Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

The more things change, The more they stay the same.... the ONLY thing that changes is Rus Brandon now has say over everything on the team and RW steps away. Rus Brandon was the de facto GM from 2008-2010 after Marv left. If that tells you where this team is headed.

Buddy Nix has the exact same control over everything he had control over before this move, as Nix is head of football operations.

Let's not forget that Nix thought Gailey was the best offensive mind in the NFL. If it were up to Nix, Gailey would still be the HC just like he stated a few weeks ago. :sick: Oh, it was an organizational decision to fire Chan, but ultimately it was Buddy Nix's call....yea, right after RW told him what he wanted done.

Who the Bills hire as their next Head Coach will show the world exactly what has changed....if anything. This next HC will define the future of the team

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are my thoughts:

1] This is both good and bad. Russ Brandon is GREAT at his job. If he does indeed stay out of football decisions as he says he will, then this is a positive step. It helps with bringing in a good coach.

2] The Nix thing is puzzling. It's impossible to tell when he is thinking about stepping down. My THOUGHT is that it would be stupid for Russ or Buddy or anyone saying when Buddy is stepping down if they are seeking a coach. The coach would say let me talk to Whaley though. Nix is going to select this coach unless Brandon doesn't like the coach a lot. Nix will work with the coach during the draft. IF it's a big name, that will likely make his departure quicker.

3] The three headed monster may be bad for bringing in a guy. Maybe the new guy won't like. I doubt very much it matters.

4] If this has any way lessened the role of Littman and Overdorf, this is a good day. I don't think any of us know the answer to that. That said, I have had very little problem whatsoever about money since Buddy Nix came in.

5] I did a little research a couple years ago, and outside of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Rooneys, there wasn't one GM in the league that had picked two consecutive good HCs. It's hard to find a good HC. A Lot of stuff has to happen simultaneously. Bad coaches have good years, good coaches have bad years. Chan didn't work but he actually could have with a few different things happening. He didn't so he had to go.

6] There are not a lot or even a few clear cut good HCs or QBs available. Better than we had? Probably. There are not a lot so prepare to not be wowed.

7] The one thing I hate about this is that I hate listening to Russ Brandon. He's just full of crap sometimes about how awesome and fabulous everything is. He's great at his job though. I would imagine that any coach coming in would like to work with him.

Alright, for the last word on this before I get out to work...this is just amazing to me. Equally for being very little as it is to being something. I am glad we are willing to change, glad we are willing to try something new but it is change within...

Nothing has changed today. Brandon has been running the team for awhile already. Nix is still the GM and will one day transition to Whaley, which we already strongly suspected. Disappointing day with nothing to get excited about.

Have to really wonder what will change since Brandon is still reporting to Wilson. Will he really have authority to do whatever it is he wants? We'll see, but this could end up being much ado about nothing.

The more things change, The more they stay the same.... the ONLY thing that changes is Rus Brandon now has say over everything on the team and RW steps away. Rus Brandon was the de facto GM from 2008-2010 after Marv left. If that tells you where this team is headed.

Buddy Nix has the exact same control over everything he had control over before this move, as Nix is head of football operations.

Let's not forget that Nix thought Gailey was the best offensive mind in the NFL. If it were up to Nix, Gailey would still be the HC just like he stated a few weeks ago. :sick: Oh, it was an organizational decision to fire Chan, but ultimately it was Buddy Nix's call....yea, right after RW told him what he wanted done.

Who the Bills hire as their next Head Coach will show the world exactly what has changed....if anything. This next HC will define the future of the team

He's not GM now, he's the guy in charge of the GM. Big difference.

Two interesting and equally valid takes from twitter regarding this news:

@
PeckOnSports

Massive change isn't always best idea. Bills are making changes, using some of same people in new roles. Some will be unhappy. I like it.

BfloBlog

Man, if only the Bills had a visionary like Russ Brandon working for them before today

How is the latter valid IF RALPH WILSON CONTROLLED EVERYTHING?

This isn't that hard people.

Have to really wonder what will change since Brandon is still reporting to Wilson. Will he really have authority to do whatever it is he wants? We'll see, but this could end up being much ado about nothing.

Brandon is no longer reporting to anyone--- not even Wilson. How did you miss that?

Actually he said that "he read somewhere… " He never said anything about The Stadium Wall.

They're interviewing Brandon one-on-one right now. Talking about the possibility of a new stadium.

He's not going to plug this website... I inferred that he lurks...

My point isn't that we didn't draft THESE guys, is that we failed to draft anyone to have a future QB on the roster.

Why not talk Ryan Mallet in the 3rd round two years ago? Or someone else, draft a QB or move yourself around in the draft to get yourself in a position to draft one.

Mallett is the best example you have??

Here are my thoughts:

1] This is both good and bad. Russ Brandon is GREAT at his job. If he does indeed stay out of football decisions as he says he will, then this is a positive step. It helps with bringing in a good coach.

2] The Nix thing is puzzling. It's impossible to tell when he is thinking about stepping down. My THOUGHT is that it would be stupid for Russ or Buddy or anyone saying when Buddy is stepping down if they are seeking a coach. The coach would say let me talk to Whaley though. Nix is going to select this coach unless Brandon doesn't like the coach a lot. Nix will work with the coach during the draft. IF it's a big name, that will likely make his departure quicker.

3] The three headed monster may be bad for bringing in a guy. Maybe the new guy won't like. I doubt very much it matters.

4] If this has any way lessened the role of Littman and Overdorf, this is a good day. I don't think any of us know the answer to that. That said, I have had very little problem whatsoever about money since Buddy Nix came in.

5] I did a little research a couple years ago, and outside of the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Rooneys, there wasn't one GM in the league that had picked two consecutive good HCs. It's hard to find a good HC. A Lot of stuff has to happen simultaneously. Bad coaches have good years, good coaches have bad years. Chan didn't work but he actually could have with a few different things happening. He didn't so he had to go.

6] There are not a lot or even a few clear cut good HCs or QBs available. Better than we had? Probably. There are not a lot so prepare to not be wowed.

7] The one thing I hate about this is that I hate listening to Russ Brandon. He's just full of crap sometimes about how awesome and fabulous everything is. He's great at his job though. I would imagine that any coach coming in would like to work with him.

Yes.

How is the latter valid IF RALPH WILSON CONTROLLED EVERYTHING?

This isn't that hard people.

Totally agree. This is actually a big change and something to be excited/positive about. I understand it's how you walk the walk not talk the talk, but I choose to believe this is the start of a new era

Because he is. Ralph owns the team. Ralph ultimately calls the shots still. He can fire Brandon tomorrow if he wants.

Yes, Ralph owns the team. The whole point of this news is that "the buck stops" with Russ. He alone has final say on everything.

I didn't see the bolded until the end.

I think there are plenty of GMs who've had the opportunity to pick a second head coach.

Two weeks ago I predicted that Gailey would be fired and that Nix would get another shot at hiring a head coach.

Because he is. Ralph owns the team. Ralph ultimately calls the shots still. He can fire Brandon tomorrow if he wants.

this. there is no mechanism to stop wilson from interfering unless he s no longer owner....and we all know, that's what we really wanted.