Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

I've seen a lot of GM's get two shots at the HC and it's reasonable. If every GM was fired with his first HC hire it would probably eliminate some decent GM's. The issue remains that Nix has not crafted and developed an identity for this team. And it's what I'd expect from a guy who's more interested in scouting than being at the top of the football house.

I'm not high and Nix for this reason. And even his area of expertise, scouting, isn't quite what the new team president said it is.

I hope Nix gets the hire right this time.

I wonder if Whaley and Brandon will be more proactive about being in the checks and balances during this process than they were when Gailey was hired.

It seems like it because I know Brandon said that they will all (he, Nix, Whaley) be going to Arizona along with Jim Overdorf.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a little paranoid, I guess. I think this was an organizational process Ralph wanted to start when he named Donahoe President in 2001, but that situation was such a disaster he insulated himself with the inner circle and we've been stuck spinning our wheels ever since.

You like to take cheap shots and name call. You obviously don't know anything about corporate governance , ignorance and attitude often go hand in hand , as in your case.

Ralph owns the team, he calls the shots, he has final approval on everything. Brandon knows he has to do things with an eye to keep Ralph happy. And in a strict legal sense there are plenty of items that will need Ralph's explicit approval and sign off.

Example: You think it Brandon can hire a big name coach at a cost that would put the team in deficit and require Ralph to spend money as owner? And he can just do that and Ralph will passively go along? LOL

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I've seen a lot of GM's get two shots at the HC and it's reasonable. If every GM was fired with his first HC hire it would probably eliminate some decent GM's. The issue remains that Nix has not crafted and developed an identity for this team. And it's what I'd expect from a guy who's more interested in scouting than being at the top of the football house.

I'm not high and Nix for this reason. And even his area of expertise, scouting, isn't quite what the new team president said it is.

Nix picked Gailey as his first choice. Why does anyone in the world think his next choice will be better?

Nix openly stated he thought Gailey was one of the best offensive minds in the NFL... and yet his QB / team didn't know how to run a 2 min drill so many times this year

You assume a new owner would be magically better than Ralph. Remember Tom Golisano?

PTR

Golisano's entire edict to Larry Quinn was "I do not want to lose money" and then pretty much stayed out of everything. That was in the NHL. And that is what everyone hates him as a potential owner for the Bills is. If he gives his GM that exact same edict in the NFL, he will be an awesome owner and we would love it.

You like to take cheap shots and name call. You obviously don't know anything about corporate governance , ignorance and attitude often go hand in hand , as in your case.

Ralph owns the team, he calls the shots, he has final approval on everything. Brandon knows he has to do things with an eye to keep Ralph happy. And in a strip legal sense there are plenty of items that will need Ralph's explicit approval and sign off.

Example: You think it Brandon can hire a big name coach at a cost that would put the team in deficit and require Ralph to spend money as owner? And he can just do that and Ralph will passively go along? LOL

OK.

Ralph won't be picking up the phone. That's the whole point in this power transition.

I agree, I was just trying to better frame the other side- a few of them were coming off a bit unhinged to me and I think others- but when simplified their argument amounts to "if Ralph picks up the phone and says 'jump' the voice at the other end - whoever it is- will still reply with 'how high?'"

Can't say it's not true, but I don't think we see all this if he planned on doing that still.

I get the concern, but I agree with your assessment in the end.

I am reserving judgement on the whole thing until they hire a new coach. I am thinking that the press conference was more of a sales pitch to potential coaches so that way, when the bills go up them, they won't get the door slammed in their face like last time. Otherwise, the PC really didn't have anything earthshattering to announce. there were a few interesting things to take out of there, but again, not anything worth a press conference over

I don't know how good/bad this is, but I will decide after I see who they hire as HC. If they get Chip Kelly, I will be both shocked and a kool aid drinker. If they get Russ Grimm, I am going to feel the same way I have felt for that past 12 years, and will be stocking up on whiskey for the bills 2013 season.

anyway, go bills!

Good post. That's a very reasonable analysis.

Nix picked Gailey as his first choice. Why does anyone in the world think his next choice will be better?

Gailey wasn't the first choice....what are you gonna say at a press conference, this guy was our sixth choice?

I agree, I was just trying to better frame the other side- a few of them were coming off a bit unhinged to me and I think others- but when simplified their argument amounts to "if Ralph picks up the phone and says 'jump' the voice at the other end - whoever it is- will still reply with 'how high?'"

Can't say it's not true, but I don't think we see all this if he planned on doing that still.

I get the concern, but I agree with your assessment in the end.

For all we know Ralph ceded control because he knows he's close to the end.

PTR

You assume a new owner would be magically better than Ralph. Remember Tom Golisano?

PTR

my point is, if wilson doesn't care about say in the organization and his raison d'etre (as speculated here) isn't owning the bills, why not take the money and run.

I'm sorry. Were you expecting an announcement that the Bills are now in the playoffs?

PTR

No, I'm saying the proof is in the pudding. Like I said, talk is cheap. What are you saying? It's a brand new shiny sunshine filled era for the Bills? Carry on PTR and turn on Commander Tom while you're at it. :rolleyes:

No, I'm saying the proof is in the pudding. Like I said, talk is cheap. What are you saying? It's a brand new shiny sunshine filled era for the Bills? Carry on PTR and turn on Commander Tom while you're at it. :rolleyes:

PTR is a cheerleader for whatever the Bills spin up. It matters not. Don't take it personally, he'd be the first to cheer, even if Matt Millen took over the Bills' football operation. :)

WGR is reporting Ken Weisenhunt is a top candidate, OK now that's worse then Hue Jackson.

I heard that there was interest. They've shown interest in 2 dozen as a way to gauge whether the coach is interested. It's a long process and it really hasn't begun yet. Give it time.

And pudding takes a few minutes to make, unlike a hot pocket. I just heard about a huge change with the Bills. Will it work? We won't know for a while. But condemning the move now is stupid.

PTR

WGR is reporting Ken Weisenhunt is a top candidate, OK now that's worse then Hue Jackson.

They didn't say top candidate

PTR is a cheerleader for whatever the Bills spin up. It matters not. Don't take it personally, he'd be the first to cheer, even if Matt Millen took over the Bills' football operation. :)

Better being a cheerleader than a troll under a bridge.

At the PC, someone asked Nix how familiar he is with the upcoming "analytics department".

I found Nix's response very disheartening. He said something like "I don't know a heck of a lot about all that new-fangled fancy book learnin' stuff, but I'm about to find out!"

Shows his age and just how far out of the loop he is in 2013. The future of NFL success does not involve people of Nix's generation.

With Nix remaining, the "new future" announced today remains half-baked.