Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

The flip side is still.... Who's going to stop Ralph if he picks up the phone?

I'm hoping this means he won't but just saying that Russ is in charge by itself doesn't mean Ralph is out of the loop. I think he will step back but he doesn't necessarily have to totally step out.

Ralph won't be picking up the phone. That's the whole point in this power transition.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one knows if that's actually how it's going to play out. And to what degree Ralph is out of the process. And even if he's conpletely out he has the authority to fire Brandon or anyone else at any time if he doesn't like what they're doing. He's very much involved no matter.

This is a little paranoid, I guess. I think this was an organizational process Ralph wanted to start when he named Donahoe President in 2001, but that situation was such a disaster he insulated himself with the inner circle and we've been stuck spinning our wheels ever since.

SDS is spot on below:

Exactly. The Bills didn't hold a press conference to tell everyone they made a change in a powerpoint chart. There wasn't an emotional meeting because Ralph still is signing off on everything.

Rus Brandon CEO... and now president too.

Nix still doing the same thing as he did 2010 to 2013. No top QB in 3 years, 100 mill to find a pass rusher. Still lacking top WR & LBers

Is this more wheel spinning then a top fuel dragster? Who will the Bills hire as their next HC? I think Brandon as CEO & Pres means no Andy Reid or Bill Cowher.

Marty S might finally have a shot now tho.

Edited by FeartheLosing

i find it interesting that some of the same folks who so staunchly defend wilson, now admit how detrimental his meddling was. and now, he's totally changed his stripes but i'd feel more sanguin if we knew of a corporate document limiting wilsons input. and then there's still littman and overdorff. seems like baby steps to me. hope i'm wrong.

You are high or something?? What you hear as "defending" Ralph is just acknowledging what he's done to bring and keep football in Buffalo. No one ever EVER said he was some football genius. :doh: Do you actually comprehend what you read here??

PTR

The flip side is still.... Who's going to stop Ralph if he picks up the phone?

I'm hoping this means he won't but just saying that Russ is in charge by itself doesn't mean Ralph is out of the loop. I think he will step back but he doesn't necessarily have to totally step out.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens. Sadly, I feel Ralph made a point to travel to WNY for the holiday party as a part of this transition.

I didn't see the bolded until the end.

I think there are plenty of GMs who've had the opportunity to pick a second head coach.

Two weeks ago I predicted that Gailey would be fired and that Nix would get another shot at hiring a head coach.

I've seen a lot of GM's get two shots at the HC and it's reasonable. If every GM was fired with his first HC hire it would probably eliminate some decent GM's. The issue remains that Nix has not crafted and developed an identity for this team. And it's what I'd expect from a guy who's more interested in scouting than being at the top of the football house.

I'm not high and Nix for this reason. And even his area of expertise, scouting, isn't quite what the new team president said it is.

I am reserving judgement on the whole thing until they hire a new coach. I am thinking that the press conference was more of a sales pitch to potential coaches so that way, when the bills go up them, they won't get the door slammed in their face like last time. Otherwise, the PC really didn't have anything earthshattering to announce. there were a few interesting things to take out of there, but again, not anything worth a press conference over

I don't know how good/bad this is, but I will decide after I see who they hire as HC. If they get Chip Kelly, I will be both shocked and a kool aid drinker. If they get Russ Grimm, I am going to feel the same way I have felt for that past 12 years, and will be stocking up on whiskey for the bills 2013 season.

anyway, go bills!

This is a marketing campaign to trick a quality coaching staff to come here. Ralph's meddling history looms large in league circles. Whether this is just a clever ruse or not, it is what they are selling. Who can argue against that strategy?

And when will operators be available to take my call to renew my season tickets?

You are high or something?? What you hear as "defending" Ralph is just acknowledging what he's done to bring and keep football in Buffalo. No one ever EVER said he was some football genius. :doh: Do you actually comprehend what you read here??

PTR

i make a distinction between trying to produce a winner and trying to maximize profit. i don't think wilson apologists do. it's the difference between benign and malignant neglect.