Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And you guys don't think that "Ken" sounded like an idiot? Wait, sorry for calling one of you names.

I don't care how he sounded. Sure, his suggestion of Billick was idiotic. But the main point he made -- that the decision to retain Buddy Nix after 3 years of poor drafting and questionable roster-management decisions -- is a bad one.

The point the caller was making was that it's ridiculous for Russ Brandon to stand up there after longest playoff drought in NFL history and claim that the personnel department is perfect, as-is.

But that's not what Brandon did.

I think it's clear the purpose of this PC was to announce the retirement of Mr. Wilson, and put the NFL on notice that there won't be any more meddling by Ralph.

The point the caller was making was that it's ridiculous for Russ Brandon to stand up there after longest playoff drought in NFL history and claim that the personnel department is perfect, as-is.

You need to clean your ears out because I'm pretty sure I heard him talk about adding a football analytics dept and bringing in more world class people including the HC to evaluate talent. You needn't believe him, but don't put words in the man's mouth.

Without a great quarterback it doesn't work? See, here is the kind of insightful, progressive thinking that we need around here.

hey I do my part. But think of the failures which have happened when a "great coach" doesn't have the "great QB." How good was Shanahan when he didn't have Elway or RG3? Holmgrem didn't look as good without Favre.

Thanks, already knew that. It's downright pathetic however.

Actually, what is pathetic is your insistence on criticizing others who want to express a valid opinion. Of course the proof is in the pudding as you say. However, hard to see today's announcement as anything but a positive development. While the towns folk with pitchforks were certainly hoping Nix would be fired as well, this would make absolutely no sense at this point in terms of attracting a top flight coach. Having control of the decision making resting in Buffalo with a committed executive team rather than an absentee owner who is clearly not on top of his game is what many have been screaming for. I have yet to see on this board any rational alternatives suggested. If you have some suggest them, but spare us the "hard bitten realist" act while condemning those who might look for the positive aspects of today's news.

I don't care how he sounded. Sure, his suggestion of Billick was idiotic. But the main point he made -- that the decision to retain Buddy Nix after 3 years of poor drafting and questionable roster-management decisions -- is a bad one.

The idiotic part is that guy has no idea what he would want to make things better. All he can do is B word, B word, and B word some more. Ask him what he would do to make things better and you get brain lock.

PTR

You need to clean your ears out because I'm pretty sure I heard him talk about adding a football analytics dept and bringing in more world class people including the HC to evaluate talent. You needn't believe him, but don't put words in the man's mouth.

I quote from Russ Brandon:

"Buddy Nix's talent evaluation skills are unmatched."

"Buddy Nix is still our GM. There is no reduction in his power within the organization."

"The football analytics department will fall under Jim Overdorf's organization and will have more to do with the non-sexy parts of football administration."

"Most of the front office personnel here have been here for longer than I have because they do a great job."

Maintaining Buddy Nix as the lead personnel guy is a dubious decision no matter how Russ spins it.

This discussion is living proof why anybody would want to be a coach of the Bills. Where else would you find fans who have not given up on a team after 13 straight seasons without being in the playoffs? It's New Years Day, there's a lot of football on tv, and here we have 30 plus pages of passion about our team.

One sentence in the WGR story that hit me was that they've heard from 20 people interested in coaching. That's good news.

If Ralph authorized 100 million on Mario, they'll spend what it takes to get a great coach. They should just invite all the fans to fill the stadium when the coach comes to town. We'll get somebody good.

Nix is being given the courtesy of a graceful exit. They will allow him to stay and provide input into the draft. That doesn't mean they'll do what he says....but the possibility exists that he might have something positive to add to the discussion. This is the guy who traded up to get TJ last year.

Great job opportunity in WNY. Coaching in front of the most passionate fans in sports. We just don't give up.

i don't get how PTR gets so much heat for his opinion? One guy is happy about his new big shiny balloon, a bunch of others have to come in and let the air out...

just ignore the balloon?

I agree. I hate to see a thread derailed by attack dogs that disagree.

But that's not what Brandon did.

I think it's clear the purpose of this PC was to announce the retirement of Mr. Wilson, and put the NFL on notice that there won't be any more meddling by Ralph.

I didn't see the press conf, but reading all the comments here, it seems like Russ pulled off a good mArketing move-- create enough small change to get the disgruntled fan base back on board.

This has--- if nothing else--- put the Bills on the front page of every sports news organization's website and given them prime airtime at the most crucial part of the HC hiring season. They just need to make the right pick.

hey I do my part. But think of the failures which have happened when a "great coach" doesn't have the "great QB." How good was Shanahan when he didn't have Elway or RG3? Holmgrem didn't look as good without Favre.

I understand what you're saying, a great QB will make any coach look good and a bad QB will make the best coach look like a fool. We need a top notch QB and then it won't matter who's coaching.

Meh. What do you expect? This is a whole lot of nothing to worry about. You're making something encouraging - that the new man at the top of the chain believes in a 21st century operation based on statistics, has and will bring in more staffers who know what do with it, and a GM who says he has to learn and wants to use it - into another topic of complaint. Classic Bills fan move. I chuckle when I hear people talk about how we're the greatest fans, because they're always omitting the "at whining and beliggerent alcoholism" part.

What did I expect? For the "new era" Bills to fire Nix along with Chan.

Some of Brandon's first words referenced a new start with a focus on the Bills being a proactive, energetic, hard charging organization.

A lot of what he said sounded right and was said with conviction. The picture of the future he painted does not include people like Nix. He represents the past, not the future.

yes, there is. sadly, it wasn't announced today.

Okay. Give me you best fantasy press conference today. Make up anything you want, as long as it's something that everyone here would be ecstatic over. Show me you can do more than piss on everything.

PTR

I agree, GM contracts expire May 1st, so could very likely see that happening

A very telling thing will be to see if Doug Whaley has any interviews with other teams over the next month. If he doesn't, that indicates to me the transition is sooner rather than later.

For all we know, the "transition" to Whaley as GM could occur immediately after the draft.

People: if the WORST case scenario here is that this is all a giant ruse undertaken to better our odds of landing a top coaching staff, wouldn't even that be a positive development?

Whether or not you buy what is being sold today, you have to admit this will help land a good coach. And so you shouldn't complain.

The idiotic part is that guy has no idea what he would want to make things better. All he can do is B word, B word, and B word some more. Ask him what he would do to make things better and you get brain lock.

PTR

He did have a suggestion -- he felt that the front office needed to be revamped! The talking heads asked him about who is dream coach would be and he sounded like a moron, sure. But this is the problem with Bills fans and talking heads in general. You can swap in any head coach you want. But if this terrible personnel department continues to be in charge, building a winning franchise is difficult. Look at the Flacons, they began their ascent when they brought in Thomas Dimitroff to run the football operation. The Bills need that type of hire in the worst way. Instead, they kept the same cronies in the front office. It's truly unfortunate.