst defensive seasons in franchise history despite a bevy of draft picks dedicated to the unit.

- The linebacking corps is abysmal, in large part due to a dependence on past-his-prime Shawne Merriman and Nick Barnett. Sheppard has not developed into a starting caliber MLB.

- The cornerbacks have regressed. Gillmore was a good selection with great potential but Aaron Williams was ranked as the one of the worst corners in the league.

- Failed to find a solid outside receiver to compliment Stevie Johnson and instead collected a bevy of slot receivers like TJ Graham and David Nelson

- Failed to bring in an athletic, pass-catching tight end and Chandler hardly qualifies. Had Rob Gronkowski staring him in the face during the draft and chose to pick Torrell Troup instead. Troup has been an outright bust.

There it is, the trifecta has been completed.

I've seen the terms "kool-aid drinkers", "rose colored glasses" and now "realist/reality check" thrown around by the complainers.

We et the skepticism. ALL Bills fans understand where that is coming from. We've all been through this for the past 13 years and it sucks. But pissing in the cherrios doesnt do anything. If you arent enjoying this, then why bother? Find another hobby and be happy.

So not being excited that the same guys are still making the decisions for the team going forward means you should stop following the team? They sold status quo as change and want people to pat them on the back. If they hire a good coach, great! I would love it, but right now it's the same cast of guys saying that they are tired of losing, but the group of guys who have been here for the losing are the best they can get. Ok. So what's new?

This assertion is flat-out incorrect. The roster is NOT much better than it was 3 years ago.

Simple Yes or No question: do you like the roster today on a whole more than in 2009?

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Buffalo has asked for permission to interview Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy for its HC job.

Now this is good news, and it just might get me to start thinking things will change for the better.

However, I remain highly skeptical of this franchise because the only thing that has really changed is that the owner stepped away...for now. Wilson did this before with Tom Donahoe, how did that turn out?

Rus Brandon was already in charge of football operations back in 2008-2010 as de facto GM after Marv stepped down, how did that turn out?

So not being excited that the same guys are still making the decisions for the team going forward means you should stop following the team? They sold status quo as change and want people to pat them on the back. If they hire a good coach, great! I would love it, but right now it's the same cast of guys saying that they are tired of losing, but the group of guys who have been here for the losing are the best they can get. Ok. So what's new?

Read the last few pages. Its already been discussed and explained. First by Brandon, and then by a few different posters.

- As you pointed out, he failed to draft a developmental QB.

- The pass rush has not improved significantly in spite of the vast sums of money spent in that area.

- The Bills' defense completed one of the worst defensive seasons in franchise history despite a bevy of draft picks dedicated to the unit.

- The linebacking corps is abysmal, in large part due to a dependence on past-his-prime Shawne Merriman and Nick Barnett. Sheppard has not developed into a starting caliber MLB.

- The cornerbacks have regressed. Gillmore was a good selection with great potential but Aaron Williams was ranked as the one of the worst corners in the league.

- Failed to find a solid outside receiver to compliment Stevie Johnson and instead collected a bevy of slot receivers like TJ Graham and David Nelson

- Failed to bring in an athletic, pass-catching tight end and Chandler hardly qualifies. Had Rob Gronkowski staring him in the face during the draft and chose to pick Torrell Troup instead. Troup has been an outright bust.

If the roster was that much better, The Bills would fare better against playoff caliber teams. Instead they put up Ws against teams like KC, CLE, AZ and other mediocre or bad teams.